Additions to packing list after recent events?

As we all know there has been a drama with the Triumph this past week and it got me thinking and wondering if anyone else has added things to their spreadsheets/packing list because of it? Not just clothing but generally?

We have Military background so always take things "just incase" but reading and watching the news reports and seeing the photos got me adding a few more items to my spreadsheets.

As an example, I always take and bring back Scooby Snacks, and will keep doing it now. I added little face masks, no hardship I use them in some treatments at work so just slipped a couple in the cruise room. I used to carry a space blanket, took that out, might sneak it back in. It also doesn't bother me adding wee things weight wise as we are close to the port. Will probably pack in a warmer sweater too.

So is anyone else thinking about adding something just in case of a repeat of this week, however unlikely or am I the only scardey cat out there?:D:D:D

The only thing I'll probably add is a small headlamp style flashlight. We frequently sail in inside cabins, and wouldn't be able to see anything if the power went out. I always pack a refillable water bottle and use it frequently both on and off the ship, but may pay a little more attention to keeping it filled now.

I've been giving this some thought because we have a cruise booked for next month. (On Carnival coincidentally.)

We've had a flashlight on our list for a while now, and we needed it on the Volendam in 2008! We used to travel quite a bit for business, and we started carrying one for the hotels after we had to evacuate for a fire alarm at 3am one trip. Crazy!

We also always take our own games (Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, etc.). My DH packs those in his suitcases (we don't take the boxes, just the parts). We play a form of Canasta that requires multiple decks of cards, so we take our own. I'm sure we would have been grateful for those on the Triumph if we'd been aboard.

I also usually take a small supply of zip-top baggies. Maybe I'll take more! :eek:

But the one thing I will add for sure is a 'real' book. Maybe "Les Miserables" or "War and Peace". :D I'm dependent on my Nook now, but I would be really mad at myself if I couldn't read because my battery was dead!

Robin

I joked tonight to DH that we might want to pack some protein bars ... we're doing a TA so if the ship breaks down in the middle of the ocean we may wind up floating until 4th of July!

But seriously, I always take a couple of flashlights, mostly for maneuvering to the bathroom at night without turning on the light. I feel a bit more comfortable knowing we're in a balcony cabin, so if there wasn't power for a while we could at least crack the door. I usually bring enough meds, toiletries and underwear for a couple of extra days so that won't change. I do like the idea of the space blanket. We have one here so I will probably throw that in our bag. Maybe our own roll of zip lock bags?

But as to everything else, I guess I'll just bring my faith that all will go well and those in charge will always make the right decisions :)

• 3 weeks later...
I've been giving this some thought because we have a cruise booked for next month. (On Carnival coincidentally.)

We've had a flashlight on our list for a while now, and we needed it on the Volendam in 2008! We used to travel quite a bit for business, and we started carrying one for the hotels after we had to evacuate for a fire alarm at 3am one trip. Crazy!

We also always take our own games (Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, Puerto Rico, etc.). My DH packs those in his suitcases (we don't take the boxes, just the parts). We play a form of Canasta that requires multiple decks of cards, so we take our own. I'm sure we would have been grateful for those on the Triumph if we'd been aboard.

I also usually take a small supply of zip-top baggies. Maybe I'll take more! :eek:

But the one thing I will add for sure is a 'real' book. Maybe "Les Miserables" or "War and Peace". :D I'm dependent on my Nook now, but I would be really mad at myself if I couldn't read because my battery was dead!

Robin

I thought I was the only one who took a 'just in case my Kindle dies" book! This time it was 'Exodus', and no I didn't need it, but it soothes my mind to have it because I 'need' to have something to read! I usually bring something that is long and dense; on one 18 day trip it was 'Gone With the Wind' and ''David Copperfield'. (This was before e-books). I finished up GWTW just before we landed at the end of the trip, but had also read an extra book or two someone else had brought.

I usually take a couple of days of extra meds ( though I only have glaucoma drops and allergy meds), but now I think I will be sure I have enough for an extra week. Otherwise I won't take anything else extra. I already bring a flashlight (have never used it), water bottles and some first aid supplies as well as jacket, sweater and sneakers, some snacks and zip lock bags.

For any vacation I take, I always bring:

1. headlamp & extra battery - the headlamp takes up less space than a flashlight and makes it easy to read at night!

2. a extra week's worth of meds. After the volcano ash deal over Europe a few years ago, I learned that you never really know when you're going to get that flight home!

3. my charger pack. It's the size of an iPhone. It will give my iTouch or Kindle another full charge. Had that for Kenya, where power is iffy out in safari land.

4. a cheap cotton bandana. It has soooooo many uses!!! And, I won't feel bad about throwing it away at the end.

5. my water bottle. Which one varies... for space purposes, the Platypus works best - takes really no space when empty (it's flat).

6. my personal first-aid kit. I customize it to where I'm going - not too much if going First-World, a lot if I'm going Third-World or camping.

7. a few ProBars. My favorite of the "energy/protein" bars out there.

I wouldn't bring anything I don't already bring. I take a tiny flashlight, battery operated clock, a few Power Bars, a cell-phone recharger that runs on a battery. I'm not on any prescription meds.

For the posters who would bring books -- don't all ships have libraries? :confused: I have a Kindle (which usually lasts a week plus without charging) but have always been able to get books from the library to read as/when desired.

I wouldn't bring anything I don't already bring. I take a tiny flashlight, battery operated clock, a few Power Bars, a cell-phone recharger that runs on a battery. I'm not on any prescription meds.

For the posters who would bring books -- don't all ships have libraries? :confused: I have a Kindle (which usually lasts a week plus without charging) but have always been able to get books from the library to read as/when desired.

Yes, they do have libraries, but the variety and quality of books is often really poor. However, I bring my 'in case' book on the small chance that something happens to my Kindle on a long flight or long airport waits.

Archived