Not happy with Breakaways New Item

Cruisegirl6

Lyndamar. I'm sure if it's an issue you can discuss it with the hotel director. They want guests to be happy. I doubt you will get much info until people start cruising on the ship. If the way this works is a deal breaker for you I might suggest waiting to book until you find out how this all works.

This reminds me of the Epic a bit with people worrying about things a month before anyone set foot on it.

Not a deal breaker there are ways around it my other half thought of a few things lol. He even knows how to open the balcony dividers without the key lol.

Your right I will just wait and see from passengers that get off of her worse case when I get into stateroom I crank the ac as low as possible Im sure it get cool in no time. Just curious how it works thats all.

what about leaving my iphone/ipad on charge and coming back to see it's not charged at all?

Most chargers draw very, very little current and actually shut off once the device is charged. I highly doubt they would turn off power outlets, including chargers, fridge, etc. What if someone on a cpap machine is taking a nap?

People need to stop worrying about this, IMO. While not everything follows the "common sense" rule, most things do. Think about it. The main power draws will be lighting and A/C. Turning these things off or down when not needed will save a lot of power. They're not going to let the rooms get hot because customers would be miserable and complain, which is even worse than being power inefficient. They're not going to turn of fridges and outlets for the same reason. If you like having a little light to greet you when you go into your room, take a little LED or something with you. However, the switch will be next to the door and it'll take you about 1 second to turn your lights on.

Not a deal breaker there are ways around it my other half thought of a few things lol. He even knows how to open the balcony dividers without the key lol.

That is extremely dangerous, and someone can get slammed in the middle of them if they are open when the ship is moving. They are locked for a reason. The steward will open them upon request while the ship is in port.

If I recall, Epic had something similar, you had to have your keycard in a slot for the lights and a/c to work. Granted it was in January, but we were in the eastern Caribbean, and I don't remember the room ever being uncomfortably warm. It would make the most sense for the master system to maintain a temp of 76 or 78, and when you're in your cabin you can make it cooler if you want.

Sissasmome- In Florida the cabin stewards immediately open the balcony doors when asked, I also know the ships from the NE there is a rule that balcony doors not be open unless maybe when in port only. My father in law always has the balcony next to us, so we always open the doors. Yes, the cabin steward will open them if its allowed, but on our last cruise we asked and he didn't do that so my other half opened it himself so we can speak to dad out on the balcony that morning and have coffee together.

There are legit ways of tricking the system into thinking that somebody is in the cabin...I not going to mention here as its not nice for me to do, but if you think how to keep something moving in the cabin the system think somebody is there.....hint.

I not loosing sleep on this it is what it is, it be nice to come into the cabin upon coming back in the heat from an island and being able to cool down fast. I bet the system is set to a certain temperature to turn on when it hits a certain temperature such as 79.

Most chargers draw very, very little current and actually shut off once the device is charged. I highly doubt they would turn off power outlets, including chargers, fridge, etc. What if someone on a cpap machine is taking a nap?

People need to stop worrying about this, IMO. While not everything follows the "common sense" rule, most things do. Think about it. The main power draws will be lighting and A/C. Turning these things off or down when not needed will save a lot of power. They're not going to let the rooms get hot because customers would be miserable and complain, which is even worse than being power inefficient. They're not going to turn of fridges and outlets for the same reason. If you like having a little light to greet you when you go into your room, take a little LED or something with you. However, the switch will be next to the door and it'll take you about 1 second to turn your lights on.

Mike...If you doubt that they will turn off the power, what do you suppose they meant when they said that the system could remotely turn off the air conditioning, lighting, and power? There has to be some meaning behind the term "power". I simply thought it was an odd term to use without defining exactly what they meant by it. It has to refer to something.

I wouldn't worry about a person on a CPAP taking a nap...the system only turns things off when the cabin is empty. If somebody is napping, then the cabin isn't empty and all of the power will be operational.

If I recall, Epic had something similar, you had to have your keycard in a slot for the lights and a/c to work. Granted it was in January, but we were in the eastern Caribbean, and I don't remember the room ever being uncomfortably warm. It would make the most sense for the master system to maintain a temp of 76 or 78, and when you're in your cabin you can make it cooler if you want.

I did not see this on the Epic, but heard that it was the case in some of the suites etc. I think there was someone on the forums who mentioned that they put a business card or other item in the slot when out of the room. The person posting said it worked.

Let's take another look at NCL's wording:

Norwegian Breakaway includes an advanced remote control system for the staterooms. This system allows for power, air conditioning and lighting to be switched off remotely when guests are not in their staterooms.

It states that the system allows for the power to be switched off remotely. That doesn't necessarily mean that they will choose to do so as the norm. It's simply a feature of the system that they could use if circumstances required it.

Personally, I'm not too worried about this new feature.

If a person sleeps all still how does it know somebody is in the room? I not a technical person can somebody explain this to me?

I'm kind of wondering this too. Of course, I toss and turn like crazy, so my AC will stay on :)

I think the key card in the slot is the way to go for energy conservation (though not to the extent of turning off outlets and the mini-fridge like someone described an Egytptian hotel...)

allows for

I do agree with you here. It is probably no cause for concern. My electric company can apparently turn off my A/C through my thermostat at peak times for a certain amount of time- I have never ever noticed it happen.

NCL making a statement the word allows means to me it will happen

Ok..now I understand why this bothers you so much. Most of us do not jump to that conclusion.

