up & coming new 123 offer not available in UK AGAIN!

dab1952

Just rang my TA. The new 123 offfer (15th March start), she checked with celebrity. Once again not on offer to UK customers. Do they want uk customers to abandon UK TA's and book via American TA's? Is it true that Celebrity wont allow this?

Just rang my TA. The new 123 offfer (15th March start), she checked with celebrity. Once again not on offer to UK customers. Do they want uk customers to abandon UK TA's and book via American TA's? Is it true that Celebrity wont allow this?

No I just had an email from a US wesite saying they could not book our Star Clippers cruise but Celebrity is mentioned as one they can book for UK residents.

There is currently on the UK site an offer free upgrade to balcony, there was a free drinks package not long ago so I assume different offers different locations.

Looking at how the pound is in a nose dive at the moment, I would not be surprised if Celebrity in the UK took the decision to try to keep prices down rather than make this offer available here. If so, at least it gives us in the UK the option of deciding how we spend our money.

Just my thoughts and [for the record] I am not particularly pro-Celebrity at the moment [because of the cancellation of the 2014 transpacific].

Sue

We are about to book our Celebrity cruise on Monday, 11th March. We are waiting for my Partner to get his holiday approved from work - should be approved on Monday.

We got a quote last week from our usual TA she told me 'We are no longer allowed to discount Royal Caribbean & Celebrity'. However, they would offer a small discount of grats or some onboard credit.

We've booked our last six cruises through the same TA. The most recent June 2012. Prior to this trip they have always offered a cruise discount.

I have looked at US sites and got some quote (not this year). Some are not allowed to sell to UK (must have US postal address) customers. The disadvantage is the exchange rate that has always concerned me and I've stayed loyal to our TA, who has always offered us the most competitive price. IMO I think the cruise companies are virtually turning the UK market in to a bit of a cartel set-up but I guess the volume of cruise customers on UK soil compared to US soil is vast.

As it appears confirmed that the 123go promo will not be available, will double check with my TA on Monday, I guess we will just be booking at a premium.

I am off on my first Celebrity cruise this May, and from reading a number of posts am not impressed with the Celebrity business model! If they do not offer similar deals to UK customers let alone discounts, then I will go back to Oceania who don't disappoint. This may well be my first and last cruise with Celebrity. Let's see what the 15 March will bring.

I have looked at US sites and got some quote (not this year). Some are not allowed to sell to UK (must have US postal address) customers.[/Quote]

One wonders why you have to have a US postal address, in this IT age.

I booked direct with Celebrity UK and all documentation has been sent via email.

The' not allowed to discount' since December 2012 explains why the price was + £650 when I tried to cancel and rebook our TA so that I could benefit from the 1-2-3 go offer.

I also would have lost £200 p.p early booking bonus & $150 OBC.

I must admit I thought they had just added the cost of the package to the cruise price.

It looks as though my days of cruising will be over if they don't market reduced cruises, or I will have to wait for very reduced offers,very close to sailing date.

hi, I often book with an american agent had no problems up to now, the prices are most times much better than over here, however my next cruise is looking so so the dollar has dropped quite a lot grrrrrrrrrrrr:D:D

This was the comment I got from my UK PCS earlier this week:

the pricing structure has changed from january for bookings with agents and us , there is supposed to be more clarity now with agents and us pricing the same so we can't offer the levels of onboard credit we used to to make up the difference

Next years cruises on Eclipse are very similar to this years, looks like we will be looking for a different cruise line if we decide to do a UK - Venice round trip next year.

Richard

What I find annoying is that the Azamura community on here have someone from the cruiseline who replies to members. Why don't we have the same service from a sister company? Come on Celebrity, be brave and give us the same service !

Still on the subject of UK deals my TA told me that Celebrity will not allow them to reduce the cabin prices here since December 2012. They can only do deals on the flight or hotel options which does limit any discounts. Is this true ?

Yes I was also given this advice by my TA. I do have two cruises booked for this year but will not be booking any more in advance. Next year we are waiting for the offers and late departure prices. Fortunately retired so no problems for dates.:D

The link that was posted to the offer did not detail exclusion of UK residents. Is this going to be another mess where they add that bit later? I swear I will scream if someone posts once more that UK travellers have special protection and laws that mean we cannot have these offers. Any one who wants to convince me of that will have to reference the law.

