Suncreen of Choice?

We like Kinesys for spray and Coppertone Pure & Simple for lotion. I try to avoid oxybenzone as an ingredient. I also bought some Vanicream for the cruise as I've heard good things about it. I tested it out and it seems like it will be good.

Please do use a sunscreen that you've tried at home before you go!

It's no fun to find out on a cruise that you're allergic to it and makes you break out in a rash! :eek:

LuLu

~~~~

I agree with LuLu... I have had reactions to sunscreen even after using it once. I use the Nuetrongena as well. It works well and I don't have a reaction to it.

My dermatologist uses and recommends Neutrogena so that was good enough for me. Have a family history of melanoma so need to use it.

I've used specific ones for face which seem a little lighter. Also used the spray for back but just the cream in the tube is fine. Neutrogena makes several types. I use one of the higher number.

We use Neutrogena also , good spf, I just had surgery this year for melanoma and am being very careful now, but I also have used Bullfrog, also. When I was growing up ( I am in my 60s now) people did not talk about sunscreen , they talked about tanning lotion. We are better informed now, so do be careful.

Cori

I do think sprays need to be applied more often and rubbed in better than we sometimes do. So much easier though for applying to multiple people (ie, grandkids and their friends) at the lake.

Back to Target soon to see if they have any more of the sale spray-ons left--$1.38! Why I didn't buy more than a couple of bottles...?

Sprays are not supposed to be rubbed in. It decreases their effectiveness.

Sprays are not supposed to be rubbed in. It decreases their effectiveness.

Some are, some are not. Many of the sprays are not "rub free." Make the mistake to not rub on these and you will burn. Boyfriend was living proof of this.

My face...what a nightmare to find one that works and doesn't cause my skin to be irritated or break out. I've tried Neutrogena, baby sunscreen (don't remember the brand), Lancome (the worst for me) and others. I've finally settled on Clinique redness solution daily protective, with an SPF of 15 for daily use. When we are in the sun more, such as a day at the beach or pool, I use Philosophy, Hope in a Jar, oil free SPF of 30.

thanks for that info! I need to find something to use on my now bald head and the Philosphy sounds like a good place to start. i'll have to go to Ulta and pick some up once I'm out of the hospital.

My favorite is the Neutrogena UltraSheer dry-touch sunsreens - I use the spray for my body, and then the ultra light tube for my face. I have to say, the feeling I get wearing sunscreen can sometimes make me skip it...which is bad because I usually get a bad burn which fades into a tan and then I'm mostly protected. With this stuff, I notice pretty much none of the greasy feeling you can sometimes get, and I love it.

This is me too! If I think a sunscreen is too greasy or gross feeling I won't use it. So I decided several years ago that the best sunscreen for me is any one that I'll actually use. Currently I'm liking the Aveeno and Neutrogena lotions. I do take a can or two of spray along for quick touchups (I like the cool feeling of the spray on a hot day by the pool) but as some others have said I don't feel like it works as well for me so I always use lotion for a very thorough first application.

I use the coppertone ultrasport 30 (1) because this time of year Costco usually has it for a good price (2 spray cans and a tube) and (2) because nothing says summer/beach like the smell of coppertone :)

I use Neutrogena Sportface 70+ on my face

I think often the problem can also be when the sunscreen is put on your body. You need to apply the first time a good bit before you go out into the sun. Often people apply it when you get out there and then lots of people burn. Read the directions of the sunscreen of your choice and see how early it says to apply.

• 4 weeks later...

i have red hair, fair skin, live in hawaii, and my mom had skin cancer - so i am very aware of the sun. since i do a lot of water sports, i need something that stays on. i use "vertra" for my face (available at surf stores here). it works great and i like the way my face feels after applying. it also comes tinted and evens out my freckly complexion :)

i also use lots of 40+ sunscreen on my body (copperton sport or neutrogena) but i don't count on it. the best thing i have is an SPF long sleeve shirt. i discovered these when i started paddling canoe. i give my old ones to my mom to use when working in the yard. she said she used one when snorkling with friends and was the only one to not get burnt :)

I don't really like the lotions especially on my face so I buy anything that comes in a spray can! I find I can easily use that under my make up since it absorbs nicely and isn't greasy. I put on my sunscreen in the morning before I dress and then just have to touch up during the day.

Its coming up to suncreen season here in my part of the country and I got to wondering, whats your suncreen of choice while cruising?

What do you pack in your bag?

Neutragena for the face....Spf 30 feels great on....not heavy or sticky. My family history has no skin cancer but my DH is of Swiss, Scandinavia descent....he has had skin cancer and so he has to be careful.

My mom has had several bouts of skin cancer so I don't spare expense when buying sunscreen.

Love the Neutrogena dry stuff. I can get everyone to wear it since it doesn't feel like a lotion. I burn super easy so I use 50+ and reapply often. The kids and my husband do 30-35. Hawaiian tropic used to make a really nice spray one and they stopped, I was bummed since it was to only one that smelled really good.

