Does Celebrity "Nickle & Dime" You?

Lightngsvt

First off, I dont mean this to be a negative thread as the wife and I are looking forward to our cruise on the 24th. But now that I have my logon and was looking at the spa, drink and excursion packages it is starting to seem that you are "nickly & dime'ed" for everything (OK everything is not a totally fair statement). Granted last time I was on a cruise was in my early to mid 20's and things have changed in those 15+ years. But that last cruise was Carnival I dont really rememebr paying for much of anything except alcohol, even certain excursion were no-cost or low cost.

Its not that another $100 here or $300 there is going to prevent us from doing anything but still feels like the experience or expectation has changed? For example: $600+ for both us to have drinks for the week? $520 for a couples massage? Given that my wifes a big coffee drinker, we'll have plenty of bottled water and pop and probably a couple of adult beverages a night Im sure it works out to get the pkg, but seems things like pop, coffee, cappuchino, bottled waters would still be included in the base price. We are Aqua Class, I believe we get free bottled water, does anyone know how much and what kind?

IN the end Im sure what will stick with us are the great memories of a great trip and not the extra $$ spent for drinks or tours.

My first cruise was a bit less than 15 years ago, maybe 12 or 13 years ago...but ever since I've started cruising there was an extra charge for shore excursions, alcoholic beverages, soda, massages, etc. And I think that's true for all the "non-luxury" cruise lines, Carnival included. Prices are higher now but I don't believe they've gone up faster than inflation. And I think the base cruise prices we pay now are no higher than they were 15 years ago (in actual, non-inflation-adjusted dollars too!)

The only thing I can't speak to is fancy coffee drinks. Did the cruiselines even have separate coffee bars 15 years ago?

So I'd guess you've just forgotten that you paid those extras in the intervening time...so clearly it wasn't a big deal or you'd still remember. Which means you should go ahead and pay for what you want, since it won't traumatize you for the long term. :)

For me it's not so much the alcohol as it is all the "specialty" restaurants! Golly Pete, enough! I know that people just love them, but to add another $80 for me to have one dinner?!?!? :eek: Kinda makes me feel like I'm a slug by eating in the MDR!

I know they make a lot of money off alcohol and excursions and that specialty dining is just another money maker, but when there are a bazillion of 'em, come on!

In answer to your original question...yes, I feel nickel and dimed - but the good part is that I don't HAVE to do them.....if you wanna spend the extra money for the 'experience' feel free to do so, just don't short change the MDR because of it!

I have been cruising since 1982--even in the dark ages, no drinks were free either than coffee, iced tea, some kind of punch, juice in the AM, and tap water. It is exactly the same on every cruiseline unless you do a very high-end all inclusive line, in whch case you are just paying for it in your cruise fare.

As far as excursions and spa treatments, I have never gotten a free one of those either. I will say that I stopped doing the spa years ago, because the price vs quality was so out of synch, especially to what I pay on land. So I get those things done at home.

I also NEVER take ship excursions--I do my homework and find what I want to see in each port, then ways to do it on my own (train, cab, shared private excursion etc.)

You will get bottled water and a pitcher of iced tea in your AQ room, the amount varies. Some attendants replenish as soon as you drink it, others are a little less generous. (You also paid for that water in your AQ price!)

But you should evaluate if a drink package works for you by doing the math. We don't drink much and it doesn't pencil for us but does for many who think cruise=drinking party!

I think if you check any mass market line, they all charge the same way the Celebrity does. There is never a shortage of ways to take your money, be it photos, computer classes, exercise classes, art classes, wine tastings, specialty restaurants, foo-foo coffees etc!!!

I was on that ship with the "boys" back in 1983. What a terrific time we had. I remember taking the scuba excursion in St Thomas (for about $40 at the time) and that seemed expensive but beyond that we only spent money on booze I think.

Honestly, the price has not increased from those days proportionately with the cost of living. Rather than raise the base price I think the industry has decided to market the other revenue opportunities so it SEEMS like they are nickle and diming you.

You'll love Aqua! We're going on Reflection next week. We did Aqua 2 years ago and now we're spoiled. Yes, we shelled out a lot for this cruise but its only 2 times the fare we paid on the Festival in '83!

