Formal Night Schedule

mabell2

We're going to Alaska on the Star Princess on June 1st, Sat -sat. I realize the sailings have not started for the Alaska season yet but I'm trying to find out if there is a set schedule for which nights are formal nights?

Thank you! :)

I was going to start a new thread with a few questions re: formal nights but I'll just add them here...

Am I correct that for a 7-night cruise, there will be 2 formal nights? Are there options for people who don't wish to dress up (other than room service)? Does the "formal attire" extend into the specialty restaurants or just the dining rooms? We've only sailed Oceania, who doesn't have formal nights. It's not like we won't have some dress clothes but DH isn't keen on packing the suit (I don't blame him)...on Oceania he wore dress pants and a dress shirt every night...left the jackets/ties at home! And quite frankly, if I can leave the cocktail dress at home that's just fine with me. We're already going to be packing enough for Alaska followed by a few days in Vancouver...love to leave the formal stuff at home!

I was going to start a new thread with a few questions re: formal nights but I'll just add them here...

Am I correct that for a 7-night cruise, there will be 2 formal nights? Are there options for people who don't wish to dress up (other than room service)? Does the "formal attire" extend into the specialty restaurants or just the dining rooms? We've only sailed Oceania, who doesn't have formal nights. It's not like we won't have some dress clothes but DH isn't keen on packing the suit (I don't blame him)...on Oceania he wore dress pants and a dress shirt every night...left the jackets/ties at home! And quite frankly, if I can leave the cocktail dress at home that's just fine with me. We're already going to be packing enough for Alaska followed by a few days in Vancouver...love to leave the formal stuff at home!

Formal clothing is not needed in the buffet or at the (extra cost) specialty restaurants, so these are two good alternatives to the main dining rooms on those two formal evenings.

Yes 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise. Only the MDR requires "formal" dress which for a male can be anything from a tux to a suit to a sport coat to no coat. What is required is pants (dockers will do but no jeans), a button up shirt and shoes as a minimum. Ties are not required and you will see many men without one wearing even suits. You will see men in all attires outlined above. Women dress similarly with short dresses, pants suits, etc.

When you get to AK, natives wear outdoors clothes including jeans. This still is the frontier in many ways. The important thing is to dress warm and dry. Leave the fancy clothes at home.

Vancouver is also casual as is most of the US west coast. Again dress for the climate and have fun. Jeans are always appropriate unless going to a real five star ($$$$) location.

What is required is pants (dockers will do but no jeans), a button up shirt and shoes as a minimum.

There was a recent thread that discussed the fact that one particular Maitre'D was a stickler and that short sleeve shirts were not acceptable. Others have noted that nice short-sleeved shirts have been acceptable in their experience. I will not offer to guess what will or will not be acceptable, as it is at the whim of the ship in general and the dining room manager specifically. Just a heads up that the quote above is almost always correct, but when it comes to the button up shirt, there may be some controversy as between long and short sleeves.

We are doing the same itinerary, and since the first "day" is embarkation day which is casual, I would venture to say that the first sea day would be the first formal night and the last sea day would be the other. Of course, since we have 2 sea days at the start, it could be the second sea day.

When you board, your Princess Patter will have a listing of all dining venues as well the listing for the dress code for the MDR.

Sue

We're going to Alaska on the Star Princess on June 1st, Sat -sat. I realize the sailings have not started for the Alaska season yet but I'm trying to find out if there is a set schedule for which nights are formal nights?

Thank you! :)

The formal nights will be Sunday (sea day) and Thursday (Ketchikan).

Hi, we are taking the Sapphire southbound in August.

Leave Whittier

Scenic cruise Hubbard Glacier

Scenic cruise Glacier Bay

Skagway

Juneau

Ketchikan

Sea Day

Arrive Vancouver

Any guesses on which are formal nights?

Thanks!

Our southboard last year had them on Hubbard Glacier day and on Juneau day.

Archived