Appropriate tip for Concierge?

Daghis

We're looking forward to our first cruise on RCCL so obviously our first experience with the Concierge and Concierge Lounge.

My assumption is that the people who work on ships in customer contact positions are paid a scale that assumes they will also get tips. Knowing that the concierge does not share in the regular billed tip thing was good to know - because I WILL tip something regardless of whether I use his services because knowing he is available is a luxury and comfort. AND because I know the pay scale assumes some level of tips. AND because I know some people wont tip at all.

But I know I'll use him because although we're not sailing for 2 months (and 2 days, but who's counting) I wrote to my concierge-to-be with a questions and he responded almost immediately with great information and has already made a reservation for us. I'm going to be emailing him again this weekend to arrange some things. I'm a big advance planner.

So I imagine (unless something odd happens) I will give him a handsome tip - which makes me happy. I enjoy my cruises and so appreciate anyone who makes them even nicer. And knowing that I had fun and enjoyed myself AND made someone else happy just makes me smile even more. It's like multiplying my enjoyment.

But if it makes you unhappy, then don't tip. Some of the rest of us will be covering your share.

I'm also glad to find out that the bartenders in the CL are not part of the tipping pool, because we will be using the lounge for after dinner drinks. SO now I'll plan on having some cash for them. So thanks for the information - and to those of you who get all bent out of shape about this - it's a cruise. Do what makes you happy.

I won't be tipping the concierge or the servers :-)

I seem to remember your rants from another tipping thread.

So what's the real reason you don't tip?

1. It's a European (British) thing?

2. The "help" doesn't deserve it?

3. You enjoy getting a rise out of CC members?

4. You are "entitled" to free stuff?

Enquiring minds want to know

I'd say opinion - not rant :-)

The real reason is, as I have already said on this thread :-

The DL perk is a free perk I am 'entitled to' (to use your words). I pay tips as RCI requires plus sometimes on top of this to room service. I am not paying extra tips in the DL for a free perk.

Your inflammatory judgement/statement about me enjoying getting a "rise out of CC members" is very silly. I am a very nice, easy going person and wouldn't upset people on purpose.

Happy cruising !!!!

I won't be tipping the concierge or the servers :-)

I can't imagine not tipping at least the servers who bring a drink or two to you. Even though you feel you have earned the free drinks, which you have, you haven't "earned" the tip that would be billed if you drank someplace on the ship where you paid for the drinks.

The perk is a free drink, the tip IS NOT FREE. If you really are not going to do so, please feel free to tell the servers when you get your first drink that you aren't going to be tipping at all so they can devote their time and attention to earning the tips that are part of their salary that are given by the others.

Sometimes I am just so surprised by the actions of cruisers that all I can say is wow and this is pretty much one of those occasions.

I can't imagine not tipping at least the servers who bring a drink or two to you. Even though you feel you have earned the free drinks, which you have, you haven't "earned" the tip that would be billed if you drank someplace on the ship where you paid for the drinks.

The perk is a free drink, the tip IS NOT FREE. If you really are not going to do so, please feel free to tell the servers when you get your first drink that you aren't going to be tipping at all so they can devote their time and attention to earning the tips that are part of their salary that are given by the others.

Sometimes I am just so surprised by the actions of cruisers that all I can say is wow and this is pretty much one of those occasions.

At least he's being honest on here, but I doubt he'll be that honest to the bartenders on the ship. ;)

Just for the sake of arguement, I guess he could tip 15% of the drink cost.

Also, how many tip for the free drinks at the welcome back and C&A parties?

The difference is personal service and ordering in the Diamond Club or Concierge Club versus bringing out a tray of drinks.

No problem as we won't be associated.

I find no perverse pleasure at all in not tipping and am quite hurt at that comment. If you read my original post I tip all that is expected by RCI.

Happy cruising :-)

Sorry but I will never understand your reasoning.:( We appreciate the service of the bartenders and will continue to tip them. If you find no pleasure in not tipping why do you continue? I am glad I am me.

I'd say opinion - not rant :-)

The real reason is, as I have already said on this thread :-

The DL perk is a free perk I am 'entitled to' (to use your words). I pay tips as RCI requires plus sometimes on top of this to room service. I am not paying extra tips in the DL for a free perk.

Your inflammatory judgement/statement about me enjoying getting a "rise out of CC members" is very silly. I am a very nice, easy going person and wouldn't upset people on purpose.

Happy cruising !!!!

From another perspective: Yes the drinks are free, however the service isn't. Since you do not make your own drinks, perhaps one could rationalize that one tips the delivery service.:)

Oops sorry did not see others had addressed the service issue vs the drink.

Please strike number 1 from this list. This has nothing to do with being British. We tipped the Concierge and the bartenders...just because they made our cruise that bit nicer. I just think it's all about provoking a reaction.

