First impression of Oceania Riviera

Caroldoll

Caroldoll,

Were you, on your cruise, due to go into Key West. I have read on another forum that the Outer Mole, where Riviera was due to dock, has been closed.

Thanks

On another thread Benita posted they docked intown

I am sorry. I meant you in my last post. I don't know why I put down Horndorner. Also gave your message to Pritam and he sends his regards.

For the people inquiring about Key West--they have created such a nice shopping area there with condos, I seriously doubt if it will close. A lot of money has been spent to encourage tourism. I agree with Benita. Don't worry.

We are on this cruise as well. Everything has been pretty much perfect. We just finished breakfast out on our deck while the ship was docking at Costa Maya. Love those baby lambchops! We did get some sad news yesterday. We were booked for La Reserve tonight for the Connoiseur menu. It was cancelled. Apparently we were the only ones that booked it. They've offered us another opportunity for the other 2 menus on 2/28 and 3/2 but they only have 2 and 1 couples respectively and they are expected to be cancelled as well. At least we got an extra reservation for Red Ginger tonight.

We were booked for La Reserve tonight for the Connoiseur menu. It was cancelled. Apparently we were the only ones that booked it. They've offered us another opportunity for the other 2 menus on 2/28 and 3/2 but they only have 2 and 1 couples respectively and they are expected to be cancelled as well.

There may be hope :)

On our Sept 2012 cruise, a group of 6 really wanted to eat a second time at La Reserve to try one of the other menus - they talked up their idea and got a few others to sign up, enough to meet the minimum (which sounds like it may vary, they talked to the La Reserve maitre d' before lobbying other passengers).

Babysteps,

You were correct. We got confirmation last night that LaReserve for tonight will be served. It's not the menu we wanted but we'll take it. This cruise and weather has been fantastic.

Paul

Yay! Let us all know what you think of LaReserve. Glad you are having a fantastic cruise :)

No glitches.

Dincus, sorry about your dinner plans, really. Hope you find something else you like.

Last night at Polo was super. Great food and good service.

More to come.

Thanks so much for your postings. Feeling much like you did re other cruise lines, Oceania was our last hope of a line to call "home". We actually had booked the cruise that you are presently on but, unfortunately,had to cancel. We will definitely be rebooking with Oceania. Again, thank you so much for taking the time to share your observations with us.

We have now cancelled all of our Crystal bookings and have five booked on the Riviera. Waiting impatiently for them to announce the Christmas cruise and will promptly book two more segments (that is Christmas 2014). A lot would have to go wrong before I made any change to another cruise line. It is my fervent prayer that Mr. FDR keeps at it about guest relations. This line is heaven.

I certainly will Caroldoll!

Sincerely appreciate your strong confidence in our brand- 5 more sailings WOW!

BTW- tell all your "former shipmates" to join you on the big switcheroo!

FDR

Well, FDR, we are sailing on our first Regent cruise this May but based on all the positive comments on the "sister" line, we just booked Barcelona to Istanbul for 2014 on Riveria. Of course the $$ ultimately ends up in the same pocket :). Now if you can somehow swing Santorini into that itinerary, I will become an ambassador.

Who is the Assistant Cruise Director on your cruise? I know that David Shermet is the CD, but was just wondering about his assistant. Time to start packing. I can only put it off for so long. Since we live in South Florida we have plenty of lightweight clothes. I'll probably try to pack them all. Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Joan

I would be hard pressed to find anything to be critical about. The crew keeps us informed..food is great..most of the personnel are engaging. Just amazed.

So glad you are enjoying yourself!

Are you planning a post cruise debrief posting?

Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts.

Not Caroldoll but we're on the same cruise. ACD is Roy Perez. We're out at sea now. 50 mph winds caused the closing of the port at Cozumel. The sun has come out now and I'm writing this from my deck chair poolside. Other than the weather the last couple of days it's been a great cruise.

Not Caroldoll but we're on the same cruise. ACD is Roy Perez. We're out at sea now. 50 mph winds caused the closing of the port at Cozumel. The sun has come out now and I'm writing this from my deck chair poolside. Other than the weather the last couple of days it's been a great cruise.

Thanks for the information. I hope you have calm seas and a wonderful time for the rest of your cruise.

Joan

We are chugging along at 12 knots and the wind is now up to something like 56 mph. The ship is definitely rocking and rolling and I understand why we couldn't dock. I did sit out and get a good bit of sun. DH doesn't do too well with this type of sea, so am crossing fingers that at least the wind will die down. Still a great cruise. Wondering where we will go since we are now about even with the tip of Cuba. Maybe Miami early. This is something the cruise line couldn't help.

Well it finally calmed down a little. It was heavy all night. So we passed Havana now and are chugging towards Miami at about 12 knots. I kind of wished he would have put the pedal to the metal so we could spend some time in Miami, but whatever is fine for us. As Heather in Florida said, this ship makes passengers feel good...not like cargo. I am anxious to get on with my reservations. I have everything through June 2014, but am waiting IMPATIENTLY to book two more legs for December 2014 and January 2015. That will give me the six legs! We are entirely happy here. I thought I was hopeless!! Anway, good to hear from you. Guess we will need jackets tomorrow in Miami

I certainly will Caroldoll!

Sincerely appreciate your strong confidence in our brand- 5 more sailings WOW!

BTW- tell all your "former shipmates" to join you on the big switcheroo!

FDR

We are in - 3 booked on Regent, 1 booked on O and who knows, after December on Riviera we may just switch over for good...You have done a good job building "luxury your way"

Well it finally calmed down a little. It was heavy all night. So we passed Havana now and are chugging towards Miami at about 12 knots. I kind of wished he would have put the pedal to the metal so we could spend some time in Miami, but whatever is fine for us. As Heather in Florida said, this ship makes passengers feel good...not like cargo. I am anxious to get on with my reservations. I have everything through June 2014, but am waiting IMPATIENTLY to book two more legs for December 2014 and January 2015. That will give me the six legs! We are entirely happy here. I thought I was hopeless!! Anway, good to hear from you. Guess we will need jackets tomorrow in Miami

Yep, afternoon in the mid-60's I expect. Carol, Are you doing legs of a partricular journey?

We haven't sailed Riviera. Have sailed the Med on Marina. After 17 Crystal voyages I found Marina a better experience. My Wife though is totally 'Crystallized' so we can not totally switch. We are going on Marina this summer to The Baltic. I thoroughly enjoyed Marina and the food I thought was better than Crystal. We had just got off of Symphony in Lisbon and picked up Marina in Barcelona so comparisons were rather fresh in my mind.

I am amazed that Oceania has 5 cruise ships and Crystal is still at 2. Oceania is doing something right!

And that FDR reads or has someone read this board and reply is awesome.

We are in - 3 booked on Regent, 1 booked on O and who knows, after December on Riviera we may just switch over for good...You have done a good job building "luxury your way"

Don't thnk you can go wrong with either product. We have loved "O" since we found it in 2007 and have 8 cruises, but now are going on our 2nd Regent cruise in less than 2 weeks. We look at itineray etc. and book accordindly but look forward to being back on "O" in June and again in January 2014 for 30 days from Capetown. Only ship haven't experinced on "O" is Riviera and have it in our sights! Happy cruising!

Archived