Spa~Please quit trying to sell me product

CruiseWhere

Is it me or does anyone else out there become constantly tired of when you're finished a spa treatment they are ALWAYS trying to sell me product:mad:. Last cruise when they did...(I lied) and said that I already had that particular product....this get better...she explains that she has another product that is new and of course, worthwhile for me to try. I quite politely said no and here comes the chutzpah of her...she asks if I can't afford it!!!!:eek: Are you kidding me is what I wanted to say. Instead I told her that I wasn't interested!!!!!!!!!!! How sad that her rudeness ate up a good portion of her tip. Any other suggestions out there:confused:

We did the Thermal Suite on our recent Ryndam cruise, until it was closed on the 3rd day because of Noro, but we enjoyed it....no hard sell there. But I know what you mean, that sales pitch is as bad as the vendors in Santo Tomas de Castil1la and Costa Maya. Maybe the Steiner crew took lessons from them!

While I admit that was in poor taste to say something about if you could afford it but I guess I look at what they do differently than others. First I have gone to many high end Spas on Land, here in Vegas and one of my favorite is the Grand Wailea in Hawaii on Maui. ALL of them sell their products or should I say recommend their products ;) First those working for Steiner on the ship are a lot like our Favorite Beverage Server on the cruise they do not make a whole lot in the way of salary. Their income is mostly from tips and a small percentage from the procedure they did for you. The largest junk of income comes from the commission of products they sell. Some are very good at selling while others find selling difficult and even a bit hard to do since for a few English is not their first language so to go into a selling a product I could imagine the words may not always come out like they want.

I have bought Elemis products in the past but not always. I have found that if I tell them about the time they bring the glass of water into the treatment room and start up with the selling pitch. I just state I have quite a bit of product at home and don't think I will be needing any more right now. That ends it. I have never actually had one try to do a hard sell. I do think that they have monthly goals and it is possible they were really close to meeting the goal so tried a bit too hard. I have to say that while they are selling something good it is not a easy sale especially with the price point. I just chalk it up to them doing their job :)

I quit getting spa treatments awhile ago. I used to all the time, but the hard sell took away all my relaxation. I do the thermal suite also every cruise though as I love the relaxation. It's a shame as they could make good money on me if I would just get my treatment.

I quit getting spa treatments awhile ago. I used to all the time, but the hard sell took away all my relaxation. I do the thermal suite also every cruise though as I love the relaxation. It's a shame as they could make good money on me if I would just get my treatment.

I'm with you...the hassle of getting a treatment and then listening to their sales pitch negates the relaxation. My dear MIL, at my encouragement, went for a foot massage advertised for $39 and spent $140+/- after a sales pitch by the technician. :eek: I had neglected to warn her of this practice. We had a good laugh, but never again.:(

I haven't been to a ship spa in quite a while, but when they used to start with me I'd say "I'm sorry, I'm Canadian, so the exchange rate makes it too expensive" :) Since few onboard know what the exchange rate is, it would probably still work.

I had a massage on the Eurodam a few weeks ago and there was no sales push; no product was even mentioned. Maybe somebody made a note on my record since I previously have said "no thank you, I am not interested". :D

While I admit that was in poor taste to say something about if you could afford it but I guess I look at what they do differently than others. First I have gone to many high end Spas on Land, here in Vegas and one of my favorite is the Grand Wailea in Hawaii on Maui. ALL of them sell their products or should I say recommend their products ;) First those working for Steiner on the ship are a lot like our Favorite Beverage Server on the cruise they do not make a whole lot in the way of salary. Their income is mostly from tips and a small percentage from the procedure they did for you. The largest junk of income comes from the commission of products they sell. Some are very good at selling while others find selling difficult and even a bit hard to do since for a few English is not their first language so to go into a selling a product I could imagine the words may not always come out like they want.

I have bought Elemis products in the past but not always. I have found that if I tell them about the time they bring the glass of water into the treatment room and start up with the selling pitch. I just state I have quite a bit of product at home and don't think I will be needing any more right now. That ends it. I have never actually had one try to do a hard sell. I do think that they have monthly goals and it is possible they were really close to meeting the goal so tried a bit too hard. I have to say that while they are selling something good it is not a easy sale especially with the price point. I just chalk it up to them doing their job :)

I agree Lisa, they are just doing their job. I know some are pushier then others. They can make it difficult on passengers who just want the one service without all the product sales.

A couple of cruises ago we were taking a get acquainted walking tour of the ship and got to the spa. Obviously they were trying to get us to book treatments but they were also pushing their products. We walked out and never went back.

