Just off Poesia - The good and not so good

2910car

We are all different (profession, education, interests...)

So our ability of evaluating particular things depends on our level of expertise and experience in particular areas.

I guess this is all I need to know.

I like to meet new people on cruise, so the anticipated passenger mix is important to me in preparing my cruise.

I am glad you didn't choose MSC.

How can I know - general experience and specific information.

It's not a problem for an experienced cruiser.

Think about your doctor. Does he have to cut a patient in pieces to give him a diagnosis? No.

You can do it yourself.

Here is a basic "preliminary assessment chart" for comparison.

Please choose Yes or No.

WOW! Now I am totally confused. Your "preliminary assessment chart" can only be completed AFTER you've been on the cruise, so how can you answer many of your own assessment questions when you haven't been on the ship to begin with? It doesn't matter how many cruises you've been on, if you've never been on a ship or sailed with a company, you simply cannot make a judgement call.

I'll be honest, I used to be a Carnival basher, going along with the reputation that many people said the line suffers from (too many partiers, too wild, blah blah blah). Still, I decided to try them for myself and, huzzah, I actually had a great time! I felt embarrassed by the many times I would jump on the bandwagon and say that the lines sucks even though I had never been on ONE Carnival cruise. Now, even though they are not my first choice, I would still consider them when choosing a cruise based on a surprisingly GREAT experience.

Another example: one look at the RC Oasis-class and I knew that we HAD to sail one of them. End result? It was just ok for us. Didn't like it as much as I thought I would, yet we are glad that we at least experienced the ship. Would we do another one? Sure but we're not in any hurry.

You are making a judgement by pure speculation and not judging by using many of your own assessment questions with personal experience. In doing so, you do two things: you tarnish a brand's name with opinion and not fact, and you remove a choice of cruiseline that just might surprise you and add to your choices of cruising fare. You actually use the words "lower quality product" in describing MSC and yet you've never experienced an MSC cruise to even be able to make such a statement! Really???? Expertise has nothing to do with anything, and as for judging based on experience, how can you?

I've done a cruise on MSC so I feel that I can offer my personal judgements based on experience. We did not enjoy our first time with them, but for this upcoming cruise (a charter), we'll give them another chance.

Finally, as to your judgement about the ship itself, I can only base my experience on the Orchestra. She was one of the most beautiful ships that we have ever been on. You are WAY off base there.

It's truly a shame that you let other opinions do the decision making for you. Hey, I was there once myself. So glad I'm not anymore. It's opened up more opportunities for us.

WOW! Now I am totally confused. Your "preliminary assessment chart" can only be completed AFTER you've been on the cruise, so how can you answer many of your own assessment questions when you haven't been on the ship to begin with?

What a strange question.:confused:

Don't you research a product you are going to buy (videocamera, house, car, vacation tour...) before you buy it?

Don't you choose a good cabin on a ship?

Don't you study deck plans?

Don't you gather information about your future ship?

Don't you read reviews, see photos, watch videos of your future ship?

Don't you plan your cruise (what days are formal nights, booking specialty restaurants, shows if necessary...) ?

These questions are as easy as 123 - is it available or not ?

How was it (good / bad) you'll tell us when you return.

But before the cruise, any wise cruiser must do a research.

After all, this is what Cruise Critic is for... :)

Caribbean Cruise

Itinerary

Number of ports -

Number of private islands -

Design

Wrap-around Promenade - Yes or No

Front open observation Deck - Yes or No

Aft open observation Deck - Yes or No

Separate aft pool area for adults - Yes or No

Serene sun deck - Yes or No

Additional sun deck - Yes or No

Sports court - Yes or No

Observation lounge - Yes or No

Spa

Hydropool & Thermal Suite - Yes or No

Dining

Selection of alternative dining venues included in the price - Yes or No

Afternoon tea proper service - Yes or No

Fresh juce for breakfast - Yes or No

Selection of specialty dining venues - Yes or No

Dinner in buffet - Yes or No

Lunch on private islands - Yes or No

Entertainment

Main stage - Yes or No

Other main stages - Yes or No

Small stage - Yes or No

Live music performances on the main stage - Yes or No

Live music performances on the small stage - Yes or No

Live music in loungers - Yes or No

Statistics

Number of passengers -

Gross tonnage -

Years in operation -

Some not included things considered "Yes" by definition. No questions needed.

