Shark at Coki beach

sandycruzr

Went snorkeling at Coki Beach last week and saw a large shark.

It was at least 10 feet long (other snorkeler thought it was 12 foot long).

Out past the buoys closest on the side closest to Coral World. The shark didn't bother anyone but....I still felt uncomfortable..yikes!

Since there were a lot of people at Coki I thought the prudent thing to do would be to let the life guard know. When I pointed it out to him...he said "No problem" and just kept an eye out towards the area I pointed out.

The waitress told us that smaller nurse sharks come in to feed everyday at Coki but she hasn't seen anything bigger than 6 feet.

We also saw some cool fish and a ray:)

It's like that everywhere. We live in the Florida panhandle. Take a ride in a small plane over the Gulf of Mexico, there are 1,000's of sharks just off the coast. It's where they live. They rarely bother anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

So so glad I read this AFTER we visited Coki last week! Perhaps it's due to all the dog biscuits people are feeding the fish.:eek:

Really was like swimming in an aquarium with so many fish all around. Lotsa fun.

Went snorkeling at Coki Beach last week and saw a large shark.

It was at least 10 feet long (other snorkeler thought it was 12 foot long).

Out past the buoys closest on the side closest to Coral World. The shark didn't bother anyone but....I still felt uncomfortable..yikes!

Since there were a lot of people at Coki I thought the prudent thing to do would be to let the life guard know. When I pointed it out to him...he said "No problem" and just kept an eye out towards the area I pointed out.

The waitress told us that smaller nurse sharks come in to feed everyday at Coki but she hasn't seen anything bigger than 6 feet.

We also saw some cool fish and a ray:)

Holy Crap!! How scary....We are going to St Thomas in a few weeks and my plan was to go there....The first time we had gone somewhere else. I was wondering is the Coral World RIGHT next door?? My mom isn't a beach person so I was gonna drop her there and snorkel with my son....Can you tell me anything more about your experience??? So the snorkeling was great??

Thanks,

Kris

Nurse sharks are in a different family from "Jaws." They are not dangerous, although if you poked at 'em, they might get annoyed with you. The last fatal shark attack in the USVI was in the early 1960s. And the only incidents I have ever heard of involved spearfishing. When snorkeling you should be aware of things like sea urchins and fire corals. These are the dangerous creatures you may encounter.;)

• 2 months later...
Nurse sharks are in a different family from "Jaws." They are not dangerous, although if you poked at 'em, they might get annoyed with you. The last fatal shark attack in the USVI was in the early 1960s. ...

So you're saying they're overdue? :D

Archived