Early or Late Dinning?

Do you prefer the 1st or 2nd seating for traditional dinner?

We prefer 1st seating. It is about the time we eat at home and it seems for us that after dinner we can have most of the evening to do as we please. Of course it also means we can induldge in a "snack" later too.

This has probably been done in the past. But got thinking about this today and wondered.

Your Thoughts...

Happy Cruising

We like to have "before dinner" drinks...so we prefer late seating. We don't enjoy drinking AFTER we've eaten, so we get a buzz going before dinner, eat, and then, we're done!!!

There's no need to "rush" to get to either seating....if you choose late seating and want to see the show, you'll need to be ready at about the same time as the early seating folks, as the show is during the 1st dinner seating.

Late.

I like going to show first when I'm not stuffed (easier to stay awake.)

As for snacking, when I did early seating I had the opposite problem, that is I was too full from lunch and/or late afternoon snack to really enjoy dinner.

Now we do show, then dinner, then maybe a little music then usually to bed by 11.

Also we live in Mountain time so 8:30 is 6:30 for us. Another reason we have trouble getting hungry at 5:30 on the ship.

I have never undestood (except if you have children) why anyone would want to eat that early on the ship.

Actually we normally eat quite early at home, but we choose the late seating for one reason... sunlight!

If you have the late dining we are able to spend MUCH more time at the pool before dinner. While the crowd is headed to their cabin for a shower and to get ready for dinner we have the soloriam to ourselves. Then we take a dip in the hot tub. Grab a drink and relax for another hour as the sun is still out.

Then we make our way to our room. Get showered and changed. Then to the Crown and Anchor for a pre-dinner drink before walking to the MDR.

Maybe it's just us, but that's the way...uh-huh uh-huh we like it! :D

There are no wrong answers obviously. ;)

For us its late seating. We are not big foodies and not a slave to when we eat, but still enjoy a good meal. Late seating has less kids, our choice, and by saying that I'm trying to call off all of you reactionaries out there, who start typing "royal is a family cruise, if you don' like kids......" So old and useless. 95% of the time shows are convenient to both dinings, with the exception, of the Welcome onboard show. We have never tried MTD, and I am resisting that.

20 years ago I would say late...now I can't eat big late, so I liked the early sitting.

Had not thought about that since we enjoy early. I do notice at home I can't eat much later in the evening or I have a restless night... Something to remember.

Thanks for playing!

MTD now, but before it was introduced we always did late dining. Now that we're old farts, second seating is just too late.

We did Freestyle (MTD) on NCL but I really enjoy having a set time and table with traditional.

As someone already said you can't go wrong with any of these choices.

Thanks for playing.

Happy Cruising

I like early, but on one Voyager cruise, early seating was a 5:30, which seemed just a little too early. The 6:00 timing on upcoming cruise is better. Late seating is 8:30, which means finishing dinner around 10pm. Since we're not big night owls, that's a little too close to bed time to have a full tummy.

I have never undestood (except if you have children) why anyone would want to eat that early on the ship.

Actually we normally eat quite early at home, but we choose the late seating for one reason... sunlight!

If you have the late dining we are able to spend MUCH more time at the pool before dinner.

Just depends on what you like. I couldn't care less about hanging out at the pool, and I'd probably enjoy star-gazing on deck more than sunbathing. But, that's why a cruise ship works, because if everyone wanted to do the same things all the time, those parts of the ship would be too crowded. :cool:

Prefer late. The early just seems to rush me too much. I usually like to stay in port as long as possible or at the pool. However, we did late on the Adventure out of San Juan several years ago and if I am remembering right, dinner wasn't until 9--that was just too late.

So it somewhat depends on the cruise. Would definitely do late on an Alaskan cruise where it stays light out until 11pm!

Next cruise, I may try MTD. Seems to get favorable reviews on here.

We did Freestyle (MTD) on NCL but I really enjoy having a set time and table with traditional.

As someone already said you can't go wrong with any of these choices.

Thanks for playing.

Happy Cruising

With MTD on RCI it is still possible to have a set time and the same table (wait staff) if that is your choice, and it allows you to dine at a time other than the two traditional dining times if such a time better fits your schedule. You can also vary your dining times if the daily schedule makes that option more attractive. We were rabid traditional diners and were quite skeptical about MTD when it was first announced, basing our opinion on less than satisfactory experiences with Princess' Anytime Dining and NCL's Freestyle, but we have had nothing but great experiences with MTD and sign up for it on almost all our cruises.

Doing My Time Dining now - but always had chosen the late seating.

If dinner is at say 6:00, that means we have to rush back from port or cut our pool time, or bar time early so everyone can shower, change, and get ready. Also, we may snack after lunch, so we are never hungry that early.

Do you prefer the 1st or 2nd seating for traditional dinner?

We prefer 1st seating. It is about the time we eat at home and it seems for us that after dinner we can have most of the evening to do as we please. Of course it also means we can induldge in a "snack" later too.

This has probably been done in the past. But got thinking about this today and wondered.

Your Thoughts...

Happy Cruising

I used to go to the first seating. My travel agent liked late seating, so I gave it a try and I liked it better. So now I opt for late seating. It basically means I don't have to rush to dinner every night. And if I get the munchies in the afternoon, I don't have to worry about a snack ruining my dinner. Of course, if I'm cruising with children, then I opt for early seating.

Archived