Thanks to 2910CAR for this neutral but short report.

I hope, the day will come, when you can afford more than a lowcost-product.;) But you better buy a Douglas Ward to be prepared. ;)

I am glad too that someone didn't choose MSC. I feel, we don´t get common cruisers on a table having fun. :rolleyes:

This list is a joke, but maybe it works for you.

But to say, MSC is lowcost because this ship has no wrap-around-promenade is the same a getting allways a cold on QE in their windy corridors.

Or when they have formal night, Tuesday or Wednesday? Is that really important for my holiday? For yours? Really?

I see people walking to their TA: "hello, does that ship has a wrap-around-promenade? NO. Oh, do you have another, its too low-cost."

With all that list, the experience, the deckplan and a Douglas Ward in the luggage around the world. Ok. That works for you. But is it a good advice for others? What about the MS Astor or MS Europa. Their stage is a joke against some MSC theater. Is it a lowcose product?

Is a ship with a climbing wall no lowcost product, because it cruises to a private island? Where shall MSC buy an island in Europe?? And why?

Sorry for not beeing diplomatic as a swiss-german.

I do not agree with your "List". And it is not a realistic advice for others.

Noone has a better holiday if he has a wrap-around-Promenade for a week or not. Think about lots of great ships and lines you will miss.

For what do i need a second and third stage, when the show is a mess? Or no entertainment.

Because others like Dinner at Captains-Table in Tuxedo, and feel wrong on an MSC-Ship. Yes, thats maybe the wrong ship, i unterstand that, but is it a bad product ? No. It is subjective, personal like only.

Is QE now a bad or lowcost product because of getting a cold? (i have to put it on my list... ;) ) and Fantasia, with only 16 points (D.W.) lower than QM Brittania Class....is lowcost? Sure? Ever paid a YachtClub Cabin?

You might have find your personal No. 1 Ship. Its in your list. But let others find out their way to a more relaxed holiday and lots of ships and cruiselines.

Don't you research a product you are going to buy (videocamera, house, car, vacation tour...) before you buy it?

Sure I do. But after I've made a choice between say a Kindle and an iPad mini I don't go to the forum of the one I didn't choose and post smack about it. Especially if I've had no experience of using the product. That's just rude. :D

Sure I do. But after I've made a choice between say a Kindle and an iPad mini I don't go to the forum of the one I didn't choose and post smack about it. Especially if I've had no experience of using the product. That's just rude. :D

Oh, you are not right. Sorry. He has:

- a signature telling he had been on MSC.

- he "knew the itinerary. "

- he " knew the ship (but a few details) so I was able to play all 7 days of the cruise in my mind like a video."

- general experience and specific information.

- the basic preliminary assessment chart

and he is an experienced cruiser.

I am sure he has also a Douglas Ward.

Ok, stop here Tom, i really will not do bashing on Cruisetrail, but i do not agree with his statements. There is no argument to say that the product is bad or lowcost. Only a personal list of likes and dislikes. (i have to go now to the Transocean and P/O and NCL and Cunard-Forum to post about their mess.....;))

Thanks to 2910CAR for this neutral but short report.

I hope, the day will come, when you can afford more than a lowcost-product.;) But you better buy a Douglas Ward to be prepared. ;)

I am glad too that someone didn't choose MSC. I feel, we don´t get common cruisers on a table having fun. :rolleyes:

This list is a joke, but maybe it works for you.

But to say, MSC is lowcost because this ship has no wrap-around-promenade is the same a getting allways a cold on QE in their windy corridors.

Or when they have formal night, Tuesday or Wednesday? Is that really important for my holiday? For yours? Really?

I see people walking to their TA: "hello, does that ship has a wrap-around-promenade? NO. Oh, do you have another, its too low-cost."

With all that list, the experience, the deckplan and a Douglas Ward in the luggage around the world. Ok. That works for you. But is it a good advice for others? What about the MS Astor or MS Europa. Their stage is a joke against some MSC theater. Is it a lowcose product?

Is a ship with a climbing wall no lowcost product, because it cruises to a private island? Where shall MSC buy an island in Europe?? And why?

Sorry for not beeing diplomatic as a swiss-german.

