Spa~Please quit trying to sell me product

CruiseWhere

On my last Westerdam cruise, I received a flyer advertsing a discounted rate for the Thermal Suite for those staying on board the following week. At the spa, I was directed to a young woman with a clipboard, who was handling "those passengers." She confirmed that the discounted rate was $100 (as opposed to the regular $150) and added my name to the list.

2 days later, during a periodic check of my onboard account, I saw that I had been charged $150. The front desk got nowhere on the phone trying to deal with this, so I took the flyer (which was still in my cabin) up to the spa and dealt with it myself, politely but firmly. The young woman there (who had directed me to the woman with the clipboard) insisted she had never heard of such an offer and I had to be mistaken, until I produced the flyer. The adjustment was made to my account by the following morning.

I always advise friends to check their onboard account from time to time during the cruise as mistakes and misbillings can happen and it is better to catch it sooner rather than later, but I would especially recommend it for anyone using the spa.

I was intending to book the Thermal Suite for the second (less port intensive) week anyway and would have been fine with $150 in the first place, so for me it is not about the money.......it is about the ethics.

Kate

I think this is a real fault of the on board spa. A treatment is meant to be quiet and relaxing, not a sales pitch. However, my mum did once tell them that the product was too expensive for her, and was offered a great deal. They offered her free treatments to the value of the product she purchased ..... so might be worth telling them you can't afford it!

What a great idea to make note on the form in advance!! I think I shall do that from now on.....thanks!!

Now I am wondering whether perhaps I did the same before my last massage; sea air does affect the brain too, I think. :D

I think this is a real fault of the on board spa. A treatment is meant to be quiet and relaxing, not a sales pitch.

I had a pretty bad experience during a massage (I think Feb 2012): mid-massage there was a alarm/announcement made regarding a drill for some crew - none of it related to the spa or anything/anyone near it. It kinda killed the relaxing atmosphere.

Spa services are not owned or run by HAL. They are run, just like the stores, by an outside entity. The outside entity pays HAL for the spa space and also for cabins, in the crew area, and food. That is why the Spa personnel can eat in the Lido.

Learning to sell products is even part of cosmetology academic training - part of their retail trade development as future business operators along with the obvious inducements offered by the product manufactures themselves to become the exclusive product supplier for that particular salon.

Yes, I too have found a simple no either at the time or upfront to be sufficient. I don't like the practice, but now expect it and take preventive action up front to avoid this unwelcome sales pressure tactic.

I myself have found very competent and well-priced salon services on HAL ships and was sorry I did not make an early enough appointment on our last cruise to get my usual hair-highlighing done that I have now gotten done on all our past cruises. Book early if you want a salon service is the lesson I learned.

Thanks for the heads up on some of these practices. I have had some nice pedicures at the spa, but I avoid their other treatments because of the extreme hard sell.

One massage therapist wrote me a "prescription" for a creme to help me lose weight and get rid of "all the cellulite you are carrying." I had not indicated any interest in this. (Particularly since I have a gastric disease that causes weight loss.) Yikes.

Last year on the Noordam, the woman giving out the spa leaflets as we boarded the ship was LICKING her fingers as she passed out each brochure. Seems pretty counter intuitive to the anti-Norovirus measures. I mentioned this on my comment card, but perhaps I should have addressed Steiner directly?

If I was to have a spa treatment and was asked if I couldn't afford a product they were pushing, I would tell them I had to borrow the money for the treatment. No tip!

Do you also stiff the waiters and cabin steward if they gave you suggestions?

I am afraid that any staff member who had the audacity to mock me by suggesting I wasn't buying something because I couldn't afford it, would not be getting a tip from me. Insults do not warrant a tip.

Gosh, I am worried reading these posts. I intended to use the Spa on my cruise in May but am being a bit put off, I hate hard sell and in the case of a massage, it can completely ruin the relaxation you've gained.

Do you think it would be appropriate to say very clearly before the treatment starts that you won't be buying any products so there is no point in the staff mentioning them. Then, at the end, if they do try a hard sell just say 'sorry, you lost your tip'? If that doesn't put them off, then the doors are opened for plan B - a rude response that may include an expletive! .

Gosh, I am worried reading these posts. I intended to use the Spa on my cruise in May but am being a bit put off, I hate hard sell and in the case of a massage, it can completely ruin the relaxation you've gained.

Do you think it would be appropriate to say very clearly before the treatment starts that you won't be buying any products so there is no point in the staff mentioning them. Then, at the end, if they do try a hard sell just say 'sorry, you lost your tip'? If that doesn't put them off, then the doors are opened for plan B - a rude response that may include an expletive! .

