CNN reporting another Carnival Ship having trouble (The Dream)

vinsheer

Some may have medical equipment that cannot go on a plane,

some may have total and utter panic attacks when flying and refuse

some may have 85 lbs of luggage -- what then?

When you have over 3000 to evacuate by only one means - there are surely going to be special circumstances somewhere I woud hope! :eek:

The luggage is a no brainer. CCL will cover the extra cost. (Why anyone travels with that much crap is beyond me--unless it's a medical need of course.)

And that's because they don't want to lose a fare by having to fly you back to your destination because you don't have proper documentation.

Probably, but it is a check, so the documentation may still be improper. So showing the passport to the airlines is not a guarantee that a pax will pass immigrations in the destination.

RCCL just had a Noro outbreak!

Your no safer there! Things happen annywhere!

I guess using tha logic, Carnival would look better if everyone encountered a power problem or other just to make them look better?

Classic red herring.

I believe that they already said they would cover transportation home. I imagine CCL has booked blocks of rooms near the airport in anticipation of need. If they didn't, shame on them.

of course you are forgetting that it is the height of Spring Break at the moment. and yes, even hotel rooms that are less desireable in the P/C..Orlando are will be booked already..you know...by those pesky college kids...and even worse those families who like to vacation with their young kids...oh the horrors!

RCCL just had a Noro outbreak!

Your no safer there! Things happen annywhere![/ come on that happens on all ships,but carnival something always bad happen,the Noro outbreak is not a engine problem,Noro comes from guess at least there where lights,food bathroom working

Also, and in case anyone is interested, some foreign countries have US passport control in their departure airport, so you go through passport control before departing.

Yup. Canada. Bahamas. Maybe some other places I am forgetting about. (Bermuda?) Of course, that's really more like ARRIVING in the USA. You just arrive from a CBP standpoint before you leave. :)

I'm having difficulty understanding how any laws would necessarily be circumvented.

I certainly expect CBP would obey relevant laws. I also expect they have a far better understanding of the laws and regulations they enforce than anyone posting in this forum.

When someone flies into the US, they are required to have a passport to enter. If they don't because it was lost or stolen, there are specific extra security screenings that they must go through. What I'm saying is that those without passports should be required to go through those same extra screenings on their way back into the US. That means a private room and a lot of questions.

What gall, MissKIA.

They rearranged their life and work schedule, paid for a FULL CRUISE, and what will be by far the overriding memory of it? IT WAS THE CRUISE THAT BROKE DOWN AND STRANDED US.

They didn't get even NEAR what they bargained for, yet you begrudge them a refund? What gall, MissKIA.

I am sorry, but you are wrong, IMO, have you been on any cruise that has had a major change in itinerary?

I have been on 2 coincidently it was the same ship,

The first when we went on the Splendor in 2009 and did not get to go to Mexico due to swine flu

The second was our due over from that this past December we went on the Splendor, and we had a great time, but did not get to go to Cabo for 2 days but spent the night in Porta vilarta,

The cruise is what you can make of it,

On the first the weather was cold, it rained in San Francisco, so could not spend much time outside or seeing the sights, but was fun, DW had never been to San Fran so she liked it,

The second well did not have plans for the second day there so went out and saw the town,

if you are on the ship, make the most of it, and if they offer you something good, if not that is fine also, just have fun.

I agree with Davila,as for me I am loyal to royal never i will go on a carnival ship even if the fare is low or for free.:)

than your opinions of Carnival are subjective and worthless IMHO:cool:

They don't want a repeat of the PR nightmare from the Triumph fiasco. They started off slow, and are now overcommunicating.

At least they are learning from their mistakes. I've got to give them credit--and a lot of it--for that.

I don't have loyalty to a brand either. I don't sail Carnival because I am loyal to them (look at my cruise history and my upcoming cruises). I sail them for the value I get for my money. I'm hoping the impact from this is some more price drops on my August cruise so I get even more value.

