X glasses smells from...

fishycomics

This is your second post today asking this question. It's probably the type of disinfectant soap they use to wash glasses and dishes. I wouldn't spend one minute worrying about this. Use paper cups if it makes you feel better.

yes it was my second post today as I looked hard for my first one that was no way to be found Lol.

the smell is from humidity, on one of the X lines, and would not make a difference to report, it is a humidity problem tht most people ignore or think is normal:cool:

This will be my 1st Celebrity cuise. I have a question inspired by the 'glasses' subject.

How big are Celebrity's glasses? Sounds like a dumb question till you sail on HAL. They have the most pathetic, tiny glasses in the buffet, I think no larger than 6 oz. Had to go back over and over. I have to believe that entire company got some amazing deal on them, as they were on both my cruises with them. Drove me crazy, on a trip that I loved overall.

So here's to large, heavy glasses and their invigorating and long lasting contents! ;)

Doug

yes it was my second post today as I looked hard for my first one that was no way to be found Lol.

the smell is from humidity, on one of the X lines, and would not make a difference to report, it is a humidity problem tht most people ignore or think is normal:cool:

Fishy, the way you find your posts is by clicking on your user name. It immediately pops up "find all posts by...." voila! go to yours. It's even quicker if you go to "find all threads started by..." for posts that you've initiated (such as this one).

BTW, I've never sniffed the dishes. :eek:

passing the Buffet and refreshments, as grabbing a glasss, I grab the paper cups instead. Always that foul odar?

Have you ever taken a wiff of the glasses and smell like a stagment fish tank?

Many think its normal, do you,

Never noticed this. More importantly neither has my better half. :D She's not at all into fish/fishy odors. The only fish she'll eat is salmon and she prefers a salmon burger I make with lots of seasonings and spices.

Dec 12th 2012 Equinox, and other Ships I was on.

it is something we try not to do at all. it is noticeable if you know what you are after, fishy or not.

The size glasses on the ships are a good 12 oz enough to satisfy anyone.

yes like said I just did not see my post I thank you for the way to look for it. things do happen Lol.

Twenty two Celebrity cruises under my belt, and I confess I never stopped to smell the glasses. Never noticed an odor. Never noticed any off-taste. Don't quite know what else to say about this one:eek:

I thought I was supposed to stop and smell the "ROSES." :D :rolleyes:

Please join your cruise director's staff tomorrow at 10:00 AM in the Sky Lounge for a glass-smelling demonstration. You will learn about the subtle differences in scent between say a jelly glass, a juice glass, a tumbler, rocks glass and other bar ware. Do not miss this highly entertaining and informative event! $50.00 fee includes a set of glasses to take home as a keepsake.

Dec 12th 2012 Equinox, and other Ships I was on.

it is something we try not to do at all. it is noticeable if you know what you are after, fishy or not. . .

Fishy, I've found your comments very interesting. I often smell disagreeable odors such as those you've described, especially in water glasses at restaurants. I have not noticed this much on X, but I don't drink much unbottled water on board. Another thing I've noticed is that many people do not notice this kind of odor. There may be a genetic basis for the sensitivity.

Rich

For the plastic blue drinking glasses, they were good, The coffee cups, the plates, in the Buffet had the certain smell. In the MDR the dish and glasses would have it

Now like said the smell gets activated when water is poured into the glass and sits for a few minutes, hot dishes, cold dishes etc...

if you have a clean glass this smell can be found in ICE, so is it a water thing, a detergent thing, or acombo.

could this smell be caused by lack of agents, chemicals not used in water, it sure can.

Anything is possible.

To bring this to an attention of a crew member will not fix the smell.

I find it funny that when we sat down, we are the only one's that smell this problem, and no one else, they all think it is normal.

You can research to your hearts end, and there is no true answer to this smell, or cure.

they say use lemon juice to take away, orange, tang, you name it

. the trick to eliminate the smell is baking soda in the dish washer closed, till dishes are ready to wash, turning on hot water prior will be helpful? the real trick is cutting the humidty with baking soda, that is the key

please join your cruise director's staff tomorrow at 10:00 am in the sky lounge for a glass-smelling demonstration. You will learn about the subtle differences in scent between say a jelly glass, a juice glass, a tumbler, rocks glass and other bar ware. Do not miss this highly entertaining and informative event! $50.00 fee includes a set of glasses to take home as a keepsake.

...great post

Have you ever smelled the glasses that come out of your dishwasher? I rinse out my clean coffee cups at home because Cascade Complete works well in our dishwasher, but it leaves an odor on the glasses.

I am pretty sure that the odor you are smelling is from the detergent they use on board.

I really don't mean to have this sound as if I'm putting the OP down, but if the crew can't do anything about it, everyone else thinks this is normal, and there is no answer or 'cure', then what's the point?

Well, one good thing that could come of this thread...you'll be able to spot other CruiseCritic readers by looking around and seeing people sniffing away at their glasses, cups, dishes, etc! I know no matter how hard I'll try not to, I'll remember this and give it a go in September.

Hope you enjoy cruising beyond this issue.

Den

I really don't mean to have this sound as if I'm putting the OP down, but if the crew can't do anything about it, everyone else thinks this is normal, and there is no answer or 'cure', then what's the point?

Well, one good thing that could come of this thread...you'll be able to spot other CruiseCritic readers by looking around and seeing people sniffing away at their glasses, cups, dishes, etc! I know no matter how hard I'll try not to, I'll remember this and give it a go in September.

Hope you enjoy cruising beyond this issue.

Den

Well, I definitely need some glass cleaner now -- for my computer screen, that is! :p

(Thanks for the chuckle, Den! ;))

I am the OP, Lol. you are not putting me down. takes a lot more than that to ruffle my feathers or dry my fins....

Many people have no clue, about this smell, at all, many think it is normal. What activates the smell is Humidity, and what creates the smell, can be a number of things. I can go into great detail, but will not.

So the next time I see ya on board taking a wiff I know I got my point across. you will clearly see me take a BIG wiff, because I am not afraid to express ho I feel.

there is no need to bring this to a staffs attention, some one else can....:)

I am the OP, Lol. you are not putting me down. takes a lot more than that to ruffle my feathers or dry my fins....

Many people have no clue, about this smell, at all, many think it is normal. What activates the smell is Humidity, and what creates the smell, can be a number of things. I can go into great detail, but will not.

So the next time I see ya on board taking a wiff I know I got my point across. you will clearly see me take a BIG wiff, because I am not afraid to express ho I feel.

there is no need to bring this to a staffs attention, some one else can....:)

Classy, glad you can roll with it....

That reminds me of when I went to one of my first wine tastings.....when he told us to give the wine a good swirl and then to stick our noses right into the glass and take a Big Wiff instead of just sniffing at it from the lip, I stuck my honker right in there. Well, one of my 'callsigns' when I was flying was 'The Beak' for obvious reasons----I must of sucked up half the glass of wine and almost drowned!!!

So, No, I wont be 'wafting' any juice or water glasses in the buffet!

Den

Archived