Just off Poesia - The good and not so good

2910car

GoldenBony ... you cannot walk around the promenade deck because we have not got one ... :eek:

I knew it!!! :eek: i just had this filling I should not book my next cruise on Divina!!! :eek: Its getting even worst because i don't remember if any of ships I cruised had promenade deck....I guess HAL Nooradam has one ... we were so bored there that we start walking around):p:p

Enjoy your cruise! Your kids will have a blast and of course the kids free is a bonus. That's what got us onto our first MSC cruise but we have been on two more since so must be we like it.

I think your complaint about the breakfast service is spot on, it will be interesting to see the answer.

I knew it!!! :eek: i just had this filling I should not book my next cruise on Divina!!! :eek: Its getting even worst because i don't remember if any of ships I cruised had promenade deck....I guess HAL Nooradam has one ... we were so bored there that we start walking around):p:p

There are a lot of very interesting areas on HAL ships like the Explorations Cafe, which incorporates a library, Internet center, coffee bar and a music listening venue, the Culinary Arts center classes, the Digital workshop, and lots of other enrichment activities, does none of that interest you?

There are a lot of very interesting areas on HAL ships like the Explorations Cafe, which incorporates a library, Internet center, coffee bar and a music listening venue, the Culinary Arts center classes, the Digital workshop, and lots of other enrichment activities, does none of that interest you?

Only exploration cafe and library are of interest to me (not that I must have them either), I think it's personal preference.

So long as I do not jump to a conclusion that this particular cruise ship is a low end product if it does not possess certain of my highly personal preferred choices/facilities.

I cruised twice on HAL and next time will be in 25 years . Yes,I love food on Hal ,and sevice is fine but I need some fun and action . Digital workshop may be interesting for 75 years old not for us and to seat in library at sea...sorry I can do it at home .

We have never had time for that on HAL ships (we cruise on Signature class ships).

I cruised twice on HAL and next time will be in 25 years . Yes,I love food on Hal ,and sevice is fine but I need some fun and action . Digital workshop may be interesting for 75 years old not for us and to seat in library at sea...sorry I can do it at home .

Interesting that you reject HAL for it's enrichment programs but prefer MSC for it's Fun & Action, I wouldn't consider it to offer much in either category or for children programs compared to RCCL and CCL.

I don't take part in too many on board activities, I really cruise for the ports, but I like a nice library on the sea days.

I don't gamble that much, but we go the Vegas a couple times a year and live close to lots of beaches for sunbathing so the sea days by the pool don't interest me.

I've never partaken in many of those programs offered on HAL either, but they are known for having a large variety of activities. They do seem to shut down about 10pm in the bars, so If you want the party It's probably the wrong line.

Just wondering why you were bored, I think I was most bored for two back to back sea days on NCL on the Baltic cruise, REALLY nothing for me to do.

We have never had time for that on HAL ships (we cruise on Signature class ships).

I'm usually too busy too, but I have noticed they offer a lot of enrichment activities, so I was wondering how they got bored.

The port speakers are pretty good, give a little history of each port.

Can you recall any of the dinners that you liked? Also, what is available to snack on after 10pm? What is the smoking policy on board?

Food is very limited after 11:00pm. Pizza is stopped at midnight and only sandwiches and fruit offered.

I'm usually too busy too, but I have noticed they offer a lot of enrichment activities, so I was wondering how they got bored.

The port speakers are pretty good, give a little history of each port.

We are physically active and focus on spa & fitness, sun & pools, great food and romance of sea travel on a comfortable ship.

No booze, no gambling.

The Signature class ships is a choice # 2 (# 1 Cunard is too expensive :().

We care less about co-travelers (old or young, smokers, party animals).

We focus on what a ship has to offer.

So MSC is our last choice (competing with Costa).

We are physically active and focus on spa & fitness, sun & pools, great food and romance of sea travel on a comfortable ship.

No booze, no gambling.

The Signature class ships is a choice # 2 (# 1 Cunard is too expensive :().

We care less about co-travelers (old or young, smokers, party animals).

We focus on what a ship has to offer.

So MSC is our last choice (competing with Costa).

I particularly like HAL for the food, enforcing the dress codes in the MDR and respectful shipmates.

I'm no prude by any means, and we would rather NOT "play dress up" because that is our ordinary work wear but we do appreciate no ball caps or flip flops in the MDR. When in Rome as they say.