Seriously..why would they do something that upsets their guests, like turning off their power or letting it get hot in their rooms? It violates the rules of common sense and customer service. They're clearly not stupid. They are touting the fact that the Breakaway is "green". Having the ability to manage things like lights, power and A/C doesn't mean they're going to be stupid about it.

Want my guess? My guess is that the ship, in general, will be kept at a comfortable temperature as it is now. However, if you're not in your room, their settings will override yours. Plugs and outlets will stay powered so your drinks are cold and your ipads are charged. There will be a default setting where your lights all turn off if you're not in the room, but there may be a way to override this (like with the cards on the Epic). Also, my guess is that the A/C will be shut off in your room if it senses that your balcony door is open for more than a few minutes straight.

That's my guess, but I'd lay $10 on being right

I totally agree on the ac should be shut when a person has their balcony door open, honestly, that just kill the ac unit, not know why people would do this but I know they do.

If the room is kept at comfortable temperature which to me be just ok as I like it during the day on 73 does that mean my setting will kick in when I enter the room automatically?

I do agree that lights should be turned off when exiting cabin.

Sdmike I hope your right, that is fair.

If the room is kept at comfortable temperature which to me be just ok as I like it during the day on 73 does that mean my setting will kick in when I enter the room automatically?

There's no way for any of us to know this. My bet is that they haven't even decided exactly how they will do this yet, and we won't know until people start sailing her

NCL making a statement the word allows means to me it will happen

I am not at all sure how you can consider that "NCL making a statement." What you quoted from your source is simply press release information regarding the environmentally friendly features of the Breakaway.

Quite frankly I think you are going a bit overboard (no pun intended) worrying about something like this. You have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots (yeah, a LOT) of questions about the Breakaway, which is understandable, but to be fair, no one can truly answer most of your questions yet, because the ship has not sailed with any guests. When people try to answer, you demand more info that nobody has yet, or you demand clarification from NCL. I can assure you that NCL is not going to offer you any kind of clarification regarding what this system will or will not do. Why? Because it is totally unnecessary, and they have far more important things to worry about then whether or not you as one individual will be pleased or displeased with the power-saving features of your stateroom on a ship that is still at the shipyard.

Please, take two or three hundred deep breaths, then check out all of the factual information you can find about the ports you will be visiting, and focus all of your planning efforts on the ports, until some folks have had a chance to sail the Breakaway and start posting their reviews. At that point, folks will actually be able to factually answer your many questions. ;)

Lastly, for what it's worth, the system that will be on the Breakaway will not be operated by motion sensors of any kind, so it will not matter how soundly someone is sleeping, the a/c will still be pumping out cool air while they are in the room. :)

I personally obviously don't know, but if NCL is touting "state of the art," I would presume that there's an infrared detector as well as a motion detector to tell that someone is in the room. That would both take care of someone sleeping motionlessly and defeat the balloon measure. (If one thinks about it, they'd want to defeat the balloon thing, because they'd like to sell celebratory packages and still have their neat electronics work....)

I know that my Nest thermostat in my house has both, so it's certainly possible.

Waldospepper it is also stated on the NCL website

http://www.breakaway.ncl.com/latest/press-releases/norwegian-breakaway-continues-innovation-with-technological-advances/view/2013-03-06

They need to elaborate what they mean by turning off ac be more detailed so we can understand what that means more clearly.

I have focused on the ports I know exactly what I am doing and seeing, good advice but already done it lol

Your right, I have lots of questions can't wait till we get to start reading the reviews. One thing I find odd is how come they just not make public the Ocean Blu menu, next week the first sailing passengers will be able to make their reservations for the specialty dining and entertainment, I not understand why they not make the menu to this restaurant public so that people can plan accordingly.

I wish I understood technical, mechanical things, when I read such things it just brings on alot of unanswered questions to me.

Nemini the balloon idea would work I guess lol lol too funny better yet I can bring a small battery operated teddy bear that dances thats movement hehehehe just kidding folks.

I am not at all sure how you can consider that "NCL making a statement." What you quoted from your source is simply press release information regarding the environmentally friendly features of the Breakaway.

Quite frankly I think you are going a bit overboard (no pun intended) worrying about something like this. You have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots (yeah, a LOT) of questions about the Breakaway, which is understandable, but to be fair, no one can truly answer most of your questions yet, because the ship has not sailed with any guests. When people try to answer, you demand more info that nobody has yet, or you demand clarification from NCL. I can assure you that NCL is not going to offer you any kind of clarification regarding what this system will or will not do. Why? Because it is totally unnecessary, and they have far more important things to worry about then whether or not you as one individual will be pleased or displeased with the power-saving features of your stateroom on a ship that is still at the shipyard.

Please, take two or three hundred deep breaths, then check out all of the factual information you can find about the ports you will be visiting, and focus all of your planning efforts on the ports, until some folks have had a chance to sail the Breakaway and start posting their reviews. At that point, folks will actually be able to factually answer your many questions. ;)

Lastly, for what it's worth, the system that will be on the Breakaway will not be operated by motion sensors of any kind, so it will not matter how soundly someone is sleeping, the a/c will still be pumping out cool air while they are in the room. :)

My thoughts exactly.

I'm sure this will turn out to be a non-issue.

They need to elaborate what they mean by turning off ac be more detailed so we can understand what that means more clearly.

You seem to be obsessing about this. You're not going to get an answer until people start sailing on the ship. I think you're just frustrating yourself.

Archived