Appropriate tip for Concierge?

Daghis

300....BWHAHAHAHA...that is too funny and shows a lack of knowledge of the size of Concierge Lounges.:D My favorite Concierge Lounge seats 34 people. The CL on the Oasis/Allure would be very hard pressed to accommodate 300.

I would have no idea how many people actually step foot in the CL on a night to night year round basis but if it is a big sailing they do open overflow lounges to handle large amounts-right??

I do think 300 is a bit steep though!!:eek:

Is there any difference between the work of the concierge in the DL vs. the CL. do they deserve equal tips, and do you think they get equal tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that in any tipped position, the person who is accommodating and pleasant will always get the best tips.

Is there any difference between the work of the concierge in the DL vs. the CL. do they deserve equal tips, and do you think they get equal tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is little difference, they do essentially the same thing for a different group of guests. The CL will get more involved with pre-cruise contacts for suite guests, arranging things like cabanas.

Having said all the above, we did have one Concierge who sat behind his desk the whole time and seemed to be angry that he was in the Diamond Lounge and not in the Concierge Lounge so he only got $20 from us as he did nothing, and I mean nothing.

Part of my puzzlement. Why not give that $20 to some crew member that helped to make your cruise - maybe that greeter at the Windjammer that put a smile on your face with her cheerfulness every morning when you went for coffee. Why tip for nothing, just because its the CL??!!

Well, I do use the CL on a daily basis for a couple of cappuccinos and a few drinks, and I think that $50 as a baseline for a week is pretty steep as well if the Concierge isn't visibly doing something for me. We will tip the bar server as we go, a dollar a drink (even on the final night). We may ask the Concierge to make a few reservations for us and apply our Internet coupons, and that's usually it. I figure $20 for 5-7 nights is about right for that level of service. If the Concierge does more for us, the tip goes up.

But there's no "right" answer.

The salary is probably decent, but it's half of what it used to be 3-4 years ago. But I have no idea where they started and where they are now, so I can only base my tips on what somebody does for me.

This is pretty much what we do. We mormally use the lounge forr the happy hour and an occasional cappucchino. At a dollar a drink each for the two of us three drinks each night that comes to $42 for the week - could be to one person or more depending how many servers in the lounge and how many drinks they serve us. (And that three drinks could stretch to five if we get to talking and stay the whole time - which we have been known to do on occasion!:o). $20 is it for the concierge unless he does something for us other than his behind the scenes normal duties. DH's father passed away while we were on a cruise and the concierge was very helpful. He received a substantially bigger tip.

So, if you're going in there to have a drink or two, and tipping the bartenders separately, why are you tipping the concierge in addition?

I am not looking for an excuse to not tip; I've just never been in the situation (but will be on my next cruise), so I am curious.

I tip the bartenders dailey and tip the concierge if he provides a service for me.

This will be my first cruise with access to a Concierge (in the Concierge Lounge). What is an appropriate tip for him? And am I correct in my understanding that the gratuity is typically offered on the last day of the cruise?

I know, I know . . . . . . Please don't flame me, just give me your opinion if you really want to.

For those who have seen my tip posts before, you will appreciate I tip the requested standard tips (room & dining plus standard 15% on purchased beverages) as well as room service on occasion.

However the Liberty transatlantic will be my first cruise with access to DL and I won't be tipping any extras in the DL. The concierge is there to assist me and is paid well. My status built up with hard earned cash already paid to RCCL gets me complimentary drinks. If I tip for these they are no longer free and would no longer be the perk I have earnt.

:-)

I know, I know . . . . . . Please don't flame me, just give me your opinion if you really want to.

For those who have seen my tip posts before, you will appreciate I tip the requested standard tips (room & dining plus standard 15% on purchased beverages) as well as room service on occasion.

However the Liberty transatlantic will be my first cruise with access to DL and I won't be tipping any extras in the DL. The concierge is there to assist me and is paid well. My status built up with hard earned cash already paid to RCCL gets me complimentary drinks. If I tip for these they are no longer free and would no longer be the perk I have earnt.

