Unlimited Beverage Package

Jalex63

We last sailed in Jan. 2013 on Ryndam for 7 days so should have recent price data. I've gone through our statement and added up all our beverage purchases. We did bring 1 bottle of wine and our daughter gifted us with 1 bottle of Baileys for our cabin. We bought a bottle of Beam for the cabin as well. Also bought a 3 bottle wine package for dinners around the ship. DW doesn't drink the (free) regular coffee on board so there are daily charges for that. We also enjoy evening drinks at various venues around the ship, this time mostly in the Explorer's Lounge while enjoying Adagio. Totaling up the cost of all purchased beverages comes to just under $260 for the entire cruise for both of us, or roughly $37 a day (for both of us, not per person.) So, $40 per person per day is way out of line for us.

Yes, I expect these are well researched price points done by someone or perhaps they are just copying what appears to be the going rate in the industry. It would make sense that HAL and others would have access to beverage purchases for every cabin for every cruise for years and therefore could come up with a consensus price. Or, maybe they are just saying "What the heck, why not try it?" Either way, so long as HAL doesn't greatly increase per drink, bottle and package prices, it just doesn't make sense for us when we spend less than half that amount ourselves. But others may differ.

Edited by 0bnxshs

My son just returned from a Carnival cruise and gave me the daily sheets to send to a friend. They are $42.95 per person/per day, not including gratuity.

Having been reading the Carnival board a lot in the last week, several people on that board feel this is a deal. That's over $600 for 2 people for 7 days. Most likely, more than the cost of their cabin. Ouch!!

My son just returned from a Carnival cruise and gave me the daily sheets to send to a friend. They are $42.95 per person/per day, not including gratuity.

Having been reading the Carnival board a lot in the last week, several people on that board feel this is a deal. That's over $600 for 2 people for 7 days. Most likely, more than the cost of their cabin. Ouch!!

Wow! Is their gratuity 15% like HALs?

I did forget to include the cash tips we also gave to our very attentive wine steward and the bar tender in the Explorer Lounge, but that would raise our per day price from $37 to just under $40, or to $20 per person per day, including gratuities of 15% and cash tips.

Our weekly bills total a little over 500 dollars for everything. Drinking 40 dollars worth per day makes me ill just thinking about it.

I would hate to be a table mate with people trying to get their money's worth. :eek:

Some have wondered if the prices on drinks has been increased as a result of this new packagae program? As far as I can tell the drink prices have remained contstant over the last year or so and the only notable exception would be the change of Happy Hour from two for one to now $1.00 for the second drink.

Also noted on my cruise last week was that the Happy Hours were offered at different times in the Ocean and Eagles Nest bars. Still no Happy Hours at the pool bars, which is where I would like to see them.

So far, all you can drink (or 15 drinks a day, I guess -- which is way more than I can drink), is not available for purchase on the 2014 Grand World Voyage, but the $250 beverage card is available for $225. Guess that's a perk for the GWV. :)

I bought our Beverage cards a coupe of months -- no discounts on them

Very interesting.

No way could we even drink half of the 15 drinks per person a day.

I agree with sapper1: makes me ill just thinkg about drinking enough to make it worthwhile, cost-wise. Anyways, if I drank that much a day I would be asleep for most of the cruise.

Perhaps HAL is aiming this at the newer, younger crowd that appears to sail the Caribbean 7 day cruises. Suitable for the "party" cruiser that HAL is maybe trying to entice away from Carnival or NCL.

Our newpapers are absolutely full of advertising for Celebrity and the free beverage pasckage that is included with certain cruises if you book at least an outside. ALthough I can't see HAL ever offering such marketing, they are competing and quickly, too.

Perhaps HAL is aiming this at the newer, younger crowd that appears to sail the Caribbean 7 day cruises. Suitable for the "party" cruiser that HAL is maybe trying to entice away from Carnival or NCL.

