Pat-Down at boarding?

nstar77

I have an implanted medication pump and set off alarms at airports and on cruise ships. Even though I tell them where the pump is and show my ID card I still get the wand and most of the time they are not satisfied so I then get pat downs.

My only wish is that the pat downs could be down by a couple of very handsome and muscular guys who take their jobs very seriously:D

Those letters and IDs are really not worth much - luckily. After all, how authentic are they? Anyone cold make up that stuff.

As to stuff in pockets - it is NOT like the airport. I have never taken off my belt getting on a ship. I have never emptied my pockets. Cell phone or camera will set it off though - most of the time.

And, those guys checking you on the ship are not TSA. They are ships crew. The ones on the pier are usually port authority or ship hired, not TSA. TSA is less involved as the risk of someone taking over a ship and using it as a flying weapon is rather low. Beside, the types of items that are not allowed on a plane are readily available onboard anyways.

When I had my Total ankle replacement, I asked the Doctor about getting a card to carry for traveling. He told me TSA doesn't accept the cards as proof anymore, they have to wand you/pat you down. On the ship, I just pull down my sock and show them the scar. But since Ankle replacements are pretty rare, I usually have to tell them all about it, etc.

All of you who've never seen a cruise passenger patted down haven't cruised with me and gotten back on the ship at the same time. LOL. I have a medical device that prevents me from going through the metal detector and I can't be wanded. I get a pat down every time. But, I get them at the airport, too, and Carnival Security's pat downs are no where near what an airport pat down is!

I really put absolutely no faith in the process. We were in St Maartin several years ago and the head of Security for the ship approached me. He said he noticed I had a few towels (4 to be exact) and asked if I would help him test his employees. I, of course, asked for ID. He gave me a knife with a blade about 8-10" long and asked me to wrap it up in my towels. I told him he had to stay within my line of sight at all times. Well, I was wanded as I got to the top of the ramp and they didn't find the knife. Then I put the wad of towels on the belt and it went through the xray machine and they didn't stop. So, I picked up the towels and handed the knife to the Security head. He was NOT happy. :eek: To say the least, the ship's security doesn't make me feel the least bit secure. :p

Do you carry an id card describing the prosthesis for the hip replacement to facilitate the wanding or pat downs at security checkpoints? All I can find is a card that sells for $19 by joint-id.com and would like to avoid this expense, if possible.

I have never seen anyone get patted down while boarding a ship; wanded, yes, often.

Cards and letters from the surgeon are useless at security. They can be falsified on anyone's computer. Imagine the outcry if someone with a bomb gets on board a plane or ship after showing security a phony letter without getting wanded or patted down?

We always get chosen to go through the big Xray scanners at the airport, and then I have had my bare legs patted down (I was in shorts), My hoodie examined and my hair patted down (I wear it straight). :confused:

For me I am kind of used to being patted for some reason, so a pat down to get on a cruise ship would not be a shocker for me. This will be my first cruise so I get to see if it is just an airport thing or do I just look like someone hiding something.

Cards and letters from the surgeon are useless at security. They can be falsified on anyone's computer. Imagine the outcry if someone with a bomb gets on board a plane or ship after showing security a phony letter without getting wanded or patted down?

While they won't get you out of a pat down, they aren't useless. I've been asked for my card a number of times. I still get patted down, but then they understand more about the situation.

My daughter has produced her letter each time there is a question. They do read it and then wand her. No one said the TSA is just going to wave you through. And it is much better than standing there and trying to verbally convince them.

I have been patted down on every cruise since I got my first artificial knee. When going through the airport type scanner, I set it off. I now have 2 artificial knees and it doesn't matter if we are boarding the ship in Pt Canaveral or boarding the ship in a port.

The scanners to get back on the ship after being in port are not quite as sensitive as those at the ports such as Pt Canaveral, Ft Lauderdale or Miami. I still have to be checked out, but DH who has one artificial knee doesn't get stopped when getting back on the ship in a port other than the homeport.

I also think that if one has metal things in a pocket, ie, a bottle of booze with a metal cap tucked into cargo shorts, it can set the scanner off. We haven't done that, but I have seen it in Ft Lauderdale. I don't know if that was the only thing the person had though as we continued on while he was stopped.

Those letters and IDs are really not worth much - luckily. After all, how authentic are they? Anyone cold make up that stuff.

Agree!

I was not trying to bypass security, just to add veracity to why I will beep when I go through security. I worked for an airport system for 20 years and went through security checkpoint often but never received any special treatment as an airport employee. I just saw this post about an Orthocard from the UK and it sparked my curiosity. :)

Thank you both for the response.

My daughter has produced her letter each time there is a question. They do read it and then wand her. No one said the TSA is just going to wave you through. And it is much better than standing there and trying to verbally convince them.

That was my point, exactly but I called my surgeon today and they no longer give those out since 9-11...since everyone has to go through security, the receptionist said...DUH!!! We knew that. I decided just to take a photocopy of my xray and orders in case I get some smart alek. Believe you me, I've seen a few before TSA days and since they took over although most of them are very polite.

That was my point, exactly but I called my surgeon today and they no longer give those out since 9-11...since everyone has to go through security, the receptionist said...DUH!!! We knew that. I decided just to take a photocopy of my xray and orders in case I get some smart alek. Believe you me, I've seen a few before TSA days and since they took over although most of them are very polite.

She broke her hip in 2008 and we still get the letter everytime we cruise.

sorry I missed this posting.

I still say the letter is worthless. After all, ANYBODY can type up a letter that looks official. I think just a statement would result in the same response form TSA.

If the letter was actually of value to TSA - we are in serious trouble. Think it through - right?

We're taking our first Caribbean cruise on Carnival shortly, and a friend swears that everyone gets patted down on Carnival cruises. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this? I've searched the forums but can't really find anyone talking about it. Thanks!!

We've been on 15 cruises, 3 of them on Carnival, and we have never been patted down.

If I ever get patted down that person better be a male, young and good-looking because no other stranger is going to lay a hand on this 63 year old body.

Last year we were on the Destiny. Since we booked less than 24 hours in advance all four of us had to go through a secondary screening. We went to a room and were all pat searched. They also brought a dog in to check our carry on bags. I work in aw enforcement so it was a little weird getting a pat down instead of giving one lol.

Archived