Not that Royal Caribbean is perfect, but...

Carnival should be brought up on charges for this - do you know why they brought the ship to Mobile??? THAT IS WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO FIX IT!!!!

It all comes down to money. They didn't want to tow the ship back from Galveston to Mobile. :eek:

Not sure what your point is here. You sound like this is some big scandal or something.

The ship needs repairs. Mobile has shipyards that can do the repairs. They brought the ship to Mobile. Why is this surprising? And what do you mean "Carnival should be brought up on charges for this"? Charges for what? Repairing their ship?

I stayed up late last night watching all of the news coverage of the Triumph. And yes, some people told reporters "It wasn't that bad" while others were almost teary about describing the conditions on board. Frankly, I think the photos people have posted tell the story best.

What nearly everyone of them did say was how afraid they were the night of the fire. I mean seriouly, what is the one thing they all tell us during muster drill: Fire is the most serious thing that can happen on a cruise ship. If someone came running down the hallway telling me to "get out of here, there's a fire!" I too would be very afraid for my life. For the poster who thought some of the comments by passengers were overly dramatic, I must disagree. If those people thought they were in danger, then they probably were.

What I did appreciate the most was how every, single passenger interviewed praised the Triumph crew for going above and beyond. I think that deserves mention, and I hope Carnival takes note of that as well.

I'm pretty sure I will never cruise on Carnival. But then again, I would have told you the same thing, well before this incident with Triumph.

Ann

I agree about things not being bad as some of the media reports say.

I am sure it is a very unpleasant situation, but when I see reports of how people are saying that they thought they were dying, I just have to roll my eyes.

Sure, I would not want to be on that ship at this point, and if I were, I would probably be very unhappy.

I do think it says something that this has happened twice to Carnival in two years, and they had the Concordia wreck with their Costa Line. I would not want to be a Carnival Corporate employee right now. There is probably a lot of unhappy people working there right now.

THREE times. The same engine fire incident happened just a couple years ago on Spendor.

You hit the nail on the head. To a non-cruiser, or an "on the fence" cruiser, all the cruise lines are the same. But at the same time it may mean cheaper rates because those people won't be booking up the rooms I want! :D

The BIG SURPRISE gift I'm giving my boyfriend for his birthday in 8 weeks is a Caribbean cruise in Jewel of the Seas. In the three years we've been together, he's been made (he might say "painfully") aware of my cruise obsession. Bad economic times have kept me off the seas since 2011, and the 2011 cruise was with my son - a graduation gift.

So...boyfriend and I are talking on the phone last night and the Triumph disaster is an obvious topic of discussion. I suspect he never paid much attention to cruise news until he met me....but since then Carnival has experienced THREE horrific (Costa obviously by far the MOST horrific) disasters. And he makes that dreaded statement...

You'll never get me on a cruise!

I became a little defensive about my favorite form of travel and he later made light of the comment as more-or-less a joke. But it's put a bit of a damper on my recent favorite daydream...imagining his awe and excitement over such an incredibly fabulous (not to mention generous;)) gift. Now I'm left questioning if the gift is MORE for me or for him?

STUPID CARNIVAL!!!:mad:

My next cruise begins tomorrow aboard the Enchantment; in December I will be aboard Celebrity Silhouette.

I have also sailed with Carnival five times.

I might sail on Carnival again. The percentage of the people with problematic cruises is very, very small.

I think it is a stretch to say that what happened here is part of a larger problem.

JMHO.

Ok, I have got to address this post.

First, for goodness sake, who is "taking joy" over what happened to those poor people on that ship? It has got to take a good degree of insecurity to think other people are laughing at this. That is just ridiculous.

Second, fact is fact. No amount of cruise line cheerleading (or hating) can cover the fact that Carnival has had 2 catastrophic ship failures due to fire in the past few years, leaving passengers stranded at sea for several days. Couple those major incidents with the rash of collisions Carnival has had over the past few years, I am confident top brass needs to conduct a safety stand down and take a close look at the way they do business. You can Google search other cruise lines all you want, but none have had the track record Carnival has had over the past few years wrt marine incidents.....and no, the number of ships they own does not hold water.

Who is taking joy? Read the posts. RCI fans are using this to validate their choice and piling on with heresay, grossly exagerated CNN reports from a few hysterical passengers, and their own blinders.

Just look at the original post. I added some comments in parenthesis)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will NEVER go on Carnival after researching more into this whole situation. Reviews -- ones on this site specifically mention the problems of this ship (even other ships too) before this happened. (reviews mentions problems on all ships. Many reviews mention "sewage smells" on RCI ships and other problems)

I have a friend who got off the Triumph in December. Said that the crew told him there were issues and that no one seemed to care. Quick fixes in ports when they can. Service, food, overall quality lagging. (duh....Things are constantly being fixed on all ships. Do you stop sailing a ship at the first engine problem? No. They make repairs and go on. You do the same thing with your car. By the way, what do you know about the previous problem? And what does an engine problem have to do with a comment that says "service, food, and overall quality lacking.")