I would also be willing to bet that HAL has researched this fairly thoroughly and has discovered that there are more folks out there drinking their $40 worth than we would all like to think. The younger demographic that they may be trying to lure away from Carnival or NCL may definitely (in some cases, not all) fit this description. They know not everyone will take it, but they want to make it available for those that find it attractive, and may find it a selling point.

I bought our Beverage cards a coupe of months -- no discounts on them, No way could we even drink half of the 15 drinks per person a day.

Hmmm. I just checked the World Cruise Packages and they are no longer listed. I double-checked my invoice from 5 January and I bought 3 $250 beverage cards for $675.00. But, the cards and a couple of other packages I bought in January are no longer listed... Glad I bought them when I did.

I agree with sapper1: makes me ill just thinkg about drinking enough to make it worthwhile, cost-wise. Anyways, if I drank that much a day I would be asleep for most of the cruise.

Our newpapers are absolutely full of advertising for Celebrity and the free beverage pasckage that is included with certain cruises if you book at least an outside. ALthough I can't see HAL ever offering such marketing, they are competing and quickly, too.

I have three offers from Celebrity - the beverage package and free gratuities if I book their European cruise and the third is a shore excursion if I recall correctly (it was the European cruise offer that caught my eye).

Makes you really wonder why anyone books so far in advance (including me)

I have three offers from Celebrity - the beverage package and free gratuities if I book their European cruise and the third is a shore excursion if I recall correctly (it was the European cruise offer that caught my eye).

Makes you really wonder why anyone books so far in advance (including me)

Right, 3 choices, worth quite a bit! Great marketing.

How do the prices compare with HAL?

I noticed the Alaska prices were considerably higher.

Right, 3 choices, worth quite a bit! Great marketing.

How do the prices compare with HAL?

I noticed the Alaska prices were considerably higher.

You pay one way or the other;) actually the Europe prices weren't bad but let's be honest - they are 2013 sailings - the ship is not full - so they have sales - as would HAL

But Celebrity is packing the other stuff in too. Makes you wonder about the quality or how they can afford to do it - oops thread drift - sorry:o

I am sailing on the Zuiderdam on March 8.. Panama Canal.. its my first HAL cruise, but I have sailed all the other lines many times. My husband and I are late 40's.. we worry that the age demographic on HAL might be older.. but we aren't crazy party people either.. That being said.. we purchased an unlimited beverage package on the Celebrity Summit a few years ago.. re positioning cruise from NY to Puerto Rico. We purchased the lower level package.. " classic".. I don't remember the actual cost, but I am thinking around $ 39 per day per person.. It included specialty coffees... bottled water, soda.. It ended up being really nice to not think about what we would get as a bill at the end... We enjoyed many cappuccinos in the afternoons, and our wine glass were kept full at dinner.... and the wine steward was quick to bring over other wines for us to try and enjoy with dinner. I LOVED it..but we did RCL Legend of the Seas in Japan last year, and the unlimited package was around $ 59 and didn't include water or coffees... that wasn't worth it.. I would love HAL to offer the package in the range of Celebrity.. but as of now.. I am stopping at Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale before I get on my cruise in March... and picking up my wine for the cruise!

We travel with our teens. Our first HAL cruise was shortly after a Princess cruise. On Princess we paid for a kids unlimited drink package (sold in a very pushy manner btw). Switching to HAL for the next cruise, I was slightly worried about what the final beverage bill would be if I left the kids to their own devices. We decided it was vacation and didn't impose any limits on beverages other than the same family rules we always use. We are happy to report that the final bill on HAL was SIGNIFICANTLY less than the package on Princess. Teen boys can consume large quantities of food and beverages, so if they can't get value out of a package deal, who can?

It's interesting that HAL has an everyone in the same cabin rule on the drinks package. While it may make sense with some couples/age groups, the kids on our Princess cruise who didn't have unlimited drinks quickly "made" a friend that did have a drinks package. While we were able to stop this for our family, I can foresee similar friend making and it won't be just with the teenagers.

