Just off Poesia - The good and not so good

2910car

Went on the Poesia a few weeks back with another family who are Celebrity snobs :D

We all had a fantastic time, the ship has to be the cleanest ship sailing the Caribbean, I did not see a speck of rust anywhere on the outside unlike all the others. Shows are stunning, food was a bit hit and miss, Italian night was the best food I have ever had, period, stake Diane on another night was awful.

MSC really need some American input to help them out over here with customer service issues but they have a good starting point, they certainly know how to run a clean ship and generally do a lot of things refreshingly different and right in my book.

OUCH! As a Celebrity snob myself I take offense at your comment! JK, but at least I can admit it! =X= has treated us incredibly on every cruise and we normally choose them first when making cruise plans, hence the snobbism. Everyone has an opinion.

Still, you raise some very good points and ones that we will be paying close attention to. We're sailing the Poesia solely because it's a Moody Blues cruise. Would we have given them another shot otherwise? Hard to say since we had such a bad experience before. Nevertheless, hopefully they've made some improvements and we plan to have open minds on this upcoming journey.

You are also dead on with your comment on "American input." We had issues with the service and definitely the food. They might need a little help "Americanizing" their US offerings, and I'd be more than happy to offer my services!

We'll let you know what's up when we get back.

"You didn't cruise the MSC Poesia so how do you know what you lost? You didn't "lose" anything. You sailed a different cruiseline and had a great time, and that's great, but how do you KNOW you made the better decision? Plus, how does gazing across the port and looking at the beautiful Poesia give you a bad view?

You can't criticize what you have not experienced. In other words, you can't say you don't like broccoli if you've never tried it."

jt1120 ..... Have to agree with all of the above!

We're sailing the Poesia solely because it's a Moody Blues cruise. Would we have given them another shot otherwise? Hard to say since we had such a bad experience before. Nevertheless, hopefully they've made some improvements and we plan to have open minds on this upcoming journey.

Is this a full ship charter or a group on a regular cruise?

If it is a charter, I would be interested to hear how it was. We are doing a RSVP charter on MSC next year and it will be a new cruise lien for us.

Would someone please tell me what brand of soft drinks are offered on MSC? My mother will be sailing at the beginning of April and she is trying to find out if they sell Coke or Pepsi? She drinks diet coke and is trying to determine whether she wants to order the beverage package or not.

Would someone please tell me what brand of soft drinks are offered on MSC? My mother will be sailing at the beginning of April and she is trying to find out if they sell Coke or Pepsi? She drinks diet coke and is trying to determine whether she wants to order the beverage package or not.

I spent over 40 minutes on the phone with customer service tying to get an answer. They ended up calling the ship (Poesia) and determined that in fact they serve coke products.

First of all, what does "demping" mean? I've never heard the word before so, in order to understand your post, it would be helpful to know what demping is.

You didn't cruise the MSC Poesia so how do you know what you lost? You didn't "lose" anything. You sailed a different cruiseline and had a great time, and that's great, but how do you KNOW you made the better decision? Plus, how does gazing across the port and looking at the beautiful Poesia give you a bad view?

You can't criticize what you have not experienced. In other words, you can't say you don't like broccoli if you've never tried it.

Another spelling is dumping.

How can I know - general experience and specific information.

It's not a problem for an experienced cruiser.

Think about your doctor. Does he have to cut a patient in pieces to give him a diagnosis? No.

You can do it yourself.

Here is a basic "preliminary assessment chart" for comparison.

Please choose Yes or No.

MSC Poesia

Itinerary

Number of ports -

Number of private islands -

Design

Wrap-around Promenade - Yes or No

Front open observation Deck - Yes or No

Aft open observation Deck - Yes or No

Separate aft pool area for adults - Yes or No

Serene sun deck - Yes or No

Additional sun deck - Yes or No

Sports court - Yes or No

Observation lounge - Yes or No

Spa

Hydropool & Thermal Suite - Yes or No

Dining

Selection of alternative dining venues included in the price - Yes or No

Afternoon tea proper service - Yes or No

Fresh juce for breakfast - Yes or No

Selection of specialty dining venues - Yes or No

Dinner in buffet - Yes or No

Lunch on private islands - Yes or No

Entertainment

Main stage - Yes or No

Other main stages - Yes or No

Small stage - Yes or No

Live music performances on the main stage - Yes or No

Live music performances on the small stage - Yes or No

Live music in loungers - Yes or No

Statistics

Number of passengers -

Gross tonnage -

Years in operation -

Some things considered "Yes" by definition. No questions needed.

This is the first part.

Go through it and see what you have.

This is purely objective assessment that will tell you a lot.

You will extend it by adding and analizing ship photos, videos, deck plans, restaurant menus, by observing ships in person while in ports, etc.

