Religious Services onboard

tgetz

Thank you so much for your kind words. The times that I've served as a Protestant Guest Minister I have been truly blessed by the experience and have enjoyed it ... even when I've had to deal with injuries or deaths aboard ship. The most amazing thing I've ever gotten to do as Chaplain on HAL is the baptism of a child on the bridge of the Noordam in 2011.

Greetings RevNeal! I still hope that one day we will be on the same cruise and I will get to attend one of your services. So far no luck. I remember when you told the story of baptizing the child on the bridge.

I would also like to say how much I appreciate the pastors that have traveled on my cruises and offered services. I have been cruising a lot during the holidays and two years ago on the Celebrity Equinox I looked up to see that the pastor leading our service was someone I knew. He had been the pastor on my Panama Canal Christmas cruise on the Rotterdam.

I followed that particular cruise with an even longer one to Hawaii/Tahiti.

For that cruise we had a retired Baptist minister from Canada who also offered a bible study that was held on our sea days (there were a lot of them) which was very well attended. Again that was much appreciated.

I will be on board a ship for this Christmas and hope that there will be a pastor to lead us in worship. I think worshiping with a diverse group of Christians at sea is a very special experience.

St. Louis Sal

Saturday evening Mass is generally not "requested by the passengers", whether or not they like to sleep in.

Saturday evening is the Sunday Vigil, and is a standard time for that Mass, whether it's a port day or a sea day.

ok - did not know that as not what the priest told us on the wc last year.

• 2 years later...
AM or PM Catholic mass depends on whether or not the ship is in port that day. Sea days it was at 8AM, 5 PM port days during a 7 day Caribbean cruise. Only read there was Catholic mass and Jewish Shabbat.

Forums

Last month on the Koningsdam experienced the same thing for Catholic Mass, regardless of the day of the week - 8 am on Sea days, 5 PM on Port days. I was told by the ship's Priest that this is always the case.

Holland America ships always have a daily Catholic Mass, usually 8 AM on port days, 5 PM on sea days. Saturday Vigil Mass is at 5 PM. The Catholic priest often would also offer an interdenominational service on Sunday. Week day Mass in the Hudson room or other smaller venue. The Vigil Mass in the Queens Lounge, because of the larger crowd. My son sailed on 4 or 5 HAL cruises as the resident priest.:)

The Vigil Mass in the Queens Lounge, because of the larger crowd.

Unfortunately, the Vigil Mass isn't always held in a larger venue to handle the crowds. I have been there when it was held in the combined Hudson/Half Moon Room, and we were jammed in like sardines.

If we had been jammed like that in a land venue, it would have violated some fire laws. It was disgraceful on HAL's part, and since this continued four weeks in a row, it was even worse. There was a problem and HAL did not correct it.

... My son sailed on 4 or 5 HAL cruises as the resident priest.:)

SonnekeH, Special thanks to your son for serving as the Cruise Ship Priest on so many HAL cruises - I hope he will continue to do so for many, many years to come.

Through its Cruise Ship Priest Program,The Apostleship of the Seas USA provides Roman Catholic priests for all HAL cruises. To insure that we will continue to have this wonderful cruising experience, I urge all CCers who value this service to (1) contribute generously to AOS (http://www.aos-usa.org/); and (2) let HAL know that you are grateful for the Cruise Ship Priest Program and continue to choose HAL because of it.

Smooth sailing ...

Thank you so much for your kind words. The times that I've served as a Protestant Guest Minister I have been truly blessed by the experience and have enjoyed it ... even when I've had to deal with injuries or deaths aboard ship. The most amazing thing I've ever gotten to do as Chaplain on HAL is the baptism of a child on the bridge of the Noordam in 2011.

Greg: You have done something I have never done!

g

Edited by Himself

Last September I was cruising the Med. No priest on board, but was able to get to Mass for four times. I bit of research before and I was set. First at the port of embarkation, Southampton. Next Lisbon followed by Civitavecchia. Day after the cruise, London. Worked out perfectly. Great way to plan a cruise port. Find the cathedral, usually times at every hour and then find a great restaurant to relax for the afternoon!

This from the mouth of a Catholic Priest. If the ship is in port all day on a Sunday, there is a Mass at 5:00 PM. There would be a Protestant service afterward, I believe. If one embarks on a Sunday, I do not believe there is a Protestant Service but there will be Mass at 5PM. The Jewish Service is on Friday and it is led by a Jewish Person. If the ship is at Sea on Sunday, the Catholic Mass is at 8:00 AM and the non-Catholic Christian service is at 9:00 AM. If there is no Minister on Board then the Priest will do the Interdemoninal Christian Service. I have done this on many occassions and I have gotten nothing but affirmation from the non-Catholic Guests who have come to the Service. I hope this answers your questions.

Thank, this has been our experience. On the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings, there was a Protestant minister who did frequent services. On a shorter one, we've enjoyed the Interdenominal one conducted by a very pleasant priest. I'm wondering if it was you!