We had 2 different issues with our 2 different cars this month too. I don't blame DH for not maintaining our fleet :D. Things happen. We fix them and move on. Carnival was just unfortunate to have things happen so closely together. It happens. Unfortunately for them the media is out to make things look worse than they are. Sometimes we run into a string of unfortunate incidents. I am not a Carnival cheerleader...but I also don't expect Carnival to perfect and all knowing. No one is. I do need to respect how they handle the situation...so far I do. Others don't that is their choice.

Sorry, you do sound exactly like a cheerleader!

This is true except CBP doesn't require them to do so, they do it because it's cheaper than flying people back.

I might be wrong, but I don't think any airline ever entered my passport info into a computer. Of course they have my name, etc.

When flying from Canada into the US on Air Canada one has to provide advance passenger information - passport number, expiry date, etc. This is typically done on-line. If one does not complete the advance passenger information process, there is all sorts of red tape at check-in which includes providing passport information. See http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/APIS/apis.html for details of what and why. The page does not specify that passport number is required, but it and expiry date are required in the online provision form.

When someone flies into the US, they are required to have a passport to enter. If they don't because it was lost or stolen, there are specific extra security screenings that they must go through. What I'm saying is that those without passports should be required to go through those same extra screenings on their way back into the US. That means a private room and a lot of questions.

The manifest for the cruise was screened prior to the ship leaving its port of origin. If there is someone who has outstanding warrants, legal problems, whatever, CBP already knows about it. What other screening do these people need? They are going to have their declaration forms, their luggage and the passengers themselves will have the normal drug screening. No private rooms or wet noodle interrogations are needed.

what exactly is working and not working on the ship?

The Carnival statement they had full primary power. Enough to drive propulsion and I presume enough to fully power the "hotel" side?

I heard that the main dining room(s) were closed. True? If so, why? It really seems that the ship is fully powered and simply lacks emergency power and that's the reason they won't sail.

I feel very safe on Royal Caribbean and up until recently, I have felt safe on Carnival. I have sailed 22 cruises with Royal 22 (currenty diamond plus status) and 11 cruises with Carnival. Also all cruiselines at some point has dealt with Noro. What the OP is saying is there has been no major reported issues on Royal Caribbean, which warrant worldwide news coverage. I personally feel that all the cruiselines should dock their ships for maintenance after every 10 - 15 sailings. They come in and go back out so quickly, issues are bound to happen.

The only one I'm aware of is Canada (and not all airports), as I previously mentioned. I actually prefer that, you need to be at the airport early anyhow, might as well clear there and not have to wait around when you land.

Canada is common as it is easy (proximity to the US). But DUB also has immigration and customs in the airport.

So, it is always a dead-bus transfer? It would be nice to have the capability of synchronizing the oncoming power source with the running source and then have a bumpless transition. I understand a 27 device clearing the bus for the emergency source to pick up - but at 60 seconds, I take it that the emergency generator has already been running and field flashed? Here, we can have a 7.7 MW diesel generator on the bus in about 190 seconds - but that is starting with a pre-warmed engine.

Breaker relaying can be a real pain. I always start troubleshooting at the control power source, and then determine which relays have tripped (or not) and work "in" from there. But, like you said, mechanical issues have been the bane of these larger rackable power breakers for ages. Many of ours have had backup shunt trips installed over the years to combat this very concern.

Yes, due to the relative size difference between main and emergency generators, it is not usual to allow them to parallel.

The 60 seconds is for the breakers to trip, the generator to crank and start, come up to speed, and close on the bus. All marine generators are self-excited. Believe me, when you are on a completely dark ship those are the longest 60 seconds of your life. The emergency is there only to provide power when the main power goes off, which is why you have the dead bus transfer. Between the two main switchboards, you always have a synchronizing function for closed transition.

We are supposed to be sailing on the Dream on April 6th. Our first ever cruise..Needles to say, we are a little apprehensive about the whole experience right now:eek: Thinking of asking if I can get a refund now and try my luck with a sailing out of Miami on a different line...Unfortunately our flights are out of Orlando and that would add a rental car cost and a 3 hour drive to our plans. I think I will wait until early next week to make a decision.

Archived