Not happy with Breakaways New Item

Cruisegirl6

I know nothing of NCL as I have only cruised on Carnival. I am lurking in these forum's though, trying to decide if I should have a shot at NCL. Only having Carnival to judge by, im wondering if I should bring my family on a NCL cruise for comparison.

That being said, I work in construction as a Project Manager. In modern offices/facility's there is something on the ceiling called a "Proximity Sensor" and it looks like a fire alarm. (although some new ones are combined with a fire alarm). What it does is "test" occupancy on a pre-programmed schedule.

Lets say that Mrs. Officeworker sits at her desk all day, answering phones, hiring/firing people and surfing Cruise Critic. Her office has 6 overhead florescent fixtures with 4 bulbs each. She gets up and goes to the restroom and is back in approx 5 minutes. (I know, not possible... but humor me for this illustration) After 6 minutes, 2 bulbs from each of those fixtures will shut off. If no more movement is detected in the next 2-4 minutes then the remaining lights/bulbs will shut off.

If however, Mrs. Officeworker hears about Mr. Employee being late coming back from lunch once again, as she storms into her office to draw up termination papers, all 6 fixtures will turn back on as she enters her office. If Mrs. Officeworker decides that she needs to leave early after her bathroom break, all lights will turn off until the following day when she returns.

Environmental systems (heat/AC/air exchange) work in the same way. The ship may have rooms set for a 15 minute delay - with a pre-set temp that it will not drop below or above, to conserve energy. It takes MORE energy to recover a room and bring it back to cooling/heating temp, when left to "go ambient or neutral" then to only rise it a few degree's with a proximity sensor. Based on what im reading here and the complaints Im seeing, I feel this is whats going on. That's why someone posted to use the balloon by the door. The movement of the balloon "tricks" the sensor over periods of time to "think" that someone is still in the room.

I hope I didnt add to the confusion....:o

Norwegian Breakaway includes an advanced remote control system for the staterooms. This system allows for power, air conditioning and lighting to be switched off remotely when guests are not in their staterooms.

I not happy going into my stateroom and having a hot room, what is up with this, and will we be able to control the temperature in our stateroom?

I'm wondering if it's the same set up as the Epic, If so take an expired cc or and past cruise key card and just leave it in the slot all the time.

I had a feeling this would get folks' undies in a twist... As I said (in post #3 I think) - Let's wait and see; no one knows any details of NCL's new system yet. Unlike the hotels that use this system for one night stays, as someone said, NCL has a stake in keeping long term guests happy. I'm sure this " green" system has lots of parameters sooooo - Let's wait and see!

I called NCL up and got this nice lady who put me on hold to get info. She says that when you enter the stateroom with your key the ac will know to kick on...my question to her was what if both of us enter with using only one key and one of us lies down to take a nap and lies still and the other leaves the room how does it know that somebody is still in the room sleeping....she then says there should be a motion sensor, well gladly I toss and turn alot lol, but at least I got a bit of understanding now of what this system does. She also stated that she didn't THINK that it would get hot it probably would reach a certain temperature and turn on to cool to a certain temperature that NCL sets it to.

I called NCL up and got this nice lady who put me on hold to get info. She says that when you enter the stateroom with your key the ac will know to kick on...my question to her was what if both of us enter with using only one key and one of us lies down to take a nap and lies still and the other leaves the room how does it know that somebody is still in the room sleeping....she then says there should be a motion sensor, well gladly I toss and turn alot lol, but at least I got a bit of understanding now of what this system does. She also stated that she didn't THINK that it would get hot it probably would reach a certain temperature and turn on to cool to a certain temperature that NCL sets it to.

:eek:

I called NCL up and got this nice lady who put me on hold to get info.

I hate to say this (since I'm a huge NCL fan) but I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, surprise, confusion or a combination thereof by calling NCL. No one in Customer Service will have an exact, accurate answer to your questions because it's all supposition. You cannot assume that they are being given up-to-date, accurate information by the technical staff or whoever will eventually make the decisions as to how this new green system will work. I say this because over the years, they have repeatedly given out inconsistent, misleading and sometimes downright inaccurate information just to try to satisfy a customer's queries. Please relax and wait until some CCers sail on the ship and are able to report first-hand how the system works.

At least I not assuming and asked somebody from the company. I very excited to be going on the Breakaway and I have a feeling it be the best ship I have cruised on. I have cruised on 48 cruises so far and a 49th before the Breakaway. The Breakaway offers so much in variety and gives us so many choices regarding the dining and entertainment.