The poster has said in this thread that he tips all recommended tip and room service in addition. On a previous tipping thread, which got every bit as contentious, he stated he never tipped room service as it was not on the list of recommended tips.

It's hard to know exactly what someone does or doesn't do when even they don't seem clear on it themselves.

I think this all a bit of "troll-ing"? The individual seems intent on announcing their contentious actions in so many threads. Claims the staff express their unhappiness to him about the Captains, but presumably are ecstatic about their new found "friends" tipping habits? I wonder if just maybe that is why they are so unhappy when he speaks to them?

I am at a loss as to why there are so many "entitlement" posts regarding free upgrades and "perks" but so much railing against the staffs "perks" and expectations. In fairness he has alluded to a medical condition that might contribute to this, but it is inflamatory to simply keep announcing in this way.

If you are happy with not tipping more than you feel you need to that is absolutely fine. Constantly announcing how proud of yourself you are, by minimizing your "appreciation" to these people, whilst at the same time bragging endlessly about free upgrades, status and perceived entitlements is simply provocative and presumably intended to garner the responses that would likely be expected.

In this day and age of social media and instantly accessible information, it is very easy to familiarize yourself with a place, a type of vacation, and the social norms and customs that are expected. This board and this thread are proof of that. I think yogimax summed it up.

I think the answer to the Op's question depends on the value you receive from the concierge. On our last cruise the concierge was attentive and did a lot for 4 of us. We tipped $10 a day.

We tip each night and find the bartenders to be more attentive when we come in. $10-20 per night depending on how many drinks we have and if there are two or three of us. On the last night we give the concierge a $20-30 whether they did anything for us or not. This is in the D lounge. I will be in the CL after my next cruise, and intend to tip the same.

Please strike number 1 from this list. This has nothing to do with being British.

Well said :) This is the second time on this thread that this person has stated that Europeans/British are non-tippers.

Yogimax - unless you have travelled extensively on cruises in Europe and/or with many European/British cruisers and you KNOW for a fact that these people did not tip then many of us British and European cruisers would appreciate if you would not make such rash generalisations based on hearsay and on comments from a few people on these boards. :(

As others have posted it is subjective as to amounts but there will likely be 2 bartenders all week in the CL along with the Concierge. We have given cash in the envelopes to all seperately on the last night of the cruise. The $20 - $50 range as indicated also by others would be appropriate IMO. See you and Marc Saturday!

We had a great bartender on our TA a few years ago and he got $50 at the end of the cruise (2 people 2 weeks so really not a huge tip)

Well said :) This is the second time on this thread that this person has stated that Europeans/British are non-tippers.

Yogimax - unless you have travelled extensively on cruises in Europe and/or with many European/British cruisers and you KNOW for a fact that these people did not tip then many of us British and European cruisers would appreciate if you would not make such rash generalisations based on hearsay and on comments from a few people on these boards. :(

I think we all know that ALL Euros/Brits are not like this, but when someone makes a big stink about tipping here, and you look at their location, it is usually Euros/Brits rather than U.S.

Or maybe it is that the same euros/brits are making repeated negative postings.

First off, even though we are not American, we do tip the Concierge and Lounge Bartender in function of the service they provide, because we realize that RCCL ships follow American standards of tipping.

However, I must say that this entire thread is indeed based on the American perspective and concept of some desire to throw money at anybody and everybody believing that they will receive superior service for doing so.

The Concierge and Lounge Bartender on the Grandeur in Panama/Colombia and on the Splendour in Brazil receive very little money in tips because there are very few Americans aboard those cruises and the Latins do not have it in their culture to tip openly like the Americans do.

Despite receiving very little money in tips, those employees still provide excellent service which we have personally experienced and do not run around the lounge disgruntled because they do not receive tips. In fact, the service was better than on many U.S. based routes where those employees do receive a lot of tips.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

First off, even though we are not American, we do tip the Concierge and Lounge Bartender in function of the service they provide, because we realize that RCCL ships follow American standards of tipping.

However, I must say that this entire thread is indeed based on the American perspective and concept of some desire to throw money at anybody and everybody believing that they will receive superior service for doing so.

The Concierge and Lounge Bartender on the Grandeur in Panama/Colombia and on the Splendour in Brazil receive very little money in tips because there are very few Americans aboard those cruises and the Latins do not have it in their culture to tip openly like the Americans do.

Despite receiving very little money in tips, those employees still provide excellent service which we have personally experienced and do not run around the lounge disgruntled because they do not receive tips. In fact, the service was better than on many U.S. based routes where those employees do receive a lot of tips.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Good post. Maybe it takes a non-American to provide a reasonable perspective,

I generally tip about $10 per day. I'll split that between the concierge and the bartender(s) depending on how much service I get from each. At one time the concierge was alone so they also served as bartender and would get the entire tip.

