NEW: You Will Require An International Driving Permit To Drive In Florida

Chuck1j

http://blog.usrentacar.co.uk/index.php/2013/02/13/new-you-will-require-an-international-driving-permit-to-drive-in-florida/

There’s nothing better than altering a law and then not actually telling anyone, and this is what appears to have happened in Florida this year.idp

Florida Statute 322.04 that became valid on January 1st 2013 now states that non-residence full driving licenses (paper and card parts) must be accompanied by an International Driving permit.

The specific law alteration is -

322.04©(1)Persons exempt from obtaining driver license-

© A nonresident who is at least 16 years of age operating a motor vehicle of the type for which a Class E driver license is required in this state if the nonresident has in his or her immediate possession:

(2) An International Driving Permit issued in his or her name in his or her country of residence and a valid license issued in that country.

Share this with everyone you know traveling south to the US.

I have just been reading about this in the Canadian News too. What happens to the million plus Canadians who are already in Florida and they can't even get this 'International' license in Florida? It is issued by the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) for fee of $25 plus passport picture and is valid for one year only.

I can understand why Florida would want an international license if it is written in Mandarin or Greek but not those from Canada, Brittan or other English speaking countries.

Happily, for our upcoming trip in two weeks we aren't renting. Maybe it will be straightened out before we travel again.

What is the Floridian Government thinking???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In the long run this could hurt their tourist industry!

I have just been reading about this in the Canadian News too. What happens to the million plus Canadians who are already in Florida and they can't even get this 'International' license in Florida? It is issued by the Canadian Automobile Association (CAA) for fee of $25 plus passport picture and is valid for one year only.

I can understand why Florida would want an international license if it is written in Mandarin or Greek but not those from Canada, Brittan or other English speaking countries.

Happily, for our upcoming trip in two weeks we aren't renting. Maybe it will be straightened out before we travel again.

What is the Floridian Government thinking???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

In the long run this could hurt their tourist industry!

I doubt that Florida's tourist industry will be damaged. Many of the folks who complain about this requirement are essentially the same folks who complain about the toll on the Sanibel Causeway. Florida has too much good weather to be adversely effected by such minor items.

What are they thinking!?! This extra hassle is going to seriously hit their economy, I think - not just vacationers but also snowbirds. Especially since it's the only state that requires it.......why drive to vacation in Florida if I need paperwork that I don't need for nearby states?

I hear they're trying to rework the rule so English-language licenses from any country are acceptable, but for now it stands.

I doubt that Florida's tourist industry will be damaged. Many of the folks who complain about this requirement are essentially the same folks who complain about the toll on the Sanibel Causeway. Florida has too much good weather to be adversely effected by such minor items.

Canadians spend close to $4 billion in Florida every year and own about $50 billion in Florida real estate. Why would someone look to stay in Florida when they can stay (and spend) in a nearby state with similar weather an no extra paperwork?

In reading a number of press reports on this topic Florida admits that they goofed. Evidently they had fully intended to exempt Canadians from the legislation and it will be so amended at the next sitting. In the meantime it is reported that it is highly unlikely that law enforcement agencies will enforce the law as it relates to Canadians.

we have two rental cars booked for next week that we can no longer drive! we don't live near a CAA office so we cannot get one before we leave.

now we have to spend money on taxis and shuttles for pre and post cruise.

i guess next time we will book a cruise out of a different state :o

The Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles have made a posting on their website at www.fldhsmv.gov stating that they will not be enforcing this new law until the issue has been reviewed as it may violate the Geneva convention on Road Traffic(1949) Looks like it was just an error that slipped through the cracks. Law Enforcement officers are reasonable people and I doubt anyone will have a problem.

The Florida Department of Highway Safety & Motor Vehicles have made a posting on their website at www.fldhsmv.gov stating that they will not be enforcing this new law until the issue has been reviewed as it may violate the Geneva convention on Road Traffic(1949) Looks like it was just an error that slipped through the cracks. Law Enforcement officers are reasonable people and I doubt anyone will have a problem.

Unfortunately, the rental companies we just called said that they cannot and will not honor Canadian licenses as it may void their insurance as it is in non compliance with the law, even if the law is ignored by others and/or will be amended. :confused:

Unfortunately, the rental companies we just called said that they cannot and will not honor Canadian licenses as it may void their insurance as it is in non compliance with the law, even if the law is ignored by others and/or will be amended. :confused:

maybe you can find another rental car company that will allow your DL without the IDP

maybe you can send the current car rental the link

http://www.flhsmv.gov/IDP.htm

What I keep coming up against is: why?

What is the reason for enacting such a law? I mean, laws aren't just passed on a whim; there's study, prep work. There's a whole process to go thru.

All it seems to have done is created an atmosphere of uncertainty and confusion, without any real or perceived possible benefit.

I wonder if anyone has tracked down the dork responsible for this mess?

Canadians spend close to $4 billion in Florida every year and own about $50 billion in Florida real estate. Why would someone look to stay in Florida when they can stay (and spend) in a nearby state with similar weather an no extra paperwork?

Which other states do you believe have similar weather in the U.S.A.

Which rental car companies are they?

We have a car booked and paid for March 14-16 through Avis at FLL..

When we went to Britian and rented a car, we didn't need a International Licence from Canada.

By the way folks, the population of Florida is about 65% of the total population of the entire country of Canada. We have many Canadian friends in our community; and, it appears that their main concerns are the fact that Canadian law does not allow them to spend more time here.

By the way folks, the population of Florida is about 65% of the total population of the entire country of Canada. We have many Canadian friends in our community; and, it appears that their main concerns are the fact that Canadian law does not allow them to spend more time here.

It is the US law that prevents them from spending more time in the USA

You can spend up to 6 months before having to register as an "Alien"

For people to continue to receive our medical care the rules are I believe 180 days out of Ontario ....other Provinces may vary

Texas, not texas, is a great state, but the warmth of its beaches does not reasonably compare to south Florida beaches. As a matter of fact, S. Ft. Myers was the warmest spot in the country a couple of days ago; and, that is the norm.

BTW we spent the winter in Ft Myers one year it was so cold we had to wear our winter coats that we brought from Canada for most of the 3 mths we were there

WE had a couple of days above 70F most were in the 60's

So not always the norm:rolleyes:

We have spent the same time in Houston & was able to wear just a light weight jacket

Not always good weather no matter where you go

BTW we spent the winter in Ft Myers one year it was so cold we had to wear our winter coats that we brought from Canada for most of the 3 mths we were there

WE had a couple of days above 70F most were in the 60's

So not always the norm:rolleyes:

We have spent the same time in Houston & was able to wear just a light weight jacket

Not always good weather no matter where you go

We owned a beachfront condo on Estero Island for ten years from 1988 until 1998. It was mostly a vacation spot for us then. In 1998, we became permanent Floridians; and, with the exception of the month of January, about two years ago, we have never experienced what you describe. I spend practically every day in the pool pursuing my daily three hour exercise regimen; and, I would estimate that I have probaly only missed about 10-20 days per year beause of weather. By the way, were you in S Ft. Myers or Estero or Sanibel Island? As you may be aware, the barrier islands are usually a few degrees warmer in the cooler months.

Archived