Hubby rethinking our cruise

lbfluffy

So, then WHY do you come into the Carnival forum?

This is the most annoying question ever. Because he can! Anyone can go anywhere on Cruise Critic. Do you have to enter your VIFP number before gaining access to the Carnival board?

An uninformed cruiser is the worst kind of cruiser. I LOVE to see what the competition is doing. I regularly peruse all the boards of most major and non major cruise lines just to see what new things they have going on which might make me want to try them OR avoid them in the future.

Ahhh .... so read and be quiet. :P

Hey, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Just giving my thoughts. And I think Carnival is a risk. (And I don't think many cruisers would disagree.). I'm sorry if I personally offended anyone. I thought forums were for discussing thoughts and opinions. Wow.

Not sure if it's lack of maintenance or bad ship design or just plain bad luck, or maybe a combination of all three.

I am inclined to think the ship design might be a factor. All these problematic ships come from the same Destiny base model.

I am hoping Breeze won't be the next.

Not sure if it's lack of maintenance or bad ship design or just plain bad luck, or maybe a combination of all three.

I am inclined to think the ship design might be a factor. All these problematic ships come from the same Destiny base model.

I am hoping Breeze won't be the next.

I think the RCI captain who said lack of redundancy was on the mark. Sure other lines have had problems, but I don't remember hearing about any other lines having a ship towed into another port days late or having to fly a ship load of passengers back home because the ship was stuck in a long time.

I was living in St Thomas when the Angelina Lauro (Costa) caught fire & sank. They of course had to fly everyone home. They didn't have any place to put the crew so some of us took them in. Does anyone else know of an incident like this?

Man, I would not do Carnival. Not worth the risk.

I'm fed up too. When I saw the Dream on cnn tonight I was mad....

Mad I wasn't on there with those lucky SOBs! Ha ha ha! can't wait for my July Dream cruise!!

I am ready to set sail in July and they can't stay out of the news! Get it together Carnival so that I can enjoy my 7 Day Southern Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Can't wait to stop in St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St Kitts, and St. Maarten! Anyone else feeling like this??!!!

They, for safety, chose not to sail home without a generator.

For safety....HAHAHA. There is a maritime law stating that a backup generator must be fully operational before sailing which is why it is tested before they leave port. They were forbidden to leave due to this. NOw that Carnival is known for faulty ships, everyone is keeping a very close eye on them.

I read all the posts about being worried because maint. is lacking, but IF you read the articles, it says the problem was; "During regularly scheduled testing of the ship's emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred"!!!! They were doing tests when it failed! Therefore rather than risk another issue like the triumph, they decided it was best to stay in port. Who wouldn't wanna be stuck there??? They are refunding 3 days and giving 50% off future cruise, AND flying the people back home... At no charge... What do you people want them to do???

I think Carnival has been more than admiral in their treating of both incidents.

I am sure other lines have head issues also. We were on Liberty of the Seas in December, and we did not leave port until 8pm that night due to repairs needed to the propulsion system. You didn't hear about that on the news, and guess what we got for the troubles... Not one red cent!!!! But I didn't expect anything either. It just happens sometimes.

LIKE MY MOMMA USED TO SAY: "SOME PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN IF THEIR ICE CREAM WAS COLD"!!!!!

Have a nice day:)

I read all the posts about being worried because maint. is lacking, but IF you read the articles, it says the problem was; "During regularly scheduled testing of the ship's emergency diesel generator, a malfunction occurred"!!!! They were doing tests when it failed! Therefore rather than risk another issue like the triumph, they decided it was best to stay in port. Who wouldn't wanna be stuck there??? They are refunding 3 days and giving 50% off future cruise, AND flying the people back home... At no charge... What do you people want them to do???

I think Carnival has been more than admiral in their treating of both incidents.

I am sure other lines have head issues also. We were on Liberty of the Seas in December, and we did not leave port until 8pm that night due to repairs needed to the propulsion system. You didn't hear about that on the news, and guess what we got for the troubles... Not one red cent!!!! But I didn't expect anything either. It just happens sometimes.

LIKE MY MOMMA USED TO SAY: "SOME PEOPLE WOULD COMPLAIN IF THEIR ICE CREAM WAS COLD"!!!!!

Have a nice day:)

You are not allowed to sail with a malfunctioning generator. It's a safety issue.

I am ready to set sail in July and they can't stay out of the news! Get it together Carnival so that I can enjoy my 7 Day Southern Caribbean Cruise out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Can't wait to stop in St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St Kitts, and St. Maarten! Anyone else feeling like this??!!!

Nope

We were on Liberty of the Seas in December, and we did not leave port until 8pm that night due to repairs needed to the propulsion system. You didn't hear about that on the news, and guess what we got for the troubles... Not one red cent!!!! But I didn't expect anything either.

Wow, I am surprised you brought that up since....

RCI Liberty (4) (favorite ship)

Honestly if I am going to be on a mode of transportation that loses power, I would much rather it be a ship than an airplane at 30000 feet.

