Suncreen of Choice?

Its coming up to suncreen season here in my part of the country and I got to wondering, whats your suncreen of choice while cruising?

As a kid I was always lucky( in some ways) for all the hours and months spent in the sun and the years visitng the NJ coast I only burned once. On our first cruise last year I burned, even with faithful application every 45 minutes to an hour in the Bahmas using neutrogena's wet. Last year on the east coast the boyfriend got pretty burnt using coppertone's ultraguard.

I've outfitted myself with a little extra protection this year (10in wide brim hat wtih 50+ coverage) but I am having a hard time trying to decide on what to go with for our trip back to the bahamas this September. I would rather not have to employ my sunburn relief tricks on our next cruise.

What do you pack in your bag?

I'm a bargain shopper and like Target's 2-pack generic 30 SPF spray (compare to Coppertone Sport). I also like Hawaiin Tropic Dry Tanning Oil. It comes in different SPFs. I usually start with a higher number and then decrease for tanning, especially on my legs. And I ordered 3 new hats for my cruise, a wide brim Outdoor Reseach hat, a bucket hat, and a cute blue "Sloggers" hat I found online at Target; all with strings for the wind. I'm ready to cruise!

My dermatologist uses and recommends Neutrogena so that was good enough for me. Have a family history of melanoma so need to use it.

I've used specific ones for face which seem a little lighter. Also used the spray for back but just the cream in the tube is fine. Neutrogena makes several types. I use one of the higher number.

Consumer Reports rates top sunscreens for 2012

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57443073-10391704/consumer-reports-rates-top-sunscreens-for-2012/

My DH and I are both fair skinned and he also takes meds that increase his sun sensitivity. Last March in the Caribbean we both used the Walgreen's Sports spray listed in this article and had no problems.

I like the No-Ad brand. I love the convenience of the spray-ons, but they do get expensive. We use a lot, living on the lake with scads of kids in and out of the water all day.

I scored some Target brand spray-ons the other day on clearance; I'm not worried that they will have lost their potency after only 6 months.

Anything by OCEAN POTION. I ran out of sunscreen while in the Caribbean a few years ago and picked this brand at the local market. I've been buying it ever since. It provides great protection and has a wonderful light scent! (About a year ago while cruising we were using it on an exucursion and the one of the locals said they wouldn't use anything else :) I often buy it through Drugstore.com.

I like the Target spray ons also but I usually use a 50. Spray ons seem to work better for me as I think I do a better job of covering my skin with a spray vs. a lotion.

Sherri:)

I used Bergasol for 20+ years but it has been taken off the market recently. It has always been around the equiv of $20+ a bottle but it was my favourite.

I also use Piz Buin and pick it up when I go home, again it is more expensive but I would never use anything cheap when it came to protecting my skin. They do split bottles with two different factors which is handy. The range is huge so there is always something suitable. I like the small tube sachets that are one day application too, which is handy.

If I have to buy some here in the US, I like the spray cans as there is no rubbing in. We go through a lot of it here in Florida and I buy a whole range of factors and blocks

It's 70 at the minute so think I will go and check the pool bath and see what we have it there and I might even use some today!!

On my body I'm not as particular. I really prefer something without a lot of scent if I can find it. As long as the SPF is at least 30, I'm good. Sprays are fine, as long as there is no wind (reapplication, I apply the first coat before going into the sun.

My face...what a nightmare to find one that works and doesn't cause my skin to be irritated or break out. I've tried Neutrogena, baby sunscreen (don't remember the brand), Lancome (the worst for me) and others. I've finally settled on Clinique redness solution daily protective, with an SPF of 15 for daily use. When we are in the sun more, such as a day at the beach or pool, I use Philosophy, Hope in a Jar, oil free SPF of 30.

My problem areas are where my bathing suit (or clothing) rubs my skin, those areas, even with multiple applications, seem to get the most sun damage. I do wear a hat and even take an umbrella to keep the sun off my skin. I have no interest in tanning my skin.

Thank you for this post! This is probably the only thing I'm nervous about with my up coming cruise. I am fair skinned and burn, burn, burn!!

