CUNARD "to LOOSEN UP "

suggabuttyboy

In this modern age of financial restraint I am guessing that to design a one off ship is now no longer viable and one class with multiple ships must be a huge cost saving... )

Yes very true, I don't think it likely that we will see another one off design.

And I do think there are compromises with one offs. It was discussed here about the placing of the passenger laundries on QM2. On most ships they are stacked one on top of another: makes sense because all the services can be installed top to bottom. On QM they are placed in random.

And what about the entrance to the Queens Room?

David.

I've been on P&O's Arcadia, Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth, and got absolutely no sense of deja vu on Arcadia. In fact, it was my least favourite ship of the ones I've been on. QV and QE are the favourites.

Mary

I would have to agree with this - also having been on these three.

One thing that the three do have in common is the "creakiness" of these Vista class ships. They are the noisiest ships I have been on - and I am not talking about minor creaks that keep you awake in your cabin at night :) I can recall one night in the Arcadia Crows nest when they had a classical piano recital on - you couldn't hear it above the noise of the creaks in the walls. I am certain it has to do with the method of construction (probably of the internal walls) used by Fincatieri

Barry

I've met lots of American and Australian ladies who say "we wear scrubs all year, we want to dress up". Especially with my dance groups, most of the women wouldn't dream of appearing less than their best at the evening dance sessions.

Cunard's entire fleet isn't much bigger than one Oasis-class ship. I simply don't believe they should have problems selling out with competent marketing.

I do agree with the "old-fashioned" comments- it's only been a couple of years since they stopped playing music from the '30s. That's an area that really needs new leadership. There's lots of good contemporary music out there that fits a younger crowd.

P.S. Agree with Norfolk Brit, QV/QE would be my favourite ships if they were well-run.

Peter Shanks is blaming Australians for his decision to 'loosen up' the dress code. Apparently, he must think Australians are all peasants (must be our convict heritage).

Anyway, I read this article entitled "The top cruise gripes of Australian travellers' and it focuses on the most common cruise gripes that Australian travellers have. Interestingly (and predictably) the Cunard dress code - or any dress code for that matter - didn't even register.

If you want to dumb down the dress code Peter Shanks, that's fine, it's your decision, you're the president of Cunard, but find another nation to blame.

Or preferably, don't blame any nation or group of people. Just tell us that you're dumbing down the dress code because you want to.

No, no, I don't think Peter Shanks (Pres/spokesperson for Cunard) is blaming Austraila - but rather cultivating Australia as an increased source of revenue. Cruise lines are looking to expand the Austrailian market even further - it is the gateway to expanding the Asian Cruise market (i.e. the rising middle class in China).

Slight relaxation in the current dress code would ease the way for expanding cruise markets where the European model of dress codes is not the cultural norm.

With only three ships, I don't believe its a good gamble for Cunard to take such risks .

No, no, I don't think Peter Shanks (Pres/spokesperson for Cunard) is blaming Austraila - but rather cultivating Australia as an increased source of revenue. Cruise lines are looking to expand the Austrailian market even further - it is the gateway to expanding the Asian Cruise market (i.e. the rising middle class in China).

Slight relaxation in the current dress code would ease the way for expanding cruise markets where the European model of dress codes is not the cultural norm.

With only three ships, I don't believe its a good gamble for Cunard to take such risks .

Blaming, I missed that.

David.

This article makes it very clear that Peter Shanks is singling out Australians as one of the main reasons why they are dumbing down the dress code.

In that article Shanks says:

"Australian customers, in particular, said Mr . Shanks, look for an informality that could be seen as inconsistent with the brand."

“Australians bring vigour and excitement – they’re pretty passionate people and really lift the ship’s atmosphere”, he said. This means relaxing some of the dress codes and paring back the traditional ‘formal nights’ on Cunard cruises for Australian passengers, although the formal nights are an ‘expectation’ for trans-Atlantic passengers where tradition is key.

I think Shanks is making a mistake. He's dumbing down the product that attracted the loyal 'Cunarders' in the first place (and annoying them in the process) for the probable once-off voyage that some newbies will book now that they don't need to dress for dinner.

As there are no water slides and wet t-shirt competitions on Cunard (currently) these people will return to the cruise lines that they feel more comfortable on and the end result will be short term profit for Cunard but a lot of ill will from the regulars.

Cunard can't reconcile the differences between the crowd that wants to dress up and the crowd that doesn't - they're at opposite ends of the spectrum. Peter Shanks has decided to take the current Cunard product down market and he's singled out Australians as the main reason why they're doing that.

Would Cunard need more ships to cater for this 'new' market or could it be they are not filling up the ones they currently have??