BTW - we also had a "couples massage" on our last cruise in Costa Maya but it was right on the beach and it cost me a total of $50 for the 2 of us!

LighteningSVT -- no worries -- you're going to have a great cruise. And yes, sadly, things have changed (not all for the better) in the cruise world, since your last experience. Other posters have given you some great advice -- it's not mandatory that you purchase drink packages, specialty restaurant reservations, spa treatments, or anything else. You can just look at those as options that are available to you. And, while X seems to be pushing us more and more toward booking (and paying for) all those things in advance -- that's not necessary, either. You can wait until you are on board to make up your mine. It's your cruise -- decide what you want to splurge on, and have s a great time! :cool:

Oh, and if you're worried about getting nickled&dimed, do be careful about the spa. Steiner (who has the concession for many cruise lines, including RC & X) is notorious for "hard-selling" their spa products. Also, be aware that any spa services (even use of the Persian Gardens) will have an automatic 15% gratuity added to the bill.

Personally - I don't feel nickel and dimed at all. I look at it as having lots of options available, should I choose to take advantage of them.

Mike

Excellent attitude, perhaps this is the way I should look at it.

I guess when you put iit into perspective overall it really isnt that bad if the prices are truely that close to what they were 15 or 20 years ago. But one must admit that $520 for a couple massage is extreme! Id like to learn more about where to get this done on the beach!

So ship excursions are not the way to go? We arent expereinced cruisers so I figured doing ship-based excusrions would be safer (literally and in getting back to the ship on time). Have you ever run into any issues on a non ship based excursion? On my last cruise we did a tour followed by a few hours at the beach and literally got back tot he ship as they were pulling the gang plank. We had to board through the cargo hold! Scary then, funny now and a good story.

This is a la carte cruising. It allows for lower cruise fares. You don't have to drink or eat in specialty restaurants, many don't.

The packages make it more cost effective for those that want to eat in many specialty restaurants, or drink more.

I don't feel " nickel and dimed ". I'm glad that I have the option to upgrade my cruising experience , and I do!

You can always sail on Regent or other all inclusive cruise lines, and pay three times as much!

I call it having options. One can dine in the MDR or Oceanview Cafe or one can dine in a specialty restaurant. One can choose soft swirl ice cream or one can pay for gelato and the list goes on. I like having the option to choose to pay for what I will use. I do not consider this a nickel and dime scenario. :)

For me it's not so much the alcohol as it is all the "specialty" restaurants! Golly Pete, enough! I know that people just love them, but to add another $80 for me to have one dinner?!?!? :eek: Kinda makes me feel like I'm a slug by eating in the MDR!

It's up to $90 now! :eek:

There are a lot of non-up-front fees on all cruises, but Celebrity doesn't make a bunch of sale announcements like other lines, which makes it feel a lot less like a week-long timeshare pitch.

This is a la carte cruising. It allows for lower cruise fares. You don't have to drink or eat in specialty restaurants, many don't.

The packages make it more cost effective for those that want to eat in many specialty restaurants, or drink more.

I don't feel " nickel and dimed ". I'm glad that I have the option to upgrade my cruising experience , and I do!

You can always sail on Regent or other all inclusive cruise lines, and pay three times as much!

I don't mind being charged for extras because it keeps the entry price low, and everyone can spend only on what is important to them. We are very moderate drinkers and never use the spa on a ship. If these things were included in the price I would feel as though I was subsidizing other people. We like to plan and arrange our sightseeing without using the cruise line excursions and spend our extra money before and after the cruise to experience the countryside around the ports. I have never found Celebrity to give me a hard sell. It is very easy to say no to those extras that have no appeal and only spend on those we enjoy.

Sheila

I consider nickle and diming to be those cruise lines that blast over loud speakers everything from bingo to drink of the day - almost non-stop opportunities to spend more. I've not found that to be as much an issue on Celebrity. I really don't mind being charged for optional services of my choice, but I hate the atmosphere-destroying sales pitches on some other cruise lines.:rolleyes:

I call it having options. One can dine in the MDR or Oceanview Cafe or one can dine in a specialty restaurant. One can choose soft swirl ice cream or one can pay for gelato and the list goes on. I like having the option to choose to pay for what I will use. I do not consider this a nickel and dime scenario. :)

:eek:

You have to pay for gelato? :rolleyes: That sounds like nickel and diming to me.