Not big drinkers, not big gamblers, we go to Vegas on business and I've seen enough of Atlantic City to last a lifetime, and I sure don't need to crawl in a bottle to have a good time, but I'll have a few every now and then.

I've found the shipmates to be more respectful of their fellow passengers, not too many drunken spring breakers, running & screaming unattended children or the shoving, pushy types that thrust their faux pas upon us all.

We are very active too, fortunate enough to live in an area where we can comfortably engage in outdoor activities year round.

To me, and what I try to get across on this board is that you can get a much better cruise (IMHO) for about the same price as MSC, if the interests are the same. It's obvious some on here find MSC very appealing, and lines like HAL not so much, and that's ok.

Problem for me is finding a HAL ship going where I want to go. I wish they had one home ported in San Juan for example.

Interesting that you reject HAL for it's enrichment programs but prefer MSC for it's Fun & Action, I wouldn't consider it to offer much in either category or for children programs compared to RCCL and CCL.

I don't take part in too many on board activities, I really cruise for the ports, but I like a nice library on the sea days.

I don't gamble that much, but we go the Vegas a couple times a year and live close to lots of beaches for sunbathing so the sea days by the pool don't interest me.

I've never partaken in many of those programs offered on HAL either, but they are known for having a large variety of activities. They do seem to shut down about 10pm in the bars, so If you want the party It's probably the wrong line.

Just wondering why you were bored, I think I was most bored for two back to back sea days on NCL on the Baltic cruise, REALLY nothing for me to do.

Yes, they do ,if you are 70 ,you will love activites on HAL. I am talking about night life ,not ports time . On HAL 9p.m you can go to sleep ,worked fine with us when our baby was small :). CCL to loud and to many drunks to our taste .

Yes, they do ,if you are 70 ,you will love activites on HAL. I am talking about night life ,not ports time . On HAL 9p.m you can go to sleep ,worked fine with us when our baby was small :). CCL to loud and to many drunks to our taste .

Interesting reason for choosing a cruise line.:)

Heh!

Evening shows start at 10 pm, the latest - 11 pm.

We do early seatings in MDR and specialties to have time for the show (8 pm) and spa (until 10pm).

Add a cup of tea and a tour around the ship - "go to sleep" is never earlier than 10:30 - 11:00 pm.

We never spend our precious and limited cruise time on "night life". We have enough night life on land.

When I turn 70 I will probably think about night life on a ship.

Morning is a golden time on a cruise - the best time to get the most of sea travel.

Heh!

Evening shows start at 10 pm, the latest - 11 pm.

We do early seatings in MDR and specialties to have time for the show (8 pm) and spa (until 10pm).

Add a cup of tea and a tour around the ship - "go to sleep" is never earlier than 10:30 - 11:00 pm.

We never spend our precious and limited cruise time on "night life". We have enough night life on land.

When I turn 70 I will probably think about night life on a ship.

Morning is a golden time on a cruise - the best time to get the most of sea travel.

That how we started conversation )from tour around the ship because nothing else to do on HAL after 9.p.m ) If you can afford to go to SPA every day ,good for you , I can't plus I go to SPA once a week at home. Best part of cruising that all lines are different .

You are not listening.

An exmple:

Evening show - Theatre - 10 pm

Queen's Lounge - Nothing But The Blues - 9 pm - 12 mn

Ocean Bar - Darcy & The HALCats - 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm

Piano Bar - 9 pm - until close

Explorer's Lounge - Adagio - 9 pm - 11 pm

Crow's Nest - The Vocal Arrangements - 9pm - 10 pm

Nothern Lights - Name That Tune - 9 pm, Disco Fever 11 pm

Eurodam Art Collection - 24/7

Silk Den Bar - 5pm - 12 mn

Seaview Bar - 9pm - 12 mn

Explorations Cafe & Library - 7 am - 10:30 pm

We take a tour to see what is going on on the ship.

There is a lot.

But we don't stay late because we prefer morning time on a cruise.

Went on the Poesia a few weeks back with another family who are Celebrity snobs :D

We all had a fantastic time, the ship has to be the cleanest ship sailing the Caribbean, I did not see a speck of rust anywhere on the outside unlike all the others. The older Carnival ships look particularly sad.

Shows are stunning, food was a bit hit and miss, Italian night was the best food I have ever had, period, stake Diane on another night was awful.

MSC really need some American input to help them out over here with customer service issues but they have a good starting point, they certainly know how to run a clean ship and generally do alot of things refreshingly different and right in my book.