I do not agree with your "List". And it is not a realistic advice for others.

Noone has a better holiday if he has a wrap-around-Promenade for a week or not. Think about lots of great ships and lines you will miss.

For what do i need a second and third stage, when the show is a mess? Or no entertainment.

Because others like Dinner at Captains-Table in Tuxedo, and feel wrong on an MSC-Ship. Yes, thats maybe the wrong ship, i unterstand that, but is it a bad product ? No. It is subjective, personal like only.

Is QE now a bad or lowcost product because of getting a cold? (i have to put it on my list... ;) ) and Fantasia, with only 16 points (D.W.) lower than QM Brittania Class....is lowcost? Sure? Ever paid a YachtClub Cabin?

You might have find your personal No. 1 Ship. Its in your list. But let others find out their way to a more relaxed holiday and lots of ships and cruiselines.

You took the words out of my mouth Tom. Can't for the life of me understand shay a wrap around promenade or it's absence makes or breaks a holiday. .....and Islands in the Med tend to be already owned as Sovereign states! Really fed up with this same list being posted in so many threads...it's getting a bit old now.

I will never take anything from anywhere.... but I feel or say, the "List" is not really helpful.

But to say MSC is general "lowcost", that is a statement!

The day will come, in the new MSC Class Supership with 2 wrap-around-promenades and 5 big stages, with more D.W. points than the MS Europa, where we meet....

I've just come up with an excellent idea for our friend cruisetrail!

We should start a cruise line that asks customers what they want on their ship, how long the cruise should be and where it ports.

Then BUILD the ship and do the cruise.

Every question will be a yes, and everyone will be happy.

I have to agree it is pretty odd to "review" a cruise you did not take, LOL

as for the "list">> some of that stuff is not important to me at all...I could care less about a sports court or "proper" tea for instance

As for private islands....it is funny but I went to CoCo Cay on MSC...yes they had a barbq lunch provided, and sold drinks at the bars, pay with your msc sign and sail, they put their own staff on the island same way royal does

In Nov our 3 night Divina cruise will call on Great Stirrup Cay (been there with NCL)..and yes, MSC will do the same there

It is all really subjective....for some of us, a cheaper cruise means more $$ to spend on the islands or for extras.

MSC has it's faults : as evidenced by the lack of info provided by the customer service people in Fort Lauderdale (coke vs pepsi LOL). "Organization", website usibility and customer service precruise are not their strong suit for sure

However, once you are onboard you can probably have a good time ...I have and I plan to have a good time on my upcoming cruise.

But to say, MSC is lowcost because this ship has no wrap-around-promenade ...

Wrap-around promenade?

Is there anything else in this list other than promenade deck?:)

Caribbean Cruise

Itinerary

Number of ports -

Design

Sports court - Yes or No

Spa

Dining

Entertainment

Main stage - Yes or No

Small stage - Yes or No

Statistics

Number of passengers -

Gross tonnage -

Years in operation -

Happy cruising!

Well they have lots of music in the lounges, in the main atrium

different duos and bands in the lounges, a latin band and more

Most of the other duo/bands sing in English in Carribean

They have a really nice steam room , huge, tiled, and a sauna on Poesia

2 whirlpools in the spa area and a spa bar...all are free when in the Caribbean

It seems that Divina has an adults only area (maybe for more $$) I will find out in November

Yes they do have some specialty dining...and more on the newer ships I guess. Not really my thing, I like the main dining room

One nice thing on their newest ships is the "safe return to port" feature

Divina and ? Prezioa have that....ie, dual engine rooms,backup systems that mean they could return to the nearest safe port at 1/2 speed with all systems workable ....NO "Triumph"/Splendor mess for them

In fact MSC was the only cruiseline to really address this agenda with cruise critic.

Are they perfect? I don't think any of them are perfect. I don't work for any of the cruiselines and I am not really "loyal" to any of them. I won't say anything about Celebrity since I never sailed on them. I was not fond of my one Royal cruise however....I feel it is not worht the extra money. I was quickly bored by the crowded kid-centric parades in the "mall"

I also felt that the $$ goes to teens and kids having fun, since I don't sail with teens or kids I could really care less about rock walls, skating, and so forth.

btw...where are you from?? Your writing is not that of a native English speaker?? if so you should be happy on msc as they cater to many languages LOL

Wrap-around promenade?

