Staying on the ship during ports

SandraLee

It is the most perfect vacation day you can imagine. No rush to get up early & meet anyone's schedule, no lines, no crowds, plenty of space anywhere I want to go, my choice of deck chairs, peace & quiet, absolute relaxation in a stunningly beautiful ship. And yes, I do usually take advantage of a spa discount.

Now let's all go post enthusiastic comments about lots of excursions so more people will get off the ship and leave this treat for us smart ones.

We're staying onboard in Samana next month as we did last time we were there. Nice and quiet, sit in the solarium, read, have a drink, grab lunch whenever we feel like it and bring it back to our chair. We can actually nap there without all the other people waking us. There will be others onboard in every port. There are people who never get off in any port.

If we have been to a port more than once we usually stay on board. It really is relaxing. The only thing I don't like is that the dinning room is not open. It is just the Windjammer and I really don't like that.

Maybe you could order room service for lunch. Does anyone know if they will deliver anywhere besides one's room, like the Solarium? I doubt it but I thought I'd ask.

What do people do if they choose not to head off the ships during ports?

Are there spa specials? Behind the scenes tours?

With a few exceptions, pretty much the same thing you do any day on board, just with a lot less people. Pretty much feels like you and a couple hundred of your friends are on your private 900 foot yacht.

It is the most perfect vacation day you can imagine. No rush to get up early & meet anyone's schedule, no lines, no crowds, plenty of space anywhere I want to go, my choice of deck chairs, peace & quiet, absolute relaxation in a stunningly beautiful ship. And yes, I do usually take advantage of a spa discount.

Now let's all go post enthusiastic comments about lots of excursions so more people will get off the ship and leave this treat for us smart ones.

Haha, love this! I feel the same!

In Key West, my friend and I got off the ship and did our own thing for an hour or two. We came back to the ship early to a mostly empty ship. We had fun drinking foo foo drinks on the deck above the pool, suntanning, reading, and were in a prime spot to people watch other cruisers reboarding during the afternoon. It was awesome!

My DH has stayed on the ship for all of our last five cruises. Sometimes we stay and enjoy the ship with him, sometimes we get off.

So you get off without your husband? I'm hoping my wife will be ok with me staying on board for a port or two.

Oh we have a terrible time - it's just awful. Everyone should get off the ship at every possible moment.

It's horrid. First we have to figure out whether to stay in bed a little longer or get up. And then we have to decide who will go open the curtains to see what the weather is like. And we drag ourselves to the pool deck and we have to actually CHOOSE our lounge chairs. And as if that's not bad enough, then we have to pick what to read on our kindles.

Oh and then it gets really terrible. Get into the pool first, and then the hot tub, or the hot tub first and cool off in the pool. Or just lie here and read another chapter. It's just terrible.

And so the day goes with all these terrible decisions. Not to mention the big "schedule a massage or not" because the spa isn't as crowded.

I think everyone should just forget about staying on board. You wont like it at all. ;)

We love staying on the ship and having the pools all to ourselves! Are the kids club open? This will be our first cruise with our kids so have never used the kids club before. I can't wait to spend some time on the ship!:)

Adventure Ocean was open on the ship during all port days on my cruise on Freedom in October except when we were in Coco Cay (where Adventure Ocean has an area on the island where you drop the kids off). There were only a couple of kids in there the one time my kids wanted to go while we were in port.

What do people do if they choose not to head off the ships during ports?

Are there spa specials? Behind the scenes tours?

On our last Allure cruise, my partner did not leave the ship in either Nassau or St Thomas. He simply stayed on board and read books on the balcony.

Archived