Since I have to have a nail fill every two weeks I am forced to use their services on longer cruises. What annoys me no end is the medical questionnaire that they want me to fill out. They don't get more than my name and cabin number from me as I refuse to list my medical history for Steiner. It's a nail fill, for goodness sake, not major surgery. They never insist after I refuse the information. I suspect they want the information to give them suggestions as to what products they can target a person with.

I find the sales pitch quite annoying ( haven't yet been in HAL , just Celebrity , RCI and Carnival) . I now check off that I feel great and have no health/aesthetic concerns( ha!) and make a note that I do not want products on my form.

On land , never have had a sales pitch , all of the time is used for the treatment !! Much nicer!!

What annoys me no end is the medical questionnaire that they want me to fill out. They don't get more than my name and cabin number from me as I refuse to list my medical history for Steiner. I suspect they want the information to give them suggestions as to what products they can target a person with.

Sapper1 - you couldn't be more right. I "won" two spa treatments on our first HAL cruise from draws at sail away. I don't think I won anything after what I went through. They used that information on the form to target their sales pitch and it was very uncomfortable for me and I will never go to the spa for treatments again. It felt like psycological blackmail to the point I had to bring DH to the spay to say "NO". They just kept making appointments for me to retun (with $ penalty to me if I missed the appointment) and I was missing the point of the whole cruise - to see the glaciers in Alaska. At one point I was told (as I was sitting in the middle of the hallway being grilled about my physical exercise and weight - I could see a glacier go by in the gym mirror and I was told "oh that is just a glacier...we see them every week, no big deal...pay attention to what I am telling you".

The second free treatment I won I was told, after the treatment, that I owed them $75!:eek: I said I won it. She told me she made the calls to the stateroom and she never said it was free. I replied then why was I not corrected when I checked in and said I was there to get the foot and leg treatment that I won? She went to speak to the manager and returned, very unhappy that she would "give it to me this time" but I was breaking the rules.....

I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

I may check out the thermal suite, but will never do a spa treatment again. If I wanted that level of hassle I would stay at work and not take a vacation!:p:p

This kind of annoying behavior is everywhere these days. I had a nationally known carpet steam cleaning company come to my house to steam clean a sofa and two chairs and they made a complete nuisance of themselves the whole time they were here trying to sell me on other not-needed cleaning services and even rubber mats for the front porch. I couldn't wait to get them out of my house. I sounded like a parrot saying "No--No--No" .............

Sapper1 - you couldn't be more right. I "won" two spa treatments on our first HAL cruise from draws at sail away. I don't think I won anything after what I went through. They used that information on the form to target their sales pitch and it was very uncomfortable for me and I will never go to the spa for treatments again. It felt like psycological blackmail to the point I had to bring DH to the spay to say "NO". They just kept making appointments for me to retun (with $ penalty to me if I missed the appointment) and I was missing the point of the whole cruise - to see the glaciers in Alaska. At one point I was told (as I was sitting in the middle of the hallway being grilled about my physical exercise and weight - I could see a glacier go by in the gym mirror and I was told "oh that is just a glacier...we see them every week, no big deal...pay attention to what I am telling you".

The second free treatment I won I was told, after the treatment, that I owed them $75!:eek: I said I won it. She told me she made the calls to the stateroom and she never said it was free. I replied then why was I not corrected when I checked in and said I was there to get the foot and leg treatment that I won? She went to speak to the manager and returned, very unhappy that she would "give it to me this time" but I was breaking the rules.....

I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

I may check out the thermal suite, but will never do a spa treatment again. If I wanted that level of hassle I would stay at work and not take a vacation!:p:p

That is simply outrageous. Thanks for the warning about "free" spa prizes.

I find the sales pitch quite annoying ( haven't yet been in HAL , just Celebrity , RCI and Carnival) . I now check off that I feel great and have no health/aesthetic concerns( ha!) and make a note that I do not want products on my form.

On land , never have had a sales pitch , all of the time is used for the treatment !! Much nicer!!

What a great idea to make note on the form in advance!! I think I shall do that from now on.....thanks!!

I just HAVE to share this. I was checking into the Spa once, at the same time as an adorable little lady, in the 95 year old range. As she was led down the hallway, she said in a very loud voice "and you might as well know right now, I'm not buying any of that crap you sell". It cracked me up, but I was impressed when the Steiner Girl actually told her that was fine - her only job was to make her feel good.

Archived