Then you move to the subjective part - likes and dislikes in reviews.

Try to squeeze some more factual info from them.

Add your own cruising experience.

We're on the same sailing, and, yes, we'll try to leave some food for them as well.

First of all, what does "demping" mean? I've never heard the word before so, in order to understand your post, it would be helpful to know what demping is.

You didn't cruise the MSC Poesia so how do you know what you lost? You didn't "lose" anything. You sailed a different cruiseline and had a great time, and that's great, but how do you KNOW you made the better decision? Plus, how does gazing across the port and looking at the beautiful Poesia give you a bad view?

You can't criticize what you have not experienced. In other words, you can't say you don't like broccoli if you've never tried it.

Thank you! My sentiments exactly!

Think about your doctor. Does he have to cut a patient in pieces to give him a diagnosis? No.

You can do it yourself.

Please choose Yes or No.

MSC Poesia

Itinerary

Number of ports -

Number of private islands -

Design

Wrap-around Promenade - Yes or No

Front open observation Deck - Yes or No

Aft open observation Deck - Yes or No

Separate aft pool area for adults - Yes or No

Serene sun deck - Yes or No

Additional sun deck - Yes or No

Sports court - Yes or No

Observation lounge - Yes or No

Spa

Hydropool & Thermal Suite - Yes or No

Dining

Selection of alternative dining venues included in the price - Yes or No

Afternoon tea proper service - Yes or No

Fresh juce for breakfast - Yes or No

Selection of specialty dining venues - Yes or No

Dinner in buffet - Yes or No

Lunch on private islands - Yes or No

Entertainment

Main stage - Yes or No

Other main stages - Yes or No

Small stage - Yes or No

Live music performances on the main stage - Yes or No

Live music performances on the small stage - Yes or No

Live music in loungers - Yes or No

Statistics

Number of passengers -

Gross tonnage -

Years in operation -

Some things considered "Yes" by definition. No questions needed.

This is the first part.

Go through it and see what you have.

This is purely objective assessment that will tell you a lot.

You will extend it by adding and analizing ship photos, videos, deck plans, restaurant menus, by observing ships in person while in ports, etc.

Then you move to the subjective part - likes and dislikes in reviews.

Try to squeeze some more factual info from them.

Add your own cruising experience.

:rolleyes:

Your little chart contains subjective factors that are important to you. Others couldn't care less about them. For example, I think private islands are hokey, and I prefer real ports. Does that make cruises with them (or lunch on them) objectively worse than those without? No, but may make me value another cruise higher, especially if the price/itinerary (my subjective important factors) are better.

I spent over 40 minutes on the phone with customer service tying to get an answer. They ended up calling the ship (Poesia) and determined that in fact they serve coke products.

My mother has been so worried because they kept telling her Pepsi, she called again today and was told Coke. So hopefully that information is correct. It will help her determine whether she wanted to purchase the drink package or not. She only drinks Diet Coke so she wasn't real excited to only have Pepsi (though personally I prefer Pepsi).

She sails on April 6 and has never sailed MSC, but the price for her sailing along was a really good price. She isn't too hard to please and not overly picky so I am thinking she will have a good time.

:rolleyes:

Your little chart contains subjective factors that are important to you. Others couldn't care less about them. For example, I think private islands are hokey, and I prefer real ports. Does that make cruises with them (or lunch on them) objectively worse than those without? No, but may make me value another cruise higher, especially if the price/itinerary (my subjective important factors) are better.

Let's go step by step.

I have been requested to explain how I manage to compare cruises (make a choice) without being on both.

The answer has been provided.

Is it understandable now?

:)

She sails on April 6 and has never sailed MSC, but the price for her sailing along was a really good price. She isn't too hard to please and not overly picky so I am thinking she will have a good time.

Is she on the Poesia? If so, send her on over to our roll call...we have a good bunch of folks on that cruise :D

You can do it yourself.

Thanks for sharing YOUR method. I admit I did most of that too, and probably most of us would have done some of it before booking a cruise.

But at the end of the day, it's NOT REAL cruise experience.

Personally, I would not bother to go at length to tell people what a can't-go-amiss choice I have made because I didn't sign up with a particular cruiseline.

Without experience it, I would never know whether it is a great decision. There is still a chance, despite conventional wisdom, it might be a great cruise. And the best planned cruise is just a piece of paperwork. So many things could still go wrong.

Let's go step by step.

I have been requested to explain how I manage to compare cruises (make a choice) without being on both.

Not really, considering you added the snarky little "you can do it yourself" line with yes or no answers, implying that what is important to you would also be of concern to the cruiser taking your survey, but whatever floats your boat and makes you feel good. Just as long as you know it does not necessarily work for the next person. I'm happy to be going on a cruise in a month, so whatever.