With the exception of the premium lines---Regent, Oceana, Crystal- Which includes everything up front, but of course you are paying much more in total, all the cruise lines now will feel "nickel and dimed" unless you just pay for the cabin itself, eat at included eateries, bring on board your own soda and extra water. I too remember being on America Hawaii Cruises back in the early 1980's where with the exception of alcoholic beverages and shore excursions, everything was included. Food was very good, etc.

Now when I book a cruises, in my head I add may be $1500 to whatever the initial price is and then consider that as my one total bill.

I think it just goes with the territory. Traveling is expensive. The nickel and diming just adds to the ships bottom line. Nothing wrong with it. It is why they are in business. I doubt their cruise fares give them much extra gross margin.

You have to pay for gelato? :rolleyes: That sounds like nickel and diming to me.

Sorry, but I do not see it as nickel and diming at all. Celebrity offers complimentary Ice Cream throughout much of the day, and it's very good too. While the Gelato is excellent, and costs a few dollars, it's optional - as is specialty dining, excursions, gift shop & beverage purchases, and so on. Sure, Celebrity would like you to spend large amounts of $$$ onboard, but.... nobody is forcing guests to make onboard purchases.

I'm perfectly fine with Celebrity's current system, and having many options during our cruise. Choice is usually a good thing, and the choice is yours to make the purchase, or not.

No one can be nickel and dimed on a cruise without their participation. If you choose to get fancy coffee, if you choose to purchase gelato, if you choose to go to the spa, if you choose to purchase soft drinks and alcohol, it's not nickel and diming. You are making the choice to spend those nickels and dimes and you could very well not spend one single dollar on a cruise ship, if you so desire. You can drink regular coffee and tea and the beverages in the buffet like juice. You can eat the regular ice cream and not pay extra. You can do your own hair and walk the decks and not go to the beauty salon and spa. You can leave the ship with a zero balance on your sign and sail card if you so desire.

Sorry, but I do not see it as nickel and diming at all. Celebrity offers complimentary Ice Cream throughout much of the day, and it's very good too. While the Gelato is excellent, and costs a few dollars, it's optional - as is specialty dining, excursions, gift shop & beverage purchases, and so on. Sure, Celebrity would like you to spend large amounts of $$$ onboard, but.... nobody is forcing guests to make onboard purchases.

I'm perfectly fine with Celebrity's current system, and having many options during our cruise. Choice is usually a good thing, and the choice is yours to make the purchase, or not.

I am surprised and somewhat disappointed to read this...I had gelato almost every day on Azamara and was never charged extra for it. Before anyone says that I probably paid more for Azamara...I did not. I booked at the last minute and got a great rate.

In principal you could do a cruise without spending any extra's, especially on Celebrity as their free drinks are not as bad as on other lines and the free food is good and plentiful.

The only exception is ofcourse the dayly tip charge, but just see that as a hotel service charge and never skip that!

Also most of us have some kind of OBC nowadays, so there is no need to "feel" nickel and dimed.;)

Basically one persons "nickle and dimed" is anothers "a la carte" menu

also many celebrity ships have free gelato in the ocean view area

personally I prefer the the option ofchoosing a service over paying for a bunch of stuff I'd never use or do

jmho

Paul

Since the Line has free homemade ice cream and soft ice cream, the gelato really isn't nickle-diming. We loved the gelato but there were many free similar options.

Den

There is ice cream at no extra charge. There is also frozen yogart

in the Aqua Spa Cafe and no extra charge for it either.

The Gelato is located in the same area as Cafe Al Bacio. If you

don't want to pay for it? Try the ice cream and/or frozen yogart

choices.

In principal you could do a cruise without spending any extra's, especially on Celebrity as their free drinks are not as bad as on other lines and the free food is good and plentiful.

The only exception is ofcourse the dayly tip charge, but just see that as a hotel service charge and never skip that!

Also most of us have some kind of OBC nowadays, so there is no need to "feel" nickel and dimed.;)

Agree with you completely!!

Archived