Not that Royal Caribbean is perfect, but...

NO, Carnival does not own Royal Caribbean. Royal is their biggest competitor!

BILL

I got a kick out of the check-in staff at the JW Marriott in Miami who told me emphatically that Carnival owned Royal Caribbean. We happened to own stock in both at the time. [br /] [br /]We sailed on two ships that happened to be right before a refit. On the Enchantment, we saw maintenance men frequently during our 8-day cruise, but on Sapphire, the only maintenance men we happened to see was one we called.

Does anybody know if the two Carnival ships that caught fire are the same class? I tried to look them up at Carnival.com, but they listed them alphabetically, not by class.

Carnival is providing "a free flight home" (per CNN). I do agree, the $500 will only go so far if someone had to miss 4 days of work, or pay for 4 extra days of child care, and even some doggie day cares are very pricey. Now add that all together and the $500 isn't going to go far. Also it doesn't sound like travel insurance is going to be any help in getting that money back either.

You hit the nail on the head. To a non-cruiser, or an "on the fence" cruiser, all the cruise lines are the same. But at the same time it may mean cheaper rates because those people won't be booking up the rooms I want! :D

I would imagine the $500 is Carnival's way of trying to avert a class action lawsuit. I would almost bet that passengers must sign something to get the money and that most wont read it. Somewhere in there will be a waiver that if you accept the money, you give up the right to be involved in any lawsuit against the company.

I get a kick out of the posts Ive read where people (cheerleaders) write: "Its better than being at work"...My God, what kind of job do these folks have where a week on that "garbage scow" looks better by comparison?

This was one a few things I thought of., clearly not better than a "day at work";)

The other thought was; what a joy it must be to be on board with many people detoxing (literally; since they were cut off from booze for several days):eek:

I don't think anyone who likes any particular cruise line takes "joy" in others suffering, but generally some folks may feel vindicated in their choices not to sail Carnival.

Lastly, does anyone else think it's ironic that Carnivals current ad campaign is all about 2 people discussing what a nightmare last years vacation was:rolleyes: Seems to me in addition to the loss of revenue from these cruises and the repair needed to the ship, they have to scrap that campaign too, after it becomes the butt of an SNL sketch this weekend;) And did you hear about the guy who tweeted the bus on the way to NOLA broke down too!:eek:

Sorry for the folks whose vacation turned bad, and I'm glad to hear universal reports that the crew was so helpful under such tough conditions...that really is heartwarming!

Not sure if I dreamed this or actually read it somewhere, but thought that someone had mentioned their is a design flaw with some Carnival ships that creates a catastrophic power failure when a fire is in a certain location...no redundant backups to allow this not to occur....and that RCCL ships are being/have been created to have some ability to still have some power should a fire disable a part of the ship (engine/generator area)?

David:D

You are correct - the Carnival ships are made with what you can call one main "circuit breaker". All RCCL ships have two - in the event of an emergency they second can power the ships basic services, such as lights, pluming etc..

Carnival should be brought up on charges for this - do you know why they brought the ship to Mobile??? THAT IS WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO FIX IT!!!!

It all comes down to money. They didn't want to tow the ship back from Galveston to Mobile. :eek:

You are correct - the Carnival ships are made with what you can call one main "circuit breaker". All RCCL ships have two - in the event of an emergency they second can power the ships basic services, such as lights, pluming etc..

Carnival should be brought up on charges for this - do you know why they brought the ship to Mobile??? THAT IS WHERE THEY ARE GOING TO FIX IT!!!!

It all comes down to money. They didn't want to tow the ship back from Galveston to Mobile. :eek:

Glad I wasn't dreaming....:D

Go to the carnival boards. They claim it was not as bad as it seems and that it happens. It just seems like it happens to carnival a lot. I guess you get what you pay for when it comes to a carnival cruise. You would never find me one one ever again.

Another thing that is ridiculous is how carnival is reimbursing those cruisers ($500 + cruise fare returned---duh + discount on future cruise---as if any of those cruisers will ever sail with them again). What about their airfares, time off from work, etc..... I know it may sound greedy but those people deserve more than that after what they have been through.

Many of the passengers getting off said it wasn't as bad as the media and some posters assumed to be and there are passengers that got off and said yes they would cruise with Carnival again.

Does anybody know if the two Carnival ships that caught fire are the same class? I tried to look them up at Carnival.com, but they listed them alphabetically, not by class.

No, the Triumph and the Splendor are not in the same class of ships. Ironically, the Costa Concordia and the Splendor are sister ships but since the Concordia was clearly run aground by an incompetent Captain I guess you can't site design flaw!