Clinique and Bare Minerals both have a sunscreen that I have used on my face - it is a little tinted, so it also hides some imperfections! I have always liked the "spray" type sunscreens for my body, but, on my last cruise, with the wind, I felt like I was spraying the people beside me along with myself, so, next time I cruise, I'll probably throw some lotion in my bag in case it's windy!!

I second the recommendation to test at home first. After a bad case of PLE, I went through extensive allergy testing. They discovered I was allergic to some sunscreens only when they came in contact with the sun. How ironic is that?

• 1 month later...

Yahoo happened to put out an article about suncreens today, ranking their idea of the "best" and the "worst" suncreens out there right now. Obviously all of this should be taken with a grain of salt, but I did find it interesting that both forumlas of Neutrogena I used in the bahamas were listed.

Here is the jump to the link if anyone is interested.

All those suggestions were taken from the Enviornmental Working Group's page, and they have listing for almost every sucreen if you want to look that their source. Having looked at their pages I am starting to question the list (I think they mainly listed by cancel causing agents and not really by effectiveness) but it is food for thought.

I have been reading all of this with great interest, and have a question. I like to use facial sunscreen year round, but find that twice in the year- namely, our hot humid summers, and then the Caribbean cruise in December, I have not found a sunscreen that does not make my face break out in a sweat within 2 minutes of putting it on. I have tried so many and only used them once! Including the Neutrogena ultra sheer. It seems once you get to your fifties, things change.. I don't recall having this problem a few years back!! Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a facial sunscreen that allows your skin to breathe in the heat? I would prefer something tinted but really anything goes if it will work! Appreciate any suggestions, there are so many of you 'southern ladies' out there that I figure someone will have found a solution!

Yahoo happened to put out an article about suncreens today, ranking their idea of the "best" and the "worst" suncreens out there right now. Obviously all of this should be taken with a grain of salt, but I did find it interesting that both forumlas of Neutrogena I used in the bahamas were listed.

Here is the jump to the link if anyone is interested.

All those suggestions were taken from the Enviornmental Working Group's page, and they have listing for almost every sucreen if you want to look that their source. Having looked at their pages I am starting to question the list (I think they mainly listed by cancel causing agents and not really by effectiveness) but it is food for thought.

I found it interesting that all of the "worst" product listed on the first page were sprays/mists. I never liked the sprays because of all the alcohol in them - totally dried out my skin when I tried a can of it - back to my AloeGator.

One thing I religiously do with my sunscreen: I apply it before I go outside, and I apply it all over while nude. Lessens the chance of missing a spot because of the swim suit. I'll apply a tad more around straps and leg openings once the suit is on.

I have been reading all of this with great interest, and have a question. I like to use facial sunscreen year round, but find that twice in the year- namely, our hot humid summers, and then the Caribbean cruise in December, I have not found a sunscreen that does not make my face break out in a sweat within 2 minutes of putting it on. I have tried so many and only used them once! Including the Neutrogena ultra sheer. It seems once you get to your fifties, things change.. I don't recall having this problem a few years back!! Does anyone else have this problem? Have you found a facial sunscreen that allows your skin to breathe in the heat? I would prefer something tinted but really anything goes if it will work! Appreciate any suggestions, there are so many of you 'southern ladies' out there that I figure someone will have found a solution!

Have you tried the Clinique or the Bare Minerals? I'm 51, and both seem to work for me with no breakouts!

I think that the higher SPF's (above 30) can be helpful for people with certain conditions or medications.

Be sure to use plenty of sunblock, even if you chose one with a high SPF or high price. You should use at least a shot glass full of sunscreen for an adult body. Apply at least 20 minutes before you go outside. And apply it on bare skin. Things like lotion, makeup, and even massage oil remnants can keep the sunscreen from working as well. Reapply every two hours, even if you are just sitting around. More often if you swim or sweat, especially if you towel off. Sunscreen with no expiration date is supposed to be good for two years from date of manufacture, but extreme heat like sitting in a hot car all day can speed up the breakdown of the ingredients.

Also remember to put sunscreen UNDER your shirt if you are out in the sun all day. A plain old white tee only offers about the equivalent of SPF 10, less if it is wet. On a side note--does anyone remember those tan-through swimsuits that were supposed to leave you without tan lines? Ah, the bad ol' days!

Neutrogena Ultimate Sport 70 is the only one I have been able to wear without having to reapply and not burn. Last year I scored half a dozen tubes on clearance for cheap cheap. This year Im going to hawk the clearance near the end of summer to stick up for our January cruise.

Have you tried the Clinique or the Bare Minerals? I'm 51, and both seem to work for me with no breakouts!

I haven't tried Bare Minerals, will have to search for it, thank you. Does it come in lotion as well as spray?

Archived