Perhaps, instead of going downmarket, they could look at their prices and then take a good long hard look at themselves in the mirror. If they're having trouble filling their ships than maybe that's the issue? What about the lack of regular deals for singles? I bet that is an untapped market. There are many people on this board (and out in the 'real' world) who would love to travel more on Cunard - and appreciate the dress code - but resent having to pay supplements.

Once you go downmarket there is no going back. It's the same with everything else in life, if the standards are lowered they remain lowered.

Dear All

I noticed this active string on Cunard Formal Nights and Dress Codes and thought I had better jump in. As I discussed on my recent Q+A session - we do not plan to make any changes at all to our cherished Formal Nights or Formal Dress Codes on those nights. They remain very special to us - we normally have around two such evenings a week and three on a Transatlantic Crossing. They are very popular both with our loyal regulars and with those that cruise with us for the first time. On the other nights we have a more informal approach and we think that strikes the right balance for everybody. Dressing up is something that we all enjoy from time to time - and on a Cunrad ship it can be a wonderful experience - a taste of tradition but in the beautiful modern surroundings of our fine young ships. I hope that put's your mind at rest. There were also some comments on the string on Australia - I have just got back from spending some time on Queen Mary 2 in Australia - and the atmosphere on board was terrific - we are at our best with a wide range of nationalities onboard and it is a beautiful country to boot. Best Regards. Peter Shanks.

Dear All

I noticed this active string on Cunard Formal Nights and Dress Codes and thought I had better jump in. As I discussed on my recent Q+A session - we do not plan to make any changes at all to our cherished Formal Nights or Formal Dress Codes on those nights. They remain very special to us - we normally have around two such evenings a week and three on a Transatlantic Crossing. They are very popular both with our loyal regulars and with those that cruise with us for the first time. On the other nights we have a more informal approach and we think that strikes the right balance for everybody. Dressing up is something that we all enjoy from time to time - and on a Cunrad ship it can be a wonderful experience - a taste of tradition but in the beautiful modern surroundings of our fine young ships. I hope that put's your mind at rest. There were also some comments on the string on Australia - I have just got back from spending some time on Queen Mary 2 in Australia - and the atmosphere on board was terrific - we are at our best with a wide range of nationalities onboard and it is a beautiful country to boot. Best Regards. Peter Shanks.

Thank you for posting, but I'm still a little confused. Are you planning to make changes to the current dress code and their components: formal, semi-formal & casual (including the number of formal nights per week) or not?

I was on board QM2 from Singapore to Brisbane just recently and thought the mix of formal, semi-formal and casual was about right. It's concerning to think that you may be planning to reduce the formal nights. That's really all people are worried about - those recent articles make it sound like changes are planned.

I'm glad you enjoyed Australia. Did you pop in to G32 whilst you were on board?

Hi Whitemarsh,

You are a regular cruiser and it might beneficial for folks that read your posts to perhaps see your nationality on the front page.. I am no expert on this but up on the right hand side it shows our username, posts and in some cases the location.

We are talking about an Australian issue and listening to the thoughts of regular Australian cruisers might be helpful ;);) nudge, nudge, wink, wink

I would have to agree with this - also having been on these three.

One thing that the three do have in common is the "creakiness" of these Vista class ships. They are the noisiest ships I have been on - and I am not talking about minor creaks that keep you awake in your cabin at night :) I can recall one night in the Arcadia Crows nest when they had a classical piano recital on - you couldn't hear it above the noise of the creaks in the walls. I am certain it has to do with the method of construction (probably of the internal walls) used by Fincatieri

Barry

We noticed that on the QV last Jan.It was in only moderate seas & that ship really made a racket. Some of it was caused by a "harmonic" vibration from the waves hitting straight on, aided by the stabilizers. You could hear this sound rumble it's way along the entire ship.

Hi Whitemarsh,

You are a regular cruiser and it might beneficial for folks that read your posts to perhaps see your nationality on the front page.. I am no expert on this but up on the right hand side it shows our username, posts and in some cases the location.

We are talking about an Australian issue and listening to the thoughts of regular Australian cruisers might be helpful ;);) nudge, nudge, wink, wink

Thanks for the tip Glojo. Hey, do you think that really was Peter Shanks? It's a different profile to the one in the Q&A session.

I'm really not sure what's going on now. Those recent articles make it sound like there are changes afoot but the post from 'Peter Shanks' intimates that there aren't going to be.

By the way, that voyage you're doing looks really interesting - a great itinerary.

Thank you for posting, but I'm still a little confused. Are you planning to make changes to the current dress code and their components: formal, semi-formal & casual (including the number of formal nights per week) or not?

I was on board QM2 from Singapore to Brisbane just recently and thought the mix of formal, semi-formal and casual was about right. It's concerning to think that you may be planning to reduce the formal nights. That's really all people are worried about - those recent articles make it sound like changes are planned.

I'm glad you enjoyed Australia. Did you pop in to G32 whilst you were on board?

