New to Oceania. .lots of questions

mamaofami

We've inquired 3-4 times but the price was always more than we could do on our own.

There are some cruises now being offered that give special perks, including $799 business fare. BUT, it's a very limited group of cruises.

Mura

Another question, but definitely not my last. Is there any advantage to booking directly with Oceania's TA? Is there a downside to doing that?

For me, the main downside would be that you might miss out on perks like cashbacks and OBC's that TA's may offer. The other slight drawback is that a good TA knows the ships personally, and can give you good advice about cabins, including steering you clear of any problem cabins.

Of course, no one here can recommend a TA.

What has been the experience of getting (roughly) what you want? We are looking to fly business class.

Thanks

You can get exactly what you want. When requesting a Deviation ask about the a routing you are interested in. They will respond with the the additional cost for air fare, if any though I suspect depending on the flights you choose there is a better chance at additional air fare. But you do get want you want. Also though depending on where you are flying to/from they might not have contracts with certain carriers so then it would not be possible. But then if you only want exactly those flights you can take the air credit and book it yourself or through your TA.

We have always let O make the first suggestion and half the time those flights have been the as good as what we could find on our own.

Thanks to Carol for starting this train of thought. It's prompted a question.

I am on the same TA that Carol has referred to---Riviera from Barcelona to Miami.

My closest international airport is Boston, which is fine for the flight over. However, my closest domestic airport is Providence, which is much more desirable for the flight home.

So, my question is, will Oceania allow a deviation that flies me out of Boston, yet back to Providence??? That would be great if I can do that.

I will also want to fly out a day early, but I know I can do that.

Also, what hotel does Oceania use for their pre-cruise hotel? (I did not ask how much for the hotel, so, please don't answer a question not asked.)

Your question about Boston/Providence is related to mine.

Providence is not an Oceania Gateway city, so you might very well have to pay a non-gateway" fee, as explained to me a few posts ago.

I could not agree more. Same goes for their transfers.

You will save many hundreds of dollars booking your own hotel and your own transfers.

Every time I read this I wonder why FDR doesn't realize, or care, that so many don't use O hotels or transfers because of the over the top costs.

It may not be a matter of realizing or not caring. O knows that transferring everybody would be awfully difficult, so they probably don't *want* everybody using the transfers. I'm just guessing, of course.

(On our second Renaissance cruise of three, we had booked our own air but happened to be on the Ren flight to Athens ... so we just walked onto the shuttle bus and nobody checked to see if we had a right to be there. That doesn't happen with O! And it was a fluke even with Ren. We had no idea when we booked the flight that it would be a flight Ren was using.)

They also probably don't worry about those of us who do our own tours. They can't accommodate a full shipload of passengers on ship's tours. So to a certain extent it is to their advantage that not everyone wants a ship's tour.

Again, just guessing.

Mura

Your question about Boston/Providence is related to mine.

Providence is not an Oceania Gateway city, so you might very well have to pay a non-gateway" fee, as explained to me a few posts ago.

Good point, thanks. Might as well do my own air, as I don't want to have to get home from Boston after a long day.

Every time I read this I wonder why FDR doesn't realize, or care, that so many don't use O hotels or transfers because of the over the top costs.

There are people who do use the hotel packages & the transfers

If there was no interest in them then that might be another story

Not everyone wants to DIY there are people willing to pay to be looked after from start to finish

Lyn

we are doing lisbon to rio in 2014....we do not need to come in a day early to lisbon, nor do we want to stay extra in rio....

is there any reason why we should pay for a deviation...it is our first time with O, so not at all sure about this....

No reason to

Unless

you want to pick your flights so you know the routing & not wait until close to sailing if using Oceania air

I would recommend though that you do fly in the day before in case of weather or other delays

Though I do not know where you are flying from so maybe you are close to Lisbon:confused:

flying in from toronto...in nov not much of a weather issue...

I think you are saying that by not paying for a deviation, O may just slap together a bunch of flights and connections to get us there, rather than a direct route that may exist earlier on....

want to do it with as few connections as poss....

and for that they may want a deviation fee?....

Airlines have been known to have delays that had nothing to do with the weather. A friend of mine missed the departure from Dover and didn't catch the ship until two ports later because UAL cancelled flights, I forget why but it had nothing to do with the weather. It's just a precaution most of us take.

Lisbon is one of our favorite cities so I am puzzled as to why you don't want to spend time there -- not that it's any of my business! And maybe you've been there so often you feel you've seen enough, or work commitments don't allow you to stay away. I can see lots of reasons why you wouldn't WANT to come in early.

But most of us think it's safer. If you come in a day early but use their overpriced hotel package, it can work out to your advantage because you don't have to buy a transfer.

Coming home isn't a problem, but getting to the ship on time can be.

flying in from toronto...in nov not much of a weather issue...

I think you are saying that by not paying for a deviation, O may just slap together a bunch of flights and connections to get us there, rather than a direct route that may exist earlier on....

want to do it with as few connections as poss....

and for that they may want a deviation fee?....

I am not saying that at all

I usually pay the deviation & choose my flights ...just because I like to know in advance

Not into surprises ;)

I would check what flight you can DIY then ask Oceania what flights they will give you on the dates you want

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

BTW

I remember having snow on Halloween so weather can still be an issue;)

JMO

You should do what works best for you

Lyn

thanks mura...

yes we have been to lisbon before and would take a night flight, getting us in at 9 am...sailing is at 5 I guess....

I would never ever take a flight to Florida for a Caribbean cruise the day of a cruise, let alone to Europe. Too many kinds of delays that are possible and I would be too nervous that I would miss the ship.

Beachchairs, Toronto is a good hub to fly to Europe. So I wouldn't worry too much about how they route you. There will be a stopover of course, perhaps Frankfurt, Amsterdam, London, something like that. Unlikely that they would do a more arcane routing through the US, for example. Just my opinion, of course.

I'd still fly in the day before.

thanks everyone....we fly at night..yes prob though frank...although there is a good route through newark....arrive at 8:50 am...just hope they offer it....lisbon airport is close to pier...so seems like lots of time to get on the ship....yes things do happen...we have all kinds of cancellation...

would just then go home....book another cruise....no problem...

just think it is a huge cash grab....

O went from free deviation to charging some but 150 pp...is just too much...yes I am stubborn....lol....

Thanks to Carol for starting this train of thought. It's prompted a question.

I am on the same TA that Carol has referred to---Riviera from Barcelona to Miami.

My closest international airport is Boston, which is fine for the flight over. However, my closest domestic airport is Providence, which is much more desirable for the flight home.

So, my question is, will Oceania allow a deviation that flies me out of Boston, yet back to Providence??? That would be great if I can do that.

I will also want to fly out a day early, but I know I can do that.

Also, what hotel does Oceania use for their pre-cruise hotel? (I did not ask how much for the hotel, so, please don't answer a question not asked.)

Ruth,

What a nice surprise to see you on here. I remember you from HAL board; you have provided many good answers. Do they have the chocolates for you on this line? We are taking the Holiday cruise out of Miami at the end of the year. Hope you have a great cruise.

Jo Ann

O went from free deviation to charging some but 150 pp...is just too much...yes I am stubborn....lol....

That must have been a long time ago for free deviations :rolleyes:

We paid a deviation in 2004

Archived