Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The jungle would be more sanitary. I wouldn't have to use an overflowing toilet. I'd be able to eat the food from the plane. And the chances of a jetliner crashing into the jungle and not having rescue/recovery begin within 12 hours or so is pretty minimal.

Attempting rescue/recovery and accomplishing it are very different things...ask the 1972 Uruguayan rugby team. ;) (Yes, I know they weren't in the jungle.)

This morning I also see that Matt Damon has gone on a toilet strike. Do you think the conditions of the Triumph passengers pushed his hand into starting it yesterday? :D

This thread has taken an interesting turn... I wish everyone on here could paint a picture of what they think is going on, then the closest to reality wins a prize...

Everything from people assuming the ship smells like rose and they are having a party... To people living in poop, sleeping in poop, potentially eating poop, and throwing bags of poop at other passengers... I assume it is somewhere in between the two situations.

I assume people haven't turned the entire top deck in to feces party, so maybe outside on the top deck is perfectly fine to sit? I really think all the talk about "they are in an unbearable life or death situation and need to get on a lifeboat and get off" and all the "I would make the best of it" talk is a complete joke. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON!!! When you are in this same situation (and hopefully, you never will be), then you can tell us what you would do.

I don't think anyone is throwing poop.

What I expect we will learn from eye witnesses is...

There was a fire.

3000 passengers and most likely many crew members were forced from their cabins into public areas.

The sanitation system stopped working. There was no running water.

For at least 24 hours, no one was allowed back to cabins, and there were only the public toilets available.

Because they couldn't flush, those toilets quickly began to overflow. That situation was aggravated by the list of the ship.

Liquids will take the path of least resistance, and it's plausible that a virtual river of feces contaminated urine began to flow under doors soaking carpets and through seams down walls.

That sight and smell of that would cause nausea and vomiting to the average person. Stress and seasickness can also cause vomiting. I think it's safe to assume that there was vomit in public areas--you see it on cruises even when everything is going OK.

Once one person vomits, it often causes a chain reaction.

At some point the function of some toilets was restored, however the toilets in public areas were "swamped" by overflow both on and around the toilet.

At some point the crew instructed passengers to urinate in showers and defecate in bio-hazard bags.

I think that's a pretty good description of what we know and what is reasonable to assume.

NBC is already in Mobile and broadcasting live from the terminal there this morning. It's going to be a media free for all. Carnival better be on their damage control A game.

I think Carnival has shown now, and in the past, their "A game" is less than stellar.

We know people step up to the plate during real natural disasters. I feel much more sympathy for those who completely lost their homes during Katrina and Sandy and had to live for weeks in their own flooded homes digging out their lost possessions without power, or worse, lost loved ones.

The Carnival Triumph is NOT like that. It's not a life or death situation, it's just very very very inconvenient and unpleasant. Those passengers who were seriously ill or in danger (AFAIK only the one passenger who required dialysis) was transferred off the ship.

Lifeboats work near shore and at sea. It's possible to transfer everyone off the ship in an emergency. It's too risky to do so as stated by the USCG commander when the ship can simply be towed to port where people can disembark safely.

Since these people are in no immediate danger they fall back to their normal behavior. I can see a majority of passengers behaving civilly and helping each other out. Sure there will be people complaining, children crying or restless, and those who are making the best of the situation. But there are always a small percentage of passengers on any ship on any cruiseline who have a sense of entitlement and find pleasure in making the crew and other passengers feel miserable. You know the ones ...they challenge every charge on the bill and want their daily service charge refunded, complaining while in line making everyone around them miserable at guest services while they leave secretly smirking at each other proudly. I'm sure these unpleasant creatures are in the minority and the ones seen hoarding a few extra sandwiches and cutting lines. These are the people who are going to run to reporters and complain about every single inconvenience as soon as they leave the ship.

I do feel bad for people who's livelihoods are in jeopardy, had their vacation of a lifetime ruined, or are in sever discomfort such as the children and elderly. I'm not talking about them!

During the first couple of days, power went out and so did toilets. While Carnival focused on passenger safety as their top priority, I'm sure people continued to use toilets only to find they were not flushing. By the time the poop bags were being handed out, it was too late. A couple of days later and the smell is everywhere and sewage is leaking.