While we have traveled many times on HAL, i have never availed myself of the religious services. I do remember seeing some listed, however. My next cruise a friend of mine is going with us - her first cruise ever- and she is debating about booking a shore excursion on a Sunday wondering if there will be a service in the morning. I looked back on some old day planners and see that sometimes they list a nondenominational service lead by the congregation in the morning on a sunday, sometimes not. I know you guys know everything about HAL so.....I know there is an ocassional Catholic communion, and a Friay Jewish service, but what is the policy.. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Your friend might check the churches in the port city. She might find it culturally interesting as well as spiritual.

I do not wish to enter into a theological debate on Cruise Critic. In general I consider politics and religion to be off-limits when aboard ship or when discussing cruising. However, in this case it might be nice if one were to not make pronouncements about the theological beliefs of others.

While it is true that attendance at the Eucharist isn't considered a "Holy Obligation" for Protestants, there are many of us who do indeed believe that the Eucharist is both an effective means of grace and a participation in the Real Presence of Jesus. There are many of us who terribly miss receiving the Eucharist when we're on cruises, that's part of the reason why HAL requests that Protestant Guest Ministers offer the Sacrament on Sundays. Sadly, far too many Protestant Guest Ministers will refuse to do so.

While it is true that a nominal Protestant service with prayer, scripture, and sermon is very different from a Mass, that is not necessarily the case when the Protestant service includes the Eucharist ... as can only happen when a Protestant Guest Minister is aboard or when a clergy person on vacation agrees to preside.

Thank you.

I just happen to read up on this topic a few months ago.

?According to the Code of Canon Law, receiving communion in a Protestant church is generally not permissible. According to canon 844, “Catholic ministers may licitly administer the sacraments to Catholic members of the Christian faithful only and, likewise, the latter may licitly receive the sacraments only from Catholic ministers.” The key term here is licit. If a Catholic receives communion from a Protestant minister, it is generally considered “illicit” or unlawful."

Stephen

There is canon law, and then there is everyday practice. I've only once in my life had a priest actually ask if I was a Roman Catholic and he refused communion to all who were not (this was a wedding party so he met with all of us the night before). I have occasionally heard a priest say just before communion that all Catholics are welcome, implying that others were not without actually saying it. For the most part, however, it doesn't come up. I've never heard a priest offering mass on a HAL ship say anything at all about it.

Back in the '60's when my mother worked at our local parish rectory, two of the resident priests insisted she come to communion (she was an Anglican Catholic, not Roman) while the other two refused her. This in the same parish, the same rectory. At the Catholic university I attended no one ever asked our affiliation, I think they were just glad we showed up.

So, based on my experiences throughout my life (and on knowing several priests fairly well) I've always thought about this like a "fielder's choice". The priest decides how strictly he is going to follow the canons (although probably influenced by his immediate superiors).

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know what the current status is for the inter-denomination Guest Minister Program? I have not received any posting requests for this year.

It is my understanding that HAL only provides Protestant clergy for the Christmas and Easter holidays. The rest of the year, unless there are any ministers or lay people on board who come forward voluntarily to conduct services, there is nothing available during the week. The Catholic priest on board will offer an inter-denominational service on Sunday, in addition to Sunday mass.

Edited to add that the Grand and World Voyages may provide Protestant clergy throughout their itineraries. I am not conversant with the protocol for those cruises.

It is my understanding that HAL only provides Protestant clergy for the Christmas and Easter holidays. The rest of the year, unless there are any ministers or lay people on board who come forward voluntarily to conduct services, there is nothing available during the week. The Catholic priest on board will offer an inter-denominational service on Sunday, in addition to Sunday mass.

Thank you.

Edited to add that the Grand and World Voyages may provide Protestant clergy throughout their itineraries. I am not conversant with the protocol for those cruises.

On WC17 there were HAL provided Catholic, Protestant and Jewish clergy the entire cruise for the passengers. Rumor was that there was an Islam Imam but only for the crew.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do we find out if Protestant Clergy will be on board? We'll be on Koningsdam on Palm Sunday - 3/25/18. (DH wasn't too happy with me when I told him.) He is a retired Lutheran Pastor and would be very happy to lead a service that day if one isn't already planned. It might be a little late to check on this but thought I'd ask anyway.

How do we find out if Protestant Clergy will be on board? We'll be on Koningsdam on Palm Sunday - 3/25/18. (DH wasn't too happy with me when I told him.) He is a retired Lutheran Pastor and would be very happy to lead a service that day if one isn't already planned. It might be a little late to check on this but thought I'd ask anyway.

There is always an interdenominational service. It might have to be led by one of the passengers or the priest may offer to do it.

I don't know if there is a way to find out ahead of time - it depends on those on board.

I believe Protestant clergy is only on now for Grand and World cruises, but there can be exceptions.

What you could do is contact HAL (go to the HAL website and choose contact and use the email facility under "currently booked") and offer your DH's services or contact Shipboard services. Just a thought.

I was disappointed on this past Christmas/New Year's cruise aboard the Zaandam--22 days--there was no Protestant Minister. Nor was there a Rabbi. The first Sunday, the Priest conducted a brief Interdenominational service. (He seemed not to realize that he had been expected to do so). On other Sundays, a guest who was not a Minister, retired or active, conducted the service. It just was not the same as having a Minister.