It has been my experience, at least with the nail techs, that if I say firmly that I do not wish to buy any products when they make the first overture, they do back off. We then have pleasant conversation during the session and I give them a cash tip.

If I were to experience continued harassment there would be no tip. I think I would be inclined to say why as well.

It's entirely appropriate that the Steiner rep make an initial offer to discuss the lotions & potions they have to sell. However, as soon as the paying passenger says "No, thank you", that should put an end to it. For the rep to continue, or move to a hard sell, is out of line.

At that point, I agree that it would be fine to reduce/eliminate a tip, and be sure to let the rep know why. How else will they know the consequences of the unwanted behavior?

I am afraid that any staff member who had the audacity to mock me by suggesting I wasn't buying something because I couldn't afford it, would not be getting a tip from me. Insults do not warrant a tip.

Agree. You did the right thing. No reason for anyone else to read anything more into this perfectly appropriate decision.

Agree. You did the right thing. No reason for anyone else to read anything more into this perfectly appropriate decision.

I wasn't the person reporting the insult. I was posting in support of the poster who did experience the problem. However, nice to see you support her too.

Insinuation that someone couldn't afford something you are hawking is NOT offering a suggestion, it is rude. :rolleyes:

Insinuation that someone couldn't afford something you are hawking is NOT offering a suggestion, it is rude. :rolleyes:

I suppose if the cabin steward insinuated we could not afford a "better cabin" I would take offense with that too and act accordingly. But I can not imagine that ever happening. If the comment occurred as the OP stated, it was well beyond the bounds of appropriate staff interaction with a passenger -- who is paying for the privilege of that staff member to be working there in the first place.

The one advantage of "ripening" :D... is I am long past being intimidated by a sales pitch( I actually find most of them a little comical )...bless their hearts I know they need to make a living...but a sales person speculating on my financial situation, that's a pitch too far.:)

I would look her straight in the eye and say " How very astute of you my dear, that's exactly right I can't afford it ,I am afraid the sorry state of my finances will be reflected in my tip." Then smiling sweetly I would say."Any free samples" ;)

Just an aside ..gal I work with told me a couple she and her husband traveled with...the wife spent $5000.00 at the spa ..went almost everyday..How glad they must have been to she her coming.:)

Is it me or does anyone else out there become constantly tired of when you're finished a spa treatment they are ALWAYS trying to sell me product:mad:. Last cruise when they did...(I lied) and said that I already had that particular product....this get better...she explains that she has another product that is new and of course, worthwhile for me to try. I quite politely said no and here comes the chutzpah of her...she asks if I can't afford it!!!!:eek: Are you kidding me is what I wanted to say. Instead I told her that I wasn't interested!!!!!!!!!!! How sad that her rudeness ate up a good portion of her tip. Any other suggestions out there:confused:

WOW--she was incredibly rude and I would have told her that she just lost her tip.

I generally tell them that I use a different line of products and while I enjoyed the treatment, I'm not interesting in making any purchases, thanks. It's polite but firm and final.

One of the reasons many people avoid the spa. They are on vacation and don't need the high pressure sales pitches from the Steiner Staff.

I'm guessing they are paid a healthy commission for product they sell.

The one advantage of "ripening" :D... is I am long past being intimidated by a sales pitch( I actually find most of them a little comical )...bless their hearts I know they need to make a living...but a sales person speculating on my financial situation, that's a pitch too far.:)

I would look her straight in the eye and say " How very astute of you my dear, that's exactly right I can't afford it ,I am afraid the sorry state of my finances will be reflected in my tip." Then smiling sweetly I would say."Any free samples" ;)

<snip>

I SO, SO, SO love this!!!! :D

Excellent. :)

Just an aside ..gal I work with told me a couple she and her husband traveled with...the wife spent $5000.00 at the spa ..went almost everyday..How glad they must have been to she her coming.:)

You are just too dam good.:D I absolutely LOVE this:D

I just HAVE to share this. I was checking into the Spa once, at the same time as an adorable little lady, in the 95 year old range. As she was led down the hallway, she said in a very loud voice "and you might as well know right now, I'm not buying any of that crap you sell". It cracked me up, but I was impressed when the Steiner Girl actually told her that was fine - her only job was to make her feel good.

That is too funny:D.

I have experienced the hard sell... and "spa-ing" is a special cruise treat I allow myself. On our last cruise I told the girl as she started her pitch that I much prefer to spend my money on treatments rather than product - she offered a discount and I booked another treatment. A win-win in my book!

Archived