Sure, there are cuts across the board. But even Royal Caribbean, who made notable cuts in 2007, 2008 have stepped it up again with a new menu, constantly CLEAN ships and amenities.

It's ALWAYS about the bottom line, but in the end, this company put and continues to put people's safety at risk. It's funny- there are plenty of RCCL "cheerleaders" (some of you reading this ) but how can someone defend Carnival? I could see if this was isolated, but it's not. Their ships have problems, and they actively chose to ignore it or not take the proper steps to fix. (How can you, without the facts, say that ANYONE actively chose to ignore a problem and put customers at risk? CNN has not been an example of responsible journalism on this one)

BTW- i do feel for the passengers. CNN's live stream: http://www.cnn.com/video/?%2Fvideo%2...ive/cvpstream3

--------------------------------------

After the OP, others just starting piling on, like a sports fan who gloats when their rival loses a game. The difference is that the game doesn't affect anyone's well being. This did.)

Don't believe that RCI places your safety over their profit. Last fall, they sailed the Explorer out of NYC directly into Hurricane Sandy without offering passengers the opportunity to reschedule. Things got a bit rocky. Imagine the outcome if the engines have conked out on that trip? In this case, fortune went in their favor.

In contrast, Carnival canceled a cruise out of Baltimore the same day because of safety concerns and gave refunds and generous compensation to the passengers.

Who put safety over profits in this case?

Carnival and RCI are virtually identical. The are for profit corporations that offer the same product to the same market segment with different marketing spins. It's no different than Coke and Pepsi, Hertz and Avis, McDonalds and Burger King, or Ford and Chevy. It's fine to prefer one over the other, but some need to take the blinders off and realize that the competition is not evil.

Good post.

Yes.. the incident was horrible. NOT a tragedy, but a really, really horrible inconvenience. I would board a Carnival ship today, as well as RCI, and even though I prefer not too.. NCL as well! I love how people claim to know what happened, and how the ship is built like "one circuit breaker vs. Two" LMFAO!

This could happen to any line. I am just grateful that no lives were lost, and there were no serious injuries. What will also be good for the entire industry, is finding out what caused this, is it similar to the Splendor fire (in causation), and how can all ships avoid this in the future.

I DO NOT want prices bottoming out, that will result in cuts in the hotel department of all the lines, and I already disliked some of the cuts in the last couple years. I want Carnival and RCI to remain strong, as I like both for very different reasons, and will continue to sail on both...

Your right about a few things Mike but 'inconvenience'? Inconvenience is when they put sugar in my coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Being held captive for days on a ship without decent food, air conditioning, hot water, and TOILET facilities is not an inconvenience. Sorry but pooping in a bag and handing it over to a poor cabin attendant is not a mere inconvenience.

I'm the OP-- and I'm not laughing at this. The point was to say that it's horrible that they knew of the problems, yet let this ship sail. The proof in that? People both on here and who I personally talked to knew of the problems before this- while they were on the Triumph.

Actually there is no proof yet the the known problems caused the fire

Your right about a few things Mike but 'inconvenience'? Inconvenience is when they put sugar in my coffee at Dunkin Donuts. Being held captive for days on a ship without decent food, air conditioning, hot water, and TOILET facilities is not an inconvenience. Sorry but pooping in a bag and handing it over to a poor cabin attendant is not a mere inconvenience.

Hi Gregg,

While "Inconvenience" I agree is not the right word, neither is "tragedy," or even in your words "held captive." That would imply something that did not happen, which is forcing someone to board the ship in the first place. I mean even once they are at sea it is not like anyone can just walk off, and head down to the nearest hotel and check-in.

Bottom line, the whole thing was just bad, and I really hope those who have the ability to do so, correct this because it sucks to happen just once! However, even though I do like CCL, I am wondering how this can happen twice? Either a rare coincidence, or a commonality that has been overlooked. I am leaning towards the latter.. but that is really just a guess.

Hi Gregg,

While "Inconvenience" I agree is not the right word, neither is "tragedy," or even in your words "held captive." That would imply something that did not happen, which is forcing someone to board the ship in the first place. I mean even once they are at sea it is not like anyone can just walk off, and head down to the nearest hotel and check-in.

Bottom line, the whole thing was just bad, and I really hope those who have the ability to do so, correct this because it sucks to happen just once! However, even though I do like CCL, I am wondering how this can happen twice? Either a rare coincidence, or a commonality that has been overlooked. I am leaning towards the latter.. but that is really just a guess.

Agree on your bottom line.

Carnival should be brought up on charges for this - do you know why they brought the ship to Mobile??? THAT IS WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO FIX IT!!!!

It all comes down to money. They didn't want to tow the ship back from Galveston to Mobile. :eek:

My 6pm news said the ship is going to Nassau for repairs....the labor costs are cheaper then Mobile. :eek:

Don't know if the news got it right but that is what they said.....Don't know how the hell it's going to get there....