Let's go step by step.

Not going to dispute your choice or method, as it's probably the method or choice best fit you.

Whilst I appreciate your posts, but I think you may not be that kind of objective person/image that you might try to project in your first post (pardon me, if that's not your intention).

I'm happy to be going on a cruise in a month, so whatever.

I am going to find out too...same date, but in Med (so probably a full day ahead of you).

There is still a probability that I might return and vow never to cruise with MSC, but am not going to tell others not to until then. ;)

I am going to find out too...same date, but in Med (so probably a full day ahead of you).

There is still a probability that I might return and vow never to cruise with MSC, but am not going to tell others not to until then. ;)

Likewise :D

I've read bad reviews of MSC, but also good ones. The price and itinerary were right, and no one had anything bad to say about the ship and ports, so away we're going. We're pretty easy to please, so it will take actual bad experience to turn us into naysayers!

Have a great cruise!

Thanks for sharing YOUR method. I admit I did most of that too, and probably most of us would have done some of it before booking a cruise.

But at the end of the day, it's NOT REAL cruise experience.

Personally, I would not bother to go at length to tell people what a can't-go-amiss choice I have made because I didn't sign up with a particular cruiseline.

Without experience it, I would never know whether it is a great decision. There is still a chance, despite conventional wisdom, it might be a great cruise. And the best planned cruise is just a piece of paperwork. So many things could still go wrong.

Hi sthelder,

In fact, I do not make assessment charts for myself.

I just know everything I need about the ships.

As far as MSC Poesia is concerned, I know what this ship lacks. It's not a question for me.

The only question was if I decide to pay more for a better product.

My mother has been so worried because they kept telling her Pepsi, she called again today and was told Coke. So hopefully that information is correct. It will help her determine whether she wanted to purchase the drink package or not. She only drinks Diet Coke so she wasn't real excited to only have Pepsi (though personally I prefer Pepsi).

You say she is not picky and yet she is making such a big deal about diet pepsi and diet coke, why not carry on some diet coke !!!

Hi sthelder,

In fact, I do not make assessment charts for myself.

I just know everything I need about the ships.

As far as MSC Poesia is concerned, I know what this ship lacks. It's not a question for me.

The only question was if I decide to pay more for a better product.

Some people are happy to try a variety of styles, others have preferences, know their own preferences well and look for the product that best matches that. My list of criteria for me, would be very different from yours. They are both right and wrong. They are right only for us and wrong for others, as they are subjective criteria of what matters to us. Nothing wrong with that either, after all it's our holiday and days off work and money being spent.

What I do feel a bit strange is you posting on a forum of a cruise line you have never tried and have no intention of trying. Based on my own research and experiences of friends, nothing would make me consider trying RCCL or Carnival. They're probably great lines and obviously suit a lot of people but they're wrong for me. I don't however go over to those boards and tell people who have just sailed on them or are about to do so, that I'm glad I didn't book with them and how right I am not to have cruised with them and stuck to what I like.

This is an open forum and each of us are free to contribute to what they want to, so I'm not saying you should not be airing your subjective opinion here. After all, almost everything anyone posts is coloured to a lesser or greater degree by their own experiences and preferences.

I would say our choice is 95% Itinery driven rather than cruise company driven with the other 5% made up of time of year and holiday dates available.

Ship reviews can be taken in many ways and just because a few people say a particular cruise line to them is rubbish does not mean that it is! the only way to find out is to experience for yourself. After all there are some very picky people outhere who will complain if the Captain says it will be dry and it rains.

There are people who only cruise with a certain brand and fair play to them for that and as Amo mondo says it is their money after all, Cunard was not our favourite despite having had the best food of any ship we have been on and possibly the best service.

There is a cruise line for everyone Large, Medium or Small but telling people that any particular one is rubbish having never been on it is just leaving yourself open to ridicule.

You say she is not picky and yet she is making such a big deal about diet pepsi and diet coke, why not carry on some diet coke !!!

I don't think she's making a big deal about it - just trying to get enough information to make a decision. The decision seems to be "If diet coke = available, then buy drinks package, else don't".

If I was planning on buying something like a soft drink package in advance, I'd want to know that I'd find something on it that I'd drink.

Some people are happy to try a variety of styles, others have preferences, know their own preferences well and look for the product that best matches that. My list of criteria for me, would be very different from yours. They are both right and wrong. They are right only for us and wrong for others, as they are subjective criteria of what matters to us. Nothing wrong with that either, after all it's our holiday and days off work and money being spent.

What I do feel a bit strange is you posting on a forum of a cruise line you have never tried and have no intention of trying. Based on my own research and experiences of friends, nothing would make me consider trying RCCL or Carnival. They're probably great lines and obviously suit a lot of people but they're wrong for me. I don't however go over to those boards and tell people who have just sailed on them or are about to do so, that I'm glad I didn't book with them and how right I am not to have cruised with them and stuck to what I like.

