Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

If that ship won't get to the coast till dark it'll be tomorrow before they dock and passengers get off, right? They said they won't dock in the dark.

They won't transit the channel in the dark, but once they start up the channel, they have to dock, or go back out to sea to anchor.

CNN has reported that Carnival has decided the ship will dock tonight, period.

The generator was delivered and installed yesterday. It was used for food preparation so passengers got a hot meal last night. According to Carnival conditions aboard have greatly improved.

CNN showing live feed.

Nice to see very calm seas. Current speed apparently around 7 mph.

I would not be out on the open deck, I'd be on the deck(s) that is covered on top but open to the sides. Otherwise, I'd be fried by the sun. I imagine that is what many folks are doing. They are certainly not hanging out in their cabins without a/c.

Considering how cool it has gotten, it is 46 in Mobile probably upper 50's to low 60's where the ship is, if balcony doors are open along with cabin doors, those decks may actually cool down a bit now. Lower decks with no balcony may not be great though. So, as long as the stench is bearable, there might be more people in their cabins now than before.

CNN live interview with passenger Larry Poret

"First told to use buckets and put them in the hallways, and when those were full, later to use the showers, and then when the ship started to list, the stuff would slosh around out onto the floor and into the halls" (paraphrashing) :eek:

He looked like he's ready to chew some arse! :D

He's a Texan thru and thru......we've said Disney with them 8 times and the triumph with them last year, same time, same sailing.......believe me....he's no done. He said his wife called him a few minutes ago......he sail all they could do was cry!

I know there will be conspiracy folks but I was talking about the Mobile airport not being able to logistically handle the charters due to it's size. That does appear to be the reason they are using New Orleans instead of Mobile according to Carnival.

I had suggested that two days ago, although I expected that they would make arrangements for "day rooms" so people could shower and relax a bit before they got put on the buses to NOLA.

I find this disturbing...CCL can get a musical group on to perform an impromptu concert, but not get some basic necessities to the passengers? Who at CCL spent their time trying to book a band, instead of HELPING the situation?

The post was satire. There is no such band as "Spinal Tap"--they are a bunch of actors that make a (very funny!) movie that has a cult following.

He's a Texan thru and thru......we've said Disney with them 8 times and the triumph with them last year, same time, same sailing.......believe me....he's no done. He said his wife called him a few minutes ago......he sail all they could do was cry!

And I don't mean to make light of it... If my wife or daughter were aboard I'd be really upset.

CNN has reported that Carnival has decided the ship will dock tonight, period.

The generator was delivered and installed yesterday. It was used for food preparation so passengers got a hot meal last night. According to Carnival conditions aboard have greatly improved.

CNN showing live feed.

Nice to see very calm seas. Current speed apparently around 7 mph.

It's not carnivals call, gonna be port authority or coast guard.....I've been told tenders have been notified just in case there not allowed

Listening to that interview, one thing strikes me.

I said after the Splendor that one of the better points appeared to be John Heald's communications to the passengers. Seems like that is a real breakdown point on this one.

While they have apparently improved in some areas, this is one I can't understand. A communication plan should be part of EVERY emergency procedure, including regular dissemination of information according to a set schedule.

Newest flyby on CNN shows few people on deck again. I know it's chilly, but IMHO that indicates to me that there probably isn't sewage running in the hallways any more. If there were there's no way you'd keep me inside.

There's a guy on CNN right now saying the reports of sewage was accurate, mattresses belonging to people sleeping in the halls got soaked with it. Also it's cold and people are wearing bathrobes and layers of clothing to keep warm.

There is no way in heck they could safely tender in a dark harbor. If they had to move her in, possibly could be done via land based spots with air support.

It's not carnivals call, gonna be port authority or coast guard.....I've been told tenders have been notified just in case there not allowed

I'm not using a public system to check..

And you proved my point. If it costs more to bus them to NOLA then they save in hotels, the cost argument goes out the window.

They said they couldn't get flights out of Mobile. That makes sense. Like I said before, there's resource constraints that sometime preclude the option you would think would be common sense.

My point is that they should have given people rooms to get cleaned up in or to make their own ongoing arrangements from instead of herding them like pigs onto a motor coach for another almost three hour ride to NOLA.

Oh those poor people...this is such a mess. Scary to think about people "stealing" on board....I hope the security fills the brig and that those who were jerks get nothing from Carnival ...that is just scaryI can't imagine how the elderly, disabled, people with kids are managing...just horrible.

I seem to remember that Splendor, while bad, had food drops and after first day or so they had food and drinks?? Maybe better weather than

in the gulf in Feb? 40 degrees....that is cold..brrrr

I don't pretend to be a logistics expert but it seems that Carnival needs to do "whatever it takes" to make these poor folks feel welcomed back

day rooms at hotels or some gym to shower in?? what about hot food and drinks right there at the port?? Heck, welcome them home with chocolates and some gift cards to a (chain? easy available) restaurant??

Archived