:-)

Since this is your first cruise in the DL, you will find that the concierge does not serve the drinks normally. It will be a bar server or servers dedicated for that night/cruise that will be getting your drinks. They do deserve a tip.

I agree... we do not tip the concierge for simply being the concierge. If they have done a service for us, then we do tip them accordingly.

Please do reconsider and tip the bar servers. Thanks

Since this is your first cruise in the DL, you will find that the concierge does not serve the drinks normally. It will be a bar server or servers dedicated for that night/cruise that will be getting your drinks. They do deserve a tip.

I agree... we do not tip the concierge for simply being the concierge. If they have done a service for us, then we do tip them accordingly.

Please do reconsider and tip the bar servers. Thanks

Sorry I was unclear in my post. Yes I know bartenders serve the drinks.

Thanks

Sorry I was unclear in my post. Yes I know bartenders serve the drinks.

Thanks

Okay, you said you will not be paying any extra tips in the DL and hard earned cash gets you free drinks......where did you say you would tip the servers!

Only you know if you are or your not!

Okay, you said you will not be paying any extra tips in the DL and hard earned cash gets you free drinks......where did you say you would tip the servers!

Only you know if you are or your not!

I won't be tipping the concierge or the servers :-)

I won't be tipping the concierge or the servers :-)

the bartenders are still providing you a service even if the drinks are free. so Unless you plan on pouring your own drinks, I would be ashamed to be associated with a person such as yourself who seems to find perverse pleasure in going out of your way to NOT tip.

why not just sail on a line where tipping is forbidden?!

I could see not tipping the concierge if you feel he has done nothing for you, but if the servers are bringing you drinks, you should tip them.

The perk is a complimentary DL with free drinks etc. I'm not going to tip in a lounge which is free due to a perk I have worked hard to build up over a long period of time.

Thanks for your comments though.

the bartenders are still providing you a service even if the drinks are free. so Unless you plan on pouring your own drinks, I would be ashamed to be associated with a person such as yourself who seems to find perverse pleasure in going out of your way to NOT tip.

why not just sail on a line where tipping is forbidden?!

No problem as we won't be associated.

I find no perverse pleasure at all in not tipping and am quite hurt at that comment. If you read my original post I tip all that is expected by RCI.

Happy cruising :-)

If the concierge lounge is well run and the concierge is friendly, we tip him/her as well as the bartenders at the end of the cruise. We have found that our tips have gone up progressively each cruise as we appreciate more and more a well run lounge! I believe it was $75 and $50 to the concierge and bartender respectively this past cruise.

No problem as we won't be associated.

I find no perverse pleasure at all in not tipping and am quite hurt at that comment. If you read my original post I tip all that is expected by RCI.

I agree that you seem to take a perverse pleasure in not tipping. The servers are working for tips.

and btw I don't think you are the type to get 'quite hurt' :rolleyes:

I agree that you seem to take a perverse pleasure in not tipping. The servers are working for tips.

and btw I don't think you are the type to get 'quite hurt' :rolleyes:

You seem very judgemental and presumptious. All part of CC with a range of different characters I suppose.

You seem very judgemental and presumptious. All part of CC with a range of different characters I suppose.

I'm judging, but it's on comments you are making. You're on a thread where people are stating what is customary, and not only are you saying that you'll tip at the low end, you're saying you won't do it at all.

So yeah, I'm judging you on that. You sound like a cheapskate. I'm not saying you are one, but you sound like one.

Just back from Brillance --- never saw the Concierge! Did ask when she would be in the Lounge and after a crew member called her she said she was heading there now. We were on the 10th floor and passed there many times a day --- never saw her there. I am used to NCL and their great Concierge service and will never pay for a RCCL suite again! There is just no suite service!

I can see tipping the bartender with each drink or even at the end if they will be there. No question in tipping the crew member.

Question is, Is the concierge a ships officer? If he is, you should not tip a ship officer.

Reason is, on the Radiance back in 2007 the concierge was a ships officer and he would not take the tip, he said it would be put into the pool. So we took it back and handed it right to the bartender.

Archived