Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Since when does Carnival allow people to bring bottles of booze?

You are allowed to bring one 750ml bottle of wine per adult and you can buy bottle of alchohol through the Bon Voyage service and have it delievered to your room.

They will not allow cargo ships that are fully functional into the harbor at night, they are not going to allow a wounded cruise ship with no power in either.

You have no idea if you would ever cruise again IF you were on that ship, to sit at your computer and say oh that wouldn't bother me is not realistic. Until you were in there shoes you have no idea what you would do.

BTW, I said "it will never deter us from cruising". I don't believe I mentioned "if I were on the ship"...:rolleyes: Although, I know it would be the same.

What about your lost wages?

what exactly do you mean? From MY job? I use vacation time, so I technically get paid while on vacation. I guess I would lose those days, but I have plenty of time banked up. I guess it would suck for those with a strick vacation policy.

Correct from what I understand. They can illuminate the dock for final maneuvers of course, but moving an unpowered ship into the harbor would be very risky. If they can't get into the harbor by dusk, I don't see them trying till the morning.

It's not clear to me if the comments about not docking Wednesday night and waiting for the morning were because the harbor would not have been entered in daylight. It may be that the concern is with towing the ship through the harbor in the dark as opposed to the actual process of docking her.

As I write this CNN is reporting that Triumph has been further delayed, even with 4 tugs working and she is not expected in until sometime between 9 pm and midnight. Triumph is apparently still 50 miles out.

CNN just said that the harbor master told them Triumph is too big to tow safely into the harbor in the dark. So unless something changes it seems likely that Triumph won't get in until tomorrow morning.

It's beginning to look like a voyage of the damned.

If this is true, I am astonished and shocked that they don't GET that all these passengers want is to shower, eat and sleep in a clean bed. I assumed a hotel would be nearby to accommodate these needs and it sounds like there were plenty of offers that have been refused by Carnival.

Yes some will take the immediate bus ride, but I am willing to bet most want the basic human necessities to just rejuvenate alittle.

Even a 4 hour respite at a local hotel could be done and then continue on with transportation. Don't make passengers wait for their luggage. Have Carnival hire staff to bring luggage to THEM at hotel. Sounds like plenty of hotels offered.

Am I being too unrealistic?

It sounds like the arrangements being made are easier for Carnival and NOT passengers. Again, if I sound too harsh, I'm really just thinking about how these folks are feeling and what immediate needs they may have.

I totally agree. Aren't they even going to feed them a hot meal first?

Try it in your own home.

Open your patio door or front door all the way in the middle of summer and see how well all the other rooms stay cool.

Or do the same in the middle of winter and see how warm all the other rooms stay.

I have done so! When we entertain we use the lanai and have the 8' wide French doors open with the AC running. The house stays cool outside about a five foot area immediately around the open doors.

I've been following the Carnival Triumph page on FB. Several people have posted within the last few minutes that they're starting to receive texts and e-mails from passengers on the ship. Here's one I just read:

Just received an email from my Mother in Law on the ship... "We are doing good. Septic problem is the worst. Not sure free cruise, booze and vouchers are worth it. Thank goodness we are with friends."

Exactly! People don't realize that opeing a door or a window in a closed AC/heating system just screws up the system. It is not a design flaw.

I have yet to run any system chiller/boiler yet that can cool/heat the entire Gulf of Mexico!

On modern ships using VAV we do have switches that will signal the damper motor to the closed position when the balcony door is left open. It makes no sense to have a thermostat call for heat or cool when someone leaves the door wide open!

I always get a laugh at those folks that have their balcony door open while under way (particularly with forward facing cabins) and open their door to the passageway. It will do a nice job at re-arranging the room. The door can also slam shut with sufficient force to cut off fingers too so don't do that! ;)

Cheers,

Norman

Which is the "distract at all cost" tactic.

And why after being so successful with being up front about the whole Splendor incident, which created very good PR on the west coast (even though he's not on board), and was able to talk quite freely (always told IT's HIS PAGE!), the exact opposite is happening on the East coast which will not be as friendly.

JH was on the Splendor and thus could give accurate, real-time reports.

He is not on the Triumph and thus has no more knowledge of what is happening on the ship than you or I do.

what exactly do you mean? From MY job? I use vacation time, so I technically get paid while on vacation. I guess I would lose those days, but I have plenty of time banked up. I guess it would suck for those with a strick vacation policy.

Same here. My wife and I spent 4 extra days on the Norwegian Gem due to hurricane Sandy and missed 2 days of work. Luckily for us we have good jobs with great bosses who understood that we were stranded and didn't dock us any wages. They didn't even ask us to use extra vacation time to make up the lost days.

For a Christmas present we offered my mother-in-law a selection of trips, one of which was a cruise. She's never cruised and was leaning toward that option, until this. Now she's looking at one of the other options.

My wife and I have our persuasion stories ready, because we think she still really wants to do the cruise. She's just scared and specifically pointed to this incident.

A couple of options--fall New England/Canadian cruise--the ship pretty much hugs the coast line the entire way--or a river cruise.

A couple of options--fall New England/Canadian cruise--the ship pretty much hugs the coast line the entire way--or a river cruise.

Alaska for some of the voyage too. Except the glacier day and inside passage day.

JH was on the Splendor and thus could give accurate, real-time reports.

He is not on the Triumph and thus has no more knowledge of what is happening on the ship than you or I do.

I didn't realize he was the only person in the company who knew how to write about an on board experience. Now things are starting to make sense.

It's 7-10 hours from the buoy, and they aren't to the buoy yet.

Most guests are going to NOLA.

Questioned about not staying in Mobile. He didn't answer the question.

Edit: NOW he answered -- said when he had logistics experts reviewed potential plans, the air charter requirements and size of aircraft needed dictated not feasible to do from Mobile.

Then why in the world are you on this site? :confused:

I was just curious what was happening with that cruise, and I have friends who cruise....I enjoy travelling, so I'm always curious how things get handled when the you know what hots the fan.

Per the Cruise Line..

Onward transit via the airport was not feasible to arrange out of Mobile, NOLA was the closest option that could handle the charter flights to houston (paraphrased). "It was not Logistically feasible"

I didn't realize he was the only person in the company who knew how to write about an on board experience. Now things are starting to make sense.

I know there will be conspiracy folks but I was talking about the Mobile airport not being able to logistically handle the charters due to it's size. That does appear to be the reason they are using New Orleans instead of Mobile according to Carnival.

Archived