This ac thing is not going to bother me I just trying to understand this system. As long as the ac works when I am in the cabin and keeps it nice and cool this going to be the perfect cruise.

At least I not assuming and asked somebody from the company.

One would love to believe that that's the perfect way to proceed, but it has been demonstrated repeatedly that cruiseline customer service departments (not just NCL's) are notoriously misinformed. It's sad but true that oftentimes CC is a better source for information. This wouldn't be the first instance of someone calling a cruise line, getting told one thing, then finding out that reality doesn't jibe with what they were told. Then, the person comes on CC and angrily denounces the cruise line because of their experience. I'm not saying you will do that; I'm just saying relying on the cruise line for information, especially on something that hasn't happened yet, is shaky at best.

Norwegian Breakaway includes an advanced remote control system for the staterooms. This system allows for power, air conditioning and lighting to be switched off remotely when guests are not in their staterooms.

I not happy going into my stateroom and having a hot room, what is up with this, and will we be able to control the temperature in our stateroom?

Simple - you just need to keep a card in the slot near the door. I use one of those shopping discount cards from CVS etc. This was the same way on the Epic. It is not a big deal.

I am not worried about the system itself, I just keep thinking that there are more things to break. I am sounding old and like my dad. Give me back crank windows and manual door locks... Get rid of the dang engines on the cruise ship and give me sails.

They need to elaborate what they mean by turning off ac be more detailed so we can understand what that means more clearly.

Why is it that you think that Norwegian owes you any explanation whatsoever? They do not, by the way. It is their ship, and they can run it any way they see fit (within the law).

~Intrepid <-- you dont own me.

However, it is common internet knowledge how to defeat, or bypass, the sensor for 24 hours. In addition, you should carry in your checked luggage a small screwdriver as to adjust any manual thermostat you come across. (Yes, I'm serious!)

We keep our home AC set between 65 and 68 degrees in the summer, and expect the same for hotels and staterooms.

Im going to ignore sarcastic comments....

Hunky, I always carry a screw driver, small flashlight, purell

We like it at 74 daytime temp and 73 nighttime, totally understand and agree with you, I expect the same when I go away on cruise or hotel. ;)

This ac thing is not going to bother me I just trying to understand this system.

I think you're well past being bothered and moving on to obsession.

We like it at 74 daytime temp and 73 nighttime, totally understand and agree with you, I expect the same when I go away on cruise or hotel. ;)

I wish NCL would explain this better to us. Let us know exactly what this system does...does the ac totally shut off, or whether it goes to a set temperature, and if the passenger comes back to the room does it automatically go to the temperature that passenger set it or do we physically need to lower the ac everytime we go into the cabin....it be very nice to know these things. They just say the ac turns off and to me that means no ac on at all.

NCL please explain this to us better.

I received this info from legit source cruise radio news I copy: I won't be happy going into a hot room I live in Florida and used to being in cool room all the time especially when I come back to my house...and this case my stateroom

Im not obsessing I like to have answers thats all, I hate the unknown lol

So is it safe to say that you have a full understanding of how the rest of the ships systems operate.

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Cruise Critic in regard to recent technological and environmental advancements on Norwegian Breakaway. We just wanted to clarify these recent enhancements so there is no confusion. The stateroom air conditioning remote control system will only be used when there are a group of cabins not used for a cruise. If this occurs, we can remotely change the temperature to save energy. Therefore, this feature will not affect the temperature of staterooms occupied by guests as these will still be kept cool.

We hope you enjoy the enhancements on board Norwegian Breakaway as we continue to find innovative ways to ensure guest comfort.

Best,

Norwegian Cruise Line Public Relations

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Cruise Critic in regard to recent technological and environmental advancements on Norwegian Breakaway. We just wanted to clarify these recent enhancements so there is no confusion. The stateroom air conditioning remote control system will only be used when there are a group of cabins not used for a cruise. If this occurs, we can remotely change the temperature to save energy. Therefore, this feature will not affect the temperature of staterooms occupied by guests as these will still be kept cool.

We hope you enjoy the enhancements on board Norwegian Breakaway as we continue to find innovative ways to ensure guest comfort.

Best,

Thank you for clarifying this.

Best,

Thank you so much for posting...on this and other recent threads... and as I have said before.."knowledge is power" and having NCL post as needed..surely does stop rumors and needless concern by PAX.

Archived