My 6pm news said the ship is going to Nassau for repairs....the labor costs are cheaper then Mobile. :eek:

Don't know if the news got it right but that is what they said.....Don't know how the hell it's going to get there....

Same way it got to Mobile. Tugs. If it's going to the Bahamas then it would be Freeport.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Carnival own Royal Carribean and Princess? On another note, if anything happened to me on my cruise like this, I don't think I would ever get on a ship again. Very scary situation to be in.

NO, they DO NOT own Royal Caribbean..

If hub likes cruising after Rhapsody to Alaska, I'm hoping to take our chances on the Carnival Miracle ( Miracle if we make it back on time? ) simply because RCI doesn't leave out of LA and NCL doesn't have a longer itinerary when I want to go. West coast cruises are limited and I'd rather deal with quick and relatively cheap Southwest flights. LOL from the greyhound of the skies to the Walmart of the seas, vacation Honey boo-boo style.

It's a good thing that RCI is either wiser or luckier than CCL - can you IMAGINE what it would take to tow Oasis or Allure?

If you want to sail out of CA, try Princess.

The repairs occurring in the Bahamas sounds more realistic. Carnival pulled out of Mobile abruptly. My memory is that the port authority learned about it from the media and not from Carnival. Some of what were supposed to be the final cruises out of Mobile went out of New Orleans instead. So Carnival has a history of treating Mobile poorly.

It could be that Carnival may be the safest ships to sail in the future. The ships will all be gone over with a fine toothed comb! Accidents can happen on any ship, it was unfortunate for sure and am glad they all made it back safe and sound.

I read the paper this morning. It says Carnival Triumph was "plagued" with issues and many crew members informed Carnival corp about them, but noone did anything.....

So, it was just a matter of time before something happened.

I PERSONALLY don't like Carnival and would never sail with them again. They pack 4500 people on ships with 2 small pools, lines everywhere... ***?

Had a perfectly fine cruise on the Carnival Breeze last fall. I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between RC, Carnival and Celebrity. It's all about who the hotel manager is and who's running the kitchen. Plus, it's hit or miss depending on the ship and the itinerary.

I like all the lines, including NCL, which I feel is slightly less than those I've mentioned, but still worth traveling on if the itinerary is right.

I will say that my last cruise - on the Oasis - seemed to be slightly better than average on these mainstream lines. Maybe it was because they had different entertainment than normal and cruising has been redefined with the Oasis class of ship.

However, I would sail on any of these lines tomorrow. I am not brand loyal, I have not crossed any lines off my list. If the itinerary and price is right, I'm there. However, I will avoid much older ships unless they have recently been refurbished.

I agree with those who've stated that this could happen to any ship - any time.

Haven't you owned brand new cars that broke down? Well, I have. Doesn't matter the make or model - sometimes you have grief.

Grief on a cruise ship is defined a whole lot differently. Stranded on the highway for a couple of hours is one thing, stranded takes on a whole new meaning when it's in the middle of the Ocean. :eek:

Had a perfectly fine cruise on the Carnival Breeze last fall. I don't think there is a whole lot of difference between RC, Carnival and Celebrity. It's all about who the hotel manager is and who's running the kitchen. Plus, it's hit or miss depending on the ship and the itinerary.

I like all the lines, including NCL, which I feel is slightly less than those I've mentioned, but still worth traveling on if the itinerary is right.

I will say that my last cruise - on the Oasis - seemed to be slightly better than average on these mainstream lines. Maybe it was because they had different entertainment than normal and cruising has been redefined with the Oasis class of ship.

However, I would sail on any of these lines tomorrow. I am not brand loyal, I have not crossed any lines off my list. If the itinerary and price is right, I'm there. However, I will avoid much older ships unless they have recently been refurbished.

I agree with those who've stated that this could happen to any ship - any time.

Haven't you owned brand new cars that broke down? Well, I have. Doesn't matter the make or model - sometimes you have grief.

Grief on a cruise ship is defined a whole lot differently. Stranded on the highway for a couple of hours is one thing, stranded takes on a whole new meaning when it's in the middle of the Ocean. :eek:

The only problem with 'it could happen on any ship or line' is you're guessing. You may be right but until we know why the ship was completely disabled, we don't know if it could happen on any other line or ship. As for a new car analogy, I have a Chevy Trailblazer with 85K and two tranny rebuilds. If I buy another and blow a tranny, shame on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You may be right but until we know why the ship was completely disabled, we don't know if it could happen on any other line or ship

I'm not saying the exact same thing could happen to another ship - I'm saying, something that disables a ship can happen at any time.

My car analogy holds true. Every car maker out there has had trouble at one time or another. I had a '69 Satellite that was perfect. So we bought a '72 Satellite. If you know your Chrysler history, you know where this story goes.

It may well be that we will find out Carnival does not take care of their ships, because they don't want to spend the money. Maybe the company is that poorly run (but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense because when a ship is out of commission, the cost of losing a week's or month's cruise revenue far outweighs the cost of maintenance.)

I guess we'll have to wait and see how this story ends.

Archived