Without power, people were fed sandwiches made first with perishable items, but without power and refrigeration, perishable food goes bad fast in the hot Caribbean. So eventually they relied on peanut butter and cheese sandwiches and the like. Power was eventually restored and they did serve a hot buffet which was probably some thing like hot cereals and things made from nonperishable items. Public toilets returned to service and of course there were long lines as people wanted relief from poop bags and a stinky cabin.

And now the passengers are being towed into Mobile with a story of a lifetime, while the select few scramble for their 15 minutes of fame ... and their lawyers.

And they lived happily ever after... The End...sort of :rolleyes:

There was a fire.

3000 passengers and most likely many crew members were forced from their cabins into public areas.

For at least 24 hours, no one was allowed back to cabins, and there were only the public toilets available.

Because they couldn't flush, those toilets quickly began to overflow. That situation was aggravated by the list of the ship.

Liquids will take the path of least resistance, and it's plausible that a virtual river of feces contaminated urine began to flow under doors soaking carpets and through seams down walls.

That sight and smell of that would cause nausea and vomiting to the average person. Stress and seasickness can also cause vomiting. I think it's safe to assume that there was vomit in public areas--you see it on cruises even when everything is going OK.

At some point the function of some toilets was restored, however the toilets in public areas were "swamped" by overflow both on and around the toilet.

At some point the crew instructed passengers to urinate in showers and defecate in bio-hazard bags.

I think that's a pretty good description of what we know and what is reasonable to assume.

Well said, there is so much speculation here that I really can even imagine reading this entire thread. Thanks for summarizing everything.

We know people step up to the plate during real natural disasters. I feel much more sympathy for those completely lost their homes during Katrina and Sandy and had to live for weeks in their own flooded homes digging out their lost possessions, or worse, lost loved ones.

The Carnival Triumph is NOT like that. It's not a life or death situation, it's just very inconvenient and unpleasant. Those passengers who are seriously ill or in danger (like the passenger who required dialysis) would be transferred of the ship. The lifeboats work near shore and at sea. It's possible to transfer everyone off the ship in an emergency. It's just riskier to do so as stated by the USCG commander.

Since these people are no imminent danger they fall back to their normal behavior. I can see a majority of passengers behaving civilly and helping each other out. But there are always a small percentage of passengers on any ship on any cruiseline who have a sense of entitlement and fine pleasure in making the crew and other passengers feel miserable. You know the ones who will challenge every charge on the bill and want their daily service charge refunded, complaining while in line at guest services while they secretly smirk at each other proudly. I'm sure these unpleasant creatures minority seen hoarding a few extra sandwiches. These are the people who are going to complain about every single inconvenience as soon as they leave the ship.

I do feel bad for people who's livelihoods are in jeopardy or had their vacation of a lifetime ruined. I'm not talking about them!

During the first couple of days, power went out and so did toilets. While Carnival focused on passenger safety at their top priority, I'm sure people continued to use toilets only to find they were not flushing. By the time the poop bags were being handed out, it was too late. A couple of days later and the smell is everywhere and sewage is leaking.

Without power, people were fed sandwiches made first with perishable items, but without power and refrigeration, perishable food goes bad fast. So eventually it turned into peanut butter and cheese sandwich. Power was eventually restored and they did serve a hot buffet and public toilets returned to service.

And now the passengers are being towed into Mobile with a stored of a lifetime while the select few scramble for their 15 minutes of fame ... and their lawyers.

The End...sort of :rolleyes:

I agree with this post. I have a ton of hope for the human race but there are a few people out there (the minority, thank God) who will incite riots (just Google "cruise ship mutiny" for fine examples) and make everyone else's life a living hell (more so than they're already living through). I firmly believe that the majority of the passengers onboard are getting through this with a minimum of drama.

We know people step up to the plate during real natural disasters. I feel much more sympathy for those who completely lost their homes during Katrina and Sandy and had to live for weeks in their own flooded homes digging out their lost possessions without power, or worse, lost loved ones.

The Carnival Triumph is NOT like that. It's not a life or death situation, it's just very very very inconvenient and unpleasant. Those passengers who were seriously ill or in danger (AFAIK only the one passenger who required dialysis) was transferred off the ship.

