Hubby rethinking our cruise

lbfluffy

And who hired the crew that hit the rock?

and excuse me...the Dream got stuck at the dock at the end of the trip.

I'm sure the passengers can take solace.

Feel free to cruise CCL.....I won't

It's not stuck. The backup generator failed but everything else is fine. They, for safety, chose not to sail home without a generator.

By all means, keep your norovirus on RC and sail elsewhere. With that sunny disposition, I wouldn't want you occupying a chair nearby anyway.:cool:

I really enjoy Carnival and believe they offer a lot of bang for the buck. But, I'm not prepared to worry if I would be going on a cruise at all (ship breaks down the previous week), breaks down underway or breaks down in port. You look forward for months for that magical week on a cruise and then something happens beyond your control. Yes, I think Carnival takes extraordinary care of the passengers when this kind of thing happens but that doesn't replace the memories you would have had if nothing had gone wrong.

Those who like to use that phrase "Ship happens" probably haven't had this happen to them. Yes, stuff happens but if it happens because of a lax maintenance program then I'm more than prepared to switch lines until Carnival gets their collective acts together.

Costa incident was due to the negligence of a narcissistic captain,

1. Who Hired that captain?

2. Who trained that captain?

3. Who failed to instill a "safety first" mentality into that captain?

I guess if it's cost effective, they wouldn't maintain their ships.

I don't think it is a case of Carnival not maintaining their ships.

How can this now, with the Dream, the Triumph and Splendor be more cost effective in dealing with the aftermath of those mechanical problems, rather than the cost of routine maintenance?

I think it is just really bad timing for Carnival.

There may well be two different ideas of a "well maintained" ship. There's Carnival's idea and the passengers' idea. Carnival, who some might compare to a slum lord, might be doing just enough maintenance to keep the ships running 24/7. Slum lords are the same way. They'll only provide enough maintenance to keep the structure rentable, even if just barely.

A passenger's idea of "well maintained" might include a cruise line taking a ship out of service for a week for just maintenance. Perhaps they could do it more frequently than once every 2-5 years for the so-called upgrades (like Carnival's 2.0 upgrade program). It's like the only time Carnival wants to take a ship out of service for any length of time is to find new ways to generate more income. What about just doing it for safety's sake?

My hubby is having some serious second thoughts on cruising (if we don't get cancelled) on Dream in 3wks. I know that accidents happen and we've sailed multiple times before and once before on Carnival. I'm just thankful that this incident occurred while they were in port and not out in the middle of the ocean somewhere! Any opinions on staying booked?? Hubby is thinking of taking DS to Disney instead. :confused:

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise- it's not like you're going to DIE out there. It's not as though the Boeing Dreamliner had three major accidents in two years or something. I would just worry that my cruise is going to be canceled. Chances are Carnival is completely lying about what's happening and they're going to need a longer time to straighten things out.

The truth is, anything can happen anywhere at any time, and not only on cruise ships. I won't let some of the recent happenings with cruise ships, stop me from cruising. I'd tell your husband to look at all of the cruise ships that are out there, and how they're constantly 'on the go'. Life's too short not to enjoy everything in life you are able to do.

I totally agree... lbfluffy we went on the Breeze US inaugural sailing and had an amazing time.. of all the CCL ships we have been on we have never felt unsafe at anytime..The crew is trained to deal with these sort of things and will take care of you no matter what..

The media will stretch the truth as far as it will go to the point of it breaking ..don't let it scare you away from the breeze.. there is also many on here just to spread hate, fear and stir the pot ..don't let them get to you they are not worth it.. Go on your cruise,have a wonderful time and leave a review so others know how great it was..Cheers!

And, I don't see any Carnival ships on your signature....so your comparison is based on what?

I think the RCCL ships are prettier - not as friendly, and very "uppity" clientele (and old - and believe me, so are we)

Princess - also pretty and well designed - food has been awful on our sailings.

Carnival - friendly, casual atmosphere, great food, well-designed and spacious cabins.

Dolphin - Terrifying experience 20 years ago!

Been on the Sensation

I would go with disney or another cruise. I would never sail carnival before all this and will never now for sure. Go with your husbands instincts before anything else happens! Just glad they were in st. Maarten and not out in the middle of the sea!

Anything can happen anytime anywhere you go. No one can predict what might or might not happen. We have been on 7 Carnival Cruises, different ships and never had a problem.

How may plane crashes, car crashes do you hear about? You still fly and drive! Keep your cruise and if something should happen do the best you can to make the best of a situation just like you would anything else. It's not like Carnival did any of this on purpose. I don't think they want a bunch of angry passengers.

We were on the Dream last month - our 5th cruise with Carnival since 2010 - and were definitely underwhelmed. I realize part of the problem is our perception - what impressed and excited me once doesn't so easily anymore. And more than anything, I'm starting to find the ships feel redundant... they all feel 'the same' - same decor, same food, same entertainment.... if you've seen one, you've seen them all (except maybe the Breeze). There were other issues, some Carnival's (IMO) and some not... For the first time I was disappointed in a cruise. There was no major issue, nothing went horribly wrong.... but the whole experience added up to me being less than enthused. Then the Triumph happened. Now this. If I hadn't decided it was time to move on from Carnival before.... I certainly have now.

I really have never understood why the Carnival bashers feel the need to come and peruse the "Carnival Cruise Lines" blog and then comment on how they will never cruise with Carnival. :confused:

Because the other boards are relatively boring compared to the fun and feistiness of the Carnival board.

We sail RCI. We picked it after looking at several factors after looking at incident reports of fires, mechanical, crimes, etc. While almost all lines did a pretty good job, Carnival did have a few more problems.

About a year and a half ago at the Meet and Mingle aboard the Enchament of the Seas, I aksed the Captain what was the the problem with Carnival ships. He wasn't very specific, but he said their is difference in the way RCI and Carnival designs ships. Separate redundancy was an RCI design feature. He id not elaborate beyond that.

We sail RCI. We picked it after looking at several factors after looking at incident reports of fires, mechanical, crimes, etc. While almost all lines did a pretty good job, Carnival did have a few more problems.

About a year and a half ago at the Meet and Mingle aboard the Enchament of the Seas, I aksed the Captain what was the the problem with Carnival ships. He wasn't very specific, but he said their is difference in the way RCI and Carnival designs ships. Separate redundancy was an RCI design feature. He id not elaborate beyond that.

I bet if I asked a Carnival captain what is the problem with RC, that captain would have something negative to say about them also.

I bet if I asked a Carnival captain what is the problem with RC, that captain would have something negative to say about them also.

Probably, but Carnival is the one that's always in the news. (And I don't even like RCI.)

Archived