Beware of Art on Royal

I went on Allure of the seas in October and since my wife and I just bought a house we still had a few walls that needed pictures so we figured we would look at the auction. We found a nice Ferjo piece that we liked, put a bid on it and got it. They said the estimated delivery time was 8-10 weeks and after 10 weeks I called them to see what was going on and they said they were backed up on this particular type of painting but it should be in soon. After 2 more weeks I called back again only to hear the same story. Called another time after that only to get the same story. So after this I went online and did some research on the same painting and found it for about 50$ cheaper than we paid on RC so I called Art on Royal back and cancelled my order and ordered it from this online gallery (which came in 2 weeks).They didn't even try to convince me otherwise or offer some type of compensation. And this piece was not cheap it was over $1000. Now it's been another 3 weeks and I still haven't received my refund. I called them yesterday and she said it was posted on the 25th but I called Chase and still nothing. I'm sure people have had good experiences with the art auctions but I'd never do it again. Next time i'll find a painting I like and order it when I get home. Sorry for the long rant but I am annoyed at the whole situation.

My husband won a picture from the auction when we cruised on the Navigator and we had it shipped. It took months to get it. In fact by the time it finally arrived I had forgotten it was even coming. But as I said, he won it so I would have been out only the shipping fee. I wouldn't bother actually purchasing at the auction either.

I'm checking my purchase on the Mariner in December 2012. I purchased outright, not at auction, and I have the tracking number for UPS. It left FL a few days ago, so we should receive it on 3/13. That's pretty close to 3 months from when I purchased it, so the 8 - 10 week delivery estimate they put on the receipt is conservative.

By the way, it requires a signature at delivery, too.

Edited by pcur

Sounds like the "Art Auction" is up to some of the same shifty things it was when "Park West" ran the show.

Look how long it took for Park West to be run off the ships and they are still in the business.

A great book about art auctions at sea is Brian David Bruns' "Ship for Brains". It's the second book in his "Cruise Confidential" series, and depicts his time working as an art auctioneer onboard RC and Carnival ships. Of course, the mega art auction company he worked for was called "Sundance" (as opposed to Park West). Names have been changed to protect the guilty, maybe? ;):D

Edited by wwcruisers

Art purchases on board are often an impulse buy and people may not do their homework prior to the purchase. For a few dollars internet time people can save themselves a lot of buyers remorse.

People should always buy art because they like it not as an investment, especially art bought on a cruise ship.

Edited by Tim,n,Sue

Art purchases on board are often an impulse buy and people may not do their homework prior to the purchase. For a few dollars internet time people can save themselves a lot of buyers remorse.

People should always buy art because they like it not as an investment, especially art bought on a cruise ship.

I feel that is appropriate for any purchase made on a ship or the ports.

A great book about art auctions at sea is Brian David Bruns' "Ship for Brains". It's the second book in his "Cruise Confidential" series, and depicts his time working as an art auctioneer onboard RC and Carnival ships. Of course, the mega art auction company he worked for was called "Sundance" (as opposed to Park West). Names have been changed to protect the guilty, maybe? ;):D

THE FIRST WORD IN THAT TITLE needs to be auto corrected!

by winning a painting not a painting but a print and never again, not that the deal was bad, but I could have done much better the frame which we orderd was over $400, still not too bad, but the first one had some dents in the frame.I called and no problem, we will send you another one, ME, do you want to send the original back, ART COMPANY, no, just give it away, shows how truly valuable it was. There may very well be some good and reasonable priced art on a cruise ship, but but, they will be expensive, like they should be. Unless you really have to have a well known artist's painting/ print, shop local, and there are many many good artists, who produce some great original art.

PS, the art auctioneer, if he is really good will provide a wealth of history that is connected with the art he is selling/auctioning.

Not that it matters much to most.

But the current "Art on Royal" is a program run by RCI. While we like the art, and thing that the prices are reasonable, the shipping service isn't great. The actual work is being done by a subcontractor, but it's not as it was before with Park West. PW was totally independent from RCI.

Noting that they have been missing on our last two cruises, either it's being completely re-done, or phased out. We'll see....

We enjoy participating, and hope to do so in the future.

SAMCRO, do you mind sharing where you found the piece you ended up purchasing?