This was the comment I got from my UK PCS earlier this week:

the pricing structure has changed from january for bookings with agents and us , there is supposed to be more clarity now with agents and us pricing the same so we can't offer the levels of onboard credit we used to to make up the difference

Next years cruises on Eclipse are very similar to this years, looks like we will be looking for a different cruise line if we decide to do a UK - Venice round trip next year.

Richard

On our recent cruise on the Millie, the future cruise consultant told us that UK agents are no longer allowed to discount as this protects the smaller agencies from the High St giants. What a load of tosh, for the past 10 years we have used a small, one shop travel agent who has always given us 10% discount and offered an excellent service. I feel they are being badly treated by the cruise lines as there is absolutely no incentive to book in the UK now. Like bengaltiger1 I am sick to death of being told that we have special protection. You get all the protection you need by paying by credit card.

What I find annoying is that the Azamura community on here have someone from the cruiseline who replies to members. Why don't we have the same service from a sister company? Come on Celebrity, be brave and give us the same service !

Even more amazing is if you post on the Oceania cc board, sometimes the CEO, FDR, will reply! They do listen at Oceania. I get the impression that Celebrity do not.

Even more amazing is if you post on the Oceania cc board, sometimes the CEO, FDR, will reply! They do listen at Oceania. I get the impression that Celebrity do not.

Azamara has 2 ships, Oceania has 5. Both lines have a lower passenger load and a higher dollar amount.

Celebrity has 11 ships with a passenger load of about 25,000 combined and is moderately priced.

They shouldn't be expected to monitor a very fast moving internet community for concerns/complaints the way smaller and higher end lines do.

In regards to the OP, it seriously sucks that they are not offering the same promo in the UK. I can't seem to understand why. I would assume you'd have the option to get some extra goodies that we don't get this side of the pond.

I swear I will scream if someone posts once more that UK travellers have special protection and laws that mean we cannot have these offers. Any one who wants to convince me of that will have to reference the law.

I suggest that you just search Cruise Critic for the Icelandic volcano incident when a great deal of specific and detailed EU legislation was posted on here. You should not be surprised that travel consumer protection that UK/EU and US laws offer differ. It is similar with employment laws. And nobody can be unaware that gun laws differ.

However, I still think that it is the exchange rate that is a major factor in this particular case. The pound is currently at it lowest against the US dollar for 2 1/2 years. It is worth just over 90% of what it was worth 23 months ago and looks to keep falling if the government and Bank of England continue with the current "economic recovery" plans. Celebrity is a US based business. Oil is priced in US dollars.

As I said in my previous post, at the moment I am hardly Celebrity's greatest fan but I do live in the real world. Cruise Critic serves to remind me of another way we differ from the US: if we have a better offer in some way, the US posters usually say "good luck to you"; if it is the other way round, we complain about how hard done by we are.

Sue

I suggest that you just search Cruise Critic for the Icelandic volcano incident when a great deal of specific and detailed EU legislation was posted on here. You should not be surprised that travel consumer protection that UK/EU and US laws offer differ. It is similar with employment laws. And nobody can be unaware that gun laws differ.

However, I still think that it is the exchange rate that is a major factor in this particular case. The pound is currently at it lowest against the US dollar for 2 1/2 years. It is worth just over 90% of what it was worth 23 months ago and looks to keep falling if the government and Bank of England continue with the current "economic recovery" plans. Celebrity is a US based business. Oil is priced in US dollars.

As I said in my previous post, at the moment I am hardly Celebrity's greatest fan but I do live in the real world. Cruise Critic serves to remind me of another way we differ from the US: if we have a better offer in some way, the US posters usually say "good luck to you"; if it is the other way round, we complain about how hard done by we are.

Sue

There have been many posts that have theorised that the UK is exempt due to British law. No one has been able to quote the legislation that prohibits Celebrity UK from making this offer to UK residents. I understand that different countries have different laws. I simply want a reference to the oft mentioned legislation. I am uncertain as to what influence this additional 'protection' has on the ability of Celebrity UK to make the offer to us.

When the offer came out originally UK residents were not excluded that bit was added later. If the posts on here are to be believed Celebrity did not abide by their own T&Cs. As I have posted before I do not begrudge anyone else their good fortune. Good luck to them. I don't believe that you will find a post that I have made where I have been derogatory about our cousins across the pond or anyone else for that matter.

The latest flyer does not exclude UK residents, but as someone has already posted they have been told that the offer will exclude UK residents once more. Will it stop me booking with Celebrity - no. I like their product. I enjoy their ships. I am not complaining I am making valid observations.