Completely agree! We were on the Poesia from March 2 - 9 (Western Caribbean) and had an amazing time, couldn't have asked for better. I posted a mini-review on another thread but just wanted to chime in about the ship itself. I've been on 2 other cruises, different lines, and the ships did not compare to the Poesia! The cleanliness, the decor, the cabin, etc. etc. was far superior!

We were part of the Holistic Holiday at Sea (vegan) group so I can't speak for the regular dinners, but we ate at the buffet on several occasions w/o complaint.

There is no midnight buffet per se but we stopped by there around midnight once and they were serving pizza, fruit, sandwiches, and desserts, perfect for a late night snack.

Would someone please tell me what brand of soft drinks are offered on MSC? My mother will be sailing at the beginning of April and she is trying to find out if they sell Coke or Pepsi? She drinks diet coke and is trying to determine whether she wants to order the beverage package or not.

mom2tcdx2, I just got off the MSC Poesia and can confirm that they have coke products.

Well, I promised you all that I'd check in after our cruise. While I'm still working on my review, I will say that someone on this thread was SOOOOOO misinformed, and was glad to spread their misinformation to whomever would read. Those of you who have been part of the thread, you certainly know what I am referring to. I'll cut to the chase:

there IS a walk-around promenade deck!!!!!!!!!!

I had to laugh out loud and my DW wondered what was so funny. When I shared it with her, she had to laugh as well.

As I said before our cruise, how can you rate something you haven't experienced? For us, the walk all the way around the ship was quite enjoyable.

Review coming tomorrow in a separate thread. It isn't bad but it isn't pretty either.

Well, I promised you all that I'd check in after our cruise. While I'm still working on my review, I will say that someone on this thread was SOOOOOO misinformed, and was glad to spread their misinformation to whomever would read. Those of you who have been part of the thread, you certainly know what I am referring to. I'll cut to the chase:

I had to laugh out loud and my DW wondered what was so funny. When I shared it with her, she had to laugh as well.

As I said before our cruise, how can you rate something you haven't experienced? For us, the walk all the way around the ship was quite enjoyable.

Review coming tomorrow in a separate thread. It isn't bad but it isn't pretty either.

Looking forward to your review.

I've been on the Poesia twice and sister ship Orchestra and did not find the walk-around promenade deck. I walked around the bow on deck 7 but at the stern there is a bar. Was there a door to go through?

Instead we just walked through the ship, past the elevators out the other door and were able to complete the loop.

I'm really looking forward to your review!

You are not listening.

An exmple:

Evening show - Theatre - 10 pm

Queen's Lounge - Nothing But The Blues - 9 pm - 12 mn

Ocean Bar - Darcy & The HALCats - 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm

Piano Bar - 9 pm - until close

Explorer's Lounge - Adagio - 9 pm - 11 pm

Crow's Nest - The Vocal Arrangements - 9pm - 10 pm

Nothern Lights - Name That Tune - 9 pm, Disco Fever 11 pm

Eurodam Art Collection - 24/7

Silk Den Bar - 5pm - 12 mn

Seaview Bar - 9pm - 12 mn

Explorations Cafe & Library - 7 am - 10:30 pm

We take a tour to see what is going on on the ship.

There is a lot.

But we don't stay late because we prefer morning time on a cruise.

I am not listening:cool:? I never said bars are closed ,I said HAL boring after 9 p.m. whole ship goes to sleep :p

papcx .... so far we have booked the bus via MSC from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam, we were going to go on the flying boat but the bus service from close to the terminal to it seems a bit hit an miss at the minute which is a shame as it only takes 30 minutes to get to Amsterdam.

We were hoping to do the Flamm railway but there were only about 100 seats left and as there are supposed to be 1 other ship there with us it could well be a mad scramble to get 2 of those seats, we will be moored and the other 1 will be tendering in.

Stavanger and Oslo we have not decided as yet.

http://www.strollingguides.co.uk/books/netherlands/places/ijmuiden.php

We are No 60 on the list as KAI (moored) and Ryndam Anker(Anchor)

http://aurlandhavn.no/cruise-2/ship-arrivals-2013/

Put our date into the calendar and go to step 2 where it will show any available seats and the train times.

http://www.flambooking.com/booking.aspx

Well, after reading his threads where he is putting down S class of Celebrity, future Royal Princess etc, and constantly comparing them to "real ocean liners" (HAL & Queen Mary II) I have no doubts... Please take all of it with a grain of salt. :)

Wonderful pictures, but ....

Archived