It has been many years since I've burned since I'm careful to use sunscreen.

I'm not a hat wearer...but, will be taking one on the cruise. Planning on wearing maxi's to help cover some of my skin.

Nothing is worst then a sun burn!

Thank you for this post! This is probably the only thing I'm nervous about with my up coming cruise. I am fair skinned and burn, burn, burn!!

It has been many years since I've burned since I'm careful to use sunscreen.

I'm not a hat wearer...but, will be taking one on the cruise. Planning on wearing maxi's to help cover some of my skin.

Nothing is worst then a sun burn!

This is my own thread :D but I thought I would check back in and mention... I spent A LOT of time yesterday looking at sunscreen yesterday online and in the stores. I never really noticed this about sunscreen in the past, but maybe this has to do with the new laws:

All of the suncreens on the shelf mention direct on the label that they are water resistant for 80 minutes. Even the cheap stuff and the regular suncreen (not just the "sport" types, etc.) The only stuff that seems to be rated longer then that is the more expensive lotions like Blue Iguana which rate for a couple hours but also contain barrier suncreens like zinc.

Obviously the real life usage may go hand in hand with that, but a lot of the time I have gravitated towards the newer or more expensive products thinking they offered more protection or were more water resistant. We always bought "no ad" or what was on sale when I was a kid. I ended up picking up two neutrogena's products on clearance. Ironicly they are some of the more expensive products (the wet application stuff and their "ultimate sport" since they were half off and good till the end of the year. Beyond making sure I have some kind of "wet application" suncreen for those wet moments that are bound to happen I think I am just going to focus on making sure I apply well and often.

I think I am defintely going to stay away from relying on sprays. I think this may have been what helped me burn in the past with uneven application and was most likely to blame with the boyfriends sunburn last year on his back.

I do think sprays need to be applied more often and rubbed in better than we sometimes do. So much easier though for applying to multiple people (ie, grandkids and their friends) at the lake.

Back to Target soon to see if they have any more of the sale spray-ons left--$1.38! Why I didn't buy more than a couple of bottles...?

My absolute favorite for my body is AloeGator SPF 40 lotion. I can go to Hawaii or the Caribbean in the Spring (after being bundled up all Winter), put this on and not burn. AND, I get a nice tan with it.

For my face, I use Neutrogena Face Shield in the big SPF factor.

For my everyday summer body lotion, it's usually one of the SPF30 sport lotions. I tried one of the sprays, but I just don't like the smell...

Remember...."waterproof" doesn't mean "towel-proof"....so if you dry off, you'll need to reapply.

Anything over 30 SPF is a waste of money.

SPF and type of lotion/oil/spray is all you need to look for.....brand really doesn't make a difference in the effectiveness.

I have recently started using Algenist SPF 50 on my face. It is lightweight yet has Zinc as it's main ingred.which I have been told by a dermatologist is a big plus. Julia

I have noticed that the spray sunscreen leaves yellow stains on the white parts of my swimsuit and coverup...I have had to replace both so are going back to sunscreen lotions...the higher spf the better...but I have heard that over 30, it doesnt do a better job..but I FEEL like I am doing more to protect my skin, and for the same price, why not? Lauri

We use Neutrogena (as per Dermatologist's recommendation) on our faces, and Banana Boat everywhere else. Lotion for the faces and a combo of lotion and spray-on for the body.

We usually apply the lotion initially and use the spray-on for 'touch ups' at the beach/pool. Although my husband swears he thinks the spray-on is less effective.

I just skirt the reapplication issue and throw on a rashguard. :D

I am currently waiting for my 17-year-old to finish eating his dinner so we can go buy sunscreen for his graduation cruise that leaves in 19 days!!! (His first cruise and our first time to take a kid! Woo!)

Robin

My favorite is the Neutrogena UltraSheer dry-touch sunsreens - I use the spray for my body, and then the ultra light tube for my face. I have to say, the feeling I get wearing sunscreen can sometimes make me skip it...which is bad because I usually get a bad burn which fades into a tan and then I'm mostly protected. With this stuff, I notice pretty much none of the greasy feeling you can sometimes get, and I love it.

Archived