Where to buy travel tickets at Kings Wharf

knot knormal

I'm a little confused. If you want the bus/ferry passes they are available at several locations on the pier or near the bus/ferry departure stop.

The OP is asking about where to purchase a booklet of tickets. There are 4 options for paying fares: cash (not on ferries), tokens, transportation pass, or ticket (sold only in a 15 ticket booklet).

The tickets have been only sold in Hamilton in the past.

SBtS

The OP is asking about where to purchase a booklet of tickets. There are 4 options for paying fares: cash (not on ferries), tokens, transportation pass, or ticket (sold only in a 15 ticket booklet).

The tickets have been only sold in Hamilton in the past.

SBtS

That was my question. I have read that they are for sale at Post Offices throughout the island. Is there one within walking distance of the docks?

Thanks SailBad

That was my question. I have read that they are for sale at Post Offices throughout the island. Is there one within walking distance of the docks?

Thanks SailBad

No...there is no post office there.

Here's what I wrote in the first reply to your question:

Last year, someone reported they were available for sale at the pier. They never had been in the past. It remains to be seen whether they will be available there this year. If not, the closest place to buy them would be in Hamilton.

I have always purchased the 2 day unlimited bus/ferry pass. Is there a savings or advantage buying the 15 ticket booklet.

A book of 15 adult tickets costs $30, and the tickets do not have an expiration date. If you have more than one person in your party, each of you must buy your own bus/ferry pass, while the tickets from a single book may be shared by as many people as you wish.

So, if you're a couple, two adult two day passes will cost a total of $40 (2 x $20), while a single ticket book that can be shared by both only costs $30. Of course you're limited to a total 15 uses of the bus/ferry system with the ticket book, but typically that's a sufficient number of trips for the average couple over the course of two days. Plus, if you have any left over tickets and are coming back to Bermuda, the remaining tickets can be used whenever you return as they don't expire.

Thanks for that information, so for two people to go to Hamilton to purchase tickets via bus would be 9.00 total. So its pretty much a bust ?

You can by two tokens at the pier at $4 each, so it would be $8, but essentially, yes with that additional cost it's for all intents and purposes a break even proposition. However, last year there was one report posted on Cruise Critic that said the ticket books were available at Dockyard...something I've never seen in all the years I've been going to Bermuda, but assuming it's true then you wouldn't have the additional expense of traveling to Hamilton to get the ticket book.

By the way, if you wanted to go to Hamilton,whether to buy a ticket book or for some other reason, the ferry is a lot faster than the bus

Just received (as of 2/20/2013) an email reply from info@dpt.bm (Department of Public Transportation) to my inquiries. From the email content, it said that:

1) The 15-booklet tickets are good for buses only,

2) a single-use 14-zone token that is good for both ferry and bus is $4.50

Just want to share the most up-to-date info.

Just received (as of 2/20/2013) an email reply from info@dpt.bm (Department of Public Transportation) to my inquiries. From the email content, it said that:

Say what :confused:? As a local resident, I have never heard of tickets not being accepted on the ferry. I've been using the tickets that come off the 15-ticket booklet on the ferry for as long as I can remember - even used them to ride the ferry the week before last and had no problems. You might want to email them back and clarify this with the DPT. Long as you are using the 14-zone tickets (the yellow kind), you should be fine.

Also, as an FYI, our annual budget was released today and the price of transportation passes is set to increase - but no specifics on how much they will go up by yet.

This must be a very recent change because I have a bus schedule with the fares listed and it says that the booklets of 15 ticketsd are honored on buses and ferries.

Hello All,

I received email clarification from the same gentleman at Bermuda's DPT to say that it was his mistake, and that the 14-zone tickets are honored on the buses AND ferries.

Therefore it appears the tickets are a great deal for a small group to split up. It is equivalent to $2 per ride. But from everywhere I read, it seems they do not sell tickets at the Dockyard.

Thanks.

Not only is the information you received on the ticket books wrong, as you now realize, the price you were quoted for the single use token is also wrong. The 15 zone token costs $4, not the $4.50 you were told. The cash fare is $4.50 (Coins only...no bills allowed . Cash is not accepted at all on the ferries.)

Also, one poster here reported that last year ticket books were now available at Dockyard (they definitely were not in the past. I can't personally vouch for that because I didn't go to Bermuda last year.

NJHorseman,

Understand what you are saying.

According to info on this page below (not a government official site though):

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000091.htm

A token for 14-zone bus is $4.0, but a token for ferry is $4.50. At a $0.50 price difference, I would think bus token and ferry token are not inter-changeable. At least I think they would not accept a bus token for a ferry ride. But then I also read online in several places which said a token can be used for both bus and ferry, so I was puzzled.

