What about NCL Sun?

Loucat

Thank you all for answering my questions about the MDR.

I have 11 months until my 10 day but this making me even more excited! I am so glad I chose this ship.

Can I ask what type of cabins people have been in? I am in an oceanview and was curious if there are any recommendations?

Mini suite on the Pool Deck as well as a sideways inside on the Viking Deck.

Can I ask what type of cabins people have been in? I am in an oceanview and was curious if there are any recommendations?

We just returned from an 11-day in January. We have nothing but good things to say about the Sun. A wonderful ship!

We did a cabin crawl and I would say that as best we could tell, overall, the cabins seem to be a bit larger than other ships we have been on. Smaller ship, but larger cabins... you can' beat that! We stayed in an inside this time and had more storage space than we knew what to do with. Very nice!

You will truly enjoy the Sun!

Hi,

We will be in 9002 next January. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did the cabin seem dated, small little TV, no Lavazza macine, etc? How big was the balcony and could you use it at night? Was the bathroom elegant like the Gem, for example? Could you use the balcony at night w/o turning off the cabin lights? Any pictures?

BTW, the Sun was our first NCL experience and we can't wait to be back.

Thank you,

Jay

I enjoyed the setup of our large porthole oceanview room with the seating area by the porthole. So often cabins are laid out with the bed positioned under the oceanview porthole/window.

We were also in a porthole but our bed was under the window. No problem for us since we don't spend much time in the cabin. We liked the ledge there to put the tv remote so either of us could reach it.

We loved the Sun. The layout is different from that of other ships but once you get used to it, all is good.

Besides loving The Great Outdoors section, I spent many quiet sea day hours in the Observation lounge high over the bow. The small area outside it was a great place to stand and take photos when coming into port.

Also, even though the Sports Bar doesn't serve food until evening, it is open all day and the view from the ceiling to floor windows is fantastic. I often took my breakfast or lunch from the buffet into the sports bar. There's also usually a bartender on duty. I know I had a cold beer with the lunch I brought from the buffet more than once.

We were on the Sun last April. Great ship and awesome crew. Not sure who the CD is now, but Jamie was fantastic. Loved all the restaurants and the Great Outdoors for breakfast is very cool. Tip: Don't stop at the first buffet stations, go all the way out the back door and under the stairs, there's another complete buffet that is hardly ever crowded. I would sail the Sun again in a skinny minute. We are on the Jewel this summer for Alaska, love doing it freestyle!

We are sitting at the airport on our way to MIami

We go the morning of but since my birthday is Tuesday, I wanted to be here for that.

and will be

On board the Sun on Wednesday. I love this ship for the crew,

Large rooms and great places to sit and relax!

I think our room is square so it should be fairly big. The porthole view will be nice enough for me/us. See you Wednesday or Thursday. :D

And I see it's only 26/79 with a humidex of 32/90 right now. :)

I looked at the Sun reviews, but do not see much on this board on that ship. We are thinking of booking for 2014, but would love to hear from anyone who has sailed on Sun recently. We have only sailed NCL twice, but like it!

Just got off the Sun.

NCL has set the bar very high for us, so I'd have been happy if they met my expectations on the Sun.

Instead they totally BLEW them out of the water!

The 11 day I just had on the Sun was by far, the best cruise I have ever had. If I get a chance to write a review I will (but I am expecting my first grandchild any day now so my life is a little insane)

We are planning on booking the Sun again for next year.

Just got off the Sun.

NCL has set the bar very high for us, so I'd have been happy if they met my expectations on the Sun.

Instead they totally BLEW them out of the water!

The 11 day I just had on the Sun was by far, the best cruise I have ever had. If I get a chance to write a review I will (but I am expecting my first grandchild any day now so my life is a little insane)

We are planning on booking the Sun again for next year.

See!!! We told you so! cheerleader2-smiley.gif?1292867568hi5-smiley.gif?1292867616

Hi,

We will be in 9002 next January. I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did the cabin seem dated, small little TV, no Lavazza macine, etc? How big was the balcony and could you use it at night? Was the bathroom elegant like the Gem, for example? Could you use the balcony at night w/o turning off the cabin lights? Any pictures?

BTW, the Sun was our first NCL experience and we can't wait to be back.

Thank you,

Jay

Cabin did not seem dated at all, tv was updated but coffee pot was not. If I had known it was a simple 4 cupper would have brought my own coffee and filters. The ones in the cabin were not very good, I like my coffee strong.

