Dragons Breath Zipline

gelo7

One time only....funny I was watching the zipline the last time I went to Labadee and I quickly calculated that @ $92.00 ea and at someone "zipping" by me about twice every minute that meant that in one hour alone that little "excursion" generates around $11,000 PER HOUR....and that is a low estimate because they came by more frequently than that most of the time....pretty nice profit margin I would think in that ride!!!!

You get a practice on a little zip line on the beach, so you know how the harness etc works, then get taken in 4WD to the top of the 'mountain' and have your one and only go! Haven't done it myself, but from memory watching others zoom overhead, the trip down the line is about 90 seconds. Bl00dy expensive for what you get!

Simon

One time only....funny I was watching the zipline the last time I went to Labadee and I quickly calculated that @ $92.00 ea and at someone "zipping" by me about twice every minute that meant that in one hour alone that little "excursion" generates around $11,000 PER HOUR....and that is a low estimate because they came by more frequently than that most of the time....pretty nice profit margin I would think in that ride!!!!

It is really funny, that is exactly what we did :D. But the one thing is that there were gaps in between so I really don't think they are making as much as you're calculating.

It is really funny, that is exactly what we did :D. But the one thing is that there were gaps in between so I really don't think they are making as much as you're calculating.

I think it's at least that much but even if a bit less, let's say $10,000 an hour....on a 6 hour day(and I've never had a day in Labadee that was that short) that's $60,000.00...but even if you cut it in half at $30,000 that's still a huge number!

And they don't miss many days there with all the X and Royal ships stopping there....lucrative investment for them for sure!!

So perhaps we ought to ask you Alex; did you think it was worth the money for 55 seconds of 'thrills'?

Simon

It was a fun time. Something you should definitely do once in your lifetime! Would I do it again. NO!!!. Price is subjective. Some people feel it is worth the money others will argue it is a waste of time. If want to do it I say go for it.

What the trip consists of.

10 min intro on how to descend the zip lines.

Fitting of harnesses

small walk to a mini zipline, you will go down this first so you can practice the different positions

Crazy drive up the mountainside in off road vehicles.

Zipline down the longest zipline in the Caribbean.

All in all from check in to final landing is about 40-60 minutes. So if someone is on the beach waiting to film you just let them know it might be a long wait.

It was a fun time. Something you should definitely do once in your lifetime! Would I do it again. NO!!!. Price is subjective. Some people feel it is worth the money others will argue it is a waste of time. If want to do it I say go for it.

What the trip consists of.

10 min intro on how to descend the zip lines.

Fitting of harnesses

small walk to a mini zipline, you will go down this first so you can practice the different positions

Crazy drive up the mountainside in off road vehicles.

Zipline down the longest zipline in the Caribbean.

All in all from check in to final landing is about 40-60 minutes. So if someone is on the beach waiting to film you just let them know it might be a long wait.

Hi:) and that is what makes us all different.:D Your first sentence

says you think everyone should do it at least once....well, not

because of the cost but I have absolutely no desire to zipline.

Not anything that appeals to me whatsovever.......for those who

enjoy it? Have a great time...but I will pass, thanks:) and I think

my life won't miss it either;)

We did it a few years ago, scared of heights, awesome experience for us and will definitely do it again until they put an age restriction, no spring chickens here. The experience can't be measured by cost per minute. It is the view going down that is truly unforgettable. Zip lined in Costa Rica last summer, but always looking to the next platform, not the scenery. On this, that is all you have to do for a whole minute. If the 85 year old lady beside me could do it, this 65 year old women and 69 year old man had to give it a try. Certainly a decision I don't regret.:):)

Kathryn

Interesting question, the responses seemed to stray a little bit. I have no idea what the total revenues per hour estimated for RC has to do with what one pays for themself?

My Experience - My Wife Wouldn't Do It:

The first trip to Labadee, I watched the whole process, went to see if there were more spots open, there were, I chickened out. We watched for quite a while, from the training on the replica tower by the beach, while on the 'coaster ride and from the beach and landing. Just didn't dare.

When we booked another cruise, a B2B E and W Caribbean, I booked the Dragons Breath 'right off. Put it on our daily planner, with a couple of pictures on the screen saver.

