Final Week Bookings

freddybeachpete

Was looking at available inventory on the cruise we're taking in a weeks time and noted what seemed to me to be a fairly large number of available cabins (+/- 40 or more in various categories) at this late date. Wondering how common it is for Princess ships to sail at less than full capacity.

Was looking at available inventory on the cruise we're taking in a weeks time and noted what seemed to me to be a fairly large number of available cabins (+/- 40 or more in various categories) at this late date. Wondering how common it is for Princess ships to sail at less than full capacity.

Where is the cruise departing from? LA or Ft Lauderdale Cruises may have cabins filled in the last few weeks by employees of Princess or Carnival Corporate cruising at discounted standby rates.

Not very often. The cabins may be fully paid for but canceled at the last minute. An interesting factoid is that on average, a cabin turns over eight times between when bookings open and when the ship sails.

That is fascinating! I've never seen that fact before. Thanks, Pam.

Lot of last minute cruises are sold through interline travel agents, I think its to protect the prices of cruises sold to the public
I'm not sure that's the Princess model. If there is unsold inventory, Princess is far more likely to have a "Flash" sale than unload cabins via agencies.

I'm not sure that's the Princess model. If there is unsold inventory, Princess is far more likely to have a "Flash" sale than unload cabins via agencies.

I was once on a French Polynesia (Tahiti) cruise that was having difficulty being sold out (many people, including us, paid more for the airfare than for the cruise).

We met a number of travel agents on that cruise. Princess filled it up in the weeks before the cruise with TAs who could book last minute airfare for zero or low $$.

Lot of last minute cruises are sold through interline travel agents, I think its to protect the prices of cruises sold to the public

Princess/Carnival post interline rates fairly far out, and the prices do not go down closer to sailing. I booked our cabin on the CB at an interline rate about three months out, but those rates were available six months ago. The choice of cabins is what changes.

Different cruise lines do interline differently though-Celebrity doesn't always offer interline rates, and when they do it's usually inside 30 days to sailing.

Not very often. The cabins may be fully paid for but canceled at the last minute. An interesting factoid is that on average, a cabin turns over eight times between when bookings open and when the ship sails.

One method to decrease this and we are glad to see that Princess is implementing it is to move up the final payment date. We believe had the final payment date for the Grand Princess cruise around the horn (aka the PIA1913 cruise...) been demanded earlier, we may been off the waiting list and have been aboard. By the time the shake-out occurs it is usually too late to do anything about needed related travel. That is why we are confident we will get aboard the Royal for our requested dates even though we are on a waiting list because they have moved up the final payment date substantially.

Archived