Balcony is very large 2 small tables, 2 chairs and 2 loungers. Using the balcony and night was hit or miss with the wind, sometimes it was good and sometimes bad. I'm a smoker, dont worry I didnt smoke in the cabin, so I would go out at night. Never turned on the light but I would leave the curtins open. Must not have been a problem with the bridge since they never called down. You shouldnt have any problem with the door lock I had them fix it:D. You are going to love Momma T as your butler she is so nice!

I havent been on the Gem but I liked the the bathroom, very large, well except for the shower. We just used the shower in the tub, it worked out fine and was much bigger. Oh yea if you have long hair the hairdryer is not going to work. Its a small travel size, I have short hair so no issues

I will see if I can figure out how to add pictures here, my husband did post them to cruisedeckplans . com

We just returned from an 11-day in January. We have nothing but good things to say about the Sun. A wonderful ship!

We did a cabin crawl and I would say that as best we could tell' date=' overall, the cabins seem to be a bit larger than other ships we have been on. Smaller ship, but larger cabins... you can' beat that! We stayed in an inside this time and had more storage space than we knew what to do with. Very nice!

You will truly enjoy the Sun![/quote']

That's great to hear. We have an inside for 27 nights next year.

Glad to hear all the great stuff about the Sun and resent trips. DH is thinking for doing a 10day or greater next Jan. More than likely it will be the Sun out of Miami.

For whatever reason, (maybe I'm just nuts), I'm a little apprehensive about such a long trip on a smaller older ship. The nutty thing is, I've been on the Sun, had no problems, great trip. I have also been on a 10 day cruise (Panama Canal) on a similar size and age ship (HAL Zuiderdam), and this was one of the BEST cruises I've been on.

Oh well, such is life, so of us are just apprehensive for no good reason:)

Glad to hear all the great stuff about the Sun and resent trips. DH is thinking for doing a 10day or greater next Jan. More than likely it will be the Sun out of Miami.

Come join us next year on the 10 day Feb 3rd 2014. Their are a bunch of us that sailed together on the 11 day planning on booking it. Some like myself already have:D

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking to book on the Sun in November to the Southern Carribean. I am looking at stateroom 107 on Norway deck - Has anyone stayed in this one? Just want to make sure that it does not have a pull down bed since it is just my husband and I and I cant really tell from the pictures. I think it is a little larger room as well - thank you for your advice!

Been on the SUN and SKY which used to be part of NCL America (Hawaii).

They are smaller, nicer, meet more people etc.

Been on the Star class, Jewel Class which are great ships but larger.

I like smaller ships, even been on the Magisty before NCL sold her.

Will be on the Sun in June but will also try the Epic and Breakway in the future. With only 2 cruises under your belt, try the Sun you'll like it.

Hello all- we are planning a family(4) trip on the NCL Sun. While quads are somewhat limited, can anyone recommend the ones to avoid? Thanks.

I would not usually recommend steerage, but I just got off the Sun this past Sunday. I was in an inside cabin 4313. It was the largest inside I've every been in on an NCL ship. Tons of storage, plenty of room for a family of 4 to move around, in my opinion. My cabin steward told me that the inside cabins in the aft area where I was were all the same size.

These cabins are actually larger than most other insides and larger than the OV and balcony's. I was amazed. Here are a couple pics. They don't really do the room much justice. I pushed the 2 lower beds all the way against the oppisite wall of the couch. This gave lots of room there and there is also a ton of room upon entering. Also when looking at the sofa. To the left is a large cabinet floor to ceiling that had like 8 shelves. Hope this helps

632_zpse151ac54.jpg

634_zps93767964.jpg

Photos really help, thanks, it looks roomy. Our concern was about noises, like elevators or crew work rooms, engine room, etc. Was 4313 over the engine room? We generally try to stay back from elevator lobbies. We were offered a few that backed up to the elevator atrium...any advice?

Photos really help, thanks, it looks roomy. Our concern was about noises, like elevators or crew work rooms, engine room, etc. Was 4313 over the engine room? We generally try to stay back from elevator lobbies. We were offered a few that backed up to the elevator atrium...any advice?

we had no noise issues at all. I think there may have been some galley area behind us. Our CC group was invited on a galley tour. We didn't go down to deck 4, but the chef said the desert galley was downstairs, but no problems with noise in our room.

The Sun is not a huge ship, so being Aft was not a problem. There was an elevator and stairs near us, but not so close to cause issues.

Last year I was travelling on own and booked last minute. I was in 9304 and it was a really big cabin. My mom, sister and niece had a balcony cabin on 10, and although I was inside, mine cabin was bigger than theirs. I think that 9304 can fit up to 5 people. It is up front, around the corner from the stairs and elevators. Really convenient location.

Archived