This is an open forum and each of us are free to contribute to what they want to, so I'm not saying you should not be airing your subjective opinion here. After all, almost everything anyone posts is coloured to a lesser or greater degree by their own experiences and preferences.

How positively restrained and tactful, even diplomatic. Many would have simply ridiculed (and rightly so) anyone who pretended to evaluate a cruise ship or line they never experienced.

I like variety of styles too.

Moreover, I like trying new designs.

That's why I cruse on all cruise lines and have no "favorite" cruise line.

Any quality resort cruise ship can be my favorite - regardless cruise line name..

However, I don't like low quality products.

I always smile when Costa and MSC presented as "European style" on message boards.

This is not European style. This is nothing more than Costa and MSC "style", i.e. lower quality product.

Those interested in European style please look at SS Normandie, RMS Queen Mary and see what modern ships are closer to that.

So you'll have an idea of "nowadays" European style ships.

I would probably cruise on one of MSC ships in the future. They offer low quality product on board (ship design and everything related to food, let's put entertainment aside), but with a good itinerary and 1/2 price it can be doable.

In the case of this MSC Poesia cruise I was ready to close my eyes on everything but needed at least a good itinerary. The itinerary was not comparable.

Nevertheless, MSC Poesia was a part of our actual cruise.

It was a part of preparations.

We saw Poesia in FLL twice.

We also saw Poesia at sea. (Actually I've had a closer look at many MSC ships 100 times).

And that was an additional positive factor for our actual cruise (Thanks God we are here, not there).

Carnival and RCI?

I rank Carnival product (not far but) above MSC.

The Spirit class is not bad in combination with a good itinerary and price.

Destiny class - mmmm... The best Destiny class derivatives actually sail under Costa flag (Favolosa/Fascinosa).

RCI is a different league.

RCI has modest but beautiful ships (Freedom Class).

Oasis Class - overpriced but unique ships - a must to try.

Enjoy your cruises!

How positively restrained and tactful, even diplomatic.

The best way to express your disagreement when you have nothing factual to say on the matter is to be diplomatic.

As you might have noticed on message boards, some posters carefully avoid answering follow-up questions.

Fair answers will bring discussion close to "unwanted" ship facts.

So if you say to a cruise line fan: look, this ship has no..., no..., no..., no...., the answer will never be on the matter.

The answer will likely to be "how can you evaluate without being there".

If you ask a follow-up question: listen, those are well known facts. Why do I need to be on the ship to know what is already known?

The next answer will be even farer from the topic - anything like "water is wet or the sun is hot", or "What I do feel a bit strange is you posting on a forum of a cruise line...", etc.

In a few words, the favorite scheme is:

Q.: "Why does the ship..."

A.: "Why do you..."

Switch the topic from the ship to the poster, keep the discussion off the facts - a "golden rule" of "diplomatic" discussion.

However, this "diplomacy" is not in line with CC rules.

Many would have simply ridiculed (and rightly so) anyone who pretended to evaluate a cruise ship or line they never experienced.

We are all different (profession, education, interests...)

So our ability of evaluating particular things depends on our level of expertise and experience in particular areas.

2u61zrr.jpg

Cruisetrail, you provide good entertainment value on this forum. So thanks for that. Interesting about the cost of similar cruises. We could have paid virtually the same price to cruise on celebrity reflection, but it visits all the same Ports as our Indy TA the following week, so we decided on Poesia. Cost did not factor n to our decision. I think we will enjoy Poesia. Are you from Europe?

The best way to express your disagreement when you have nothing factual to say on the matter is to be diplomatic.

As you might have noticed on message boards, some posters carefully avoid answering follow-up questions.

Fair answers will bring discussion close to "unwanted" ship facts.

So if you say to a cruise line fan: look, this ship has no..., no..., no..., no...., the answer will never be on the matter.

The answer will likely to be "how can you evaluate without being there".

If you ask a follow-up question: listen, those are well known facts. Why do I need to be on the ship to know what is already known?

The next answer will be even farer from the topic - anything like "water is wet or the sun is hot", or "What I do feel a bit strange is you posting on a forum of a cruise line...", etc.

In a few words, the favorite scheme is:

Q.: "Why does the ship..."

A.: "Why do you..."

Switch the topic from the ship to the poster, keep the discussion off the facts - a "golden rule" of "diplomatic" discussion.

However, this "diplomacy" is not in line with CC rules.

We are all different (profession, education, interests...)

So our ability of evaluating particular things depends on our level of expertise and experience in particular areas.

2u61zrr.jpg

Archived