Is there anything else in this list other than promenade deck?:)

Caribbean Cruise

Itinerary

Number of ports -

Design

Sports court - Yes or No

Spa

Dining

Entertainment

Main stage - Yes or No

Small stage - Yes or No

Statistics

Number of passengers -

Gross tonnage -

Years in operation -

Happy cruising!

Absolutely, but research doesn't tell you everything about the product. It might have every feature you want and you might still not like it.

Don't you choose a good cabin on a ship?

Balcony. 'nuff said. Next?

Don't you study deck plans?
only to make sure my cabin isn't right by the entrance to the elevators, otherwise, nope, I don't care. I'm on a cruise!

Don't you gather information about your future ship?
Why? Itinerary is the most important choice to me, but we have occasionally chosen a ship just to check out the ship. Can't judge it if we haven't EXPERIENCED it for ourselves!

Don't you read reviews, see photos, watch videos of your future ship?
Yes, but it more serves to get me excited about the upcoming journey rather than sway my decision.

Don't you plan your cruise (what days are formal nights, booking specialty restaurants, shows if necessary...)
Since the dailies aren't available in advance, it's kind of hard to do in-depth planning. Why should I care what days are formal nights? I've got my tux so I'm ready for anything. As for specialty restaurants, we'll check out the menu but for the most part, we'll just say yes and pick and choose. Again, that doesn't make or break our cruise.

But before the cruise, any wise cruiser must do a research.

After all, this is what Cruise Critic is for... :)

Again we agree, but why should my single experience or yours or anyone else's dictate whether you or anyone else might or might not have a good time? Honestly, it shouldn't! You know what they say about opinions, that's just what they are. I won't let anyone dictate whether I might like something or not just by their word. They might look for things that I don't look for or like and vice versa.

It's kind of like two people I work with: one guy LOVES Princess and cruises them most often. Fine for him, and we have sailed with them ourselves, but they are not our first choice. Another person I work with is an NCL fanatic. For us, NCL is not the product we choose very often. We like formal nights where they have optional formal nights. Now, if I would have listened to him and booked solely on his word, we would have been greatly disappointed.

I guess this all stems from your criticism of a ship/product that you YOURSELF have not experienced. How can you bash them when you haven't experienced it for yourself? Research is only part of the equation.

I'll weigh in on my critique once I have returned from actually being on board and experiencing the ship/line for myself. Should it make a difference with anyone's decision of whether to book with MSC or not? Absolutely not!

OK, I'm done. Happy sailings to all, especially cruising-tom. You can sit with us at our table any time.

Oh, and for the record...

Itinerary

Number of ports - VERY IMPORTANT

Number of private islands - Don't care. We don't like private islands but it doesn't make or break us.

Design (none of these are remotely important to us)

Sports court - Yes or No

Spa

Dining (none of these are that important to us either)

Entertainment

Main stage - Yes or No

Small stage - Yes or No

Statistics

Number of passengers - who cares?

Gross tonnage - ditto

Years in operation - sadly, we missed out on the Norway, as she surely was a glorious old ship. age of ship doesn't mean that much to us either.

As you can see, the only big item to us is the itinerary. We're actually looking to book with Louis Cruises to do Greece again as they specialize in the Greek islands. They only have smaller older ships, but we don't care. It's the itinerary. Conversely, we haven't done the NCL Epic yet and we do want to check her out regardless of the reviews pro or con. See what I mean? Different strokes...

OK, I'm done. Happy sailings to all, especially cruising-tom. You can sit with us at our table any time

@jt1120

Christine & Joe, it is our honor and great pleasure to travel with guests like u are. (and some others. :)) The "nice" guests are a part of a pleasant and great voyage on see.

WE should also invite VABeach to our Table.

Just last week we invited a couple from Florida being with us on the Lirica in Monaco. W´re excited.

And i am happy to tell here later about that little, older (lowcostblingblinglowendmassmarketfullofdrunks)-Ship

But....the bashing-stream continued at another location here.....better you do not look. It´s senseless.

Absolutely, but research doesn't tell you everything about the product. It might have every feature you want and you might still not like it.