Therefore on 2/20 when this gentleman from DPT told me a single-ride token is $4.50 and is good for both bus and ferry, I thought perhaps Bermuda DPT had simplified things for tourists, and had raised the bus tokens to be the same price as ferry tokens.

So, the bottom line is, is 14-zone bus token still at $4.0? And if yes, can a bus token be accepted to ride a $4.50 ferry?

Thanks.

NJHorseman,

Understand what you are saying.

According to info on this page below (not a government official site though):

http://www.bermuda-attractions.com/bermuda_000091.htm

A token for 14-zone bus is $4.0, but a token for ferry is $4.50. At a $0.50 price difference, I would think bus token and ferry token are not inter-changeable. At least I think they would not accept a bus token for a ferry ride. But then I also read online in several places which said a token can be used for both bus and ferry, so I was puzzled.

Therefore on 2/20 when this gentleman from DPT told me a single-ride token is $4.50 and is good for both bus and ferry, I thought perhaps Bermuda DPT had simplified things for tourists, and had raised the bus tokens to be the same price as ferry tokens.

So, the bottom line is, is 14-zone bus token still at $4.0? And if yes, can a bus token be accepted to ride a $4.50 ferry?

Thanks.

There aren't two different 14 zone tokens...one for the bus and one for the ferry...it's a single token, and it costs $4.00. There is a three zone token good for three zone or shorter bus rides that costs $2.50 . The three zone cash fare is $3.00.

Here's a link to an official bus schedule (yes the schedules haven't changed since 2009, but are expected to shortly). At the end of the document is an explanation of the costs of the various transportation payment options...cash, token and ticket book:

http://www.gov.bm/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_18606_252_993_43/http%3B/ptpublisher.gov.bm%3B7087/publishedcontent/publish/ministry_of_tourism_and_transport/public_transportation_board/bus_schedules/bus_schedule11.pdf

Here's a link to the official Winter 2012-13 ferry schedule. You'll also find fare information there. You'll see the single ride ferry price (except for the Pink route, which is almost never used by tourists) is $4.00...which is the price of a 14 zone token. This can't be anything but the price of a token, because cash is not accepted on the ferry:

http://seaexpress.bm/Documents/Ferry/Winter%20Ferry%20Schedule%202012-2013.pdf

You have run into an unofficial web site that has misinformation, and a government employee who also provided misinformation (and who already acknowledged he was wrong about one bit of information he provided).

After reading the info on this thread, and believe me, I'm NOT knocking the helpful advice or info; I think my wife and I would be better served taking a cab to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard. If, of course they have cabs there.;) I've also read that there are(hopefully) express buses that go RT from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay beach. That might be a great option, if available. From another thread re: transportation at the Dockyard: 'Day three we went to Horseshoe Bay beach. They have special express buses that round trip between the pier and this beach. We took the local bus back and stopped at the Gibbs lighthouse. Not too far to walk from the stop and a beautiful view. [a few $$ admission]' http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1791056

after reading all the posts about saving $.50 I am more confused then ever. Am I the only one??

If you can't get the booklet at the dock and have to go to Hamilton --- and pay for the ferry --- where in th eheck is the savings. Can you or can't you get the booklet of tickets at the dock?

After reading the info on this thread, and believe me, I'm NOT knocking the helpful advice or info; I think my wife and I would be better served taking a cab to Horseshoe Bay from the Dockyard. If, of course they have cabs there.;)

after reading all the posts about saving $.50 I am more confused then ever. Am I the only one??

If you can't get the booklet at the dock and have to go to Hamilton --- and pay for the ferry --- where in th eheck is the savings. Can you or can't you get the booklet of tickets at the dock?

After trying to follow this thread, I see that there is confusion here. So here are the prices of fares, all zones: cash, tokens, transportation passes and tickets (from 2012), except for the pink route which most tourists won't be using:

BusFareNewV2.jpg

A big unanswered question is - are the ticket booklets available at the Dockyard? A member posted that he had purchased tickets at the Dockyard but there has been no second confirmation, yet.

I hope I have not made it worse, and when there is a cruise ship at the Dockyard, there will be taxis there also.

SBtS

Thank you SailBadtheSinner for posting that info. Hopefully somebody recently was at the Dockyard(maybe it's just too early) and can enlighten us as to whether they sell the tickets for the bus and ferry there. I'm now hopeful they have express buses from the Dockyard to Horseshoe Bay.

Archived