Voyager misses Fiji due to electrical issue

I would be interested to know what would be a satisfactory solution/compensation - for those who are not happy with the 40% off next cruise package.

We have been on 13 cruises - and have only ever missed one port due to weather, one port in Egypt after the ship unfortunately picked up a huge cable lying on the bottom of the harbour with it's anchor (in Sharm-el-sheikh) and another port where all tours were cancelled due to our late arrival due to weather also. Never ever had any technical difficulties ( oh - except once when we were delayed in leaving Hobart for 10 hours , but we were only going to Burnie anyway!! :D0 - never had any problem with Norovirus.

So -- we have been lucky!! BUT -- we are now experienced enough to know that s*** does happen. We had to cancel a trip to the UK on the afternoon before we were to fly out because of that damn volcano!! :mad:

It is very much the luck of the draw -- just be grateful you weren't on Costa Concordia - then you would have something to be cranky about!! :D

Barry

We were on that cruise' date=' 40% off is ok, but RCCL is not losing that much because the slow ride home and not going to Fiji saved them a fortune on fuel. It doesn't help first timers like us who had excursions booked in Fiji. As we were informed very late on thursday that we were staying in Noumea, there were limited excursions available the next day and nothing suited us. We booked the cruise to snorkle on one of the Fijian Islands and it was dissapointing for the kids to miss it, as it was there first overseas trip. It was also my 40th birthday the day we were suppose to be in Fiji, and that was why we specifically booked that cruise, otherwise we would have gone in school holidays. After one day in Noumea our kids couldn't wait to get back to the ship as they were afraid of the locals and the rude and arrogant shop keepers. They didn't want to leave the ship the next day anyway. As it was our kids first experience of another country it's left them with a bad impression because Noumea isn't one of the nicest cities in the world. So when you take that into account 40% off isn't that great for us.[/quote']

I can understand you and your family's disappointment at missing your planned birthday celebrations in Fiji.

40% off a future cruise equals nothing, if you don't choose to cruise with RCCL again. If you do, the goodwill is good publicity for the cruise line.

I was on this cruise and heard some very angry people.One man was trying to talk people into forming some sort of class action against the cruise line.

I enjoyed the cruise and I think this was in part due to the cruise director Graham Seymour and also we had good weather.

Regarding children,there were some very badly behaved children onboard and the parents knew they were behaving this way and did nothing about it.

Regards Elaine.

I was on this cruise and heard some very angry people.One man was trying to talk people into forming some sort of class action against the cruise line.

I enjoyed the cruise and I think this was in part due to the cruise director Graham Seymour and also we had good weather.

Regarding children,there were some very badly behaved children onboard and the parents knew they were behaving this way and did nothing about it.

Regards Elaine.

Yes the cruise director Graham was fantastic. I agree with your comments about the children. My three were not roaming wildly. I think those parents were out to have a good time themselves and left there kids to their own devices.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on this cruise and we were looking forward to our first visit to Fiji. As Fiji was the main stop for most on-board (many had been to Noumea before) I consider the compensation was fair. Others here do not seem to understand that RCI was obligated to give fair compensation as Fiji was missed because of a fault with the ship and not an act of God such as weather, earthquakes or tsunami. Even outbreaks of norovirus may not be the fault of the company as the virus exists in all communities and its spreads relates to poor personal hygiene of the passengers.

While disappointing to miss a port I still believe the compensation to be more than generous. Unless the issue was caused by actual negligence by the ship crew then breakdowns just happen through no ones fault.

They are certainly not obligated to make any compensation payments in the contract for missed ports but they can choose to do so to keep customers happy.

I would be interested to know what would be a satisfactory solution/compensation - for those who are not happy with the 40% off next cruise package.

We have been on 13 cruises - and have only ever missed one port due to weather, one port in Egypt after the ship unfortunately picked up a huge cable lying on the bottom of the harbour with it's anchor (in Sharm-el-sheikh) and another port where all tours were cancelled due to our late arrival due to weather also. Never ever had any technical difficulties ( oh - except once when we were delayed in leaving Hobart for 10 hours , but we were only going to Burnie anyway!! :D0 - never had any problem with Norovirus.

So -- we have been lucky!! BUT -- we are now experienced enough to know that s*** does happen. We had to cancel a trip to the UK on the afternoon before we were to fly out because of that damn volcano!! :mad:

It is very much the luck of the draw -- just be grateful you weren't on Costa Concordia - then you would have something to be cranky about!! :D

Barry

Well said! disappointing yes, but when you compare to other things that have happened, luckily everyone was safe. Faults and acts of nature are sometimes unavoidable. It's called life!

Archived