I still have the brochure from our first Cunard voyage in 2004(aboard QM2)Surprisingly it states as follows:"Formal,Informal,Casual" Formal & Informal were exactly the same as today's dresscode. Casual was quite different:Men:"Slacks and a sweater or shirt. Women:"Skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse".The "Cunard Schtick" saying then was "Float off somewhere.." It would slowly "fade" as you read the phrase. Now a days I'd be afraid how that phrase has probably been "rearranged" to something quite derogatory.

Thanks for the tip Glojo. Hey, do you think that really was Peter Shanks? It's a different profile to the one in the Q&A session.

I'm really not sure what's going on now. Those recent articles make it sound like there are changes afoot but the post from 'Peter Shanks' intimates that there aren't going to be.

By the way, that voyage you're doing looks really interesting - a great itinerary.

My suspicious mind did ask the same question and I asked myself why Mr Shanks did not use the same username as in the Q&A.

I am someone that trusts folks until I find out otherwise, we were told in the Q&A that this person would be aboard the Queen Mary in March so hopefully it is the man :) If this is the case will they indeed be offering Cruachan that Q1 upgrade from his third class cabin in the cable locker!! I would personally promote this scrounger to chief of the heads and officer in command of the dish washer! ;):)

...I would personally promote this scrounger to chief of the heads and officer in command of the dish washer! ;):)

Well, I think you are being desperately unfair - I think Mr Shanks is doing a jolly fine job and it is unbelievably rude of you to refer to him as a scrounger! :eek:

J

Well, I think you are being desperately unfair - I think Mr Shanks is doing a jolly fine job and it is unbelievably rude of you to refer to him as a scrounger! :eek:

J

And it's the September 13 Adriatic cruise that has the Q1 available, is that right? You forgot to mention it, so I thought I'd help out. :)

Bill to be forwarded by Martistan Invoicing Associates.

And it's the September 13 Adriatic cruise that has the Q1 available, is that right? You forgot to mention it, so I thought I'd help out. :)

Bill to be forwarded by Martistan Invoicing Associates.

Thank you Kathy. I was so utterly shocked and stunned by GloJo's contemptible rudeness to the finest CEO the world has ever known that I quite forgot to mention the upgrade to a Q1 on Queen Victoria voyage #V315N sailing from Southampton on 13 September 2013 with port calls at Cadiz, Valletta, Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Messina, and Gibraltar!

J

Thank you Kathy. I was so utterly shocked and stunned by GloJo's contemptible rudeness to the finest CEO the world has ever known that I quite forgot to mention the upgrade to a Q1 on Queen Victoria voyage #V315N sailing from Southampton on 13 September 2013 with port calls at Cadiz, Valletta, Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Messina, and Gibraltar!

J

But not nearly as shocked and stunned as I was. Never in the history of mankind has anyone before been as shocked, stunned and disgusted as I am.

Upgrade to Q1, Queen Victoria 15 May 2013. Ta.

Respect,

Sir Martinxx

But not nearly as shocked and stunned as I was. Never in the history of mankind has anyone before been as shocked, stunned and disgusted as I am.

Respect,

Sir Martinxx

I am more shocked than the two of you combined, and besides my voyage is only two weeks away ;)

Upgrade to any Q available, Queen Elizabeth 30 March 2013 TA

I was so utterly shocked and stunned by GloJo's contemptible rudeness to the finest CEO the world has ever known that I quite forgot to mention the upgrade to a Q1 on Queen Victoria voyage #V315N sailing from Southampton on 13 September 2013 with port calls at Cadiz, Valletta, Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Messina, and Gibraltar!

J

Respect,

Sir Martinxx

I am more shocked than the two of you combined, and besides my voyage is only two weeks away ;)

Upgrade to any Q available, Queen Elizabeth 30 March 2013 TA

OMG! It's a truckling contest!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear All

With all due respect, you already have reduced them - there used to be four formal evenings on a Transatlantic, and that has now been reduced to three, though to what purpose escapes me.

Dear All

Your Lordship Sir,

thank you, thank you, thank you! How wonderful to receive this assurance from the very top man in Cunard (Indeed, may I venture to say, probably the top man on the entire planet). It is absolutely fantastic that you can take all this time out of your incredibly busy schedule to communicate with us little people. I know that I don't need to worry about anything Cunard related while the line is in a pair of hands as safe and efficient as yours.

I have the honour to be,

Sir,

Your obedient servant

James Christie

(Looking for a Q1 on Queen Victoria voyage #V315N sailing from Southampton on 13 September 2013 with port calls at Cadiz, Valletta, Venice, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Messina, and Gibraltar!)

I think we should give the same cautious welcome to a first poster on these boards as we normally do.

David.

Nooo just let that snivelling creep of a pongo bow and scrape... typical of these army types..

Sell their soul for half a pint of beer and a few dog-ends :)

Archived