I ask the bartenders on the first evening if they will be with us all week. If so, then I'll tip at the end of the cruise. If they say they won't be assigned the entire cruise, I'll tip each evening. If there are a lot of D and D+ on board and multiple lounges are open, I'll tip $1 each drink because I may move around each night depending on where seats are available.

On Allure and Oasis I'll tip extra for breakfast and lunch service.

the concierge is NOT included in those daily tips.

Daghis: honestly its a subjective thing for both the Concierge and the bartender. Our Bartenders have been VERY good to us so they tend to get about $50 at the end of a week long cruise. the Concierge gets between $20 and 50, based on how much he does for us. sometimes we don't use him for anything but to chit chat and others he takes care of a lot of stuff for us, issues with the cabin, reservations, etc. I normally just snag the envelopes in the desk that goes with the stationary. although in the future I think I may start taking some of my handmade thank you cards since they no longer give out the vouchers.

It should be noted that we use the CL a LOT.. as in every morning for breakfast( well sometimes second breakfast) and tend to be there for most if not all of the nightly cocktail hour.

Yes you do! ;) :D

I know, I know . . . . . . Please don't flame me, just give me your opinion if you really want to.

For those who have seen my tip posts before, you will appreciate I tip the requested standard tips (room & dining plus standard 15% on purchased beverages) as well as room service on occasion.

However the Liberty transatlantic will be my first cruise with access to DL and I won't be tipping any extras in the DL. The concierge is there to assist me and is paid well. My status built up with hard earned cash already paid to RCCL gets me complimentary drinks. If I tip for these they are no longer free and would no longer be the perk I have earnt.

:-)

I am curious how you know that the Concierge is paid well.

My opinion: My cash is also hard-earned, as I suspect is the case with most of our fellow posters. But it's paid to a company that only trickles down to its bar servers a place to sleep, some food and a modest stipend. The rest of their pay is earned through tips, either charged automatically in the "pay" bars or from passengers In the CL and DL. In my opinion, it's not fair to expect them to work for nothing in the CL, which is why we tip them.

I know, I know . . . . . . Please don't flame me, just give me your opinion if you really want to.

For those who have seen my tip posts before, you will appreciate I tip the requested standard tips (room & dining plus standard 15% on purchased beverages) as well as room service on occasion.

However the Liberty transatlantic will be my first cruise with access to DL and I won't be tipping any extras in the DL. The concierge is there to assist me and is paid well. My status built up with hard earned cash already paid to RCCL gets me complimentary drinks. If I tip for these they are no longer free and would no longer be the perk I have earnt.

:-)

Thank you for the invitation.

My opinion is that you are what we call around here an attention...............grabber. :eek: (that's not the word we use)

And that you are a total cheapskate and narcissist.

But most of all, I would think that after 1,108 posts on Cruise Critic, each of which (as I have observed) have snarky little smilies on them, you would have noticed that colon hyphen parenthesis does NOT make a smiley.

Colon parenthesis DOES.

:) :) :) :rolleyes:

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Well, I usually agree with you, but I think this post is poorly worded, making it sound insulting, which I do not think was your intent. I really don't want to 'throw money at anybody and everybody'. I am actually quite thrifty, but I do believe that bar servers on Royal should be tipped for services provided, even if they are serving 'free drinks'. I do not do it to get 'better service'; service has always been excellent. I do it because it is customary and a way of showing my appreciation to someone who has made my vacation pleasant. I also write thank yous and fill out the comment cards, which I am sure is also appreciated by the crew.

Regarding your impression that non-tipped servers perform better than tipped ones: I think that is open for debate. As I said previously, I have always received excellent service from our U.S. cruise-based bartenders so your servers must have been something special and over the top.

I wanted to add that I think your view of the 'american perspective' is that we like to be showy with money. It's not about that, it's about the fact that most U.S. servers, bartenders, hairdressers, etc, are considered to work in tipped positions, and the tips are what make their salary livable. This sounds wrong to people in other countries who have a minimum wage that negates the need to tip. It is two different systems. I think euros/brits like to make value judgements about our tipping behavior, which is simply a way of compensating an employee for a job well-done and is expected, unlike your system where a tip is a small amount given for above and beyond service.

We won't be Diamond until after our Freedom cruise in September, but I had to chime in on this thread anyways!

For the fellow that refuses to tip on 'free' drinks, I have this to ask. What do you do in a restaurant when they have a coupon? For example, a local family owned restaurant near us has BOGO (Buy One Get One Free) Tuesdays. The place is always packed that night. When I get my bill the charge for the cheaper entree is removed. So .... do you tip on the amount of the bill or on the amount of the bill BEFORE the 'free' entree was removed? We always tip on the TOTAL amount of the bill BEFORE the free food was removed. After all, it is not the servers fault that we had a coupon. She deserves to be tipped for the full amount.

So what do YOU do Mr. 'I Don't Tip for Free Drinks'???

Archived