"gratuities" or service charge

Just wondering what ever happened to gratuities offered to cruise employees who provide great service--meaning cash in those envelopes on the last night.:confused:

Just received a notice from RCC that gratuities will now be automatically added to sea pass accounts. Previously, with "traditional dining" reservations, you still had the cash gratuity option. No more I guess?

I realize that some folks prefer "prepaid gratuities" as a matter of convenience, however some traditional cruisers, prefer to reward good service personally. Are gratuities just another service charge of benefit to the Cruise Line? :(

I wonder about the future service level from attendants and waiters?

I wonder how others feel about this?

Golfbagger

Just wondering what ever happened to gratuities offered to cruise employees who provide great service--meaning cash in those envelopes on the last night.:confused:

Just received a notice from RCC that gratuities will now be automatically added to sea pass accounts. Previously, with "traditional dining" reservations, you still had the cash gratuity option. No more I guess?

I realize that some folks prefer "prepaid gratuities" as a matter of convenience, however some traditional cruisers, prefer to reward good service personally. Are gratuities just another service charge of benefit to the Cruise Line? :(

Golfbagger

I like the prepaid or added to your shipboard account - I still give 'envelopes' to those close to me (room steward,dining waiter) for service - but I like to think that the unseen bottle washers, potato peelers and laundry staff etc - all the faces YOU dont see - are getting something for their hard work.

Golfbagger

I like the prepaid or added to your shipboard account - I still give 'envelopes' to those close to me (room steward,dining waiter) for service - but I like to think that the unseen bottle washers, potato peelers and laundry staff etc - all the faces YOU dont see - are getting something for their hard work. They too have made my cruise special.

I dislike the auto-tipping but most people like it,, its been that way for some time on Hal. I feel service was always better before the auto-tipping started. But we normaly give extra at end of cruise also.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the gratuities added to my account, and still give envelopes to my room steward, waiter, and assistant waiter. I also gave an envelope to the young lady at the specialty coffee bar for making me the best latte every day.

Are gratuities just another service charge of benefit to the Cruise Line? :(

Golfbagger

You seem to be new to CC. Welcome!

Spend some time here and do searches on "tipping" and 'gratuities'. Plan on having more to read than you can do in a month.

It is a minefield of truths and half truths...but I would sum it up to say that, if you want to leave tips for everyone who made your trip a memorable experience, including 'invisible' people (like bus boys and dishwashers), then use the autotip and, for exceptional service, tip extra.

Don't forget that you have already been paying autotips for years by way of the 15% gratuity that has been added to any drinks you had from a bar onboard.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree that doing it myself is more personal than auto tips. That being said we leave the daily tip on the account and I tip over and above for good service. I also hate the little cards they give you to fill out on employees that you want recognized. I take the time to write short letters directly to the Hotel Director about staff I want to recognize. I always get a response. I normally do this a couple of days prior to the cruise ending. I know the word gets passed and quickly as all that I have written about have personally thanked me for doing so. I would not hesitate to write about poor performance. Thankfully we have been blessed with excellent staff on all of our cruises.

Archived