MIA, FLL or MCO, Hotels/Transport

CM2J2R2S

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some collective wisdom and having read through many of the threads here, I still don't see exactly what I need and I am hoping some of you may have the answers.

Our cruise departs POM on 05 May.

There are ten people in my group.

We have the flexibility to leave any time before this and can stay in MCO, POM/Miami Beach, FLL or Hollywood. I have found lovely homes in MCO for 500 for the week and I have found a one bedroom condo in POM for 1200, both will house ten people, one easily, one kind of tight :) Hotels in POM and Beach area are at a premium, FLL/Hollywood is about 100 per night. We would need two rooms and a cot which will add up to 200+ per night for five or six nights. MCO seems to be the no brainer and we are all happy to fly there and hang out for the week. However - shuttles are insane for 10 people. Car rental has gone up significantly and no matter how I try to move ten people and their luggage, it looks like it will cost us 500 minimum. So then back to cramming us into the POM Condo... and not worrying about transport.

In my ideal world, we would fly to MCO, stay the week, fly out of MIA and then home; however, with ten in the group, cost effectiveness is essential.

Any ideas?

I personally wouldn't want to do the 3.5-4 hour drive from Orlando to Miami on cruise day but that may just because I like to get my full value by boarding ship as close to noon as possible. I presume you have been unsuccessful in finding a vacation rental in the Miami area...but have you considered a vacation rental in the upper Keys?

I personally wouldn't want to do the 3.5-4 hour drive from Orlando to Miami on cruise day but that may just because I like to get my full value by boarding ship as close to noon as possible. I presume you have been unsuccessful in finding a vacation rental in the Miami area...but have you considered a vacation rental in the upper Keys?

We are pretty seasoned travelers. Not always the brightest bulbs in the mornings but can be packed and out by 7 or 8 with a four hour drive being fine. That would be okay. But.. I do like the idea of the Keys. I only looked in Key West, but maybe I will poke around a wee bit more.

Thanks,

Mélissa

I would fly into MCO and stay there. Car rental prices should drop as you get closer to your May 2013 cruise date. Good luck! :)

Thanks! They are crazy expensive right now, I have never seen anything like it.

M.

Car rentals are a crap shoot, esp. for one-way rentals.

I have had best success with Priceline 'Name Your Own Price' within a month or so of the rental date.

There are shuttles online that advertise Orlando-Miami in the $30.pp range.

Nor sure why y'all are seeing high prices, I just did a one day rental from Budget for May 4-5 and a minivan is $99 and a 12 passenger van was $214. Both seem reasonable prices to me. If you look for some online promo codes I suspect you could save some more.

Nor sure why y'all are seeing high prices, I just did a one day rental from Budget for May 4-5 and a minivan is $99 and a 12 passenger van was $214. Both seem reasonable prices to me. If you look for some online promo codes I suspect you could save some more.

With taxes in for one day, we are getting $330 and up.

M.

I doubt 10 plus bags will fit into a 12 passenger van -- especially if any in the group pack like my wife! :o Two minivans or 3 sedans whould do the trick. Good luck! :)

Each person will have a personal bag (purse/back pack - really a lap bag and their own problem :D) and one big suitcase. Our oldest daughter will also have a garment bag for her wedding dress. With some room and two or three empty seats... we can maybe manage it. Unless, of course, my mother joins us... then we might have to go to three minivans and 12 sedans, combined.

$239.57 - but still better than a lot of other things we have looked at.

Thrifty and Dollar seem to be charging a drop off fee that the other companies don't...not sure if that is due to it being a full size van or just their policy. I know that Budget, Hertz, Avis don't typically charge in Florida for dropping off at a different location.

Try using Budget discount code #BCD-Y937800 for a great rate. You should be able to knock off 10 to 15% on your rental. If you decide to spend one week in MCO prior to your cruise that should be a great two week vacation. Why not spend six nights in MCO and then travel south to the Miami area and spend one night in a hotel close to the Port Of Miami. That way everyone gets a good nights sleep before your cruise. The Hampton Inn on Stirling Road in Hollywood, Florida is a great place to spend one night pre cruise and is less than thirty minutes north of the Port Of Miami. Relatives stayed there pre cruise in November 2012 when there was an electricial problem in my condo.

Archived