Cadet Induction Cruise - for APH

spongerob

Andy,

You wrote in another thread that you will be on Golden Princess for an Induction Cruise. Is this just a single voyage for orientation followed by onshore training, or will you be part of the staff on board for several weeks?

Hi! I will be onboard the Golden Princess from July 17-21. Yes, it is only a short familiarisation/orientation trip just for us to get a chance to get some experience onboard.

After that, we will be at Warsash Maritime Centre(http://www.warsashcentre.co.uk/index.php) from early Septmember until mid-October. After this we will join a P&O Princess ship for a full contract.

Below I have posted the full training schedule, in case you're insterested:

Phase 1 - Initial College Period

This is a residential course at a nautical college and is designed to prepare the Cadet for his/her new environment at sea. The course includes shipboard familiarisation, safety and survival at sea and the structure of the shipping industry. It contains a fire fighting course and instruction towards the Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat (PSCRB examination).

Phase 2 - At Sea

A period at sea interspersed with periods of leave. The Cadet will be under the guidance of the Staff Captain of the ship and spend many hours working alongside the Deck crew gaining first-hand practical experience in seamanship. Cadets will also understudy the Officers on the Bridge and learn the practical and theoretical aspects of keeping a safe navigational watch.

For all Deck Cadets, an important part of this phase is to spend time with other Departments and gain a clear understanding of the overall operation of a cruise ship.

Phases 3 and 5 - At College

Further periods at College, studying Marine Operations, Marine Transportation, Navigation, Mathematics, General and Communication Studies, and Applied Sciences.

Phases 4 and 6 - At Sea

Further periods at sea interspersed with periods of leave. Practical training of a more involved nature takes place and it is expected that the Cadet will have attained the level of a competent Deck Officer at the completion of Phase 6.

Phase 7 - At College

A further course at College with studies to complete a Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science and an NVQ Level 3 in Marine Vessel Operations.

Candidates who obtain an HND, NVQ Level 3 and pass MCA orals and signals examinations will be awarded a officer in charge of navigational watch certificate of competency.

This years intake is very large: 25 Deck Cadets and 25 Engineering Cadets.

I will try to keep posting on this board when I get the chance and will hopefully get a website up and running to display some photos for everyone.

I look forward to sailing with you in the near future! :D

Hi! I will be onboard the Golden Princess from July 17-21. Yes, it is only a short familiarisation/orientation trip just for us to get a chance to get some experience onboard.

After that, we will be at Warsash Maritime Centre(http://www.warsashcentre.co.uk/index.php) from early Septmember until mid-October. After this we will join a P&O Princess ship for a full contract.

Below I have posted the full training schedule, in case you're insterested:

Phase 1 - Initial College Period

This is a residential course at a nautical college and is designed to prepare the Cadet for his/her new environment at sea. The course includes shipboard familiarisation, safety and survival at sea and the structure of the shipping industry. It contains a fire fighting course and instruction towards the Certificate of Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat (PSCRB examination).

Phase 2 - At Sea

A period at sea interspersed with periods of leave. The Cadet will be under the guidance of the Staff Captain of the ship and spend many hours working alongside the Deck crew gaining first-hand practical experience in seamanship. Cadets will also understudy the Officers on the Bridge and learn the practical and theoretical aspects of keeping a safe navigational watch.

For all Deck Cadets, an important part of this phase is to spend time with other Departments and gain a clear understanding of the overall operation of a cruise ship.

Phases 3 and 5 - At College

Further periods at College, studying Marine Operations, Marine Transportation, Navigation, Mathematics, General and Communication Studies, and Applied Sciences.

Phases 4 and 6 - At Sea

Further periods at sea interspersed with periods of leave. Practical training of a more involved nature takes place and it is expected that the Cadet will have attained the level of a competent Deck Officer at the completion of Phase 6.

Phase 7 - At College

A further course at College with studies to complete a Higher National Diploma in Nautical Science and an NVQ Level 3 in Marine Vessel Operations.

Candidates who obtain an HND, NVQ Level 3 and pass MCA orals and signals examinations will be awarded a officer in charge of navigational watch certificate of competency.

This years intake is very large: 25 Deck Cadets and 25 Engineering Cadets.

I will try to keep posting on this board when I get the chance and will hopefully get a website up and running to display some photos for everyone.

I look forward to sailing with you in the near future! :D

APH, we'll be onboard the Princess from the 11th through the 21st so I guess we'll see you on board. We have really great group going from this board, it should be a wonderful cruise.

Carolyn

Do you have a roll call going at all? It would be great to meet a few of you onboard! :D

Yes we do have an active roll call going. July 11, 2005 Golden Princess Western European Capitals is the title of it. Come on and join the roll call so we can all get to know you better. You'll have to meet us for a drink if that's allowed.

Carolyn

Once again, many thanks everyone! Its greatly appreciated! :D

Largin, yes, once I graduate I will be a Third Officer...then it follows the pattern below:

Junior Second Officer - Junior Officer of the Watch

Senior Second Officer - Senior Officer of the Watch, Assistant Navigator

First Officer - Senior Officer of the Watch, Ship's designated Navigator

Senior First Officer - Bridge Mananger, Ship's Safety Officer

Staff Captain - Second In Command, Head of Deck Department

Captain - Master

You never know, hopefully, fingers crossed, you may one day sail under command of Captain Andy!!! :p

You never know, hopefully, fingers crossed, you may one day sail under command of Captain Andy!!! :p

When that day comes - it will be an honor to be a passenger on your ship!

Please keep posting about what you are doing - we are all intrigued by the process and by your successes!

And when that day comes, will you give me a personal tour of your bridge? :)

Seriously, best of luck to you, Andy. You are in for a very exciting and rewarding life at sea. Ahhhhhh, as someone else here said, if only to be young again! :)

Blue skies and calm seas to you!

--rita

Keep up the good work Andy! Please keep us all posted on your progress and also let us know if you get a web site going. Hope to be sailing on one of your ships one day! Have sailed with Captain Andy----Proctor, a super friendly Captain.

Diane

legazlslave above mentions Capt. Andy Proctor.

We've had the pleasure of sailing with Captain Proctor at least twice, on Royal Princess' 8-98 trans-Atlantic, and Golden Princess' 8-02 trans-Atlantic.

Extremely personable type - who gives very humorous reports from the bridge, and keeps the passengers abreast of weather conditions, etc. Also saw him perform two weddings on Golden Princess - and he uses just the right amount of decorum for the occasion.

• 3 weeks later...

not long to go now Andy, where will you be joining? Do you know your itinerary yet? I am an ex - princess bar steward and can happily say they were the best 4 years of my life and have travelled round the world 4 times. I hope you have as much enjoyment in your job that i did.:)

• 2 weeks later...
not long to go now Andy, where will you be joining? Do you know your itinerary yet? I am an ex - princess bar steward and can happily say they were the best 4 years of my life and have travelled round the world 4 times. I hope you have as much enjoyment in your job that i did.:)

Wyatt - it would be great to hear about your experiences!

Hi APH,

My goal is actually to work onboard a Information Systems Officer once I get my Bachelor's or Master's in Computer Engineering - I don't think I'd stay at sea, but it'd be fun for a while. You or Wyatt ever encounter any of the computer folks on board?

Can't wait to hear all about it!

-Brian

Archived