Pat-Down at boarding?

nstar77

I've never seen anyone patted down on any cruise for embarkment. Have never seen dogs or serious security guess most people smuggle booze instead of drugs :confused:

I have seen dogs sniffing luggage upon dis-embarkation in Miami. Twice. And once in Galveston.

We're taking our first Caribbean cruise on Carnival shortly, and a friend swears that everyone gets patted down on Carnival cruises. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this? I've searched the forums but can't really find anyone talking about it. Thanks!!

I've gotten wanded and patted down prior to boarding a cruise ship, but only because I can't get through a metal detector - my hip implant (cobalt and chromium) generally sets the machine off. The titanium in my spinal fusion does not.

They did a pat down on my Mother at Security in the cruise terminals on her last 3 cruises. She had an Implanted Cardio Pacemaker/ Defribrillator, 2 titanium hips, and was in a wheelchair.

People who have an ICD do not get "wanded" because it can change the setting on the pacemaker. The ladies in Tampa and Port Canaveral were always very courteous and apologetic as they patted her down. But, the pat down was better than having a problem because some idiot accidentally reset her pacemaker. .

A wand or metal detector will not change the settings on a PPM or ICD.

Just like someones nook will not interfere with the instruments on an airplane...

First off, people will say it is like the airport.

It is only REMOTELY like the airport.

You keep your shoes on. You usually keep you jacket on. You generally keep your belt on. You do not empty your pockets. You can have liquids.

If you have a phone or camera in your pocket, you will set off the alarm most of the time but not all. Even then, they might only wand you.

Has anyone been patted down. I guess, but never seen it. At the airport it is common.

we never got patted down on our recent cruise or with carnival. however at embarktion we did have to go through screening and x-ray machines and the rules are the same as security at the airport. nothing in your pockets etc.

My daughter always gets a letter from her doctor before any sort of public travel. It explains everything about all those pesky nuts and bolts in her hip when all those xray gizmos go nuts. She told me she sometimes secretly hopes for a pat down but alas...none so far.:p

I was patted down in Charleston. I set the metal detector off after removing everything from my pockets and removing my belt. Then they wanded me and it beeped. Turns out it was the rivets on my jeans but for safety reasons they had to pat me down just to make sure. I understood and they were very nice about it. I would rather them take the extra precautions.

I've gotten wanded and patted down prior to boarding a cruise ship, but only because I can't get through a metal detector - my hip implant (cobalt and chromium) generally sets the machine off. The titanium in my spinal fusion does not.

Do you carry an id card describing the prosthesis for the hip replacement to facilitate the wanding or pat downs at security checkpoints? All I can find is a card that sells for $19 by joint-id.com and would like to avoid this expense, if possible.

I have never seen anyone get patted down while boarding a ship; wanded, yes, often.

We're taking our first Caribbean cruise on Carnival shortly, and a friend swears that everyone gets patted down on Carnival cruises. Is this true? Has anyone experienced this? I've searched the forums but can't really find anyone talking about it. Thanks!!

I have never seen any guest patted down when boarding the ship however, going back on the ship from a port of call I have seen passengers patted down. If I were to make a guess the security personnal are not TSA so they do not have the authority to pat poeple down when going on the ship but going back on the ship from a port of call it is CCL's ship their rules. But I could be wrong about not being TSA.

Gary

I've read that during Spring Break time, some ports are more thorough. They might do more pat downs and have people remove things from pockets, etc.

Stories come up every year after Spring Break. I still remember the story about the 2 guys who had rum runners in their shorts and they started to slip... Hahaha funny story.

Maggie

They would "wand" you if you set the alarm off on the metal detector just like at the airport. Then if there was something suspiscous, they would possibly pat you down....I have never seen it happen though.

I've had my hips replaced as well as my shoulders replaced so I do set off the alarms. They use the wand on me.

Do you carry an id card describing the prosthesis for the hip replacement to facilitate the wanding or pat downs at security checkpoints? All I can find is a card that sells for $19 by joint-id.com and would like to avoid this expense, if possible.

I have never seen anyone get patted down while boarding a ship; wanded, yes, often.

I do have a card that was given to me by my surgeon. However, TSA doesn't even look at it so I don't bother to show it anymore.

Archived