I was supposed to fly home from a trip to Tunica when we got on the plane they told us there was an oil leak and our we got stuck for an extra day but that never made the news, thank god that happened while on the ground. Two weeks later our son was on a plane home from National Guard duty when one of the engines on his plane blew out. Thankfully they were able to land safely but his plane never made the news either. I guess what I am trying to say is two things. Engine and power problems happen on all types of transportation, and since cruises are high profile the news people make it sound like a disaster

Honestly if I am going to be on a mode of transportation that loses power, I would much rather it be a ship than an airplane at 30000 feet.

I was supposed to fly home from a trip to Tunica when we got on the plane they told us there was an oil leak and our we got stuck for an extra day but that never made the news, thank god that happened while on the ground. Two weeks later our son was on a plane home from National Guard duty when one of the engines on his plane blew out. Thankfully they were able to land safely but his plane never made the news either. I guess what I am trying to say is two things. Engine and power problems happen on all types of transportation, and since cruises are high profile the news people make it sound like a disaster

Where's the "Like" button??

Sailing on the Freedom next week....and plan on sailing the Valor in September out of SJ. No plans to cancel, or defect, or stop booking cruises.

The ones I really feel bad for are the ones who had their cruise cancelled due to the ship problems. So much anticipation and then getting told your vacation is a no go is not much fun. I know because this happened to me in 2007 when my Alaskan cruise on a Celebrity ship was cancelled 10 days before we were set to sail.

I am surer that Carnival is doing everything possible to take care of passengers - both current and future, and work on the problems with their ships.

Reposting CCL's FAQ on the Dream incident

Q: What is going on with Carnival Dream? What happened?

While at dock in St. Maarten yesterday, the ship’s engineering team conducted a regularly scheduled test of the ship’s emergency diesel generator. A malfunction occurred which has rendered the emergency generator inoperable. At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted. However, for a period of time last night, there were interruptions to the elevators and restroom services. Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Where was the ship when the problem occurred?

The Carnival Dream was at dock in St. Maarten during a regularly scheduled port of call visit and remains there currently. All passengers are safe and comfortable.

Q: Did the ship lose power?

At no time did the ship lose power and the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power sources were not impacted.

Q: Why is the ship not able to sail back to Port Canaveral?

While the ship’s propulsion systems and primary power source were not impacted, in an abundance of caution, we prefer not to sail with guests on board without an operational back up emergency generator.

Q: Are the toilets and elevators working?

Toilets and elevators are currently working, and have been since about 12:30am.

Q: Is it true that toilets were overflowing and sewage on floors, in hallways, etc.?

We have had multiple conversations with the ship’s management team. Based on the ship’s service logs and extensive physical monitoring of all public areas, including restrooms, throughout the night, we can confirm that only one public restroom was taken offline for cleaning based on toilet overflow and there was a total of one request for cleaning of a guest cabin bathroom. Aside from that there have been no reports of issues on board with overflowing toilets or sewage. The toilet system had periodic interruptions yesterday evening and was fully restored at approximately 12.30am this morning.

Q: Are guests allowed to get off the ship?

Guests have the option to get off the ship to visit the port of St. Maarten until their scheduled return home. We have also arranged complimentary water taxi service for guests who wish to explore other areas of the island.

Q: What is going to happen with the guests from here?

All guests are being flown via a combination of commercial and private chartered air to either Orlando, which is the closest air gateway to Port Canaveral, or to their final destination depending on their individual needs.

Q: Is it true that Carnival is flying everyone to Miami and putting them on buses?

No.

Q: What kind of compensation will they receive?

Guests on the current voyage will receive a refund equivalent to three days of the voyage and 50 percent off a future cruise.

Q: Are you cancelling future cruises?

We have cancelled the ship’s next voyage which is scheduled to depart on Saturday, March, 16. Guests scheduled to sail on this cruise will receive a full refund and 25 percent off a future seven-day cruise. Guests who re-book will have their current rate protected on the future sailing. Additionally, any non-refundable transportation related expenses will be reimbursed.

Q: How many passengers and crew are onboard?

There are 4,363 guests and 1370 crew on Carnival Dream.

Q: What are you doing to help passengers without passports?

We have already addressed this issue with the relevant authorities and the guests will not have an issue traveling without passports.

Hey, I'm not trying to offend anyone. Just giving my thoughts. And I think Carnival is a risk. (And I don't think many cruisers would disagree.). I'm sorry if I personally offended anyone. I thought forums were for discussing thoughts and opinions. Wow.

They are. Welcome. :)

This is the most annoying question ever. Because he can! Anyone can go anywhere on Cruise Critic. Do you have to enter your VIFP number before gaining access to the Carnival board?

Why is it so annoying? If they have never sailed Carnival nor ever intend to sail Carnival, why post that comment?

No one is saying they can't look at any thread they want but seriously, if you don't even cruise the line, something unfortunate happens, they come over and say how they would never sail Carnival. Come on!

What is the point to that? Good for them, then they have nothing to worry about but stay out of the carnival forum! :rolleyes:

Archived