Staying on the ship during ports

SandraLee

What do people do if they choose not to head off the ships during ports?

Are there spa specials? Behind the scenes tours?

speaking of the spa specials, yes, though they will frequently deny it. They offer tours of the spa on embarkation day and press you to reserve, they deny the port days specials, but frequently they show up in the compass when its delivered the night before. If you can wait to book till the evening before, you can get deals.

We very rarely go into port for more than a few minutes to an hour or so most of the time. We just chill in a very quiet ship. Our last cruise we spent the day off the ship in Cozumel but otherwise we got off, walked around for a few minutes and the got back on.

It is the most perfect vacation day you can imagine. No rush to get up early & meet anyone's schedule, no lines, no crowds, plenty of space anywhere I want to go, my choice of deck chairs, peace & quiet, absolute relaxation in a stunningly beautiful ship. And yes, I do usually take advantage of a spa discount.

Now let's all go post enthusiastic comments about lots of excursions so more people will get off the ship and leave this treat for us smart ones.

Like :D

That's just wrong.

I say to each their own :)

For the people who choose to not get off......... I don't get it. Granted I have only been on one cruise but still. We went ashore in all three ports. 3 amazing experiences. 3 cruising days which were also amazing. I guess we could have stayed on the ship but then we would not have been able to go to stingray city, or the trips we took in the other cites. I just don't get what the appeal of the pool (which will be there the next day) is over the port (which I will not get to the next day). I can see maybe if you had been to that port before, but then why not book a different itinerary? Not saying it is bad or wrong just that I don't get it and would like more info if possible.

It is the most perfect vacation day you can imagine. No rush to get up early & meet anyone's schedule, no lines, no crowds, plenty of space anywhere I want to go, my choice of deck chairs, peace & quiet, absolute relaxation in a stunningly beautiful ship.

Exactly. If we're at a port we've been to before, DW and I usually grab our Kindles, swing by the Schooner Bar for a couple of foo-foo drinks, then head up to the Viking Crown and spend the day alternating between reading, watching the people hanging around the pool, or looking out at the scenery. At some ports we've gone hours having the lounge all to ourselves. Tranquility at its best.

When I book a cruise, I'm primarily booking because of the ship. I may leave the ship when it's in port for a few minutes, but I'm perfectly fine with staying onboard and relaxing on my balcony and ordering room service. I see the ship as the destination and not just a means of transportation.

<sigh> I am so ready. 47 days 9 hours, and it can't get here fast enough.

When I book a cruise, I'm primarily booking because of the ship. I may leave the ship when it's in port for a few minutes, but I'm perfectly fine with staying onboard and relaxing on my balcony and ordering room service. I see the ship as the destination and not just a means of transportation.

<sigh> I am so ready. 47 days 9 hours, and it can't get here fast enough.

I guess that makes sense. For me, having never been anywhere I don't think I could pass up the chance to say "why yes I have been to <insert name of foreign local here> and it was amazing". I don't think I would feel right about saying that unless I actually went.

For the people who choose to not get off......... I don't get it. Granted I have only been on one cruise but still. We went ashore in all three ports. 3 amazing experiences. 3 cruising days which were also amazing. I guess we could have stayed on the ship but then we would not have been able to go to stingray city, or the trips we took in the other cites. I just don't get what the appeal of the pool (which will be there the next day) is over the port (which I will not get to the next day). I can see maybe if you had been to that port before, but then why not book a different itinerary? Not saying it is bad or wrong just that I don't get it and would like more info if possible.

Cruise a few more times and you will find that there are ports that you'd just as soon not go ashore at anymore. We enjoy being onboard the ship too. There's only so many itineraries.:D

I guess that is one advantage to not being near a port. We have to fly no matter where we cruise out of so we may as well pick one with new ports :) I guess we could cruise out of LA. It's only 10-12 hours away..... so a hotel on the way plus one the night before and then the same on the way back. Yeah I think I will stick to flying :)

I guess that makes sense. For me, having never been anywhere I don't think I could pass up the chance to say "why yes I have been to <insert name of foreign local here> and it was amazing". I don't think I would feel right about saying that unless I actually went.

That's what makes cruising so great. People like you CAN go off the ship and do your exploring at the different ports. People like some of the other posters can stay on the ship and enjoy the pools and other areas in peace and quiet.

