What IS turndown?

RoonilWazlib

I keep hearing the word "turndown" around here? I know it has something to do with the cabin steward entering your cabin in the evening. But if they already cleaned it that morning, why are they coming back again later?

If you don't want to have your cabin steward waltzing in, can you just put up a "do not disturb" doorknob sign or something?

I keep hearing the word "turndown" around here? I know it has something to do with the cabin steward entering your cabin in the evening. But if they already cleaned it that morning, why are they coming back again later?

If you don't want to have your cabin steward waltzing in, can you just put up a "do not disturb" doorknob sign or something?

"Do not disturb" means just that. They won't come and bother you at all.

Turndown usually occurs while you are at dinner. Just a final cleaning of the cabin and take off the spread and fold back the covers for you to get into bed. They also leave a piece of chocolate on the pillow.

"Do not disturb" means just that. They won't come and bother you at all.

Turndown usually occurs while you are at dinner. Just a final cleaning of the cabin and take off the spread and fold back the covers for you to get into bed. They also leave a piece of chocolate on the pillow.

Ditto..

Don't rely on the do not disturb sign. It can fall off the door. There is also a lock that you turn. If it is locked the attendant is not allowed to come in.

As for cleaning the cabin if there is a piece of paper on the floor, or anything on the table tops they will to disturb it or throw it away. I asked an attendant about that one time and he said they leave it because it may have fell of onto the floor by accident. And they do want to throw away any papers on the table tops because passengers may be saving them.

Don't count on a towel animal, I don't think it is a standard on X. The only cruise line that I have ever had them on was Carnival.

Just off 14 day Eclipse.

Thank goodness, only 1 animal, 1 night, made out of the beach towel.

Those guys have far more important things to do, IMO. One night I was done in from a day at the beach, and at turn down I had not decided on dinner (my steward asked..).

A little later I ordered a room service pizza, and was horrified when my steward delivered it.

HUH? He has to take time out of cleaning toilets to deliver food to me?

Needless to say, I never ordered room service again after that.

I always get new beach towels and a fresh bucket of ice during turndown service. It is lovely to have a clean garbage, and all the info of the dailies as well as a chocolate to nibble on after the show.

Enjoy the service.

As I always say, "Cruising is like travelling with your mom, without the stress of having to travel with your MOM!"

Point taken. It was just that we were on US time and really screwed up. So often we would nap during the day and they would be dropping off canapes- which face it- they aren't really very good and food abounds. They would be bringing laundry or checking to restock the mini bar, etc.

I did have a bout with stomach virus and Quarantined myself for 24 hours. I had to leave the do not disturb sign off for room service and just when I'd fall asleep- I'd get a knock at the door.

So I don't mean to sound spoiled- it's just a good idea if you want to nap, to put the do not disturb sign off.

Just off 14 day Eclipse.

A little later I ordered a room service pizza, and was horrified when my steward delivered it.

HUH? He has to take time out of cleaning toilets to deliver food to me?

Needless to say, I never ordered room service again after that.

More than likely, your stateroom attendant doesn't clean your toilet. He has an assistant that does that.

EatonDoolittle, why were you horrified? During their duty hours, that is part of the job of the steward. (At other times of day, other staff do the room service delivery.) It isn't a question of the stewards taking time away from their job, it is their job.

One, because other lines I have sailed have a separate room service (food) staff, and two, my point about going from toilet cleaning to food service. Yuk.

Not a big deal at all, just a learning experience, I guess. From that night on, I just got myself dressed and out to dinner, no matter how tired (or rum - punched) I was.

So I don't mean to sound spoiled- it's just a good idea if you want to nap, to put the do not disturb sign off.

I didn't think you did, I've just been on a "FWP" kick lately and thought this fit nicely. We just returned from Summit last weekend with some friends who joined us. They came home to find that their parents (who were watching their young children) had the heat set at 80 all week--we joked about it:

"Just got back from a week-long cruise to find out that my inlaws had our heat set at 80. Our gas bill will be high next month. First World Problems"

:)

As others have mentioned, Celebrity is not known for their towel animals, if you get one it will be the exception.

I did 42 nights with celebrity last year spread across 3 ships and 3 cruises and not 1 towel animal was produced. We did Aqua and Concierge and didn't get a single one.

Back to the OP question - as you have posted over 100 times then I would assume that have had your cabin turndown before?

NCL leaves towel animals, as well. :)

So do Disney :)

Great to know. I was never on those cruise lines.

Doubt of I ever will be. Don't want to be around a bunch of rug rats that Disney will certainly have and the NCL doesn't appeal to me.

They don't really clean it per se, but since many people take a nap before dinner they make the bed up again but turn down the covers near the pillows. Likewise, many people take another shower etc. before dinner, so they tidy the bathroom and leave fresh towels, empty the trash and so forth. They also close the drapes, and usually turn a light on so you don't walk back into a dark cabin.

In nice hotels, turndown can also include additional touches such as putting slippers by the bedside, turning the radio or TV on to an easy listening type music station, putting bottled water on the bedside table and so forth.

I know they have towel animals on NCL - I put a quick end to that when we returned from dinner, turned on the lights and there was a monkey hanging from the ceiling:eek::eek: I didn't like getting them to begin with because I didn't know what to do with them plus the stewards have better things to do with their time - but that monkey totally creeped me out. I think it's great when they make them for children though.

I have to admit from the title of this thread, the first thing I thought of was:

"turndown is what happens when you don't wear formal wear to formal night in the MDR".

I must be too tuned in to CC because so many threads turn into formal night threads :)

Since most people tend to shower after a hot day in the sun, the cabin steward takes away those wet towels, gives you clean ones and turns down the bed so it's ready for you to climb into at the end of the night. There's nothing out of the ordinary for cabin stewards to do this and I don't know of anyone who refuses the service.

Since most people tend to shower after a hot day in the sun, the cabin steward takes away those wet towels, gives you clean ones and turns down the bed so it's ready for you to climb into at the end of the night. There's nothing out of the ordinary for cabin stewards to do this and I don't know of anyone who refuses the service.

If you are in aqua on the m-class ships, you definitely want "turndown" service if you shower before dinner. The new glass shower doors don't fit tightly so when you take a shower, water goes under the door on to the bathroom floor soaking the floor mat (and anything else on the floor near the shower). At turndown, they remove the soggy floor mat, replace the towel as well as turn down the bed and leave a chocolate.

Archived