Lifeboats work near shore and at sea. It's possible to transfer everyone off the ship in an emergency. It's too risky to do so as stated by the USCG commander when the ship can simply be towed to port where people can disembark safely.

Since these people are in no immediate danger they fall back to their normal behavior. I can see a majority of passengers behaving civilly and helping each other out. Sure there will be people complaining, children crying or restless, and those who are making the best of the situation. But there are always a small percentage of passengers on any ship on any cruiseline who have a sense of entitlement and find pleasure in making the crew and other passengers feel miserable. You know the ones ...they challenge every charge on the bill and want their daily service charge refunded, complaining while in line making everyone around them miserable at guest services while they leaving secretly smirking at each other proudly. I'm sure these unpleasant creatures in the minority are the ones seen hoarding a few extra sandwiches and cutting lines. These are the people who are going to run to reporters and complain about every single inconvenience as soon as they leave the ship.

I do feel bad for people who's livelihoods are in jeopardy or had their vacation of a lifetime ruined. I'm not talking about them!

During the first couple of days, power went out and so did toilets. While Carnival focused on passenger safety as their top priority, I'm sure people continued to use toilets only to find they were not flushing. By the time the poop bags were being handed out, it was too late. A couple of days later and the smell is everywhere and sewage is leaking.

Without power, people were fed sandwiches made first with perishable items, but without power and refrigeration, perishable food goes bad fast in the hot Caribbean. So eventually they relied on peanut butter and cheese sandwiches and the like. Power was eventually restored and they did serve a hot buffet which was probably some thing hot cereals and things made from nonperishable items. Public toilets returned to service and of course there were long lines as people wanted relief from poop bags and a stinky cabin.

And now the passengers are being towed into Mobile with a story of a lifetime, while the select few scramble for their 15 minutes of fame ... and their lawyers.

And they lived happily ever after... The End...sort of :rolleyes:

Thank you for writing what I have been thinking through all 135 pages of this thread.

There were problems with the engines just prior to this sailing. Here is the post from the other Carnival link on Cruise Critic. I think the point the lawyer is making is that the cruise lines are willing to risk problems at sea in order to keep the profits coming in. Seems like the repair work might have been faulty causing the fire to occur.

I did the Behind the Fun tour. Normally one would tour the engine room. Could not because they were still rebuilding an engine. Was told there is 5 engines it takes 4 to run top speed. They were rebuilding one when a second one developed problems. So they were down to 3. They got 4 running for our cruise was finishing #5 during our cruise.

Well said, there is so much speculation here that I really can even imagine reading this entire thread. Thanks for summarizing everything.

Agree. Me too. I don't know what the truth is, but that post has got to be close. Thanks ducklite.

I'm not denying that the ship was seized after Concordia, but rather that there is a real stretch in saying that the Triumph situation was in any way the same.

I'm pretty sure Carnival Corp posted a bond for it's release, but I'm not positive.

Oh. And yeah, I don't remember what happened with that. If it was a lawful attachment to gain jurisdiction, they would have had to. But, it was a foreign decedent and a foreign cruise operator so the attachment was arguably in error in which case they wouldn't have had to post bond.

Not sure if they did just because the time to contest it would have taken too long and they needed to get underway. But, if it was no good, I can't see CCL's attys posting bond if doing so would subject them to the jurisdiction of the Texas courts without having time later to contest it and move for dismissal.

Goodmornig fellow CC computer cruisers!!

I guess I'm fortunate that our local Pensacola and Mobile media will be covering the story. It will be interesting to see the difference between them and the drama queens and kings from the networks, specially CNN.

I tend to agree that there will be many stories about people helping people, but sadly, they may never get any press. I also think the elderly generation, who lived thru WWII will have the least amount of complainers. They know real hardships and tend to just roll with the punches and probably realize that the situation could have been alot worse. That age group for sure, doesn't want to get in a frigging lifeboat, period!!

I know if put in the same situation that my family would adapt to the surroundings and make the best outta a less than favorable situation as would alot of other families. You will always have the me me me crowd. I would just find a way to distance my self from them.

BTW...I guess you can add me to the CC Coastie board...1972-1995 (retired)(and loving it):D:D

Do you not get it? Assuming that the reports are correct, it is sweltering in the lower decks. We can assume that elevators and cabin doors are not working/working sporadically. There is no running water in the cabins. You have thousands of people. Where are they supposed to go to the bathroom if they can't go in their own cabins? People are sick?

