Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Yikes - think a new thread should be created for its arrival into port on Thursday, February 14, 2013??????

Media chaos / video chaos / photo chaos - I think the links to Youtube, links to instagram, links to Flickr, links to shutterfly, links to smugmug, etc. are going to overwhelm this thread.

Thoughts?

I was thinking the same thing. That way we don't have to start at approx. page #200 to read first hand accounts.

...wonder what people on board would have had awaiting them in Progresso if that had been their debark point and what kind of concern that would have raised amongst the cc crowd?

I'd imagine it would be the same: that they'd hope that CCL would make the best possible arrangements to not add further hours to their ordeal, and if that meant that the nearest area to Progreso that this could be done was 2.5 hours away, then so be it. But, if there might be something 10-20 mins away, that would be expected and preferable.

They have indeed - although some of the Carnival shills are still trying to spin things

It's always interesting reading someone defending the company, not their company, versus their fellow customer/guest. I like defending the rights of the passenger on any line I sail.

There are car accidents all the time does that mean that people will stop driving cars? There are airplane crashes, people still fly on planes. There are shark attacks all the time in Florida, do people stop going in the water? My point is that this should stop no one from taking a cruise, I have one booked on Carnival and have not even for a minute thought of changing to another type of vacation. All of life is a gamble, at least at this point no one has died. I feel really sorry for everything those people have gone thru and hope it does not happen again, but it probabbly will.

for those thinking Mobile would be the best place to stay Thursday night, you should read the online reviews of their available hotel space. I found 1 four star, a handful of 3 star, and an abundance of small 2 star.

carnival needs to have 1500 rooms for pax, 500 rooms for staff and crew, rooms for those working to get passengers off of the ship. i am sure concerned family members maybe booking another 100 to 200 rooms, media 50 rooms, and inspectors, etc. another 10 to 20 rooms. I figure this disaster, alone, would need about 2500 rooms in at least 3 star or better hotels along with restaurants to feed all of these passengers. Personally I don't think Mobile is equipped to handle this influx of people along with their regular clientele. just my opinion.

And the reason Mobile is not a regular embarkation port is because they do not have the infrastructure to handle ships carrying 3000 pax, a terminal to handle it or, I believe a pier long enough for most of the big ships. And obviously the town has not felt it worth their while to provide these services.

and, nowhere, have I not expressed concern for the passengers and crew. they deserve all my well wishes. but i do find the overly dramatic angst from others totally self-serving and majorly entitled. i'll allow that mothers and fathers of the under 18 on board have a right to be overly concerned, but all of the others seem to be more concerned about themselves and their sensibilities than the plight of their loved ones.

Ever been delayed on an overseas flight....inconvenienced only to the point of wanting to shower and sleep? Believe me, you aren't going to pick a Ritz Carlton hours away over the nearest shower and bed. These people have been through days of much worse.

None of us are in a position to discern "dramatic angst." Nor whether it is "self seving" or comes from feeling "entitled." Whyis anyone sitting comfortably at home "entitled" to judge these people? When you have endured a similar experience,then feel free to be sarcastic and belittling.

This is like swanning thrrough a hospital and criticizing how people deal with stress and discomfort! Talk about a sense of entitlement! Presuming to judge a y of these peopleis an obscene display of self apponted "superiority" that really comes across as appalling.

I've read/heard they will not dock if they get back in darkness. The ship cannot be maneuvered the 20 miles safely in the dark.

Honest to God, if they make those people wait until tomorrow to get off, I think people are going to start a mutiny on that ship. :mad:

Make it two. Inevitably initial reports get revised as the larger picture emerges. Waiting for actual confirmed facts is not cheerleading. It is common sense.

Why are you so continually dismissive of the actual facts presented to date? You continue to assert they are untrue and exaggerated yet every report out there, including the new one today has confirmed the same things

These folks just can't catch a break... From CNN:

Rough weather overnight slowed the Triumph and the three tugboats leading it to Mobile, Alabama, and the ship is now expected to arrive at the port by 7 p.m. (8 p.m. ET), according to an official brief on plans for the ship's recovery. It had been expected as early as 3 p.m.

If they can't get it into port before nightfall, it will be delayed another day. I can't remember if it was an official from the port or the USCG, but one of them made it clear that it would be too dangerous to bring her in after dark.

I agree with whoever said that was probably the reason for the third tug. "More power, Scotty!"