Balcony. 'nuff said. Next?

only to make sure my cabin isn't right by the entrance to the elevators, otherwise, nope, I don't care. I'm on a cruise!

Why? Itinerary is the most important choice to me, but we have occasionally chosen a ship just to check out the ship. Can't judge it if we haven't EXPERIENCED it for ourselves!

Yes, but it more serves to get me excited about the upcoming journey rather than sway my decision.

Since the dailies aren't available in advance, it's kind of hard to do in-depth planning. Why should I care what days are formal nights? I've got my tux so I'm ready for anything. As for specialty restaurants, we'll check out the menu but for the most part, we'll just say yes and pick and choose. Again, that doesn't make or break our cruise.

Again we agree, but why should my single experience or yours or anyone else's dictate whether you or anyone else might or might not have a good time? Honestly, it shouldn't! You know what they say about opinions, that's just what they are. I won't let anyone dictate whether I might like something or not just by their word. They might look for things that I don't look for or like and vice versa.

It's kind of like two people I work with: one guy LOVES Princess and cruises them most often. Fine for him, and we have sailed with them ourselves, but they are not our first choice. Another person I work with is an NCL fanatic. For us, NCL is not the product we choose very often. We like formal nights where they have optional formal nights. Now, if I would have listened to him and booked solely on his word, we would have been greatly disappointed.

I guess this all stems from your criticism of a ship/product that you YOURSELF have not experienced. How can you bash them when you haven't experienced it for yourself? Research is only part of the equation.

I'll weigh in on my critique once I have returned from actually being on board and experiencing the ship/line for myself. Should it make a difference with anyone's decision of whether to book with MSC or not? Absolutely not!

OK, I'm done. Happy sailings to all, especially cruising-tom. You can sit with us at our table any time.

Bravo!!! :p

Bravo!!! :p

Gee, I feel like Elvis. "Thank you, thank you very much."

Even though I have not yet consulted my new tablemates cruising-tom, and VABeach, you, Goldenbonny, may also dine at our table. We seem to be building quite a nice table. Maybe someday we can make it happen!

Maybe someday we can make it happen!

For us to come is a little bit difficult cause i do not fly. And its not so easy to get a europe-caribean-europe cruise. st.gif

But you are welcome to a Trip through europe, whenever you like, let us know to guide or help. Same is guilty for a holiday in switzerland. cheer.gif

Cruisers will allways meet twice. The world is just a village. Newer know. We are open mind for that.

Gee, I feel like Elvis. "Thank you, thank you very much."

Even though I have not yet consulted my new tablemates cruising-tom, and VABeach, you, Goldenbonny, may also dine at our table. We seem to be building quite a nice table. Maybe someday we can make it happen!

I am in :p cheers! just dont make me walk around promenade deck LOL

I am in :p cheers! just dont make me walk around promenade deck LOL

I have had some laugh out loud moments reading this thread, and it has certainly NOT put me off my forthcoming 'virgin' cruise on MSC Poesia, indeed I would love to be at that dinner table with the rest of you. So thanks for the laughs, and a wee quote I came across somewhere else that seems apt here:

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.

Maya xx

I almost did not post because I was afraid the non-Poesia cruiser would post his little survey, YET AGAIN. Anyways, our daughters, very well behaved at seven and eleven are joining us on this trip. I have to say the kids cruising for free was a big draw for us. They are just as excited as we are and pretentious "experts" annoy them as much as it does us. I was hoping there was some way we could see the band, "YES" on our voyage, but alas MSC has said it is a lost cause. Are there special passes that will be checked for the "Cruise to the Edge" concerts?

Thanks so much!

I almost did not post because I was afraid the non-Poesia cruiser would post his little survey, YET AGAIN. Anyways, our daughters, very well behaved at seven and eleven are joining us on this trip. I have to say the kids cruising for free was a big draw for us. They are just as excited as we are and pretentious "experts" annoy them as much as it does us. I was hoping there was some way we could see the band, "YES" on our voyage, but alas MSC has said it is a lost cause. Are there special passes that will be checked for the "Cruise to the Edge" concerts?

Thanks so much!

Enjoy your cruise! Your kids will have a blast and of course the kids free is a bonus. That's what got us onto our first MSC cruise but we have been on two more since so must be we like it.

Archived