Celebrity Reflection or Royal Princess

whynotsooner

Hey all,

I am planning a trip for my parents and I. I am in my teen's and they are in there 50's. We are planning to take a cruise on December 14 or 15th of this year(2013). The only thing is that we can't decide which ship to choose. They are both similar in price and embark within a 45 minutes drive of each other. We love to relax but still have things to do. Good food and evening entertainment are also key. Can I have some help?

We are mid to late 50'ties, just off the Ruby Princess, we are coming home to Celebrity! Reflection Nov 2013. IMHO, Celebrity hands down, with RCCL next. Was it bad? No, but no where close to Celebrity. If there is an 'M' Class Ship with a route you like, book it over an 'S' class for their 1st cruise.

I prefer the elegance/sophistication of Celebrity, but IMO Princess does a better job of offering entertainment (big shows, small shows, game shows, comedians, parties, etc galore). If you are going to hang out with your parents at night, I think Princess would be more fun, and the Royal Princess looks awesome. I'm not sure which line has a better teen club.

One thing to do is to make a list and compare the different types of venues and facilities on each ship that are important to you and your family. Do you use the spa and fitness centers a lot? Is food or the number of different eateries important? Make particular note of the ones that are included, or are an extra fee. How about pools, adult-only venues, or entertainment (indoor and outdoor)?

Having just come off the Ruby Princes is what was nothing short of an extremely disappointing cruise, I would still choose Royal Princess, and am booked on her for December 8th. She is like nothing else in the Princess Cruises fleet, and a whole new design with lots of amazing features, a new decor, and expanded venues.

If you haven't already, check out the 'Everything Royal Princess' thread linked below from the Princess Cruises Forum. Sure, it's mostly done with stills from the preview videos and deck plans from the web site (because real interior pictures of the ship 'complete' don't exist yet), but it will give you a pretty good idea what to expect. If you have time there are lots of details that might help you decide.

There are also comparison deck plans between the atrium and piazza of the new Royal Princess and the Ruby Princess to show how much bigger it is.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1766069

I'm not sure which line has a better teen club.

The Royal Princess not only has a huge teen club, but their own expanded outdoor lounge area and hot tub. It looks pretty cool.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=36955132&postcount=417

Just off the Reflection and I can tell you that if you want to relax, then this is the ship for you. We are also in our 50s and we were bored out of our minds.

The shows were sub par at best and the crew, (with the exception of our cabin steward and the bartenders at the Molecular) was the worst we ever incountered. Yeah, they would say good morning/afternoon but rarely ever saw a smile. Even the captain looked/seemed grumpy all the time.

As for teenager things to do,,,, I don't remember reading or seeing much of anything for you to do

On the plus side, the ship is nice, the food was good, and the promo drink package was great.

But there just isn't much excitement on board and we couldn't wait to get off. This cruise ranks at the bottom for me.:(

Never been on Princess so i can't help you there.

One thing I would caution the teen about- December 14th or 15th there will be very few teens on any ship- Reflection and Royal included. However- since Reflection is bigger an will hold more passengers- i think you have a better chance of seeing teens in the teen club.

Have a wonderful time- whatever you decide.:)

Just off the Reflection and I can tell you that if you want to relax, then this is the ship for you. We are also in our 50s and we were bored out of our minds.

The shows were sub par at best and the crew, (with the exception of our cabin steward and the bartenders at the Molecular) was the worst we ever incountered. Yeah, they would say good morning/afternoon but rarely ever saw a smile. Even the captain looked/seemed grumpy all the time.

As for teenager things to do,,,, I don't remember reading or seeing much of anything for you to do

On the plus side, the ship is nice, the food was good, and the promo drink package was great.

But there just isn't much excitement on board and we couldn't wait to get off. This cruise ranks at the bottom for me.:(

Never been on Princess so i can't help you there.

wow:eek:...sorry you had such a terrible cruise:eek:......too bad your

good food, drinks and nice ship didn't help. (your words).

Sorry you were bored out of your minds:eek:...... we are in the same age

bracket and I have never been bored on a cruise.

One thing I would caution the teen about- December 14th or 15th there will be very few teens on any ship- Reflection and Royal included. However- since Reflection is bigger an will hold more passengers- i think you have a better chance of seeing teens in the teen club.

I believe Royal Princess has the edge as far as size and passenger count:

Celebrity Reflection

1,047' length

123' beam

126,000 tons

3,046 passengers

Royal Princess

1,083' length

126' beam

141,000 tons

3,600 passengers

We were on the Ruby in Nov. Nice ship but really didn't impress me as anything special. Don't know how much better the Royal will be. From the promo pictures I see it looks fantastic.

We will be on the Reflection in a few weeks. Have sailed on 2 other S class ships and was impressed. Liked the lawn area, and Celebrity Life activites.

Entertainment wise both cruise lines are similar, but I think X is a tad better.

Movies under the stars is nice on Princess.

Can't really make any comparisons for teen activities

X is basically non smoking. Princess is more liberal.

X has more class and seems to have more of the little things like champaign when embarking, cold towels and refreshments at dock side.

Princess has a nice coffee card and worth it because their coffee is the worst.

X has more beverage package options.

Whatever line you choose both will be nice as they are the newest ships.

Sorry for the quick highjack.

Do you mind if I ask why?

Hi Gambee!

After coming off of Allure of the Seas and literally having the best of the best, Ruby Princess just failed to impress me. Other than three notable meals in non-MDR venues the food just wasn't all that. In most cases it looked pretty, but I'd had better at Denny's. And I'll probably get flamed for that! ;) The pool and lido decks were OK enough, but covered in this cheap, ugly, blue-green 1950's 'Holiday Inn patio and poolside' looking indoor/outdoor carpet. And the Movies Under the Stars played old movies and old shows a lot. Not much worth watching unless you were bored. And the whole ship felt claustrophobic, even the atrium.

With that said, I'm booked on Royal Princess because she's not another Grand-class clone. If she was, I'd be sailing Norwegian Gem or Celebrity Constellation instead.

Archived