I'm not a pool person, so I don't spend any time at the pool onboard ship worrying about chairhogs or at the beach worrying about my stuff getting stolen. I get a big enough balcony to spend my time there and get off the ship to either shop (my roommate's preference) or explore the port on a shore excursion (my mother's preference).

Do whatever it is that you enjoy but after a few cruises you might just look forward to those quiet times onboard the ship when everyone else is gone. It's delightful.

Theresa

I've been to Key West and Nassau before and the ship holds more interest to me than those places. Cozumel I've been to a couple times, and if I were traveling alone on this next one, I'd probably stay on board, but my three companions are "cruise virgins" and so I'll go ashore with them. St. Thomas I've been to a few times, so it would depend if I had a newbie with me or not. St. Martin I've only been to once, and I wouldn't mind exploring more there. Grand Cayman I've been to a few times, but I love snorkeling there, so unless the tender line is absolutely unmanageable, I'll likely always go ashore there.

Most people get off the ship their first time in any given port, but there comes a time, after you've cruised a few times, where chilling by the pool (or wherever) without a crowd around is just as fun as participating in a tour for the umpteenth time or shopping in a crowded market filled with overpriced junk made in China.

We have been on a number of cruises and choose our cruise usually because of the ship. We have been to many of the same ports and you can do just so many excursions. We find that being on the ship is quiet and less crowded. DH likes to get off at each port but I prefer to stay on the ship, we usually do a little of both. Of course that is what makes cruising so much fun because you can do whatever you want. That is exactly why we like to cruise, I can lay by the pool and read a book and he can rock climb, swim, run on the track, play basketball etc.

Oh we have a terrible time - it's just awful. Everyone should get off the ship at every possible moment.

It's horrid. First we have to figure out whether to stay in bed a little longer or get up. And then we have to decide who will go open the curtains to see what the weather is like. And we drag ourselves to the pool deck and we have to actually CHOOSE our lounge chairs. And as if that's not bad enough, then we have to pick what to read on our kindles.

Oh and then it gets really terrible. Get into the pool first, and then the hot tub, or the hot tub first and cool off in the pool. Or just lie here and read another chapter. It's just terrible.

And so the day goes with all these terrible decisions. Not to mention the big "schedule a massage or not" because the spa isn't as crowded.

I think everyone should just forget about staying on board. You wont like it at all. ;)

LOVE this:D Thanks for the laugh and for conveying the dismal day at port on the ship;)

If you have't been to a certain island, I can see the reason you would want to get off and explore but if you have been there a few times, it is very relaxing staying on board. I see you are from Arizona where you get beautiful weather most of the year. We are from Canada and we go to the Caribbean just for the warm weather. The rest is just a bonus. If we are on an island that we can walk to a good beach that is what we do but if it is a long taxi ride, sometimes we just stay on board ship.

First of to each is own is right on, you are on vacation do what you want.

That being said, it is funny to me that crusing folks explore and say they have been to this place and that. IMO the stops are just tourist traps and most people "explore" the markets. Labadee is surrounded by a barbed wire fence! And yes it is neat to see the sting rays up close but they are conditioned to be fed by humans and have had the natural instincts eroded away.

So yes, I love the amazing stops and wonderful ports. It lets me enjoy the ship, that much more!

Oh we have a terrible time - it's just awful. Everyone should get off the ship at every possible moment.

It's horrid. First we have to figure out whether to stay in bed a little longer or get up. And then we have to decide who will go open the curtains to see what the weather is like. And we drag ourselves to the pool deck and we have to actually CHOOSE our lounge chairs. And as if that's not bad enough, then we have to pick what to read on our kindles.

Oh and then it gets really terrible. Get into the pool first, and then the hot tub, or the hot tub first and cool off in the pool. Or just lie here and read another chapter. It's just terrible.

And so the day goes with all these terrible decisions. Not to mention the big "schedule a massage or not" because the spa isn't as crowded.

I think everyone should just forget about staying on board. You wont like it at all. ;)

I SO feel your pain! and couldn't agree more! It's awful, just awful!

To anyone just consirdering staying on the ship... YOU WILL NOT LIKE IT! GO ASHORE! ENJOY THE PORTS!

and let me spend a day in piece and quiet having the ship to myself:D:D:D

Archived