Where are they hoarding food items? In their sweltering cabins or on their laps sitting around the lido deck? No refrigeration. Think. Someone reported she had a cucumber and onion sandwich yesterday (read NY Daily News). Would you want a cucumber that had not been washed?

Use your head. It's not in people's natures to pee on the floor in public.

There are literally a handful of second hand reports. I doubt the reports can be extrapulated to conditions broadly.

In a community of 4, 000 souls one is likely to find sick individuals. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that motion sickness was an issue. I don't recall any reports of illness.

There is water aboard and I expect that Carnival food handlers have not forgotten their training. There is no reason to think that safe food handling protocols are not being observed. Food choices are likely limited, it will be interesting to learn how creative the kitchen had to get to provide 12, 000 meals each day. I feel for the picky eaters. They will be having a very difficult time.

It's naturall for helpless loved ones to imagine the worst. I just wish Carnival had a media spokesperson who could provide a little more balance with actual facts.

To the firefighter who responded: Thank you for your service and for being right on target. Anxiety/trauma will be a very real after effect of this experience for some. Joke all you want (those that have), but for anyone who has experienced an event for which they did not anticipate and cannot remove themselves from, some will be forever changed. These are the people I hope Carnival takes care of. Yes, most are resilient and are doing whatever they can, but for those who suffer anxiety (I am one), it is really difficult to get through.

Do they have an "A game"?

Tom

UG's publicist better make sure he's there too -- no matter what the consequences, bc being a no show now will only make it worse.

I missed his press conference last night, and was only able to read a brief snippet on here about what he said. I would have liked to have "seen" his demeanor.

There were problems with the engines just prior to this sailing. Here is the post from the other Carnival link on Cruise Critic. I think the point the lawyer is making is that the cruise lines are willing to risk problems at sea in order to keep the profits coming in. Seems like the repair work might have been faulty causing the fire to occur.

I know of a situation where engine work was done on a large diesel engine, and a week or two later it caught fire and burned up the equipment it was powering (no suppression system.)

The resulting investigation determined that the wrong clamps had been used on the hydraulic hose connections during the recent repair and they had "wiggled" loose over time, spraying highly flammable hydraulic fluid all over the hot engine and starting the fire. It was human error and entirely preventable.

I'm not saying that the same thing happened on the Triumph, but that or a similar type of human error is more than plausible.

UG's publicist better make sure he's there too -- no matter what the consequences, bc being a no show now will only make it worse.

I missed his press conference last night, and was only able to read a brief snippet on here about what he said. I would have liked to have "seen" his demeanor.

He looked VERY, very tired, like he had not slept much recently.

As we'll be boarding the Allure tomorrow, I will be at a disadvantage from a bandwidth standpoint. DARN, right when the real "stuff" will hit the fan too!

I'll never be able to catch up. :eek:

Tom

Got a question for ya......in your signature, you have this:

"RCI: 1 (Diamond) "....... does that mean you went on Royal Caribbean and bought 1 diamond on that cruise? :o

There was a fire.

You paint a lovely picture.

If the listing gets to the point where people are in danger of falling over board or the ship is in danger of sinking, then they will do something about it... But it can list very far before anything needs to be done.

So what you are saying, if/when the list gets bad enough and the ship is in risk of tipping over and sinking, then they will

Panick and start trying to get everyone off the ship, but at that point the life boats will not work on one side of the ship, so everyone will have to climb to the other side, in the dark, and hope there are enough life boats left for everyone.

Good Plan! Lets hope it does not tip any further.

I keep seeing all these posts about how the fire was caused by a known problem, engines will have to be replaced, there is extensive damage, and Carnival knew the ship wasn't seaworthy, etc etc etc

Do you guys have any PROOF of this? You're speculating. Show us some proof or stop saying stuff like that until you get the facts.

Again I'll reiterate I am NOT a Carnival cheerleader; I've been on one cruise with them. Yeah, it was wonderful. After this I'm wary of using them again. However until we get all of the FACTS people need to stop making baseless accusations because you have NO idea what caused the fire, how much damage there is or what Carnival knew and didn't know! PLEASE! Let's keep this thread to facts!

Archived