What about NCL Sun?

Loucat

I looked at the Sun reviews, but do not see much on this board on that ship. We are thinking of booking for 2014, but would love to hear from anyone who has sailed on Sun recently. We have only sailed NCL twice, but like it!

In all fairness, we have not sailed recently but will be on her in Dec. We have sailed the Sun twice and it is our favorite ship. Though she is a little older and doesn't have the glitz some ships have, the crew is unbeatable, the cabins are larger than almost any ship we have sailed, certainly larger than most NCL ships and she has a few features other ships do not, like Las Rambles for starters. There is one drawback, but it is livable: the buffet is small and not set up well, at all.

I'm sailing on the Sun in May.

I'm not used to all of the dining choices and know that some of the ships have changed recently.

Does the Sun still have:

Las Ramblas? haven't heard much about it

East Meets West?

If you don't go to the open MDR upon embarkation, is it the Great Outdoors or the Garden Cafe that serves lunch buffet that day?

Does the fitness center area have nice large showers that can be used by regular (like deck 4) cruisers at no charge?

Thanks!

If for no other reason, Las Rambles is a place you will want to visit. They have awesome tapas in the early evening. You can make your entire meal out of them or enjoy a few and then head for dinner much later. The Great Outdoors and the Garden cafe are just like most NCL ships. the Great outdoors is adjacent to the buffet. Both will probably be open on embarkation day or you can get lunch in the Garden cafe and sit outside.

Last year I was travelling on own and booked last minute. I was in 9304 and it was a really big cabin. My mom, sister and niece had a balcony cabin on 10, and although I was inside, mine cabin was bigger than theirs. I think that 9304 can fit up to 5 people. It is up front, around the corner from the stairs and elevators. Really convenient location.

BlueJai, I was curious if cabin 9304 was set up similiarly to the cabin I pictured. Basically was the couch area in the inset like the one on deck 4. I saw other cabins that didn't have that space. I know I will be back on the Sun again and am looking for the same set up I had, but possibly on a higher deck. Not for any other reason than to try a different cabin.

BlueJai, I was curious if cabin 9304 was set up similiarly to the cabin I pictured. Basically was the couch area in the inset like the one on deck 4. I saw other cabins that didn't have that space. I know I will be back on the Sun again and am looking for the same set up I had, but possibly on a higher deck. Not for any other reason than to try a different cabin.

Hey djmess, yes, it is the same set up. When you walk into the room, the sofa was on the right side with lots of space between that and the bed. And lots of storage and lots of room in front of the bed. I was so surprised at the size of the cabin, and since I was on my own, it seemed huge!

You're going back on the Sun, Yeah! We were looking at the itineraries last night - ahhh to dream!

In all fairness, we have not sailed recently but will be on her in Dec. We have sailed the Sun twice and it is our favorite ship. Though she is a little older and doesn't have the glitz some ships have, the crew is unbeatable, the cabins are larger than almost any ship we have sailed, certainly larger than most NCL ships and she has a few features other ships do not, like Las Rambles for starters. There is one drawback, but it is livable: the buffet is small and not set up well, at all.

Hey Nita, I am so glad you are getting back on the Sun December. That is wonderful.

One of the things I noticed on this past cruise was Moderno was also set up with an egg and omelette station in the morning, in addition to all the cold offerings. I don't know if I saw that last year, or maybe it was there and I never made it in there that early. In the 11 days, we went through the Garden Cafe once in the morning on our way to the Outdoor cafe. Inside was crazy, but outside buffet was never busy.

Bluejai

• 2 weeks later...
I booked for next January and just here to hear what others have to say. Can someone tell what the difference is between the 2 dining rooms? Are the menus different?

We were on the Sun in September, and enjoyed dining in both of the main dining rooms. The Seven Seas is smaller and a little more upscale. The Four Seasons is the larger MDR. Both menus had a very similar selection with the Seven Seas having a little bit fancier presentation and appetizer/dessert selections.

Hope this helps :)

If for no other reason, Las Rambles is a place you will want to visit. They have awesome tapas in the early evening. You can make your entire meal out of them or enjoy a few and then head for dinner much later. The Great Outdoors and the Garden cafe are just like most NCL ships. the Great outdoors is adjacent to the buffet. Both will probably be open on embarkation day or you can get lunch in the Garden cafe and sit outside.

Nita

I am afraid you may be disappointed with Las Ramblas when you return to Sun. Their tapas are no longer awesome:(. I used to love their marinated goat cheese and empanadas ....when we were last aboard on 2011, the only remaining dish of interest were marinated olives. It was sad compared to our original cruises. The sangria was still tasty though so we bought a pitcher and took it just outside to the upper level of the Great Outdoors and enjoyed some "tapas" from the Garden Cafe

We just got off the Sun.. she is a lovely ship and would do her again in a heart beat... the food was excellent (if you go to the pasta station tell them you don't want your pizza well done and they will do it the way you want it) the only problem we had is there is not enough public washrooms but being a older ship this is understandable.. We are looking at doing the Sun to Alaska next year..

• 1 month later...
Does the Sun have an enclosed lounge in the front of the ship? Also does anyone have any pics of an aft mini suite? Thanks!

Yes the observation lounge is on deck 12.

I spent spring break last year on the Sun and it was great! The ship's size was perfect for us. Even on spring break it didn't feel too crowded and you got to know the staff and passengers better. The back deck behind Great Outdoors is fabulous. We usually had no problems finding chairs out there, which was great since we didn't have balcony rooms.

Our only complaint was that we only spent 7 days on the ship. We are looking forward to spending 10 days on board the Sun in December.

Archived