GalleryDirectArt dotcom. Their website is pretty easy to navigate. I got the piece in a similar gold frame that it was displayed in on the ship. I probably could have saved a few dollars if I got it framed myself after receiving the canvas, but it still came out cheaper than Royal's and I was fed up and just wanted it already.

You may want to contact your credit card company and contest the charge since you have already contacted the vendor with no results.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a few more days and if I don't see the credit I will.

Edited by SAMCRO

Not that it matters much to most.

But the current "Art on Royal" is a program run by RCI. While we like the art, and thing that the prices are reasonable, the shipping service isn't great. The actual work is being done by a subcontractor, but it's not as it was before with Park West. PW was totally independent from RCI.

Noting that they have been missing on our last two cruises, either it's being completely re-done, or phased out. We'll see....

We enjoy participating, and hope to do so in the future.

Oh boy, you aren't kidding! I did a reverse look-up from the phone number on my receipt, and it's someone's little home in Hollywood, FL!!!!

As long as I get the photo for my son, framed nicely, and in good condition, I'm happy.

Sounds like the "Art Auction" is up to some of the same shifty things it was when "Park West" ran the show.

Look how long it took for Park West to be run off the ships and they are still in the business.

Just got off Enchantment Saturday. Park West is back!

Please tell me you are joking. RCI wouldn't do that after all the problems with Park West,or would they?:confused:

Probably not. The "Art on Royal" program is a partnership between "Art Actually" and Royal Caribbean so I don't really see Royal doing their own art program on every ship EXCEPT for Enchantment. I'll find out when I'm on Enchantment in May. :)

Please tell me you are joking. RCI wouldn't do that after all the problems with Park West,or would they?:confused:

Oh dear God!! Just finished reading 'Shi$ For Brains" in the Cruise Confidential series ( Brian Bruns ) . It is the only book of the 3 that he calls fiction, as the name of the large art auction house is Sundance instead of Park West. Probably did not want massive law suit.

To be polite, I would call Park West "creepy".

Cannot believe that RCI is back in bed with them!

Oh dear God!! Just finished reading 'Shi$ For Brains" in the Cruise Confidential series ( Brian Bruns ) . It is the only book of the 3 that he calls fiction, as the name of the large art auction house is Sundance instead of Park West. Probably did not want massive law suit.

To be polite, I would call Park West "creepy".

Cannot believe that RCI is back in bed with them!

Remember, companies change with people. At one point, PW wasn't a shady dealer of crappy art, they sold decent stuff, and some good higher end stuff that they would actually stand behind.

Then something happened, which I don't know what it was- but it turned into a shady kind of auction and sales PLUS some questionable acquisitions that they sold as genuine.

It's quite possible that there was a big turnover at PW, and they've cleaned up their act.

I will hold judgement until I see it in person.

Heck, the Art Actually people were good, and the art was reasonable- what fell apart was the point between you getting off the ship and then recieving the art. That part is/was terrible.

Park West is definitely back on Celebrity, so no surprise if they get back on Royal Caribbean as well! We were on Celebrity Summit last week, and the auctioneer was sleezy as can be (we went to the first art auction for the raffle) ... just horrible. Several people walked out, as did we.

Were on Independence the week before that, and have no idea if there was any sort of art auction. We did admire some of the art hanging around the ship, though.

I go to the art auctions just to look at the art and have fun watching people spend their hard earned cash on art that is worth less then what they pad.

I enjoy sipping the free champagne(sparkling wine) that they serve with the canaps. The reason for the free champagne is so that some people who are already tipsy will bid on a piece and then buyers remorse settles in.

I agree that doing a search online before buying an art piece is vital. Hence I would only buy a piece in a gallery in my hometown or one where a relative lives such as in Santa Fe so if there is a problem my relative can go to the gallery on my behalf to see whats going on.

I go to the art auctions just to look at the art and have fun watching people spend their hard earned cash on art that is worth less then what they pad.

I enjoy sipping the free champagne(sparkling wine) that they serve with the canaps. The reason for the free champagne is so that some people who are already tipsy will bid on a piece and then buyers remorse settles in.

I agree that doing a search online before buying an art piece is vital. Hence I would only buy a piece in a gallery in my hometown or one where a relative lives such as in Santa Fe so if there is a problem my relative can go to the gallery on my behalf to see whats going on.

...Yeh BUT can you find that cool "Dogs playing Poker" paintings in those fancy-smancy art galleries???? I beg not!!!......Please pass the Grey Poupon........:eek::D:D