I am sailing on the Zuiderdam on March 8.. Panama Canal.. its my first HAL cruise, but I have sailed all the other lines many times. My husband and I are late 40's.. we worry that the age demographic on HAL might be older.. but we aren't crazy party people either.. That being said.. we purchased an unlimited beverage package on the Celebrity Summit a few years ago.. re positioning cruise from NY to Puerto Rico. We purchased the lower level package.. " classic".. I don't remember the actual cost, but I am thinking around $ 39 per day per person.. It included specialty coffees... bottled water, soda.. It ended up being really nice to not think about what we would get as a bill at the end... We enjoyed many cappuccinos in the afternoons, and our wine glass were kept full at dinner.... and the wine steward was quick to bring over other wines for us to try and enjoy with dinner. I LOVED it..but we did RCL Legend of the Seas in Japan last year, and the unlimited package was around $ 59 and didn't include water or coffees... that wasn't worth it.. I would love HAL to offer the package in the range of Celebrity.. but as of now.. I am stopping at Total Wine in Ft Lauderdale before I get on my cruise in March... and picking up my wine for the cruise!

Hi Jled,

This will be our third Zuiderdam cruise to the Panama Canal, in 3 years, in a row! Don't ask! ;) yes, the demographic is ah...how do I put this...VERY mature.

I really enjoy this cruise, it's super mellow. Stay up past 10pm and the ship is yours my friend!:D I'm 49 and DW is err...more mature;) if your looking for thumping bass beats all night long, you'll be disappointed. But if you want a relaxing cruise with some quality port stops, this is it. Join our roll call and you can meet us at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet aboard the Zuiderdam. Positive frame of mind=good cruise! Sorry, I don't know anything about the libation packages. We don't drink the alcohol;)

HAL right now has started a "Drink" package on the Noordam. We all are still waiting for reports from other ships if it is being started on them.

It is $39.95 per person per day. You must sign up on day 1 or 2 of the cruise -- and it is for the entire cruise. Each person over 21 in the cabin must purchase the package. That price does not include the 15% service charge.

According to Retired Mustang you can not buy the special coffees and Teas in the Exploration Cafe, mini bar, in cabin dining and Half Moon Cay are also excluded. And it can not be used on drinks/wine costing more than $7.

Hmmm. I just checked the World Cruise Packages and they are no longer listed. I double-checked my invoice from 5 January and I bought 3 $250 beverage cards for $675.00. But, the cards and a couple of other packages I bought in January are no longer listed... Glad I bought them when I did.

I just checked the our upcoming cruise as well as a cruise we have booked for 2014 and the Beverage Cards are still available. Of course there is no discount.

Not a bad deal if you consume a great deal of alcohol.

A waste if you're using it for non alcoholic beverages.

I agree......that is how I interpret it also. If you are a purchaser of alcohol "by the drink" in the bars and lounges, it would pay off for some folks, depending on their alcohol consumption level.

I will be travelling with my 12 year old DD so I wonder how HAL would like it IF I was to sign up. It would only be 1 person in the cabin as the other person is under 21 yo. Even if I was to share with her I don't think we could drink that much as I "may" have 1 alcoholic drink a day...maybe...and the rest would be smoothies, hot chocolates and 1 or 2 soft drinks/day.

I liked the old drink cards much better.

I will be travelling with my 12 year old DD so I wonder how HAL would like it IF I was to sign up. It would only be 1 person in the cabin as the other person is under 21 yo. Even if I was to share with her I don't think we could drink that much as I "may" have 1 alcoholic drink a day...maybe...and the rest would be smoothies, hot chocolates and 1 or 2 soft drinks/day.

I liked the old drink cards much better.

The Drink card wouldn't be worth it for you. From what Retired Mustang said -- the card can not be shared -- not even with minors.

Maybe the soda beverage card would be worth it -- you $50 worth of soda for $25 -- but it is fountain soda -- about 6 ounces -- and that card can be shared by both of you.