PS--The same front came over my area. The temperature dropped over 20 degrees since this time yesterday, and it's been raining on and off-sometimes heavily with some decent wind gusts. :(

one last thought.

none of the people leaving the ship are hostage to carnival. if they don't like the arrangements they are free to find their own rooms in mobile, a restaurant, a car rental agency, somewhere to buy clothes, and their own way home.

Honestly, this is what I would do, just cut my losses, spend $100-$150 for a nice room in Mobile, and find my own way home. Not sure I'd even bother trying to chase down Carnival or a TA for reimbursement. The price of an immediate shower, a clean bed, some fresh food would completely outweigh a free 2.5 hour bus ride, long wait in the lobby for a room, free meals with tables full of cranky pax, etc....

one last thought.

none of the people leaving the ship are hostage to carnival. if they don't like the arrangements they are free to find their own rooms in mobile, a restaurant, a car rental agency, somewhere to buy clothes, and their own way home. for the most part these people are adults and have the capability of doing such. if they don't like how they are being treated they can just walk off of the ship and search for the nearest reporter to bitch to and to try and negotiate a nice hefty sum to appear on their programs and spill the beans.

wonder what people on board would have had awaiting them in Progresso if that had been their debark point and what kind of concern that would have raised amongst the cc crowd?

Gee mommy, go take a chill pill and go watch Ellen. These people have a right to birch. I Am sure you would be screaming to high heaven.

This thread has gotten beyond ridiculous. Almost 4000 posts already. I am REALLY surprised with as much censorship that goes on by the Admin on these boards that this pissing match between the Carnival haters and so called "cheerleaders" (what an overused and tired term :rolleyes: )has been allowed to go on as long as it has.

There are no facts being reported anymore. Just mudslinging is all.

I remember the Splendor thread being the same way. A bunch of people hacking it back and forth at each other that werent on board the ship in the first place. Then, once the ship got to port, people started posting that ACTUALLY WERE on the ship and things werent near as bad as were reported by the media and folks here that had no clue :rolleyes:

Yall carry on though.

I was thinking the same thing. That way we don't have to start at approx. page #200 to read first hand accounts.

They probably don't want to ruin a good thing.

This board hasn't had this much activity or excitement in almost 2 years!

Honestly, this is what I would do, just cut my losses, spend $100-$150 for a nice room in Mobile, and find my own way home. Not sure I'd even bother trying to chase down Carnival or a TA for reimbursement. The price of an immediate shower, a clean bed, some fresh food would completely outweigh a free 2.5 hour bus ride, long wait in the lobby for a room, free meals with tables full of cranky pax, etc....

Agreed. But unfortunately, not everyone will have that option.

This thread has gotten beyond ridiculous. Almost 4000 posts already. I am REALLY surprised with as much censorship that goes on by the Admin on these boards that this pissing match between the Carnival haters and so called "cheerleaders" (what an overused and tired term :rolleyes: )has been allowed to go on as long as it has.

There are no facts being reported anymore. Just mudslinging is all.

I remember the Splendor thread being the same way. A bunch of people hacking it back and forth at each other that werent on board the ship in the first place. Then, once the ship got to port, people started posting that ACTUALLY WERE on the ship and things werent near as bad as were reported by the media and folks here that had no clue :rolleyes:

Yall carry on though.

Yet that's exactly what this board is about. To talk about things. So some are speculating? So what? Some forget this board is for entertainment, and we are not actually cruising while visiting here.

just like the anti-carnival crew has been out in full force doing. a coin has two sides, just the one side can never see the other.

not sure who here has been anti-Carnival. What I see are people who are pro-passenger, concerned about the squalid conditions aboard this ship, and Carnival's mismanagment of the situation.

then on the other hand there are folks like yourself who tow the company line and dismiss the reports from people onboard as lies and exaggerations.

I feel sorry for the passengers and support them and want justice for them.

From a local news station in Mobile -Channel 10- (I'm sitting here shaking my head in wonder):confused::(

Quoting .....

According to a Carnival press release, the passengers will either be bused to Galveston or taken from the cruise terminal to hotels in New Orleans nearly three hours away. From there, they will be put on charter flights…………….According to Mobile Mayor Sam Jones, there are 7,000 hotel rooms near the terminal, to be exact. "I think that the people in this community, the hospitality industry, would be perfectly capable of assisting them if they asked for that assistance. We’d be perfectly capable of assisting them both with hotels and airports,” said Jones.

Archived