I wasn't sure that I would do it.

Worried about it and hedged to my wife that I wouldn't do it.

Then the cruise came, we docked, and into the line I went at my time. Good, loose organization at the gear up area, made sure of the size fit, nice pepped up intro from the Aussie 27 YO trainer/guide, and off to the training site.

Replica of the real take off tower, a few quit after that or didn't do it. The guide and on local were great, funny, serious; trying to break the tension for the nervous ones as it showed, yet very professional with the safety. I appeared fine compared to quite a few others. The training was easy, but I had watched it before so that helped. I'm also in my mid-50s, decent condition.

Up the hill by truck to the tower is not the same as the training. You 'feel the height, rocks and the tower. You notice things like the number of different cable zip lines, the metal grated floors with big holes (for the wind to blow through), and you pay real close attention to the first safety clip before they walk you to your cable for the ride clip.

That walk was something. You are over everything. If there is a wind, that adds to the experience.

From there, it is up to you; sitting up and slowing down you could get stuck. Feet up and straight, back arched, you 'fly. You will hit the springs really hard at the bottom. My feet and legs went up spread eagle on each side of the landing spring assembly. And a couple of guys caught me early.

It happened so fast I don't even know if I took a 'breath.

It was a 'blast.

The whole experience was about 45 minutes (the zipline itself, a breath), I thought it was a great deal. The experience is not just the zip. I would have paid over a hundred bucks for a video of experience from the sling (holding me), the tower, the beach and the landing. I'm surprised they haven't got that yet.

IT IS UP TO YOU.

Go for it and I hope that you have that 'thrill of an experience that I had.

MY WIFE still won't consider it, but she enjoyed watching me go through the process with some trepidation, the excitement. She had a 'Coors Light ready for me, and I bragged the rest of the day about it.

;)

Interesting question, the responses seemed to stray a little bit. I have no idea what the total revenues per hour estimated for RC has to do with what one pays for themself?

My Experience - My Wife Wouldn't Do It:

The first trip to Labadee, I watched the whole process, went to see if there were more spots open, there were, I chickened out. We watched for quite a while, from the training on the replica tower by the beach, while on the 'coaster ride and from the beach and landing. Just didn't dare.

When we booked another cruise, a B2B E and W Caribbean, I booked the Dragons Breath 'right off. Put it on our daily planner, with a couple of pictures on the screen saver.

I wasn't sure that I would do it.

Worried about it and hedged to my wife that I wouldn't do it.

Then the cruise came, we docked, and into the line I went at my time. Good, loose organization at the gear up area, made sure of the size fit, nice pepped up intro from the Aussie 27 YO trainer/guide, and off to the training site.

Replica of the real take off tower, a few quit after that or didn't do it. The guide and on local were great, funny, serious; trying to break the tension for the nervous ones as it showed, yet very professional with the safety. I appeared fine compared to quite a few others. The training was easy, but I had watched it before so that helped. I'm also in my mid-50s, decent condition.

Up the hill by truck to the tower is not the same as the training. You 'feel the height, rocks and the tower. You notice things like the number of different cable zip lines, the metal grated floors with big holes (for the wind to blow through), and you pay real close attention to the first safety clip before they walk you to your cable for the ride clip.

That walk was something. You are over everything. If there is a wind, that adds to the experience.

From there, it is up to you; sitting up and slowing down you could get stuck. Feet up and straight, back arched, you 'fly. You will hit the springs really hard at the bottom. My feet and legs went up spread eagle on each side of the landing spring assembly. And a couple of guys caught me early.

It happened so fast I don't even know if I took a 'breath.

It was a 'blast.

The whole experience was about 45 minutes (the zipline itself, a breath), I thought it was a great deal. The experience is not just the zip. I would have paid over a hundred bucks for a video of experience from the sling (holding me), the tower, the beach and the landing. I'm surprised they haven't got that yet.

IT IS UP TO YOU.

Go for it and I hope that you have that 'thrill of an experience that I had.

MY WIFE still won't consider it, but she enjoyed watching me go through the process with some trepidation, the excitement. She had a 'Coors Light ready for me, and I bragged the rest of the day about it.

;)

After reading this, I am really ready to have at it.

Archived