I get a kick out of cheerleaders for one cruise line taking joy over an incident on another ship. Incidents happen on all cruise lines, including RCI. Carnival has more ships, hence more incidents. There was a fire that disabled an RCI owned ship last year. It's just that it happened in Asia, so CNN wasn't interested because of the geography and the lack of American drama queen passengers exagerating the serverity of the conditions to get their 15 minutes of fame on TV, or try influence the potential jury pool for their lawsuit.

It's folly to believe that any cruise ship has emergency systems designed to restore full power to a ship.

I'm sure that the RCI suits in Miami are not celebrating the Legend situation, like some here. They're just happy that it didn't happen to them.

I hate when people call others cheerleaders just because their point of view is different. That said, after perusing the Carnival boards, I was astonished at the number of comments suggesting that it wasn't so bad. Really? If that's the case, then maybe Carnival could easily make up the lost revenue by selling it as a cruise. Load it up again with these people who think it was 'better than being at work' or 'camping at sea' and push it back out into the gulf for a week. The only overhead will be the crew and tugboats. Think of the profit margin without food, liquor, and fuel.

No, the Triumph and the Splendor are not in the same class of ships. Ironically, the Costa Concordia and the Splendor are sister ships but since the Concordia was clearly run aground by an incompetent Captain I guess you can't site design flaw!

While they are not in the same class they are all from the same basic design of the Destiny class platform which makes them both very similar.

I hate when people call others cheerleaders just because their point of view is different. That said, after perusing the Carnival boards, I was astonished at the number of comments suggesting that it wasn't so bad. Really? If that's the case, then maybe Carnival could easily make up the lost revenue by selling it as a cruise. Load it up again with these people who think it was 'better than being at work' or 'camping at sea' and push it back out into the gulf for a week. The only overhead will be the crew and tugboats. Think of the profit margin without food, liquor, and fuel.

I agree. I could not believe the comments that some posted and they are still posting those same type comments today. No way would I have wanted to endure what those people went through.

I was astonished at the number of comments suggesting that it wasn't so bad.

But on the other hand, you have passengers debarking saying it really WASNT "so bad". It was absolutely disgusting watching the media try and dig and dig (especially CNN) from these people wanting the juicy details of the deplorable cruise from Hell.

I would NOT want to be on that cruise and Im just fine being right here in my office instead of on a ship dead at sea but I have no doubt I would have made the best of things.

Honestly, I find the people over there that make this out to be the worst thing ever as disgusting as the "cheerleaders" neither of which were on board and have no clue exactly how it was.

One thing good that comes out of this is at least it keeps a certain CC member with "duck" in her name contained over there instead of here bashing a cruise she took over 8 years ago and grinding an axe with Royal caribbean. She has almost 10% of the posts in that 5000 post thread :rolleyes: and over twice as many as the second highest poster of the thread.

Last night a CNN "reporter" stated that they owned :eek: RCCL and Norweigian and (I think) gave a 75% ownership of cruise lines...:rolleyes: I told my husband they should have hired CC members to cover the disembarkation! :p

Yes it happens and yes, it would stink (literally) but life has it's ups/downs. I am still chomping at the bit to get to my cruise in 50 days!!!!!!:D

That is where I heard it!!!

But on the other hand, you have passengers debarking saying it really WASNT "so bad". It was absolutely disgusting watching the media try and dig and dig (especially CNN) from these people wanting the juicy details of the deplorable cruise from Hell.

I would NOT want to be on that cruise and Im just fine being right here in my office instead of on a ship dead at sea but I have no doubt I would have made the best of things.

I agree Ryan. Just because one tries to make light of a bad situation and offer some levity, does not mean that they do not appreciate the horridness of the experience. But then, that's the nature of these Cruise CRITICAL boards.

One thing good that comes out of this is at least it keeps a certain CC member with "duck" in her name contained over there instead of here bashing a cruise she took over 8 years ago and grinding an axe with Royal caribbean. She has almost 10% of the posts in that 5000 post thread :rolleyes: and over twice as many as the second highest poster of the thread.

No wonder the CC servers have been slow. She must be on a rampage over there and stirring up a fire storm.

I won't cruise Carnival because 10 years ago, I didn't think it fit us, and I still think the same.

IMHO, Carnival dealt with this emergency pretty well considering the degree of problem. Could have it been avoided- that is a good argument to be made, and could also be part of the reason we don't "fit".

But all I have read from people who were on the ship was that the crew did an amaxing job trying to take care of them. Horrible situation to be in, but they tried to help the best that the situation let them.

The "problems"- feeces on the walls- first- I've yet to see a picture of that, but there was an interesting rumor that people saw cut bags outside of cabins. Who, exactly, would cut the bags?

Hoarding of food- again, who is doing that?

Seems as if the problems got amplified by a very small amount of passengers.

And I emphasize two things there- VERY SMALL, and passengers.

