CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Carnival made a good call in flying the folks home rather than risk a Triumph repeat. It will be interesting to see what exactly went wrong and whether its just "one of those things" or the result of a maintenance issue with Carnival.

All on a ship less than four years old :(

2. Vacuum toilets will only overflow if people who have used them continue to press the flush button after the first attempt to flush fails. To all cruisers out there: one push only, please. Further pushes on the button will only add water to the toilet, but the discharge valve (what makes the dirty go away) will not open. This causes the toilet to overflow, and deposit your deposit on the deck.

Thank you. I was trying to figure out why the toilets would be spewing "human waste" if there was a power issue. This is pretty much what I assumed - people causing it to happen. Yes-not a good situation with a family in a stateroom, but it's not like the power flickers and crap shoots out like a fountain.

And why is it "human waste". Are they making sure we didn't think it was perhaps bovine waste coming out????

They don't even apologize (CNN) for running an incorrect update... I am sitting here watching their feed- drinking coffee, undistracted. Next thing I know, there will be a different pope elected... whoopsi CNN... mea culpa.

Incidents.png

You forgot to mention what % of the industry each cruise line represents. Since CCL is by far the largest cruise line it stands to reason they will have by far the largest share of accidents, but it is not indicative of anything on its own.

Live report on HLN from reporter that is on vacation on the ship. He just now reported that there has been no communication at all this morning by the cruise director. He said she was pretty good communicating yesterday...but nothing this morning so far. The reporter, Kris Anderson, told HLN that they seem to have power but that some bathrooms don't work. He was hoping that there would be some announcements soon as to the status of the ship. He said that when the ship leaves port there will be two days at sea before they reach their destination.

WOW If CNN is correct I REALLY hope people can get off the ship now as it's obvious they aren't leaving by ship. Still nothing on Carnival's website?

I just remembered i have a future cruise credit i bought on my last cruise. Hope the refund process isn't too time consuming

Carnival made a good call in flying the folks home rather than risk a Triumph repeat. It will be interesting to see what exactly went wrong and whether its just "one of those things" or the result of a maintenance issue with Carnival.

Agree with you. The best thing is to fly them home a.s.a.p. to avoid them getting stuck in the middle of the ocean and receive more bad publicity.

Well, if CNN is reporting all these terrible conditions aboard the Dream, you know it is TRUE, cause just like the internet, you can't put anything on the internet or CNN that isn't true!!! :eek: :eek:

Bonjour.

(Sorry, I had to ;) )

A whole lot of people saw another problem on Carnival today and said three strikes you are out. (Concordia, Triumph, today). Minor or major issue, Carnival is on the bad end of a PR nightmare...hate on CNN and the lame stream media all you want....but the fact is people watch the news and then move on....I think Carnival may be on the fast track to adiosville/Chapter 11.

Also, CC friends on the next cruise are pipe dreaming for a Saturday send off...unless the earth's gravitational pull, waters buoyancy and 9,000 mile tail wind hits that ship, she won't be home in time.

Do not rely on heresy or corporate assurance...use your common sense to analyze this situation.

But CNN is reporting onboard pax that there is overflowing toilets. CNN would never misrepresent the facts and would never say anything negative against carnival. So the brave men and women of the coast guard must be lying.

This hyperbole is not constructive.

The Coast Guard has not boarded and has no jurisdiction over a ship docked at St Maarten so any information they have comes from CCL.

FYI the CG never boarded the Triumph either.

Update on Carnival Dream

March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.

Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

Ok you Math geniuses,

How many passengers on the Dream right now, in the days between the Triumph Fire Cruise and leaving for their Dream cruise were asked "Arn't you scared to go on a cruise after the Triumph problem?"

And they said "It will be fine" "What are the odds of another ship breaking down?"

TEST;

What were the odds of this ship having a major break down? Just take it to the level of sailings/ships (just Carnival)?

Computers down, (pencils down) time is up,

just taking it to the ship to cruise level, I come up with

1 in 115 chance of this happening again, (using rough math one cruise per week per ship) I know some do more than one cruise (3 and 4 day)

It is going to be interesting to see how this plays out for the people without passports.

I suspect they will be processed last. Just like with any triage situation, remove the ones that don't need help from the situation first, then take care of the rest of them.

Update on Carnival Dream

March 14, 2013- 10:45 am

The Carnival Dream has a technical issue with the ship’s backup emergency diesel generator which our engineering team is currently working on. Yesterday, during regularly scheduled testing of the ship’s emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source was not impacted. The ship is at dock in St. Maarten. All guests are safe and comfortable. There were periodic interruptions to elevators and restroom services for a few hours last night. However, all hotel systems are functioning normally and have been functional since approximately 12.30am.

While personnel continue to work on the technical issue we are making arrangements to fly all guests home via private charter flights and scheduled flights from St. Maarten. Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

We are also cancelling the ship's next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing.

Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Yesterday was a scheduled port of call visit to St. Maarten. Guests were able to spend the full day in port and have the option of continuing to do so until their scheduled return home. All of the ship's activities and facilities are fully operational.

We are very sorry for this disruption to our guests' vacation plans and extend our sincere apologies. We look forward to welcoming them back on another Carnival cruise.

The Carnival Dream was on the last leg of a seven-day cruise and was docked in St. Maarten when the technical problem arose. The ship is based in Port Canaveral, Fla.

I know my posts tend to be long and technical, and that turns some off from reading them. Here's the short and sweet.

If the problem was with the emergency generator, which it appears is so, the ship could not have sailed from port without it, particularly as it appears to be affecting the emergency power circuit with all the navigation equipment on it.

If the same problem had ocurred at sea, there would not have been a repeat of the Triumph, as only those systems on the emergency circuit would have been affected. Caused serious concern for the Captain? Of course. Caused a tug to be dispatched to meet the still moving ship? Of course. Repeat of Triumph? NO.

You mean cruise lines don't keep a spare ship hanging around IN CASE?

..Fully staffed? twiddling their thumbs? Waiting on the next once-a-month emergency call?

Fully stocked? with all that food?

No?

Geez, Louise, I'm surprised they don't! :eek:

OK, that was funny.

I agree, although they need to issue a press release and say so. Their corporate communications department is pathetic at best.

Archived