It will be interesting to see what Celebrity UK do with this years prices. Last year our May cruise was reduced by £1000 after final payment, will the same be happening this year? Looks like P&O are strugling to fill their ships, saw this offer this morning:

From £99 inside and £149 balcony

Departing Southampton for 2 nights on the 16/04/2013

You will sail aboard Azura & have a full day in St Peter Port.

We have always booked early, never again, and I told my PCS so.

Richard

I am living in the UK at present, and recently checked with a TA here about a Cunard cruise. She told me that travel agents in the UK cannot offer cruise discounts anymore for any cruise line. Regarding the 123 offer from Celebrity: I wonder whether sometimes USA customers get certain offers because they have to travel much further to pick up a cruise--just a thought. One more thought: Celebrity's prices right now are a lot more resaonable than Princess, Holland America, or Cunard.

I am living in the UK at present, and recently checked with a TA here about a Cunard cruise. She told me that travel agents in the UK cannot offer cruise discounts anymore for any cruise line. Regarding the 123 offer from Celebrity: I wonder whether sometimes USA customers get certain offers because they have to travel much further to pick up a cruise--just a thought. One more thought: Celebrity's prices right now are a lot more resaonable than Princess, Holland America, or Cunard.

I have to travel to US to pick up my cruise yet those who booked in US were allowed to backdate the 123 offer, even those who live near the port! Whilst residents of the UK were specifically excluded.

As for TA not being able to give discounts - this will backfire on cruise lines and travel agents. Many will just wait until the discounts nearer sail date and they will happen as ships will not be getting early bookings. I always assumed that discounts, OBC, etc was put there to entice customers to book early so that the cruise lines could judge sales and promotions.

I have to travel to US to pick up my cruise yet those who booked in US were allowed to backdate the 123 offer, even those who live near the port! Whilst residents of the UK were specifically excluded.

As for TA not being able to give discounts - this will backfire on cruise lines and travel agents. Many will just wait until the discounts nearer sail date and they will happen as ships will not be getting early bookings. I always assumed that discounts, OBC, etc was put there to entice customers to book early so that the cruise lines could judge sales and promotions.

Does seem a tad unfair.

I understand your way of thinking, but I couldn't get the offer on a Caribbean cruise. I would have had to pay for flights to and accommodation in Florida to go on the cruise. The same way other nationalities have to pay to fly to the UK or Europe. My understanding is that other nationalities could take advantage of the offer for cruises out of the UK. They were not excluded from the offer.

Looking at the Celebrity UK offers it looks as if they wanted to fill the ships sailing from the UK and I can understand the commercial imperative for this. I just don't want to sail across the Bay of Biscay to get to the Med. I'd rather fly to Rome etc and join the ship there.

As I have written before good luck to those who can get the offers.

Celebrity in North America has not allowed discounting for some time. The larger agencies get around this by booking group space at a lower rate, and many times some of the commission is returned in the form of on board credit. It is unusual to see perks like free parking or transportation over here.

The large agencies I refer to are in the US. In Canada it is very unusual to get more than a bottle of wine or a dinner in a specialty restaurant along with paying the price on the Celebrity web site. This of course is rarely the same as the brochure price and varies, often from day to day.

Sheila

We have been pricing up cruises on Oasis and our TA has told us that they can no longer offer discounts, too. So as well as denying UK customers all the perks that US passengers are entitled to they have now taken away the only benefit we Brits might have had. All the UK TAs are quoting exactly the same price so there is no benefit in remaining loyal to one.

But the problem about booking with a US agent has to be the exchange rate. Had we booked a cruise just before Christmas the exchange rate would have been much better than it is now. it has dropped below 1.48, having been above 1.60 then. So whatever price you are quoted if you book early it could be more expensive when you have to pay the balance. Of course the dollar exchange rate could get better but it looks pretty bad at the moment.

Azamara has 2 ships, Oceania has 5. Both lines have a lower passenger load and a higher dollar amount.

Celebrity has 11 ships with a passenger load of about 25,000 combined and is moderately priced.

They shouldn't be expected to monitor a very fast moving internet community for concerns/complaints the way smaller and higher end lines do.

Sorry, but they are a larger company with a greater capacity, so I can't see how this arguement works. I must admit, our cruise doesn't seem like its 'moderately priced' at the minute either when I compare it to what people are paying and the extras they are getting for the same holiday ...........

I will enjoy my cruise but this whole business leaves a bad taste and to do the offer again and not for UK passengers when they know what bad PR it was last times amazes me. It feels like they couldn't care less what we think --

Archived