Even the passnegers who called into CNN mentioned how horrible the situation was, but they never really indicated that it was that bad everyhere- just in a few spots. And these are the folk that made the effort to call and complain. They were ok, and dealing with the situation as given to them. They were not the people making things worse at all. So I think the people making it worse were very, very few.

The news did a great job implying that there was urine all over the carpeting, feeces just coating the walls all over the place, close to gangs roving around hoarding the food, etc etc. And they came away not happy to NOT have a passenger tell them that.

Anyway, good job to the Triumph crew for holding it together. And letting people bend the "rules" so much to give them much more comfort. The tent decks were pretty interesting. Amazing job to the passengers to dealt with the situation. Just amazing. Good travels, good rest to you.

I'm wondering how the situation got so bad on the Triumph.

Would the pooper bags fit right in the toilets? If so, why not put the pooper bags in all toilets right after the fire, then change them out regularly at least in their staterooms? In public areas, why not have people stationed in the bathrooms (like they used to in Europe) to change out the bags when needed?

Do those toilets have stop valves?

People will keep flushing the toilets until they overflow.

I get a kick out of cheerleaders for one cruise line taking joy over an incident on another ship. Incidents happen on all cruise lines, including RCI. Carnival has more ships, hence more incidents. There was a fire that disabled an RCI owned ship last year. It's just that it happened in Asia, so CNN wasn't interested because of the geography and the lack of American drama queen passengers exagerating the serverity of the conditions to get their 15 minutes of fame on TV, or try influence the potential jury pool for their lawsuit.

It's folly to believe that any cruise ship has emergency systems designed to restore full power to a ship.

I'm sure that the RCI suits in Miami are not celebrating the Legend situation, like some here. They're just happy that it didn't happen to them.

Ok, I have got to address this post.

First, for goodness sake, who is "taking joy" over what happened to those poor people on that ship? It has got to take a good degree of insecurity to think other people are laughing at this. That is just ridiculous.

Second, fact is fact. No amount of cruise line cheerleading (or hating) can cover the fact that Carnival has had 2 catastrophic ship failures due to fire in the past few years, leaving passengers stranded at sea for several days. Couple those major incidents with the rash of collisions Carnival has had over the past few years, I am confident top brass needs to conduct a safety stand down and take a close look at the way they do business. You can Google search other cruise lines all you want, but none have had the track record Carnival has had over the past few years wrt marine incidents.....and no, the number of ships they own does not hold water.

Ok, I have got to address this post.

First, for goodness sake, who is "taking joy" over what happened to those poor people on that ship? It has got to take a good degree of insecurity to think other people are laughing at this. That is just ridiculous.

Second, fact is fact. No amount of cruise line cheerleading (or hating) can cover the fact that Carnival has had 2 catastrophic ship failures due to fire in the past few years, leaving passengers stranded at sea for several days. Couple those major incidents with the rash of collisions Carnival has had over the past few years, I am confident top brass needs to conduct a safety stand down and take a close look at the way they do business. You can Google search other cruise lines all you want, but none have had the track record Carnival has had over the past few years wrt marine incidents.....and no, the number of ships they own does not hold water.

Exactly. This could happen to any ship and Carnival does have a lot of them but it seems to happen to Carnival a lot. On top of the fires, lets not forget about Costa cruise running aground.

Heads are going to roll in Corporate due to these incidents and they are really going to have to do something about these faulty ships they run. Maybe install massive diesel generators (those that they use in Hospitals).

Heads are going to roll in Corporate due to these incidents and they are really going to have to do something about these faulty ships they run. Maybe install massive diesel generators (those that they use in Hospitals).

Triumph is a diesel/electric ship. The engines ARE massive diesel generators. Oh, and most of the generators they use in hospitals are much smaller than Triumphs engines and probably couldn't even keep up with hotel load much less contribute to propulsion.

I'm the OP-- and I'm not laughing at this. The point was to say that it's horrible that they knew of the problems, yet let this ship sail. The proof in that? People both on here and who I personally talked to knew of the problems before this- while they were on the Triumph.

It's no laughing matter. They just need to get their act together. Fast.

Good post.

Yes.. the incident was horrible. NOT a tragedy, but a really, really horrible inconvenience. I would board a Carnival ship today, as well as RCI, and even though I prefer not too.. NCL as well! I love how people claim to know what happened, and how the ship is built like "one circuit breaker vs. Two" LMFAO!

This could happen to any line. I am just grateful that no lives were lost, and there were no serious injuries. What will also be good for the entire industry, is finding out what caused this, is it similar to the Splendor fire (in causation), and how can all ships avoid this in the future.

I DO NOT want prices bottoming out, that will result in cuts in the hotel department of all the lines, and I already disliked some of the cuts in the last couple years. I want Carnival and RCI to remain strong, as I like both for very different reasons, and will continue to sail on both...

Archived